Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Garrison variant  (Read 1865 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Garrison variant
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:56:04 pm »

Garrison is a nice idea, but I'm still a little unconvinced by this card. What I like with torturer and rabble is that they are getting bettter and better the more you play them, whereas garrison becomes useless as soon as you play it for the 3rd time.

With Dark Ages and the arrival of ruins and looter, I think this would be interesting :

Action - $5
+3 Cards
Each other player choose one : he puts a card from his hand on top of his deck ; or he gains a ruin.

This is usually better than garrison, but probably not better than torturer.

I don't want to change the actual card, but I would like your opinion, to maybe try it myself.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: Garrison variant
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 01:09:54 pm »

Another thing about Garrison in multiples is that you are likely to put a card on top of your deck and redraw it immediately. Garrison doesn't work chained more than twice. I think that is fine, since cards on the top of your deck attacks are among the strongest. Ghost ship has no attack benefit at all from even a second playing.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 01:24:10 pm »

Garrison is a nice idea, but I'm still a little unconvinced by this card. What I like with torturer and rabble is that they are getting bettter and better the more you play them, whereas garrison becomes useless as soon as you play it for the 3rd time.

The idea behind Garrison was having every player take the same action, but that action helping you and hurting your opponents. Masquerade has a similar feel sometimes. I think the symmetry is what makes the card interesting.

Mechanically, it's a cross between Ghost Ship and Courtyard, both of which have diminishing returns on their effectiveness in multiple, so it's unsurprising that Garrison does, too.

Your proposed version has the issue that it makes the "Put a card back" almost always beneficial for your opponent. Ghost Ship is a strong attack because I have to decide between my bad cards going to this turn, or to next turn. It'd be much weaker with a buyout clause -- then it's "Hey, I want to save a card for next turn. Yay!"

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:48:46 pm »

The idea behind Garrison was having every player take the same action, but that action helping you and hurting your opponents. Masquerade has a similar feel sometimes. I think the symmetry is what makes the card interesting.

Wow, I absolutely not realized that.  :-[ The card seems much more interesting now.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.