Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Apothecary/Highway + 1 Expand slower than BM!?  (Read 1738 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Apothecary/Highway + 1 Expand slower than BM!?
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:12:37 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/17/game-20120917-041029-d1488f72.html

How did this go wrong? It seems like an obvious enough idea. Clearly I'm not going to be building some massive engine, but it seems like I didn't get nearly as much deck cycling as Apothecary normally gets by itself. This confuses me, since Highway cantrips. Was I just massively unlucky?

(I don't mean to imply that opponent played BM; opponent worked out something faster using the Cartographer and Menagerie. But 23 points in 16 turns, with no guarantee that I could have hit a Province the next turn, is not exactly impressive.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:13:49 am by zahlman »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Apothecary/Highway + 1 Expand slower than BM!?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:27:33 am »

No +Buy.  ;)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:43:16 am »

Expanding random stuff to Provinces sounds cute, but the payload of this engine (especially without +buy) is not that good...

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:55:31 pm »
+1

it seems like I didn't get nearly as much deck cycling as Apothecary normally gets by itself. This confuses me, since Highway cantrips.
But if your deck is only like 25% Copper, the Apothecaries themselves aren't actually going to draw a lot of cards. They only cycle quickly in decks with very little other stuff. Once you add a lot of other actions, the function shifts to primarily sorting cards, and you just have a weaker version of Cartographer.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 02:57:27 pm »

it seems like I didn't get nearly as much deck cycling as Apothecary normally gets by itself. This confuses me, since Highway cantrips.
But if your deck is only like 25% Copper, the Apothecaries themselves aren't actually going to draw a lot of cards. They only cycle quickly in decks with very little other stuff. Once you add a lot of other actions, the function shifts to primarily sorting cards, and you just have a weaker version of Cartographer.

Wouldn't say it's weaker...

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:02:39 pm »

Wouldn't say it's weaker...

On the whole, it's not weaker, because it's much stronger early on, but once your deck is full of actions and you're not really drawing any Copper into your hand, it is in general weaker. The +$1 from drawing the Copper can help, but probably not more than potentially discarding other unwanted cards. I don't know, maybe it's a wash on average.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:05:04 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 07:36:30 pm »

The deck cycling was slow since you had 3 silvers in your deck quite early. If you look at the kingdom though that's not an unexpected result since the cheap cards are a bad fit for the apothecary deck. This suggests that something with courtyards may have been better.

You first played your expand on turn 12. This shows it had arrived too late. You needed gold or a bank since they would have been useful immediately in the province race. With an expand and apothecaries you were probably best trashing out the silver and leaving the copper to be drawn by apothecaries.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:38:08 pm by DG »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.