Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12  All

Author Topic: So. Guilds.  (Read 80175 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
So. Guilds.
« on: September 22, 2012, 01:50:00 pm »
+3

Let the speculation commence.  What do we think?

I'm thinking either

A) We will finally see a permanently played card

or

B) We will see players choosing different starting conditions (which could be in the form of a permanently played card)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Coone

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: So. Guilds.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:00:13 pm »

Perhaps along the vein of a permanently played card, there could be "field cards," that is a card that when played had the same effect for both players.  For example, I think it would be interesting to have cards like "conquerors guild: while this card is in play, whenever a player receives a curse or a ruin they receive one more." 

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:04:08 pm »
+1

Perhaps along the vein of a permanently played card, there could be "field cards," that is a card that when played had the same effect for both all players.  For example, I think it would be interesting to have cards like "conquerors guild: while this card is in play, whenever a player receives a curse or a ruin they receive one more." 

FTFY Did you know you can play Dominion with more than 2 people? :P
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:07:51 pm by Archetype »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 03:06:40 pm »
+2

We will finally see Davio buy a storage solution and all the expansions he's currently missing.

Concerning the cards: It wouldn't surprise me if some cards would belong to a certain guild and would give bonuses to other cards from that guild. This would require a rule obviously where you would pick a certain number of cards from a guild, not just one.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 03:28:12 pm »
+15

People will be able to form online "guilds" on Goko, and team of to defeat boss AIs against incredible odds, thus earning them valor points that can be used to buy better-looking avatars.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 05:51:16 pm »

I swear I've seen this thread before. :P

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 06:53:59 pm »
+1

Perhaps along the vein of a permanently played card, there could be "field cards," that is a card that when played had the same effect for both players.  For example, I think it would be interesting to have cards like "conquerors guild: while this card is in play, whenever a player receives a curse or a ruin they receive one more."

That would absolutely suck to have it.  Are you suggesting some sort of randomized deck that changes what Guild is in force?  And you'd have to play a Guild type card to reveal the next one?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 07:50:21 pm »

I swear I've seen this thread before. :P

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4165.0

Yeah, there were some interesting ideas in here, including a fun one from wero (and expanded upon by engineer).

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 08:44:05 pm »

-sigh-
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 11:01:27 pm »
+1

Eh, that thread was made a month and a half ago.  Didn't want to be accused of thread necromancy.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 11:06:47 pm »

Eh, that thread was made a month and a half ago.  Didn't want to be accused of thread necromancy.

Necro-ing isn't always bad!  Making duplicate threads is also a forum sin. ;)

I wouldn't mind more talk about that idea you had though.  It was a snazzy idea.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 04:24:35 am »
+7

So Graverobbering a thread is better than Jestering it?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 09:31:15 am »
+4

So Graverobbering a thread is better than Jestering it?

I was trying to Mint it, but I accidentally bought Mine, so the Coppers are still there.

BubbleBoy

• Navigator
  • Did you say Black Market?!
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 12:02:54 pm »

This could certainly be a good way for a small set to have a big impact on the game. It would be cool if there was a stack of 12 unique Guild cards which give different passive abilities to their members. At the beginning of the game, each player is dealt two at random, choosing one to keep. It would also be interesting if each guild had a certain Kingdom pile attached to it which was automatically in the game, and the guild member with whom it is associated got a discount on that card. This would be really difficult to balance, but it could really add some variance to the game, forcing people to try strategies that might otherwise be ignored.
...Or, I guess you could just buy a Province.

alex

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 10:32:12 am »

So I posted the following in the old thread (referenced above) yesterday, not realizing that there was a new place for it:

This is my idea for guilds type cards:

eg: silversmiths guild Action $4
+$2
Any other player may reveal and put into play a silversmiths guild, if they do they draw a card and you gain +1 buy
-----
If this card is in play at the start of your turn +$2, +1 buy

Note that the if this card starts in play clause does not require an action, just like duration cards.

I feel that this works thematically as guilds will succeed when they work together, or fail when they fall apart.
“Nothing is more important than that you see and love the beauty that is right in front of you, or else you will have no defense against the ugliness that will hem you in and come at you in so many ways.”
― Neal Stephenson, Anathem

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 10:44:31 am »

I'm going to guess that Guilds will have a subsystem where certain cards can interact with each other and make other related cards played stronger.

In the mini-set contest I designed a card that uses tokens. I think Guilds would probably have something like that and make it a communal token where certain cards can make use of the tokens to be a little better when it's played.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 10:52:35 am »
+1

I'm going to guess that Guilds will have a subsystem where certain cards can interact with each other and make other related cards played stronger.

In the mini-set contest I designed a card that uses tokens. I think Guilds would probably have something like that and make it a communal token where certain cards can make use of the tokens to be a little better when it's played.

That would be fun, but I doubt there will be tokens in a small expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 01:26:49 pm »

Communal like this, where multiple cards use the same tokens, or communal like all players use the same mat?

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 01:38:33 pm »

Communal like this, where multiple cards use the same tokens, or communal like all players use the same mat?

Yeah, like your idea! Different cards using the same tokens! I assume you mean personal tokens as well, because that's what I had in mind.

I think around 4-6 cards would be enough, but if you're doing a random draw of cards from this set plus other earlier ones, you'd get like 1 card that uses these tokens, and it won't be as fun playing that card, obviously (even though it has its uses).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 01:43:18 pm »

Yeah, like your idea! Different cards using the same tokens! I assume you mean personal tokens as well, because that's what I had in mind.

I think around 4-6 cards would be enough, but if you're doing a random draw of cards from this set plus other earlier ones, you'd get like 1 card that uses these tokens, and it won't be as fun playing that card, obviously (even though it has its uses).

Yeah, my idea was personal tokens, but shared between cards.

I really liked that idea, but I think the problem with it is that you have to design the cards such that they are usable on their own, but when they come up together then they're almost definitely going to be dominant.  The synergy would just be so strong.  But Potion cards are kind of like that too.

BubbleBoy

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 05:56:27 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if Guilds incorporated cooperative or team playing.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 06:49:21 pm »
+2

I would. It completely goes against the 'no politics' aspect of Dominion.

BubbleBoy

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 10:07:01 am »

I would. It completely goes against the 'no politics' aspect of Dominion.
Dark ages completely went against the 'trashing is permanent' aspect of Dominion. But expansions are all about new game mechanics.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 01:41:13 pm »

Yeah but the "no politics" thing is probably more ironclad just because DXV has said that he really dislikes politics in games in general and that Dominion "struggles to minimize it". Making an expansion that throws that out the window just seems unlikely.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

BubbleBoy

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 02:30:51 pm »

I am not necessarily supporting the idea of having choose-a-target attacks with no game rule changes, as cards like that certainly can detract from the game. What I'm talking about is point-sharing. As in, teams are established before the game begins. In such games, a card that chooses a target can be used strategically rather than politically.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12  All

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.