Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What did I do wrong here?  (Read 1137 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
What did I do wrong here?
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:37:11 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/24/game-20120924-082805-a8da8915.html

I thought a) I had an awesome plan, and b) it was working well. Then by midgame it was clear that I was gaining ground very slowly, though my GF had very little money, and was trashing it at that.  I suspect my mistake was at turn 11, instead of attacking again with the Pirate Ship, just play them for 4$, because 2x$4 +Province, whereas 2x$5 gets me nothing extra on a board with no +buy.

To add insult to injury, she got the award for winning without buying a green card.

PPE: Wait, she bought an estate on turn 1!!!  Is this a bug?

Edit:  GF has kindly pointed out that the award is for winning without any green cards in her deck at the end.  :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:53:16 am by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: What did I do wrong here?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:47:14 am »
+1

Simple fact was that you weren't prepared to get all 8 Provinces. Super thin decks choke really hard on green, especially ones like yours where you have to line up Shanty Town and 2x Pirate Ship in each hand, and Shanty Town doesn't typically draw cards.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:09:36 pm »

Simple fact was that you weren't prepared to get all 8 Provinces. Super thin decks choke really hard on green, especially ones like yours where you have to line up Shanty Town and 2x Pirate Ship in each hand, and Shanty Town doesn't typically draw cards.
With all due respect, I don't think that argument holds water.  Starting at turn 12 (in which I bought my 1st province), I bought a province every turn except 18.  I grant you that if I could have bought Province on 18, I may have won, and that may be what you are trying to tell me.  But a province every turn is not my definition of a deck choking.  Do I need to rethink my definitions?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I can see how your statement about thin decks would be true in general (I don't have much experience with thin decks).  Are you saying this specific deck choked on green?  I had (some) drawing power in Shanty Towns, and IIRC had turns where I purposely didn't play remaining Shanty Towns as they were unnecessary. Unfortunately, that was not true for Turn 18, and that may be your point.  I'm also open to the notion that you're telling me I'm lucky my deck didn't choke harder.

Thanks very much for the post. I hope you will elaborate.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:16 pm »
+1

If you play pirates in this kingdom there's a big risk of your opponent making a small pirate-proof deck that can score points every turn. This means that the pirate deck has to buy out a lot of green cards and it isn't an easy kingdom to do that. The drawing cards are not suited to the task.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.