Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #18: Reaction Card!  (Read 42106 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #18: Reaction Card!
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2012, 12:45:07 pm »
+1

I love how my Jeweler (+Buy) was considered interesting, but wildly unbalanced, and my Sappers (Reaction) was considered balanced, but boring.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2012, 12:47:42 pm »

I don't think it's fair to drop your cards, eHalcyon, to the people who voted for them. This is the community set, right? The community has spoken!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2012, 03:29:19 pm »

Congrats to the winners, but not the ones I liked the most.

Problem with Silver Smelter is that I hate self synergizing cards; I hate Hunting Party and Cultist or any other card that turns into a race to win the split.

The problem with Landfall is that I don't see myself buying it all too often. Yeah, it can be good in the end game, but then you need to have bought it sooner, since you need to be buying Duchies in the end game. So are you going to handicap yourself with sub-par card early or pick it up late and hope to get to use the reaction part once, maybe twice?

A reaction should trigger more often than that.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2012, 03:44:30 pm »

I just didn't want to have to clarify that playing it that way would take no actions. But it's probably better, especially for tracking.

The name is meant to reference Wharf and be a response to Astrolabe.

And I am serious about dropping some of my cards. The ones that tied for first?
If you drop any cards at all, just Harbinger, the Fact or Fiction card. It is way too strong. Your cards won for a reason, though! Great work!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2012, 03:48:19 pm »

I just didn't want to have to clarify that playing it that way would take no actions. But it's probably better, especially for tracking.

The name is meant to reference Wharf and be a response to Astrolabe.

And I am serious about dropping some of my cards. The ones that tied for first?
If you drop any cards at all, just Harbinger, the Fact or Fiction card. It is way too strong. Your cards won for a reason, though! Great work!

That is the one I want to drop the most, simply because it is "the Fact or Fiction card".  I didn't mean to copy something from Magic.

Dropping it would have to be a community decision, but I'm not sure how that would be done.  I am just indicating that I am perfectly willing to cut out some of my cards.  I would not be upset about it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2012, 03:54:37 pm »

Dropping Fact or Fiction because it is Fact or Fiction is not a good reason to cut Fact or Fiction. IMO.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2012, 03:57:37 pm »

Dropping Fact or Fiction because it is Fact or Fiction is not a good reason to cut Fact or Fiction. IMO.

Well, it is probably way too strong too, as others have pointed out.  I also think it is a bit redundant, given how much big draw (both terminal and non-terminal) has made it into the set.

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2012, 06:22:25 pm »

"Secret History" of Silver Smelter   :P

I realize that Silver Smelter is actually a very weak card, but I took two things into consideration when making it. One is that the reaction could be overpowered enough in certain setups that the top part had to be a very weak action. At the same time, it had to be non-terminal since multiple copies of this card would otherwise junk up your deck way too much. Secondly, it had to have self synergy, otherwise it would be absolutely terrible in other set-ups.

Originally there was no +buy and it just said discard one card, but I thought that made the card almost always superior to silver, so I changed it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.