Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: FunSockets Q&A - Part 2 - soliciting questions  (Read 41836 times)

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
FunSockets Q&A - Part 2 - soliciting questions
« on: September 20, 2012, 03:46:10 pm »
+5

goko's responses to these questions can be found in this thread.
--------------------
hey all, i've been talking with FunSockets and they are game for running another Q&A session. for those unfamiliar, it will be a follow up to this one.  the Q&A is tentatively scheduled for October 3, giving you about two weeks to get in some questions.  the current format is unknown (possibly another video chat) but any suggestions there will be welcome as well. feel free to comment on or discuss any questions.

a few housekeeping comments...
  • if you are unfamiliar with the Goko implementation, consider heading over to the relevant FAQ post. it should provide answers to most basic questions.
  • try to keep your posts to a single question whenever possible. follow-up questions are cool, as are any explanations you want to add. too many questions in one post makes it harder for each point to be addressed, and it can be confusing as to which idea people are actually upvoting.
  • i would personally ask that you avoid being snarky whenever possible. we have other places in here where you can freely do that.  funsockets seems willing to actively address our community here, and i ask that we try to respect their effort.
  • the upvotes on each question will be used as a proxy for how important the community feels a question is, so even if you don't have a question yourself feel free to upvote other questions so they get answered.
  • once the questions start rolling in i will edit them into this post and rank them, similar to this.
  • please try to avoid duplicating questions when possible. i will try to be active in updating this post so that you can easily skim existing questions. any posts and ranks will be current to the time of my most recent edit.
  • in posting existing questions, i might edit them to keep things trim. if there is an issue with my edit let me know. either way, i will link to your full post.
  • Goko released a public beta of their product on september 21. they are addressing some questions and concerns over in this thread.
ask away!
--------------------
Communication
+12 - Can we get more regular updates of information of progress? Letting us know what is/isn't being worked on. Maybe a list of known issues and progress on resolving them?
+9 - Any word on release schedules for the unimplemented cards?
+7 - Please can we have more information about in game advertising?
+6 - What is the purpose of the 'invitational' beta that is still running but with an old version of the software? Is there a reason why there was no announcement made to the invited beta testers that a public beta was launched, or that the version they were testing was now outdated? Would you like to tell the invitational beta testers what their role is now?
+4 - Do you have a target date for a public reboot? When do you plan to add on new Beta users?
+3 - In the last Q&A you were asked about which other games Goko signed on for. Can you give us an answer to that now?
+3 - Have you guys considered starting a blog on your website?
+2 - Any update on the "something" for the beta testers that was mentioned on the get satisfaction page? Is there any reason to become an early adopter of the system with the pricing scheme as it is?

Bugs and Security
+5 - Are the reported memory leaks fixed?
+5 - There are still a ton of bugs/issues/etc that people have.  Would it be helpful of us to list them individually on GetSatisfaction?
+2 - What specific steps have been taken to close any security flaws (present in the original beta) in your system?
+1 - Did you release today (sept 21)? If so, how do we report bugs that we encounter in the release version?

Payment, Accounts, and Accessibility
+8 - Is the google requirement to obtain walled village firm? (this question is in reference to this)
+4 - What is the status of sessions being added? (when I to reload the page I can connect back to the game I was in instead of auto-forfeiting) Is this being worked on? Is it in testing? Is it something we will never see?
+4 - If the google requirement for walled village IS firm, is it possible that we can enter our google account once when we purchase walled village?
+4 - As you are accepting real money now, I suppose there will be no hard database resets anymore which result in losing our Adventure progress and game stats. Is my assumption correct?
+3 - If you buy the expansions in the beta with PayPal, will you get to keep the cards when this officially releases?
+2 - Will it be available in the app store? (even the computer version?)

Game Play
+7 - Will quick play be implemented for the launch? (like isotropics auto-match)
+7 - Is there any chance we can have our preferences saved from session to session?
+5 - Will there (ever) be the ability for users to combine sets they own to play a game?
+3 - When the iphone and other versions are implemented, will those players be able to play with players using a desktop?
+5 - Is there any chance that "very fast" animations will be changed to "turn off" animations?
+2 - I enjoy playing with random decks and choosing which deck i want to play. But since i bought the pack of 3 extension, i can't do random decks game like i want to do and i'm very upset since i paid money for something i could do by paying less!

Other
+15 - Is there anything that could be done to leave isotopic running? (for example, put it behind a goko pay wall) Does management @ Goko understand the perceived gaps in play enjoyment between the two systems?
+9 - Has any thought been given to alternate methods for obtaining the promo cards?
+4 - Are you happy with the traffic since launching into beta?  A quick check right now shows ~20-30 users logged into the goko beta, and 350+ currently logged into isotropic. What do you think is keeping them on isotropic? How do you plan on converting those users?
+4 - How does the rating system actually work? Numbers and formulas please...
+2 - What are the plans for the tournaments which give Victory tokens?
+2 - I personally think it is fair that we, the fans of the game, should be able to play the game with all the currently released cards (i.e. everything including all of Dark Ages) and with a decent interface. I would like to know why you won't give the OK for us to play with all of the Dark Ages cards on Isotropic?
+1 - How much work is being put into the iOS and mobile versions of the site? I tried playing on iPad and it made games ridiculously slow.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:03:56 pm by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: FunSockets Q&A - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:49:14 pm »

Magnets! How do they work?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

J-Kidder

• Thief
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 04:09:02 pm »
+4

Do you have a target date for a public reboot?

When do you plan to add on new Beta users?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 04:11:48 pm »
+9

Any word on release schedules for the unimplemented cards?  Obviously, I'd prefer to buy them in one chunk instead of smaller chunks (the full expansion packs are better deals than the individual mini packs)
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:17:04 pm »
+8

Is the google requirement to obtain walled village firm?  There are a variety of valid reasons why someone may be willing to pay for the privilege of not associating their google account with their funsockets account.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:18:36 pm »
+9

Obtaining the promo cards is currently a substantial grind (5 minutes per game x however many games to get 100 VP chips).  Has any thought been given to alternate methods for obtaining these cards that doesn't require playing a non standard dominion variant for multiple hours?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 05:00:24 pm »
+2

Obtaining the promo cards is currently a substantial grind (5 minutes per game x however many games to get 100 VP chips).  Has any thought been given to alternate methods for obtaining these cards that doesn't require playing a non standard dominion variant for multiple hours?

I can answer that right now from publicly available information. Victory tokens are awarded from Adventures and from tournaments. I recall seeing that some tournaments will be 'automatically generated'.

However, I'd be interested to know, what are the plans for the tournaments which give Victory tokens?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:10:18 pm »
+1

I notice the question mark island in Adventure mode is supposed to be for a tutorial - what are the other islands for?

Also, the "Unexplored Territory" seems too big to be just for Hinterlands, Cornucopia, Alchemy and Guilds.  What else will be there?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 07:20:40 pm »
+3

Perhaps a slightly more direct question than the above, are there any plans for adventures involving multiple dominion expansions?
Donald X has answered this

In the last Q&A you were asked about which other games Goko signed on for. Can you give us an answer to that now?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:51:24 am by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:34:48 pm »
+2

There were major security issues discovered in the original beta, and maybe in the original launch version. What specific steps have been taken to close any security flaws in your system? In particular, the following is a list of some concerns that people had with the launch version:

1. Passwords are sent in plain text (so don't do this on public wifi folks)
2. javascript in the chat lobby isn't escaped - so you can execute JS on everyone elses machines
3. the game server doesn't validate messages from the client - so you can do things like play bridges from the supply that you don't own - or just buy colonies without enough money for them.
4. full game state is sent to your client - so you can see whats in your opponents hand

Were all of these fixed? And even so, how can we trust your site knowing such major problems were in your code in the past?

Slurms

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 07:49:05 pm »
+7

Will quick play be implemented for the launch? (like isotropics auto-match)

Ideally I would like to be able to play auto-match pro games.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 07:50:08 pm »
+2

Also, the "Unexplored Territory" seems too big to be just for Hinterlands, Cornucopia, Alchemy and Guilds.  What else will be there?
Future campaigns that combine expansions.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 12:02:35 am »

ok, slight change for you guys. if possible i'd ask that you keep posts to a single question unless the questions are related to each other.

also, i probably won't getting around to adding your questions to the list (being out of town this weekend) until they have an upvote or two, especially if this thread expands quickly.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:44:03 pm by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 12:37:21 am »
+4

If the google requirement for walled village IS firm, is it possible that we can enter our google account once when we purchase walled village?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 01:58:52 am »
+13

Can we get more regular updates of information of progress? Blog or e-mails to beta tester or better still a weekly or fortnightly post on Dominion Strategy? Letting us know what is being worked on. What is not being worked on. Maybe a list of known issues and progress on resolving them?

stevemarks

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 05:15:21 am »

Can we get more regular updates of information of progress? Blog or e-mails to beta tester or better still a weekly or fortnightly post on Dominion Strategy? Letting us know what is being worked on. What is not being worked on. Maybe a list of known issues and progress on resolving them?

I'm seconding this question. Too often I feel in the dark, and so I get really demotivated to continue playing. More frequent updates and more communication in general would be great.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 06:16:07 am »

Also I'd quite like to know if they have any more big surprises in store for us? I was starting to think things were back going in a positive direction - a number of the early criticisms had been answered and a number of early problems fixed - then we find out about google + walled village. It makes me wonder whether there are there other major deals or things about the Goko implementation that have not been revealed yet?

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 08:15:08 am »
+7

Please can we have more information about in game advertising?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:18:07 am by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 08:17:57 am »
+4

How does the rating system actually work?
Numbers and formulas please, as opposed to the general "its a bit like True Skill".
It is impossible to test if this is working if we don't know the parameters used.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 08:26:09 am »
+1

Did you release today? If so, how do we report bugs that we encounter in the release version?

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 10:59:05 am »
+5

Will there be the ability for users to combine sets they own to play a game? For example, if I only had Prosperity and Hinterlands, and Ingrid only had Seaside and Intrigue, could we play a game with all four expansions?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 03:40:58 pm »
+1

Will there be the ability for users to combine sets they own to play a game? For example, if I only had Prosperity and Hinterlands, and Ingrid only had Seaside and Intrigue, could we play a game with all four expansions?

I think this was answered before, and the answer was no.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 03:49:57 pm »
+7

Is there any chance we can have our preferences saved from session to session?  I've hated opening a new game and having to immediately turn off the music and sound, and set the animations to Very Fast, before I can stand to play.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »
+1

I think this was answered before, and the answer was no.

I guess my question should then read: will there ever be the ability for users to combine sets to play a game?

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »
+2

Will it be available in the app store ? (even the computer version ?)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:54:16 pm by brokoli »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.