Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: $4 Village + Amba  (Read 2346 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
$4 Village + Amba
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:28:12 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/18/game-20120918-111937-5ec9691b.html

I just played this epic (40 turn) length game against Mr. OWB - featuring:

Amba, Mountebank, Walled Village, and Monument

OWB opened Amba / Silver, I opened WV / Amba - aiming for a 2nd amba during the first shuffle.

When there are villages on the board, its going to be hard to convince me to not go double amba, but with $4 villages I frequently like to buy one turn 1 just in case I can't buy it T3/4 (which is most likely going to happen if you get lucky and split your ambas)

Does anyone know the best way to simulate such openings? 

In this game I got off to a slow start, but then was able to thin my deck faster than OWB.  When he started firing multiple mountebanks he had the edge (deck size wise), but at that point we were in full on bloat mode and it didn't matter quite as much.

After the game he suggested that perhaps triple amba was the way to go...
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: $4 Village + Amba
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:38:33 pm »
+1

For what it is worth, I very much support $4 village openings with ambassadors for the most part.  Essentially, by going $4 village/ambassador, you are forgoing possibly double ambassdoring T3/T4 for an automatic $4 village.  The other method would risk collision and possibly not hitting $4 village on those non-collision turn. 

It will take either a strong $5 or Goons for me to consider silver... strong $2 or peddler for double ambassador. 

I give more reasoning for $4 village openings if there are no repeatable cards <$4.  Much the same reason you want Caravan/Tournament with your ambassador except those are probably stronger. 

This probably only works for Worker's village and Walled village.  I don't think farming village has the same utility here with ambassador. 

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:02:33 pm »

For what it is worth, I very much support $4 village openings with ambassadors for the most part.  Essentially, by going $4 village/ambassador, you are forgoing possibly double ambassdoring T3/T4 for an automatic $4 village.  The other method would risk collision and possibly not hitting $4 village on those non-collision turn. 

It will take either a strong $5 or Goons for me to consider silver... strong $2 or peddler for double ambassador. 

I give more reasoning for $4 village openings if there are no repeatable cards <$4.  Much the same reason you want Caravan/Tournament with your ambassador except those are probably stronger. 

This probably only works for Worker's village and Walled village.  I don't think farming village has the same utility here with ambassador.

If there's no village/engine and you open doubleamb over amb/silver I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 05:35:30 pm »

If there's no village/engine and you open doubleamb over amb/silver I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong.
Oh you probably misinterpreted, but my answer was strictly for the case of there being a $4 village and a reason to ambassador in the first place (ie. engine).

In this game, I think there is reason to ambassador for most of the start.  Probably gets tricky on how to ambassador curses at some point for mountebank defence.  Then again, I am a big proponent of amb/amb a good chunk of the time. 

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:35:29 pm »

Could you expound on this a little, please? Is the detriment the possibility of skipping over your estates, preventing you from Ambing them, effectively tanking your economy faster than with WV or WV?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:49:01 pm »

Could you expound on this a little, please? Is the detriment the possibility of skipping over your estates, preventing you from Ambing them, effectively tanking your economy faster than with WV or WV?

Not being able to amb away skipped Estates also means missing out on junking the opponent's deck.  That could be part of it too, maybe.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:28:28 pm »
+1

Not being able to amb away skipped Estates also means missing out on junking the opponent's deck.  That could be part of it too, maybe.
It's not that farming village is bad... it is more walled village's purpose is to avoid collisions, and worker's village is just one of the better one.  Farming village could also probably work in that spot as well, I just like the other two more in this situation

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:19:12 pm »

After the game he suggested that perhaps triple amba was the way to go...

There is a line of thought that he could have taken a second mountebank on turn 6, when you didn't have a single silver, and just accelerated away. It's a bit scary to let the opponent build some tight ambassador/mountebank/monument deck but there's no extra buy, only 5 card hands, and mountebanks continually polluting the deck.

Edit - after a good night's sleep I'll point out to myself that ambassador, villages, and 3 monuments could be a winning deck.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:46:17 am by DG »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.