Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Urchin/Mercenary Strategy  (Read 3754 times)

BubbleBoy

• Navigator
  • Did you say Black Market?!
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Urchin/Mercenary Strategy
« on: September 23, 2012, 01:48:21 pm »

I've looked at these cards time and again, and I still have trouble grasping the concept. How should this card pair be played? It seems to me like in many cases, Urchin is actually better than Mercenary. It also seems to me like these cards work terribly when others are also getting them. Can Urchin still be worth buying even if Mercenary is not worth gaining? If Mercenary is the only trashing card in a set, is it worth getting a couple of Urchins? At some point I would really love to read an article on this.
...Or, I guess you could just buy a Province.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Urchin/Mercenary Strategy
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:35:21 pm »
+1

I share your interest in exploring this some more.  On the surface, Mercenary is a fantastic card.  The catch is that if you get hit by Urchin or Mercenary, then you often have to choose between using the Mercenary you've got in your own hand or preserving your next buy phase.  Mercenary is strong enough that you might be able to preserve your own buy phase after playing it -- because +2 Cards and +$2 might be strong enough on its own for a ~$5 buy phase -- but it's no sure thing.

For my own part, I'm doubtful about how good a strategy it is to buy multiple Urchins, in the hopes that they trigger each other.  Unless you can reliably connect them (Warehouse?  Tactician?), seems like Silvers would be better, and for that matter having a bunch of Silvers seems like it would put you in a better defensive position against your opponents' Urchins and Mercenaries than having a bunch of Urchins and Mercenaries would.

On the other hand, Mercenary seems like a good step towards getting an engine that can fire even when you're hit by discard attacks, and if you've got that, you can draw into both a Mercenary and cards to feed it, which would be amazingly powerful.

It's a complicated pair of cards to use correctly, I think.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 02:58:48 pm »

I think the key is that you have to throw it into an engine built on other stuff. If you don't have a way to draw lots of cards, you're not only going to be slow at getting the Mercenary, but you're also probably not going to have good hands to trash with it.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:00:27 pm »

It'd also be very difficult to get a Mercenary if the only Attack card is Urchin.

Cultist is great with Urchin/Mercenary.

1. Play an Urchin and chain Cultists
2. Trash Urchin for Mercenary and proceed to trash Cultists
3. ???
4. Profit!

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:44:56 pm »
+1

It looks like nobody has a really strong idea, which makes me feel a lot better about posting mine.

The first thing I notice is it surprisingly doesn't seem to play nicely with most other attack abilities in and of themselves. It doesn't stack with most discard attacks, while Cursers and deck inspectors just give them garbage that they're happy to discard, nullifying Urchin almost entirely and Mercenary to some extent. Knights/Swindler/Saboteur likewise raise the proportional number of junk cards, I suppose. Torturer and Mountebank might be interesting exceptions because of the mindgames over whether or not to discard a Curse.

But what the attacks might do is slow the game down enough that you can get Mercenaries and use their trashing effectively. Mercenary trashing has the potential to be blazing fast, combining the raw thinning power of Remake with the deceptively valuable cycling of Masquerade. And although it doesn't toss you Silver or other assorted valuables like Remake, it DOES grant buying power that few other trashers can match. It's very luck-dependent, and maybe it craps out eventually*, but in the beginning I think it ought to be worth something like 3 coins in a deck with heavy Treasure (or with enough +Actions not to draw your Actions dead). I mean we're talking 2 coins plus Cellaring 2 cards, which ought to be worth at least one more coin on average. (Imagine that you're getting +$1 for each of the cards you trashed and it's almost comparable to Vault, if you like.) All that AND trashing AND an attack! The catch is perhaps that you should be ready to trash the occasional mid-value card, especially if you don't have any good way to increase your hand size and find the real garbage. But hey, you wouldn't mind Expanding a Silver to a Gold if it came down to it, would you? So maybe you just chuck that Silver to keep the Mercenaries chugging as long as possible!

So that's my thinking. I almost feel like, why even bother building an early economy, if this is worth so much money? I'd be interested to try wild stuff like going straight for 2 Sea Hags and a pile of Urchins (buying Urchin over Silver), just enough to make my opponent miserable before rapidly grinding down to a thin deck of expensive power cards. (Of course, it depends whether or not an engine of that description is available! Or maybe you can actually load up on Gold this way but I'm not quite THAT optimistic about Mercenary just yet.)

*Does anyone else feel that Dark Ages is really slanted toward decks that wreck themselves at the end? Save up a bunch of Spoils for one big Province rush. Trash all your good cards for their on-trash benefits. Death Cart, Procession, Counterfeit, Beggar. I guess it's the flip side of the "upgrading" theme: this set favors rapid changes in deck composition and the greening phase is certainly an example, but not one that I've seen many people discussing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:54:31 pm by RD »

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 07:56:58 pm »

I've played a few games with Mercenary and found that:

- The Urchin attack is incredibly weak (but duh, you already knew that).
 - It's not that hard to connect Urchins on their own, but it's a lot better if there's some other non-sucky attack on the table.
 - If there are not other attacks on the table, you'll likely need 3 Urchins or a filtering enabler.

The biggest thing, though, is that having to trash two cards is quite a lot. In most of the games I played with it, it was used 2-3 times and then had trouble finding hands with two things to trash. I had mild success playing Mercenary with Market Square (took me 3 Urchins to get the Merc, and then only collided it w/MS twice). You can also use Mercenary to trash down to almost nothing and then build your engine, the way you might in a double-ambassador game, but you need a pretty strong engine since you'll be way behind and Mercenary's attack isn't nearly as strong as Ambassador's. This worked reasonably well for an opponent who opened Urchin/Sir Martin and proceeded to pick up some Bandit Camps.

My guess is that Mercenary is likely to be better in games with junk-giving attacks, although of course junk-giving attacks make it harder to line up Urchin and the other attacks.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 11:48:19 pm »
+1

Mercenary and Fortress is a nice combo to get around having to trash stuff - and once you've trashed all the junk you can mass-buy untrashable Fortresses for your Mercenaries to feed on.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.