Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12  All

Author Topic: So. Guilds.  (Read 80171 times)

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
Re: So. Guilds.
« Reply #250 on: April 15, 2013, 08:20:41 pm »

Given the last couple expansions, I don't think we should expect previews until at least late May...
I am just hoping to get them at all! May is fine. The way I had read DXV's previous comments, it sounded pretty pessimistic about seeing any previews.

Yeah, considering he hasn't even logged on here to the forums in over a month, I wonder if we've lost his favor.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 15, 2013, 08:48:19 pm »

Given the last couple expansions, I don't think we should expect previews until at least late May...
I am just hoping to get them at all! May is fine. The way I had read DXV's previous comments, it sounded pretty pessimistic about seeing any previews.

Yeah, considering he hasn't even logged on here to the forums in over a month, I wonder if we've lost his favor.

He was just tired of the isotropic vs. Goko arguments I think.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2013, 08:51:21 pm »

Turns out Yahoo! Answers has the best answer!

Astronomically speaking you would be justified in calling the summer solstice the middle of summer. In fact, the Celtics have a festival held near the summer solstice called the Midsummer's Day festival, so they know that astronomically it is the middle of summer. But meteorological summer is based on average temperature and not the position of the sun. The Earth has a large heat capacity, which means it takes a long time to warm up and a long time to cool off. The result is the the weather doesn't get really hot until well after the peak solar heating has already come and gone. And the same for winter. The coldest weather doesn't come until quite some time after the date of minimum heating has been passed.
"Long time to cool off and a long time to warm up" yeah right. Tell that to April in Utah.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:38 am »

He just posted a jokey post in the Dominion: Guilds forum of BoardGameGeek... I'd hate to think he prefers them over us now.  Eurgh.  BGG.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #254 on: April 16, 2013, 01:23:28 am »

Nice, he quoted me in his last post.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

And for the record, I like leftovers.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 16, 2013, 03:15:38 am »

Nice, he quoted me in his last post.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

And for the record, I like leftovers.

Wait, are we f.dsers leftovers to DXV now?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #256 on: April 16, 2013, 08:09:16 am »

Wasn't he always more active there, in a sense? There are lots more people there than here, it only makes sense.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 16, 2013, 08:52:48 am »
+1

Wasn't he always more active there, in a sense? There are lots more people there than here, it only makes sense.

Indeed.  He also, notably, has other published games he might feel the need to talk about.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

spiritbears

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #258 on: April 16, 2013, 10:54:58 pm »

I'm sure it gets under his skin that a large part of the games' fan base will never be happy with the goko decision.  I'm not sure how he could have expected otherwise.  However, he could just ignore the iso threads... Pretty easy to do.  And with a new Dom game coming out within 2-3 months, his absence is fairly notable and noticeable.
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 16, 2013, 11:27:31 pm »
+2

I'm sure it gets under his skin that a large part of the games' fan base will never be happy with the goko decision.  I'm not sure how he could have expected otherwise.  However, he could just ignore the iso threads... Pretty easy to do.  And with a new Dom game coming out within 2-3 months, his absence is fairly notable and noticeable.

I would guess that it doesn't bother him, especially because it wasn't his decision anyway.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2013, 12:21:49 am »

He only really popped in and out infrequently anyway - I guess we all just got used to the "ask donald x questions" thread.  Oh, and him yelling at people.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2013, 02:05:05 am »

He only really popped in and out infrequently anyway - I guess we all just got used to the "ask donald x questions" thread.  Oh, and him yelling at people.

Yelling, dude? Really? I guess I just read his tone differently than you. He always seemed calm to me.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2013, 02:28:23 am »
+1

Yelling, dude? Really? I guess I just read his tone differently than you. He always seemed calm to me.
Yes, being calm is the best way to shout sometimes.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2013, 04:03:07 am »
+1

Yelling, dude? Really?

More doing that "dude" thing.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 17, 2013, 07:58:51 am »

Man, (heh, see what I did), he did not 'yell' that much. And I don't think he complained any more than you did. Though people complained at him a lot more. Also, he did a heckuvalot more than just the interview with Donald X threads - maybe you just weren't around or don't remember.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 17, 2013, 08:00:56 am »
+6

He certainly did a lot more than other game designers usually do after their games are published.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2013, 10:28:58 am »
+3

I assume he was hopeful we wouldn't act like entitled assholes about the free game he gave us to play online for years after it was taken down. And regardless of where you stand on the current quality of Goko, the community discourse has largely been dominated by people acting like entitled assholes.

spiritbears

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:31 am »

I assume he was hopeful we wouldn't act like entitled assholes about the free game he gave us to play online for years after it was taken down. And regardless of where you stand on the current quality of Goko, the community discourse has largely been dominated by people acting like entitled assholes.
I'm not sure that's a fair or accurate.  Certainly there were a few entitled assholes.  But the vast majority of the iso community was willing to pay, etc to keep it online.  I know some even sent money to Dougz. 
EHal-  true it may be that it wasn't his choice.  But he didn't disagree with it, fight it, object, etc.  He vocally defended the move at almost every opportunity. And yes,   I'm sure all the griping and complaining has probably driven him away....but what did they expect would happen?  Iso really was a community...that community was destroyed by goko/RGG. It remains to be seen whether goko will develop into a real community beyond its interface.
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2013, 11:01:11 am »
+5

Good lord. The "seasons" derailment was bad enough, but now this thread is becoming another iso vs. Goko debate? Knock it off.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 17, 2013, 11:09:16 am »

Well, "yelling" is perhaps too harsh of a word.  And, yes, he was around moderately frequently, but he was there a lot more with the asking questions thread.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 17, 2013, 01:26:39 pm »

Bolding mine.
Good lord. The "seasons" derailment was bad enough, but now this thread is becoming another iso vs. Goko debate? Knock it off.

Yeah...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 17, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »

He only really popped in and out infrequently anyway
he was around moderately frequently
???

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 17, 2013, 05:47:41 pm »
+2

However, he could just ignore the iso threads... Pretty easy to do. 

That would probably just leave him reading the Forum Members Map thread!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2013, 06:44:03 am »
+2

Back to Guilds, I noticed this text in the Dark Ages rules:
If you use Band of Misfits as a
Throne Room (from Dominion), King's Court (from Prosperity),
or Procession

To my knowledge there is currently no way to ever have KC cost less than BoM - the best you can do is make them both $0 - but this may be a small Guilds spoiler. It's not uncommon for rules to incorporate some info about future expansions. When you read the rules for the first time things sometimes don't seem to make sense. Rules may seem more complicated or confusing than need be, but as new expansions come out you can see why the original rules had to be formulated that way.

In this case we can imagine there might be a card in Guilds that looks like the following:
Discounter - Action - $4
+1 Buy
Name a card. While this is in play that card costs $3 less.

As Guilds deals with paying more for cards and might otherwise modify costs, I think this might be a good fit.

Obligatory convoluted example:
- Play Spy, opponent reveals Silver, let him keep it
- Play Village
- Play Discounter, name Silver
- Play Swindler
- Give Curse
- Profit $$$$ (barring obligatory edge cases)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 19, 2013, 08:35:35 am »
+1

I think Donald said the card that reduced cost of a specific card was dropped from DA for being too complicated or something.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.