Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Minion vs. Fool's Gold  (Read 1079 times)

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Minion vs. Fool's Gold
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:45:28 pm »
+1

Fool's Gold is very much the Minion of treasure cards: very strong if you can spam it and get multiples in a hand, but not worth much if your deck is dilute, whether due to lack of trashing, or junking attacks, or multiplayer games with more competition for the key resource.  Get six of them, and you're usually sitting pretty; get four and they don't do all that much for you.  (Minion is, of course, much less useless when you don't have so many, but it still suffers.)  These are cards which often force a race for them for denial's sake, even when there are other good options which would in a vacuum be better than just getting 5 Minions or FGs.

So... what happens when they're both on the board?  Which do you choose?  You obviously don't want both, they work at cross-purposes.  Here's a game where I chose Minion, and my opponent chose FG:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/17/game-20120917-201720-062108cb.html

cards in supply: Crossroads, Develop, Fool's Gold, Hoard, Inn, Minion, Oasis, Scheme, Walled Village, and Workshop

I tend to think of Minion as stronger than FG, and it was here (I won with 6 Provinces on Turn 16), but in retrospect the real key was that Minion support was better.  Workshop is in fact a reasonable enabler for Fool's Gold, especially when you're getting them uncontested, as a way to get more FGs in.  My opponent, in fact, took the whole pile, whereas I only had 5 Minions.  However, it's not a top-tier enabler... and Oasis is really good for Minions- providing cash and cycling, and not really any downside (who cares about discarding Copper when you're going to use Minion for draw-and-discard anyway?).  I was frequently getting more cash from Oasis than Minion, in fact, which tended to take on more of just a cycling role.  And obviously Develop is a really slow and weak trasher, but turning Estates into top-decked Oases was pretty nice.

And, of course, the Minion attack hurts Fool's Gold pretty badly, since it cycles green in faster and makes it hard to line up three FGs in a four-card hand.

But replace Oasis with, say, Council Room, and Fool's Gold quite possibly comes out on top.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
Re: Minion vs. Fool's Gold
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:38:12 pm »

It might be obvious, but top-decking Gold with Foll's Gold's reaction is nothing but a source of heartache against Minion. Sure, you get to draw them, but you will also immediately discard them. The added cycling means you may see them again, but they will have been diluted.
Perhaps if Hoff had been able to buy more FGs quickly (better FG support as you said) there may have been a stronger case for FG.
A question for the forum - do you think a strong trasher would have helped FG or Minion more? FG did get 2 provinces before Minion's first (and never another). I would think that being able to buy lots of FG (and Workshop them) with a weakened economy would make that strategy just fast enough to outpace the Minion strategy.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Minion vs. Fool's Gold
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:39:55 pm »
+1

I think Minion should generally have an advantage over FG by virtue of being an attack. Even with a lot of FGs, it's not easy to line up 3 of them in a hand of 4 cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.