Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: TR/KC/Black Market/Harvest madness  (Read 2031 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
TR/KC/Black Market/Harvest madness
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:28:48 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201108/14/game-20110814-130120-7c82fea4.html

So my opponent opens Silver-Thief-Thief(?!).  Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but his second Thief actually takes my opening Silver after I've used it just once--a big blow.  After getting a Black Market and an Ambassador and hurting his deck a bit with Coppers and Estates, I grab another Silver--which is immediately trashed.  And that's when I realize, hey, between Ambassador, Lookout, and Thief, I have almost no money in my deck.

Thankfully Black Market gives cash.  And both Throne Room and KC are available on the board.  I decide to start going overboard with BM, picking up a sparse few Golds which, among the number of actions I have, are going to be hard for the thief to hit.  So, on turn 10, I have 5 different cards in my deck and nothing else.  I basically am buying KC, TR, and cards out of the BM deck... one of which is Harvest.  I look at Harvest when it comes up and realize, huh, I have exactly the right sort of deck for it.  I'd never purchased it before in a game.  Ever.

This game, combined with KC, it netted by $9 on two separate turns.  By building up a deck that included so many multiplier cards, just a couple of +Action cards and a bunch of +Cards allowed me to draw most of my deck a couple of times, giving ridiculous turns on three of my last five turns.

Basically, I took a board with no combos on it and, with Black Market, got a mega-combo deck.  Perhaps it would have been easier to respond with Thief... but this was certainly more satisfying.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: TR/KC/Black Market/Harvest madness
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:29:12 am »

That's a funny game indeed.

I too largely ignore harvest, but I've used it in a few games. If there are a bunch of different "cantrips" or villages, it can generate a surprising amount of money.

A few months ago I played a game with:

Chapel
Pawn
Village
Wishing Well
Warehouse
Workers Village
Laboratory
Harvest
2 others that I can't remember at this moment.

I thought.... why not.. and I went for the harvest deck. It was very rewarding and satisfying.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:41:21 am »

I doubt you had any problems with your deck, but I had problems keeping cards in my deck last time I played Harvest.  I was helped out in trashing my Coppers by my opponent's Pirate Ship, and ended up with a deck so full of actions that Scrying Pool would draw my entire deck at once.  That's a pretty bad thing if you want to get money with Harvest.  At least I has Cutpurses (and maybe something else?) to get a little money so I could throw in some green, but it rarely helped enough; I'd still have to draw nearly my entire deck to get to my Harvests every time.
Stop reading my signature.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:43:05 am »

On that thought, I just had an idea for an interesting combo.

Draw your whole deck with Scrying Pool.
Play two Hamlets, discarding 4 unique cards.
Go crazy playing Harvests that are all worth $4.

It is a (at least) 4 card combo (needs a trasher), that probably needs a Village in there too if you want to play a large number of Harvests.  An Ironworks or University would also help out a lot.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:44:56 am »

On that thought, I just had an idea for an interesting combo.

Draw your whole deck with Scrying Pool.
Play two Hamlets, discarding 4 unique cards.
Go crazy playing Harvests that are all worth $4.

It is a (at least) 4 card combo (needs a trasher), that probably needs a Village in there too if you want to play a large number of Harvests.  An Ironworks or University would also help out a lot.

Hamlet is your village.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 02:32:04 pm »

I realize that, but it would be simpler to use a regular Village since you have to discard and mess up you Harvest to get your extra action.  Without Village, it would need to look like this:

Scry for all your cards.
Play all but 2 of your Hamlets to get your actions.
Scry again for all the stuff you discarded.
Play your last 2 Hamlets to set up Harvest.
Go crazy.

I shouldn't have said it needs a Village.  I was thinking it would work better with one than needing to use your Hamlets.  That probably isn't accurate though.  You only need 2 Scrying Pools, and you probably want at least that many.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »

That's a four card combo. I suspect it's far too fiddly to be practically used.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.45 seconds with 21 queries.