Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gardens "rush" an option here?  (Read 1408 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Gardens "rush" an option here?
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:36:44 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/17/game-20120917-191324-fb45a570.html

Yes, I know that my opponent resigned, and that sort of stuff is frowned upon here, but that's not the point.

I was wondering if a Gardens "rush" using Scheme, Horse Traders, and a Witch or two would beat the strategy that I used. 20 turns to 4 Provinces seemed awfully slow and Curses plus HT's +buy bloats your deck, while Schemes allow you to play HTs more often. HT will also let the player hit $5 more often after the Gardens are out.

(Also any advice on what I did do is appreciated as well.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:37:50 am by dondon151 »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Gardens "rush" an option here?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:08:45 am »

My guess is trading post before witch, you might not even need a witch, and then set up scheme/conspirator with wishing wells/warehouse as support. The problem with the gardens rush is the sustained capability of an opponent to buy provinces if you're not using regular attacks.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:20:35 am »

Well, if you're rushing Gardens, which other piles are you going to rush?

Otherwise it's not a Gardens rush, but a Gardens stall where you're saying: Okay, mr opponent, do your best on all the Provinces, I'll try to get my Gardens to 4 or 5 VP a piece.

And I don't think something like that is going to cut it.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 05:25:13 pm »

My guess is trading post before witch, you might not even need a witch, and then set up scheme/conspirator with wishing wells/warehouse as support. The problem with the gardens rush is the sustained capability of an opponent to buy provinces if you're not using regular attacks.

I was afraid that my opponent would build up too quickly if I didn't get a couple of Curses in his deck. I recognized that there was no need to get 2 Witches (partially due to Scheme) but I'm under the impression that when cursing and weak trashing are available, the first curser takes priority over the trasher? There's a lot of marginal benefit to be received by just having 1 curser (because then I won't lose the Curse split 10-0, for one).

Well, if you're rushing Gardens, which other piles are you going to rush?

Otherwise it's not a Gardens rush, but a Gardens stall where you're saying: Okay, mr opponent, do your best on all the Provinces, I'll try to get my Gardens to 4 or 5 VP a piece.

And I don't think something like that is going to cut it.

Scheme or Estate? I'm assuming that the Curses are going to run out. Naturally the Gardens player will want to pick up a Witch or 2 himself to slow his opponent down. I'm just a little skeptical that a Province player can counter effectively because a Gardens player can pick up all sorts of lower VP with HT, and can potentially end the game in 4 turns after the Gardens are out if he can play HT every turn and have $4 to spend.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:34:09 pm »

I recognized that there was no need to get 2 Witches (partially due to Scheme) but I'm under the impression that when cursing and weak trashing are available, the first curser takes priority over the trasher?

I have a general rule that when you have witch and trading post in the kingdom, and you do need the trading post, then you take the trading post first. It's probably marginal either way but the trading post probably suits the mirrored horse trader/scheme start.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:37:00 pm by DG »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.