Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]  All

Author Topic: So. Guilds.  (Read 81119 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: So. Guilds.
« Reply #275 on: April 19, 2013, 08:40:14 am »

I think Donald said the card that reduced cost of a specific card was dropped from DA for being too complicated or something.
And then they didn't remember to drop it from the rules.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 19, 2013, 08:52:23 am »

I think Donald said the card that reduced cost of a specific card was dropped from DA for being too complicated or something.
Oh, okay, so the rules have some leftover information.

But what would be the problem with a card like that other than that it might be hard to remember which cards have been named? You could temporarily put a token on card piles that have lowered costs...

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #277 on: April 19, 2013, 03:19:52 pm »

It also wouldn't need to be by $3 - just one is enough, because you can play such a card multiple times - such as by KCing it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 19, 2013, 04:41:21 pm »

It also wouldn't need to be by $3 - just one is enough, because you can play such a card multiple times - such as by KCing it.

But it would have to be more than just $1 in order to make the card worth buying.  Or give it some other ability.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2013, 05:09:02 pm »
+1

Back to Guilds, I noticed this text in the Dark Ages rules:
If you use Band of Misfits as a
Throne Room (from Dominion), King's Court (from Prosperity),
or Procession

To my knowledge there is currently no way to ever have KC cost less than BoM - the best you can do is make them both $0 - but this may be a small Guilds spoiler. It's not uncommon for rules to incorporate some info about future expansions. When you read the rules for the first time things sometimes don't seem to make sense. Rules may seem more complicated or confusing than need be, but as new expansions come out you can see why the original rules had to be formulated that way.

In this case we can imagine there might be a card in Guilds that looks like the following:
Discounter - Action - $4
+1 Buy
Name a card. While this is in play that card costs $3 less.

As Guilds deals with paying more for cards and might otherwise modify costs, I think this might be a good fit.

That's incredibly strong. On its own, it very easily allows double-$5 buys very early, and double-$4 buys even earlier. Take off the +buy and maybe it's more balanced.

I'd think something more like this:
Discounter - Action - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Put a Discount token on top of a Supply pile other than Discounter. Cards cost $1 less per Discount token on top of their Supply pile.

It doesn't provide much on its own (really just the first opportunity to buy the card you've discounted) but causes some crazy shifts to the game and provides interesting opportunities to end the game (e.g. discount a card to 0, immediately kill the pile). The one problem I see are kiloturn endings where one player discounts the Provinces to 0 or 1 and immediately kills the pile. I tried to mitigate that by disallowing players from spamming Discounter by immediately discounting the Discounters, but it still seems like Province discounting would be rampant, and I don't want to disallow Victory cards because that makes the card less interesting.

The other option is to include a drawback for buying discounted cards, but it's difficult to come up with one that's not either pointless or overkill. You obviously can't have it throw junk per discount token, since that would be too much (and cause Discounter to function as a slightly modified Embargo). You can't have it throw one regardless of # of discount tokens, since that would be too little and cause it to still function as an Embargo for the first discount. -VP is out of the question for the obvious reasons. Limiting buys of a discounted card also makes it less interesting. Having buys take discount tokens off the pile makes it too strong and less interesting.

Overall, the more I think about it, the more I see it as a terrible idea: it's awesome for kiloturn strategies and really isn't that useful otherwise, and I see that as a mark of a badly designed card. Thoughts?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2013, 01:27:02 am »

That discount token plus the three generic + effects make it a $4 market.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2013, 12:55:16 pm »

Not really. Market gives you $1 once on anything. This gives up to $10 toward a specific thing split between all players. If you discount a card that your opponent wants without also emptying the pile you may end up doing more harm than good.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 22, 2013, 01:30:26 pm »

In this case we can imagine there might be a card in Guilds that looks like the following:
Discounter - Action - $4
+1 Buy

That's insanely overpowered... it's strictly better than a Terminal Gold, which most say would be balanced at $5.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2013, 01:46:50 pm »
+4

Discounter - Action - $4
+1 Buy

That's insanely overpowered... it's strictly better than a Terminal Gold, which most say would be balanced at $5.

It's not strictly better.  Suppose your hand is 6 Estates and X, and you have a +Buy (thanks to Wharf).  You are currently in the lead, one pile is out and Estates and Poor Houses are both low -- only one left of each!  With a terminal Gold, you could buy both the Estate and the PH to end the game with a win.  But with Discounter instead, you would not be able to buy both the Estate and the PH.

EDGE CASES.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2013, 02:09:04 pm »

Discounter - Action - $4
+1 Buy

It's not strictly better.  Suppose your hand is 6 Estates and X, and you have a +Buy (thanks to Wharf).  You are currently in the lead, one pile is out and Estates and Poor Houses are both low -- only one left of each!  With a terminal Gold, you could buy both the Estate and the PH to end the game with a win.  But with Discounter instead, you would not be able to buy both the Estate and the PH.

EDGE CASES.
Haha, well, I wasn't attempting to design a perfect card, rather provide an example. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 01, 2013, 02:36:28 pm »
+5

I really hope there's a Cheese-maker card because then I can play it with Procession and have Processed cheese-maker.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]  All

Page created in 1.375 seconds with 20 queries.