Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Horn of Plenty/Peddler  (Read 10859 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Combo: Horn of Plenty/Peddler
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:18:51 am »

Peddlers are great if you have extra buys, and they are easily spammable, since each Peddler makes Peddlers cheaper to buy later that turn. But they are usually not worth purchasing at full price or with only a single buy.

Because Horn of Plenty is a treasure card, it is played in the buy phase and thus can take advantage of the Peddler discount for action cards played. It serves as a virtual +buy, so you can acquire the Peddler with something else to improve your deck. Also, because the Peddlers give +1 card/+1 action, they make it easier to increase the number of cards in play, which can make the Horn more likely to be able to acquire a late-game Duchy or other victory card.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Horn of Plenty/Peddler
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:09:40 pm »

I'm not persuaded. Including peddlers in a deck (vs not having peddlers at all) will only on average increase the number of types of cards you play in a single hand by 1. Furthermore, Horn of Plentys are $5 buys, which makes them very inefficient as ways of picking up peddlers if any source of +buy is available. (Since you are using them basically as a pseudo +buy) Compare the other things you can get for $5 or less that will be more useful and just as good at getting peddlers - for example, workers village would be self-replacing, and also give you + actions, pawn/hamlet would give you more flexibility and is also super cheap, festival will give you $2 and let you chain actions as well. And so on. Meanwhile, if you want to make use horn of plenty, you really want some sort of drawer - e.g. hunting party/laboratory, or a village/drawer chain.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:13:02 pm »

It's also worth noting that the cards Fangz mentioned will all reduce the price of Peddler as well as supplying the +buy, where HoP only supplies the (virtual) +buy.

However, I hadn't thought of using HoPs to pick up Peddlers, and in the right situation it might be better than not doing it. I will keep it in mind.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 12:16:42 pm »

All true. I was playing a set with no source of +buy, so the HoP was a slick workaround. And, the ability to gain a late-game Duchy as a tiebreaker shouldn't be overlooked. It's easy to get a HoP to 5: play a Peddler, some other action card, 2 kinds of treasure, and HoP.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 20 queries.