Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: so this is out?  (Read 61683 times)

1wheel

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
Re: so this is out?
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2012, 07:22:13 pm »

Hi Aaron,

Sorry about the slowness. We are working on making it a bit faster, but we are having a few issues right now. One of the things you can do in game to make it faster is change your animation speed.

1. Once you start the game, click the gear button on the bottom right of the screen.
2. Change your animation speed to fast or very fast

Hope that helps a little!

There are still some problems with very fast that makes unpleasant to use. It is impossible to tell exactly what you're opponents have done without opening up the log file, but doing that every turn is kind of silly and annoying. It'd be nice if the log of the last turn was easily viewable. An easier to implement alternative would be to have opponent's actions be animated slowly while skipping the animations for the players own moves.

Additionally, cards that allow for multiple simultaneous discards or trashes are extremely frustrating to use on high latency connections. It's great that security has improved enough so that deck and card states are stored server side, but there isn't any reason for the UI to hang for half a second between every card I chapel. There isn't any need for the server to know what order I've clicked on the chapel\cellar\vault cards so I'm not sure why the client has to send that information and wait on a response while I'm growing impatient. Isotropic gets around this issue with checkboxes and the iOS dominion app uses check marks on the selected cards. In addition to making the game play faster, their implementation also reduces the impact of miss clicks since checks can be unmarked before confirming the move.

rbruba

• Swindler
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2012, 07:25:09 pm »

All was going well until late in a single player vs. computer game and I played village and it did not let me play anything or end my turn. I was able to click on different cards to view them but not continue in my turn. I see now that it appears to be totally down so maybe it was taken offline as I was in the middle of the game.

Being my first time playing I was actually fairly impressed.... the speed issues people have been talking about either have been fixed or I don't need it as fast as some. I had it on slow and normal. I think the '+' symbols for gaining cards should be larger (you'll be clicking to add a card much more often than clicking to examine a card IMO). It could also organize your hand (place treasures together) I think. And it did hang on me, but overall pleased.

trisha_brooke

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »

Thanks! The main problem is just starting a game, but I realize you are still working on it. I am using Google Chrome, is there a browser you would suggest?

We did a few things to hopefully make it more stable so you'll be able to get into the games. Chrome and Firefox are the two browsers we suggest over the others right now.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2012, 10:50:34 am »

I've seen people post that there's a new pricing scheme, but I can't log in to check it out right now. Can someone post those details please?

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2012, 10:50:56 am »

Not sure if Trisha is still reading this thread, but just wanted to say that everything is super awesome now! I can actually play a game at normal speed or even faster. I have found a few bugs with Throne Room and Militia, but other than that it has been way cooler than I thought it would be ;D

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2012, 10:53:27 am »

right now you can buy seaside,prosperity and intrigue each set is divided in 2 parts which each cost 40 gokoins (4 dollars) or you can buy both part for 70 or you can buy all 3 of them for 200,you can also buy a dark ages set

the dark ages set contains altar,armory,band of misfits,bandit camp,count,cultist,fortress,ironmonger,procession,sage,scavenger,vagrant

you can buy gokoins in set of 2,5,10,20,50,100 the bigger the set the more free gokoins you get

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2012, 12:23:58 pm »
+2

This second release is being absolutely put to the sword over on BGG.

Such a tragedy. So much time and effort wasted on developing the "nice to haves" like adventure mode, and the AI (and worst of all those ridiculous avatars).... and way way not enough time spent making sure of the basics like game play, and oh yes, a system by which people can actually log in and register....

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2012, 12:54:57 pm »
+3

Such a tragedy. So much time and effort wasted on developing the "nice to haves" like adventure mode, and the AI (and worst of all those ridiculous avatars).... and way way not enough time spent making sure of the basics like game play, and oh yes, a system by which people can actually log in and register....
It's no surprise that you underestimate the amount of time they have spent on load testing etc., because those things are invisible to outsiders. All you can see is the most visible stuff.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2012, 01:31:23 pm »
+1

It's no surprise that you underestimate the amount of time they have spent on load testing etc., because those things are invisible to outsiders. All you can see is the most visible stuff.

I'll give you a +1 because you might have inside knowledge that says they did do tons and tons of load testing, but I can speak from personal experience that load testing is hard, expensive, and frequently the first to go when budget / timeline considerations are pressing, primarily because like you said, its invisible - both to customers and upper management.

Given that they "launched" with known and reported gameplay bugs, its not unreasonable to assume that other things were similarly deprioritized.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

trisha_brooke

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2012, 02:18:30 pm »
+3

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to give you guys an update. I posted this on BGG, but wanted to post it here, too. We are obviously working to fix the issues that you've raised. Here's what we've learned so far and the steps we've taken:

1) Site experiencing a database configuration issue that was causing slow downs and frozen games.
-Games were freezing because we had to manually reset a database. We issued an update last night that helped improve performance.
-We'll continue to monitor and address.

2) General problems on IE9.
-We're aware there are issues and will continue to address them in updates.
-If you're having problems and still want to play, please use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari for now.
-I'll give you guys an update when we have fixes in for IE9.

3) Mobile & tablet access is still under development
-The open beta is being tested for desktop browsers only, so please don't access via mobile or tablet.
-We will release mobile apps at a later time that address many of the issues that you're experiencing. Using container apps helps improve game performance by giving the app access to native hardware.
-These will roll out at a later time after we've fixed the issues you're seeing on the site.

I'll try to update as I get more information. I'm still reading this thread when I can. And thanks guys for the encouragement, and for those who are bringing up issues we're going to do our best to get to those as soon as possible.

Thanks!

trisha_brooke

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2012, 02:26:01 pm »

I'll give you a +1 because you might have inside knowledge that says they did do tons and tons of load testing, but I can speak from personal experience that load testing is hard, expensive, and frequently the first to go when budget / timeline considerations are pressing, primarily because like you said, its invisible - both to customers and upper management.

Given that they "launched" with known and reported gameplay bugs, its not unreasonable to assume that other things were similarly deprioritized.

We did do extensive testing on the DB, but the bug that cropped up is something we missed. Of course, this means that we'll be changing our tests in the future. Everyone is on this right now to make sure it's stable and faster than before. I know this is frustrating for everyone.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2012, 02:36:54 pm »
+5

We did do extensive testing on the DB, but the bug that cropped up is something we missed. Of course, this means that we'll be changing our tests in the future. Everyone is on this right now to make sure it's stable and faster than before. I know this is frustrating for everyone.

It's good to see Goko coming in and giving us updates and what's getting fixed.  That's really all we wanted - some dialogue.  :)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

brian_howell

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2012, 02:44:39 pm »
+4

Trisha had to step away for a bit today. So I'll giving Goko updates as the day goes on. We're going to issue a couple of updates today and are testing the first batch on staging now.

I'll try to give you guys a heads up for when the update is coming so you know when to expect downtime. Thanks for your patience.

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »

You really have no credibility on this topic anymore DXV.
This user is banned.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »
+2

Trisha had to step away for a bit today. So I'll giving Goko updates as the day goes on. We're going to issue a couple of updates today and are testing the first batch on staging now.

I'll try to give you guys a heads up for when the update is coming so you know when to expect downtime. Thanks for your patience.

Welcome to the shark tank, hope you brought an asbetos diving suit. :)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

brian_howell

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2012, 04:30:11 pm »

Thanks Kirian. I'm just here to collect feedback and pass along as much information as I can, so hopefully I'll be helpful.

Speaking of which, if you're having problems and are posting them here, I can help get them fixed more quickly if you share the following:
1) Which OS you're using
2) Which browser you're using (including version #)
3) A short description of what problem you encountered
4) A screenshot of some sort showing the problem

Thanks again for your patience.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »

Are you still using funsockets.ipbhost as well for additional feedback and feature requests? I finally got around to doing some testing and posted some stuff there without realizing the public beta may have switched up some of the procedure...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:37:06 pm by Polk5440 »

jhkokst

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2012, 05:24:48 pm »

When do you guys think this will pick up steam?  Right now, there are about 80 - 100 players on isotropic.  15 in Dominion room 1 on goko.  Obviously things will change when goko goes live...

I messed around a bit today, interface is polished, although I occasionally/hastily press the wrong button, discarded the wrong card, etc..  An undo feature would be really nice...  Playing only base got boring after awhile so I checked out adventure mode.  Cool for a few rounds, until I realized the opponent wasn't just starting with duchies, but 3 silvers as well.  Messed around with the zaps, but then got bored again.  I'd be interested in purchases the packages, but only if I know that there is going to be a competitive base of players to keep things interesting.  If the iso crowd moves to goko, I'd consider it.  If not, I can see myself logging on occasionally and hope to get a quick fix with someone who owns most of the sets.  What made iso fun was its simplicity: the game plus the leaderboard.  Hopefully goko can supply the same, I don't really care about the glitz of campaigns, avatars, etc.

brian_howell

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »

A couple of responses:

@Polk5440
-Thanks for collecting feedback. I appreciate it. You can continue to use funsockets.ipbhost for now. One of the issues we're fixing is a sign on problem with Get Satisfaction that is preventing us from properly gathering feedback there at the moment.

@jhkokst
-Glad that the game is working for you and you were able to finish a couple of games. We hope to get more people playing soon, but we obviously have some backend and game play fixes that need to take place before we do. But as soon as it's working well, we'll try our best to convince people to play it.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2012, 05:38:39 pm »
+2

Looks pretty slick.  I can see wanting to speed up animations maybe a little for your own cards, but not necessarily for opponent's cards.  You know what's happening with the yours (or should), but you have to do more processing for the opponent's cards.  An easy way to get a text log of the last turn would be extremely helpful.

Warlord Bot seemed pretty reasonable until he purchased a 2nd Moneylender, then a 3rd and I think even a 4th; my 4 straight $7 draws probably would have lost pretty handily if he had just bought Silvers.
Stop reading my signature.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2012, 05:40:58 pm »

I lost to one of the bots, so no complaints here.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2012, 06:58:04 pm »
+1

I lost to one of the bots, so no complaints here.

The bots seem to be obscenely dominant on certain kingdoms (they know EXACTLY when to buy Duchies), and obscenely stupid on others (yes, I'm sure that third Gold is much more important than those Goons you've been ignoring, Mr. Bot).
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2012, 07:04:23 pm »
+2

They are bots, not people. So they are going to play differently. The key is whether they are enjoyable to play against. And I for one think the AI implementation (and its continual improvement) is the most successful part of Goko Dominion.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2012, 09:05:56 pm »

Thanks Kirian. I'm just here to collect feedback and pass along as much information as I can, so hopefully I'll be helpful.

Speaking of which, if you're having problems and are posting them here, I can help get them fixed more quickly if you share the following:
1) Which OS you're using
2) Which browser you're using (including version #)
3) A short description of what problem you encountered
4) A screenshot of some sort showing the problem

Thanks again for your patience.

1) Windows 7
2) Chrome 21.0.1180.89
3) Black screen loading adventures
4) I don't have a screen shot handy but if you bring up the developer console it says cannot read property playername of undefined for some of the black screens and cannot call method substr on null. for the others.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2012, 09:17:51 pm »
+2

They are bots, not people. So they are going to play differently. The key is whether they are enjoyable to play against. And I for one think the AI implementation (and its continual improvement) is the most successful part of Goko Dominion.

Bots are people too!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 21 queries.