Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Google + Walled Village  (Read 58314 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Google + Walled Village
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »

You can actually change your user name, but it is not obvious how to do so. First, you need to go to the Goko site where you can beta test all three current games and up on top your name appears, click on it and you can change it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 05:29:29 pm »

Or - I could complain it on the internet, hope that other people do the same, and maybe the company will change its behavior as a response to consumer feedback.
Given that they actually named Google there, I think a change is very unlikely. I think Google is who you have to convince at this point.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 05:33:06 pm »

So will this mean that perhaps other promo cards will require other accounts? If Envoy requires Yahoo, does that mean you won't be able to own both Envoy and Walled Village on the same account? Or can you sign in under both?

If nothing else, this is yet more impetus for me to create an email account specifically for interacting with Goko. Can't be too careful.

In general, I agree that it's ridiculous, and sets a bad precedent. Will I not be able to buy Hinterlands without a specific type of login?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 05:33:57 pm »

Or - I could complain it on the internet, hope that other people do the same, and maybe the company will change its behavior as a response to consumer feedback.
Not bloody likely.  Inelasticity is at work.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 05:47:34 pm »
+1

So will this mean that perhaps other promo cards will require other accounts? If Envoy requires Yahoo, does that mean you won't be able to own both Envoy and Walled Village on the same account? Or can you sign in under both?

If nothing else, this is yet more impetus for me to create an email account specifically for interacting with Goko. Can't be too careful.

In general, I agree that it's ridiculous, and sets a bad precedent. Will I not be able to buy Hinterlands without a specific type of login?
No other existing things have such requirements. As always I am trying to be precise here. I know of no plans to make a new campaign and tie it to Yahoo, or any other such random thing I couldn't possibly anticipate. No such thing will exist at re-launch, because I would know about it already. And I wouldn't agree to tie whatever to Hinterlands etc.

Google wanted a card. What's Google's involvement here, anyway? Man, not for me to say. They wanted a card though, that seems fair to say, and it did not sound unreasonable enough to reject (well, I rejected making a new card for them).

And that's all behind us. They got Walled Village, now you know. Go scream about it to Google if you want. If you want to scream at Goko, scream useful things that can actually result in the game being improved.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 05:50:14 pm »
+3

No other existing things have such requirements. As always I am trying to be precise here. I know of no plans to make a new campaign and tie it to Yahoo, or any other such random thing I couldn't possibly anticipate. No such thing will exist at re-launch, because I would know about it already. And I wouldn't agree to tie whatever to Hinterlands etc.

Google wanted a card. What's Google's involvement here, anyway? Man, not for me to say. They wanted a card though, that seems fair to say, and it did not sound unreasonable enough to reject (well, I rejected making a new card for them).

And that's all behind us. They got Walled Village, now you know. Go scream about it to Google if you want. If you want to scream at Goko, scream useful things that can actually result in the game being improved.

I expect a Google card would be Scavenger.  Search for the card you want! 

Or maybe Hunting Party or Sage.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 05:52:05 pm »
+1

It's bad customer service to tie customers into providers that they don't want to use.

Will the web adverts on Goko be provided by any chance by Google? Will the use of a google id for customer accounts be used for targeted advertising, by any chance?

(I haven't seen adverts in Goko Dominion but I have seen adverts elsewhere in the Goko beta)

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 05:52:55 pm »
+5

DG, we're only allowed to be complaining about crap that can be changed (...?), not crap that can't be changed! Donald himself said so.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 05:53:43 pm »
+1

Do you have a contact @ google to complain to?  I assume that goko does.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 05:56:58 pm »

(I haven't seen adverts in Goko Dominion but I have seen adverts elsewhere in the Goko beta)

This may or may not be the place to post this, but I have seen an advertisement on Goko Dominion. After the latest update, I "purchased" Parade of Misfits and started the first Dark Ages Adventure mode match. Before the first game actually started, an ad ran. I couldn't tell you what it was for because I immediately muted it and stopped paying attention. I was livid at the time. Having ads in a free product is one thing, but this is something that they are eventually charging real money for.

After that, I played a few Single Player mode games against the AI and no more ads appeared. I'm not sure whether the appearance of the ads is based on what mode you play, how long you've been playing, how many games you've played, or some combination of the above. I could learn to live with them as long as they don't pop up constantly.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 05:57:36 pm »

It's bad customer service to tie customers into providers that they don't want to use.

Will the web adverts on Goko be provided by any chance by Google? Will the use of a google id for customer accounts be used for targeted advertising, by any chance?

I don't have the answers to these or any other such questions.

The Google thing that I know turns out to be public after all. From insidesocialgames.com:

We saw Dominion in action at Google i/o and have been participating in the closed beta on the web since; the game is a standard take on the original board game with support for up to four players, but can utilize the technology of Google Hangouts so users can see each other while they play.
And to rephrase that: Dominion will be playable on Google, whatever that means exactly, you know, and it will be playable in Google Hangouts, whatever that means.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 05:59:19 pm »
+1

DG, we're only allowed to be complaining about crap that can be changed (...?), not crap that can't be changed! Donald himself said so.
Hi Fabian.

Complain about whatever you want here. Donald X. gives you permission. As if, amirite? But if you are bugging Goko about it then you are teaching them not to read feedback at all, because man they have a game to get launched.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 06:00:44 pm »

They do, don't they?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 06:01:31 pm »
+13

Do you have a contact @ google to complain to?  I assume that goko does.
dude have you tried

googling it

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 06:01:56 pm »

It might cost you (being the collective of Goko / RGG / DXV) some fans?
I don't follow you. Are you morally opposed to Google? You spend a few seconds on Google and you're done. Personally I am on multiple Google sites every day.

It's so funny how you think you can tell people what things they will mind.
This user is banned.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 07:16:44 pm »
+1

This may or may not be the place to post this, but I have seen an advertisement on Goko Dominion. After the latest update, I "purchased" Parade of Misfits and started the first Dark Ages Adventure mode match. Before the first game actually started, an ad ran. I couldn't tell you what it was for because I immediately muted it and stopped paying attention. I was livid at the time. Having ads in a free product is one thing, but this is something that they are eventually charging real money for.

After that, I played a few Single Player mode games against the AI and no more ads appeared. I'm not sure whether the appearance of the ads is based on what mode you play, how long you've been playing, how many games you've played, or some combination of the above. I could learn to live with them as long as they don't pop up constantly.

I agree. If I'm paying money for a product, I shouldn't have to see ads. Then, again, when you pay to see a movie at a movie theater, you do get a bunch of trailers beforehand.

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 07:17:43 pm »
+2

Yeah, what was that old marketing adage? Something like: for every person that writes a letter of complaint, 100 more people are likely pissed off, too.

Of course an angry forum post is probably worth a lot less than an actual signed letter in a stamped envelope sent through the post, but ya take what ya can get, innit?

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 07:36:34 pm »
+5

I expect a Google card would be Scavenger.  Search for the card you want! 

Or maybe Hunting Party or Sage.
I bet the card they *really* wanted Donald to make was Walled Garden.  Walled village had to suffice.  Google's been 'over' search for years now.

And, a little bit more on-topic:
http://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1228271, which says that your attempt to create an anonymous Google+ account (for dominion purposes) will get that account suspended, and you will not be able to make full use of Google services that require an active profile (Like, depending on the implementation, Goko, or the WalledVillage you paid for)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:44:45 pm by rod- »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 07:49:54 pm »
+1

I really like that it'll be possible to play dominion through google hangouts, I don't like that I'll have to use that account to log in but I can deal with it.

LastFootnote, it was a popup? New window or a clickthrough? Or was it something on the side? Because I absolutely will not pay 50+ dollars for a product if I'm gonna have to watch, or even click through, an ad before playing each game.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

1wheel

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 07:50:47 pm »

Google wants people to use their group video chats more. If goku is a success, many people will probably try to play over google hangout with their friends. Before the game can start, every player must agree to to the OAuth dialog which Rabid posted earlier. While most people will probably agree to it, it is still a friction point that decreases conversions, particularly when all players must agree for any of them to play. By encouraging everyone to grant goku a google OAuth token in exchange for a walled village, google is removing that friction point.

1wheel

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 07:56:47 pm »

I really like that it'll be possible to play dominion through google hangouts, I don't like that I'll have to use that account to log in but I can deal with it.

LastFootnote, it was a popup? New window or a clickthrough? Or was it something on the side? Because I absolutely will not pay 50+ dollars for a product if I'm gonna have to watch, or even click through, an ad before playing each game.

You should only have to go through the dialog once. At some point, goku might start showing ads but this is probably more about google playing them to drive traffic towards google+.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 08:01:25 pm »

You should only have to go through the dialog once. At some point, goku might start showing ads but this is probably more about google playing them to drive traffic towards google+.

I don't think he was talking about going through google though? It looks like he was just beginning an adventure mode game. I will be so angry with goko if they start giving me (obnoxious) ads after I've paid for the product.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 08:07:18 pm »

I don't want to get too involved in the ads because we really don't know what Goko have planned, whether they will only be shown to free users of the system, or whether they will be in Dominion at all. A statement from Goko might be nice to clear up any confusion.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 08:36:44 pm »

I don't want to get too involved in the ads because we really don't know what Goko have planned, whether they will only be shown to free users of the system, or whether they will be in Dominion at all. A statement from Goko might be nice to clear up any confusion.

I absolutely agree.

1wheel

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 09:03:50 pm »
+4

Right now, they are planning on incorporating ads. Poking around the source of the web page revealed several things:

• You can get rid of them by paying (enough) money : "Please support our sponsors – their ads help us bring you games for free. If you would like to skip these ads in the future, buy an individual Dominion expansion, Complete Expansion, or Super Pack with Gokoins in the store." Parade of Misfits is not a complete expansion, so LastFootnote will be stuck with ads until buying more. I bought all the expansions when I logged into the reset beta and haven't seen any ads.
  • The ads will play for 35 seconds with width of 660px and height of 400px (on my computer).
  • Currently, the ads are for Wild Tangent(which apparently is still in buinesses after installing bloatware on millions of computers? According to wikipedia, they make money now by selling 'WildCoins').
  • The ads make a call to doubleclick. Between that and the frequent google-analytics throughout the goku client, I don't think anyone is losing that much privacy by logging in with their google ID.
  • The ads will play no more then once every 13 minutes.
  • WildTangent ads don't work on iOS and aren't allow in google hangouts, so there are no ads on those platforms (for now).
  • Code comment: 
            // There are two scenarios of show ads:
            // 1. Multiplay game
            // - show ads or not base on host table (showAds flag in table setting), the flag should be set
            // after owner create table
            // 2. Single play (campaign, single play .. no table or no showAds in table settings)
            // - if player is premium user, not so ads anymore
            // - if not, ads will be showed if reaches due time (aka "13m")
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:31:33 pm by 1wheel »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 2.436 seconds with 21 queries.