Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 'Spoils' based fan set; Dominion: Ransacked  (Read 2538 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
'Spoils' based fan set; Dominion: Ransacked
« on: September 23, 2012, 03:28:12 pm »

I was really bored last night and got thinking of other cards that could give you Spoils. Then I thought, what if there was an entire set based on Spoils!?

And that's how Dominion: Ransacked was born.

The set takes place during Dark Ages, while you are sitting in your castle, throwing out demands. What are your people doing to sustain themselves? Stealing and attacking others of course. You need Dark Ages to play this (or at least the 10 Spoils cards in the set)

The theme of the set is, of course, Spoils. Cards that get you Spoils, interact with Spoils, and even trash Spoils! If a card specifically mentions Spoils, you add it in, otherwise, you don't.

Of course, the only theme of the set can't be what type of cards there are. A side theme is tough choices. The kind of cards that make you want to scream at your opponent for playing them and resign immediately. How fun!  ;D

There are 12 Kingdom cards as well as 10 additional 'Spoils' cards. All the cards' names are very thematic.

On to the cards!

Please note, these are all untested.

Arsonist
Action
Cost:2

+2$
Trash 2 Spoils cards from its supply pile. Return 1 card from the trash to its supply pile.

I wanted a card to counter all these Spoils gainers, hence the first part. I added the second part to make the card more interesting and can make for some intriguing games.

Raid
Action-Attack
Cost: 2

+1 Action
Each other player may discard a card. If at least one player didn't, gain a Spoils.

The first Attack card of the set! There are 3 of them and are each equally aggravating. The lack of hand limit is intentional as well as the cost and +1 Action. This is a card you want to play a bunch of.

It's sort of an optional attack. You don't have to discard, but if you don't, they raid your kingdom and take your Spoils.

Savage
Action
Cost: 3

Gain 2 Spoils.

I really wanted a card called Savage. Someone who just rushes in and takes a bunch of Spoils. So this card was made. No idea if it's too strong, but it looks OK.

Ambush
Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Trash this. The player to your left chooses 1: You gain a Spoils, putting it into your hand, or you gain an Ambush.

Ambushes can come out of no where! And you have to react fast. Do you give them what they want? Or do you prolong their attack again? It's up to you to decide...

My favorite card of the set. I wanted the Spoils to go in hand so that everything is one shot, but it might make it too strong.

Profiteer
Action-Reaction
Cost: 4

+1 Action
+1 Buy

Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Spoils. Put it into your hand, discard the other revealed cards.

Whenever you gain a Silver, you may reveal this card from your hand. Gain a Spoils instead.

Donald said in the secret histories that in Dark Ages, Silver gaining became Spoils gaining. The bottom card was on a different card in this set, but the top part had to have a way to get Spoils, so I added on the bottom part.

If the Reaction is too strong I might make it be set aside/discarded.

Smelter
Action

Trash a Spoils from your hand. If you do, gain a Gold, putting it into your hand.

When you gain this, gain a Spoils.

The first card I made for the set. I wanted a way to turn those 1-shot Golds into permanent Golds. Smelting them seemed like the best way to do it. This card also gives you a way to "buy" Spoils. Probably the most balanced card of the set.

Desolate Village
Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a 0 cost card, you may either trash it or put it into your hand. If it isn't, put it back on top of your deck.

The first card in the set that interacts with Spoils, but doesn't explicitly mention Spoils. This card can be played without any of the other Spoils gainers, but it's stronger with them.

Rubble
Action-Victory

Gain a Spoils

Worth 1 VP per Spoils card in your deck.

Every set needs a Victory card! And this one is an interesting set to make one for. It makes you want to gain Spoils, but if you use them, it's worth a lot less at the end of the game.

Might change to every 2 Spoils in your deck, but I don't think the card is too strong. I really need a good name for this one. "Rubble" isn't that thematic.

Barbarian
Action-Attack
Cost: 5

+2 Cards
Each other player discards a card with a cost of 0 from their hand, or reveals a hand with no such card. For each discarded card, choose 1: You gain a copy of it, or they do.

In the interlude to Dark Ages, Donald mentioned "Barbarians" and everyone tried to think what card it could be.

Turns out, there was no such card. So I thought, it would be an interesting idea to try out in this fan set.

But what would a Barbarian do? Attack helpless people and worthless things and either take it for themselves, or throw it back.

This card is pretty good, but its strength is heightened with Spoils gainers.

Loot
Treasure

Worth 2$
At the end of your Buy Phase, if you didn't play any Spoils, gain a Spoils.

A synonym of Spoils. I debated having a Treasure card in the set, since there was Spoils. But I decided "why not?" Treasure cards are fun.

Loot seemed like an interesting name for a card (Dsell proved that), so what about a place where you can get more Spoils when you ran out?

And so, an occasional Spoils gainer was made. Also makes you think like Hoard does. But instead of, "Do I buy this Victory?" it becomes "Do I play this Spoils?"

Might be too strong, but I don't want it to cost 6, it'd be odd with both it and Hoard on the board.

Scapegoater
Action-Attack

+3$
Each other player gains a Spoils and a Curse. They put one into their hand, and gain a copy of the other card.

The idea came before the name. I wanted a card that gave someone a great/bad benefit now, and a bad/great benefit later.

The opponent can either have +3$ on their turn, but have to take 2 Curses, or they can have no benefit now, and have 2 Spoils later. Can cause some frustration

I'm also fairly sure 'scapegoater' isn't a word. I wanted to name the card to this description: "someone who is set up and blamed for something they did not do" A scapegoat is someone who does get blamed, so I scapegoater should do the blaming.

The crime for people is stealing the Spoils. They can either take the goods and run, but be in trouble later, or get in trouble now, and have some money stashed away later.

Might change to top-deck instead of in-hand.

Tavern
Action
Cost: 6

+2 Cards
Discard a card from your hand. If it is a...
Treasure: Gain a Spoils, putting it on top of your deck, and +2$
Action: Gain a Spoils, putting it into your hand, and +2 Actions
Victory: Gain a Spoils, and +2 Cards

You cannot buy this if you have any Spoils in play.

I really want a card called Tavern. It seems like a name that would be released in Guilds, but if it isn't I am keeping the name.

I also wanted a card with a buy restriction, but for Spoils. It would have to be expensive, because that is what people use Spoils for. I decided I would use it on my 6 cost card, but then my 6 cost card would need to be pretty strong. I also knew I wanted it to be called Tavern.

What do you do in a Tavern? Drink and gamble. I can't really show drinking on a card, so I went with the gambling. Which made sense, when you gamble you get your "Spoils"

A Tavern is also a good place to boast your adventures.

"Yeah, I traveled to some Rubble today. Pretty sweet."
"Whoa man, that's awesome! Here, have +2 Cards and +2 Actions, and why don't you take your winnings now!"

Probably not exactly like that. But you get my point.

That's all 12 of them! It was fairly difficult making each of these cards because if they interacted with Spoils, they had to give you Spoils. Some simply (see Rubble), some more complex (see Loot). Games with these cards should be fairly fast with all that money flying around, as well as lots of extra cash. I hope the inclusion of two +Buy cards helped with that.

Please remember that this set is just for fun. It would be incredibly illogical to create a set based on 1 card.

Feel free to comment or try these out if you have DA and some blanks you can use for the extra Spoils.

Thanks for reading!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
Re: 'Spoils' based fan set; Dominion: Ransacked
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 03:49:55 pm »
+2

I don't think this works the way you want it to.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:10:14 pm »

I don't think this works the way you want it to.

I know what you're getting at, with the Spoils being returned, but I just dont know how to word it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:26:56 pm »

"If you have played any Spoils this turn..."

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 06:26:00 pm »

Arsonist
Action
+2$
Trash 2 Spoils cards from its supply pile. Return 1 card from the trash to its supply pile.

I wanted a card to counter all these Spoils gainers, hence the first part. I added the second part to make the card more interesting and can make for some intriguing games.
It seems like Spoils shouldn't be included in a game just because this is. I don't think Spoils has a supply pile. What about if having this card in play let you "buy" Spoils for $4.
Raid
Action-Attack

+1 Action
Each other player may discard a card. If at least one player didn't, gain a Spoils.

The first Attack card of the set! There are 3 of them and are each equally aggravating. The lack of hand limit is intentional as well as the cost and +1 Action. This is a card you want to play a bunch of.

It's sort of an optional attack. You don't have to discard, but if you don't, they raid your kingdom and take your Spoils.
It seems like an easy decision that doesn't hurt anyone. This also doesn't scale well in Multiplayer. I don't like this one.
Savage
Action

Gain 2 Spoils.

I really wanted a card called Savage. Someone who just rushes in and takes a bunch of Spoils. So this card was made. No idea if it's too strong, but it looks OK.
Seems fine. You are losing money this turn to gain later. This is most comparable to Marauder, where giving an opponent a ruins is about the same strength as gaining a Spoils.
Ambush
Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash this. The player to your left chooses 1: You gain a Spoils, putting it into your hand, or you gain an Ambush.

Ambushes can come out of no where! And you have to react fast. Do you give them what they want? Or do you prolong their attack again? It's up to you to decide...
My favorite card of the set. I wanted the Spoils to go in hand so that everything is one shot, but it might make it too strong.
Look at it this way: +2 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy. The player to your left may have you gain +$3 to trash this. It seems too strong and too obvious. I would buy it all the time, and the pile would run out (it runs out quicker in the posted version).
Profiteer
Action-Reaction
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Spoils. Put it into your hand, discard the other revealed cards.

Whenever you gain a Silver, you may reveal this card from your hand. Gain a Spoils instead.

Donald said in the secret histories that in Dark Ages, Silver gaining became Spoils gaining. The bottom card was on a different card in this set, but the top part had to have a way to get Spoils, so I added on the bottom part.
It is weird that you have to keep this in your hand at first and it controls what you can buy. Lets say you draw this and $2, or this and $5 or more. It becomes a little more awkward than potion.
Smelter
Action

Trash a Spoils from your hand. If you do, gain a Gold, putting it into your hand.

The first card I made for the set. I wanted a way to turn those 1-shot Golds into permanent Golds. Smelting them seemed like the best way to do it. This card also gives you a way to "buy" Spoils. Probably the most balanced card of the set.
It is very rough when the cards don't line up. If they do, you now have a gold and a pointless action in your deck. I don't like this one.
Desolate Village
Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a 0 cost card, you may either trash it or put it into your hand. If it isn't, put it back on top of your deck.

The first card in the set that interacts with Spoils, but doesn't explicitly mention Spoils. This card can be played without any of the other Spoils gainers, but it's stronger with them.
This seems stronger than a 4 cost to me. Maybe it would be a 4 cost if it gave a +$1 instead of +1 card.
Rubble
Action-Victory

Gain a Spoils

Every set needs a Victory card! And this one is an interesting set to make one for. It makes you want to gain Spoils, but if you use them, it's worth a lot less at the end of the game.
Might change to every 2 Spoils in your deck, but I don't think the card is too strong. I really need a good name for this one. "Rubble" isn't that thematic.
For a name, how about "Conquered Lands"? If this card is only a little too strong, consider raising the cost to $5.

Barbarian
Action-Attack
+2 Cards
Each other player discards a card with a cost of 0 from their hand, or reveals a hand with no such card. For each discarded card, choose 1: You gain a copy of it, or they do.

In the interlude to Dark Ages, Donald mentioned "Barbarians" and everyone tried to think what card it could be.
Turns out, there was no such card. So I thought, it would be an interesting idea to try out in this fan set.
But what would a Barbarian do? Attack helpless people and worthless things and either take it for themselves, or throw it back.
Seems fine. I would like to see a wording change to allow it to multiply Ruins of different names if the situation occurs.

Loot
Treasure
Worth 2$

A synonym of Spoils. I debated having a Treasure card in the set, since there was Spoils. But I decided "why not?" Treasure cards are fun.
Loot seemed like an interesting name for a card (Dsell proved that), so what about a place where you can get more Spoils when you ran out?
And so, an occasional Spoils gainer was made. Also makes you think like Hoard does. But instead of, "Do I buy this Victory?" it becomes "Do I play this Spoils?"
Might be too strong, but I don't want it to cost 6, it'd be odd with both it and Hoard on the board.
I don't like this because of its encouragement of Big Money. I would have the same problem with a 5 cost treasure that just gained a Silver to your hand. Strong compared to Explorer.
Scapegoater
Action-Attack
+3$
Each other player gains a Spoils and a Curse. They put one into their hand, and gain a copy of the other card.

The idea came before the name. I wanted a card that gave someone a great/bad benefit now, and a bad/great benefit later.
The opponent can either have +3$ on their turn, but have to take 2 Curses, or they can have no benefit now, and have 2 Spoils later. Can cause some frustration
I'm also fairly sure 'scapegoater' isn't a word. I wanted to name the card to this description: "someone who is set up and blamed for something they did not do" A scapegoat is someone who does get blamed, so I scapegoater should do the blaming.
The crime for people is stealing the Spoils. They can either take the goods and run, but be in trouble later, or get in trouble now, and have some money stashed away later.
Interesting. There hasn't been a flat terminal gold for $5. Gaining a Spoils and a Curse is bad. Gaining 2 curses and getting a Spoils in hand is comparably bad. When curses are running out, this becomes a great benefit to the opponent, but until then, it is very strong. I can't think of a great way to balance this one, so it might be best as-is.
Tavern
Action

+2 Cards

I really want a card called Tavern. It seems like a name that would be released in Guilds, but if it isn't I am keeping the name.
I also wanted a card with a buy restriction, but for Spoils. It would have to be expensive, because that is what people use Spoils for. I decided I would use it on my 6 cost card, but then my 6 cost card would need to be pretty strong. I also knew I wanted it to be called Tavern.
Anti-spoils clause isn't a good buy restriction. I don't think this card needs a buy restriction. It would be too wordy with one anyway. The card seems interesting. I like it.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 07:14:38 pm »

Thanks for the critiques!

Arsonist
Action
+2$

It seems like Spoils shouldn't be included in a game just because this is. I don't think Spoils has a supply pile. What about if having this card in play let you "buy" Spoils for $4.
I like your suggestion, but I think it's fine if you include Spoils just for this card. If you really didn't want to just include Spoils just for this card, you could ad
d another card that deals with Spoils. I think this card is fine as-is, compared to the others.

Raid
Action-Attack

+1 Action

It seems like an easy decision that doesn't hurt anyone. This also doesn't scale well in Multiplayer. I don't like this one.
This card actually doesn't scale too badly in multiplayer. It doesn't matter if one person doesn't discard or 10, you still only get 1 Spoils. I had it at "one Spoils per player that didn't discard" but that was too good.

Savage
Action

Gain 2 Spoils.

Seems fine. You are losing money this turn to gain later. This is most comparable to Marauder, where giving an opponent a ruins is about the same strength as gaining a Spoils.
Glad this one is balanced.

Ambush
Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Look at it this way: +2 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy. The player to your left may have you gain +$3 to trash this. It seems too strong and too obvious. I would buy it all the time, and the pile would run out (it runs out quicker in the posted version).
Hmm, yeah. I see what you mean. What if the gained Spoils doesn't go in-hand?

Profiteer
Action-Reaction
+1 Action
+1 Buy

It is weird that you have to keep this in your hand at first and it controls what you can buy. Lets say you draw this and $2, or this and $5 or more. It becomes a little more awkward than potion.
I don't understand what you mean. It just gains a Spoils instead of a Silver when you gain a Silver.

Smelter
Action

It is very rough when the cards don't line up. If they do, you now have a gold and a pointless action in your deck. I don't like this one.
Hmm I figured that would be a problem. What if I added a second text to the card:
"You may trash this. If you do, gain a Spoils."

Desolate Village
Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions

This seems stronger than a 4 cost to me. Maybe it would be a 4 cost if it gave a +$1 instead of +1 card.
Yeah, I can change it. You're probably right.

Rubble
Action-Victory

Gain a Spoils

For a name, how about "Conquered Lands"? If this card is only a little too strong, consider raising the cost to $5.
What about "Ravaged Lands"?

Barbarian
Action-Attack
+2 Cards

Seems fine. I would like to see a wording change to allow it to multiply Ruins of different names if the situation occurs.
I think, with the current wording, it can. I could be mistaken.

Loot
Treasure
Worth 2$

I don't like this because of its encouragement of Big Money. I would have the same problem with a 5 cost treasure that just gained a Silver to your hand. Strong compared to Explorer.
What if I lowered the cash output to 1$?

Scapegoater
Action-Attack
+3$

Interesting. There hasn't been a flat terminal gold for $5. Gaining a Spoils and a Curse is bad. Gaining 2 curses and getting a Spoils in hand is comparably bad. When curses are running out, this becomes a great benefit to the opponent, but until then, it is very strong. I can't think of a great way to balance this one, so it might be best as-is.
Glad you think it's fine. I really want to test this one out.

Tavern
Action

+2 Cards

Anti-spoils clause isn't a good buy restriction. I don't think this card needs a buy restriction. It would be too wordy with one anyway. The card seems interesting. I like it.
Yeah ok. I can remove it. I just wanted it there because I wanted a card with that restriction.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 07:15:31 pm »

Wow. My quoting is messed up. :P

The bold part is my answer to your critiques and it references the card above it.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 08:15:36 pm »

[Ambush]
Hmm, yeah. I see what you mean. What if the gained Spoils doesn't go in-hand?
That is a start. The opponent has the choice between a 4 cost card and a ~3 value card. Why is there trashing? If there is a race to get these, eventually they become duds because the opponent can just pick the empty Ambush pile.

[Raid]
This card actually doesn't scale too badly in multiplayer. It doesn't matter if one person doesn't discard or 10, you still only get 1 Spoils. I had it at "one Spoils per player that didn't discard" but that was too good.
I meant that it is inherently political and at least one player is more likely to let you gain the Spoils.

[Profiteer]
I don't understand what you mean. It just gains a Spoils instead of a Silver when you gain a Silver.
I mean that you have to get the first Spoils from somewhere, otherwise the card is not worth playing. The card lets you get Spoils, but only is a certain 4 cost card is in your hand, not played, and you have $3 in the rest of your hand. If that card was a Silver or something, you are likely to be able to afford Gold.

Loot
What if I lowered the cash output to 1$?
That would help. The card wouldn't need the "if you didn't play any Spoils" line because the card is quite weak at that point. I didn't like the line anyway, considering that you can get unlucky and have them line up with only one Loot in your deck. At +$1, it is like an even more delayed non-terminal Merchant ship that gives you -1 card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 20 queries.