Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12  All

Author Topic: So. Guilds.  (Read 80136 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Re: So. Guilds.
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 02:37:44 pm »

I am not necessarily supporting the idea of having choose-a-target attacks with no game rule changes, as cards like that certainly can detract from the game. What I'm talking about is point-sharing. As in, teams are established before the game begins. In such games, a card that chooses a target can be used strategically rather than politically.

Even then, it couldn't work in 2P (for obvious reasons) or 3P (2 on 1 isn't fair) games. It would only work on 4P+ games.

And the majority of people that play Dominion don't play with that many people. And even if they did, there would have to be a pretty extensive FAQ explaining how all the interactive cards would work with team play.

I see this being more a variant than an expansion. It'd be hard to create 13 cards that deal specifically with Team play.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »

Also, this is the last expansion of Dominion.

I'd expect Donald to end it with a bang by giving us some really cool cards that wrap up the game as a whole and give the game the sense of an ending.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 03:56:41 pm »
+1

I'd expect Donald to end it with a bang by giving us some really cool cards that wrap up the game as a whole and give the game the sense of an ending.

Or he's just stringing us along, and his Dominion-addled brain has closets full of more expansions that he's just hiding from us.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 03:56:56 pm »
+3

Also, Dark Ages was supposed to be the ending.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 03:58:33 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, Guilds was originally designed to be second-last (with Dark Ages last), so I wouldn't expected anything too crazy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2012, 06:33:24 pm »
+1

If I'm not mistaken, Guilds was originally designed to be second-last (with Dark Ages last), so I wouldn't expected anything too crazy.
I don't know, I won't put anything past DX. Even so, it could be a single new mechanic sprinkled out over all the cards, that wouldn't be more complex than DA.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 09:19:55 pm »
+1

So.  Intrigue came out in July, Alchemy in May, Cornucopia in June, and Dark Ages in August.  Given that it's a small expansion, and there's nothing else Dominion-related coming out next year to bump it forward like the Base Cards did with Dark Ages, I'm going to wager on a May release, if not earlier, given that nothing came out this fall.  If that's the case, we're about six months out now for Guilds.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 01:34:06 am »
+3

So.  Intrigue came out in July, Alchemy in May, Cornucopia in June, and Dark Ages in August.  Given that it's a small expansion, and there's nothing else Dominion-related coming out next year to bump it forward like the Base Cards did with Dark Ages, I'm going to wager on a May release, if not earlier, given that nothing came out this fall.  If that's the case, we're about six months out now for Guilds.
I won't know the actual date until stores are listing it, but it's on track for spring, although for Cornucopia that meant June. May is a good guess.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 06:15:37 pm »

I'm going to make a wild guess that Guilds will have a "cards that care about card types" theme.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 09:51:37 pm »

I remember DXV said once that Guilds "had its own thing going on." So probably something kinda crazy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:49 am »
+5

I remember DXV said once that Guilds "had its own thing going on." So probably something kinda crazy.

Detective's Guild
Action - $4

The Colonel in the Bathroom with the Lead Pipe.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 09:38:46 am »
+1

Guys, it's obvious. It's right there in the name of the expansion.

This expansion cares about how pretty your cards are. Unsurprisingly, Gold is the most important card.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:26 pm »
+2

This expansion cares about how pretty your cards are. Unsurprisingly, Gold is the most important card.

Guild is not an alternative spelling for gild. ;) 

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 01:00:31 pm »
+2

So it'll just be rare shiny holographic versions of the other cards?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 01:44:27 pm »
+2

Guild is not an alternative spelling for gild. ;) 

Says ewe!
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 07:07:51 pm »
+6

I'll trade you my shiny Mountebank for your shiny Charizard.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, 11:23:43 pm »

Haven't got a Charizard, but I do have a foil Mara Jade I'll trade you for a shiny Counting House.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 06:36:04 am »
+1

Back to the topic at hand.

I wonder if Guilds has a retroactive thing going on or whether it's only going to be concerned with itself.
I mean: it would be cool to have a card that cares about Smithy and Woodcutter, but how can this be achieved without awkward wording? And no card currently references cards from other expansions/standalones, just the basics like Golds and Duchies etc.

So Guild MUST have its own thing going on.

If it's going to be Cornucopia-sized, it will have ~15 cards.
5 Guilds with 3 cards each in a "include the entire Guild of 3 cards or not" kind of way?

It's going to be pretty hard to make cards that give a bonus to other cards when used together useful when they're alone.

Then again, they can be self-synergizing, like some sort of Merchants Guild card:

Merchants Quarter
Action - Merchants Guild - $3

+2 Actions
+$1 for every Merchants Guild card you have in play, counting this.

Or a Workers Guild card:

Labor Union
Action - Workers Guild - $3

+1 Card
+1 Action for every Workers Guild card you have in play, counting this.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 12:22:52 am »
+1

Merchant's Guild seems too much like Bank.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 02:17:04 am »

Merchant's Guild seems too much like Bank.
Wekll, I don't mean for them to actually be printed and played like that, I just wanted to illustrate connections between cards.

Coone

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 08:24:39 pm »

Perhaps along the vein of a permanently played card, there could be "field cards," that is a card that when played had the same effect for both players.  For example, I think it would be interesting to have cards like "conquerors guild: while this card is in play, whenever a player receives a curse or a ruin they receive one more."

That would absolutely suck to have it.  Are you suggesting some sort of randomized deck that changes what Guild is in force?  And you'd have to play a Guild type card to reveal the next one?

I like the field card aspect idea, or at least cards that has the same positive/negative effect for both players.  I don't necessarily think that it would have to operate in the way where one guild outranks or replaces another.  They could operate on one to two turn rounds.  I imagine that one round cards with very powerful effects, but you would have to try and be sure you would get more out of it then your opponent.

For example: 4$ Banker's Guild: This stays in play until the start of your next turn.  When someone gains a treasure, they gain one more copy of the treasure card they originally gained. 

This would be a heavy price for you as a terminal action, but if you know you'll be at a point to buy golds before your opponent, it would be very powerful.  You gain an extra-gold and make them think twice about buying a silver, potion, or any other card because they would have to get one more.  Consider if you were able to stack these!  An action-based deck would be deterred from getting a gold because 1 gold plus 2 or 3 more might clog the engine.

Or if you have an action based deck and another player is going big money:
$5 Thief's Guild: This card stays in play until the start of the turn after your next turn.  Each player only redraws three cards after their clean-up phase.

Other than awkward wording it might be interesting to see.

JanN

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2012, 07:04:48 pm »
+1

So, Iīve been looking for spoilers in rules currently published. As in the way Alchemy spoiled that cards would care about cost ranges (for knights, grave robbers and such). And I always wondered why this was so carefully written out:

"When a card is gained to a location other than a discard pile, it does not "visit" the discard pile - it
goes directly to where it was gained. For example Armory gains cards directly to the top of a deck." From the Dark Ages rulebook.

I canīt think of a situation where this is important to specify with the cards currently published. Is it for just for dummies, or is there some way new cards can play with the top of the discard pile? There are several cards that interact with the discard pile: Inn, Sage, Counting House, but not the top card specifically.

What about a card that is sort of a self-Tribute? (Kind of like Irongmonger, I know.)

Look at the top card of your discard pile. If it is an
-Action Card: +2 Actions
-Treasure Card: +2 Coins
- Victory Card: +2 Cards

Or how about a card where the reaction part is for when it is on top of the discard pile? As in:

+2 Coins (or whatever)
------------
When this is the top card of the discard pile and is covered by another card,
either trash that card, or move it on top of your deck.

Which would make it sort of similar to Watchtower, but after itīs been discarded from your hand.

Iīm sure you guys can think of a lot of better implementations, but the question is: Is the top card of a discard pile an interesting piece of data for new cards? Thinking of how Dark Ages implemented the Trash Pile, how many other pieces of data are there to work with?

And also, merry Christmas everyone!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2012, 07:58:26 pm »

So, Iīve been looking for spoilers in rules currently published. As in the way Alchemy spoiled that cards would care about cost ranges (for knights, grave robbers and such). And I always wondered why this was so carefully written out:

"When a card is gained to a location other than a discard pile, it does not "visit" the discard pile - it
goes directly to where it was gained. For example Armory gains cards directly to the top of a deck." From the Dark Ages rulebook.

I canīt think of a situation where this is important to specify with the cards currently published. Is it for just for dummies, or is there some way new cards can play with the top of the discard pile? There are several cards that interact with the discard pile: Inn, Sage, Counting House, but not the top card specifically.

What about a card that is sort of a self-Tribute? (Kind of like Irongmonger, I know.)

Look at the top card of your discard pile. If it is an
-Action Card: +2 Actions
-Treasure Card: +2 Coins
- Victory Card: +2 Cards

Or how about a card where the reaction part is for when it is on top of the discard pile? As in:

+2 Coins (or whatever)
------------
When this is the top card of the discard pile and is covered by another card,
either trash that card, or move it on top of your deck.

Which would make it sort of similar to Watchtower, but after itīs been discarded from your hand.

Iīm sure you guys can think of a lot of better implementations, but the question is: Is the top card of a discard pile an interesting piece of data for new cards? Thinking of how Dark Ages implemented the Trash Pile, how many other pieces of data are there to work with?

And also, merry Christmas everyone!

I think it's unlikely that there will be anything to do with the top of the discard, or anything about order of cards in the discard in general.  Not impossible, but unlikely.  Doing that sort of thing requires players to explicitly think about ordering their cards when discarding at the end of their turn, and that just seems like a bothersome mechanic.

But the approach is good.  I can't think of an existing reason for why it should be noted that a card gained to a different place doesn't first visit the discard.  Perhaps there will be a reaction that cares when a card enters the discard.  Can't think of another reason why a card would care about something temporarily being in the discard.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2012, 08:08:33 pm »
+3

Oh man. If there's something that cares about cards "visiting" the discard pile, Goko is going to have such a hard time with that.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2012, 08:20:04 pm »
+1

The biggest issue I see with caring about the order of your discard pile is that it will encourage players to spend time making uninteresting decisions every time they discard more than one card.  However, there may be rather straightforward effects. For instance, if there is a kingdom card with a "while this card is on the top of your discard pile..." effects, then you would pretty much just always want to choose to put this card on top while discarding when you have the option, so it wouldn't really take much additional time.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.