Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Play faster newb"  (Read 5791 times)

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
"Play faster newb"
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:05:38 pm »

So I've been told some variant of the title a few times in the last month or so. It happens at the beginning of the game, because I sometimes like to take about a minute to examine the board and plan what to do. I'll usually say a greeting and play out my money to let my opponent know that I'm there, and then that's when I pause.

Is this really considered bad form? Once the initial thinking phase is over, I play pretty briskly. A couple of times I've explained that I'm just thinking, and it's been met with hostility: "I don't have time for this GO" or "OMG HURRY UP NEWB". One person has even left the game within the first minute.

I dunno, I actually like to think when playing this strategy game, and the most important thinking happens before the first Buy. What's the point if you're forced to treat it like a twitch RTS à la Warcraft 2?

But I'm open to feedback if you think I'm the one being rude.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: "Play faster newb"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »

You're not the one being rude.  Especially at the start of the game, it's not uncommon to take a couple of minutes to think.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »

Certainly if your opponent is calling you names, you're not the one being rude. That being said, it never hurts to type "thinking" if you like to sit on your turn one buy for more than a little bit. I often wonder if an opponent has disconnected when this happens.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:42:24 pm »

There is a line in here somewhere. Thinking a minute at the start of the game if it's a complicated board is fine. Regularly taking "a couple of minutes" in non-tournament games would cause me to go mental, that's for sure.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 03:32:10 pm »

I'm even ok with taking a minute on each turn, assuming you can tell they're new and not entirely sure what they're doing. The thing that frustrates me is when someone builds a complicated engine and then spends 20 seconds on EVERY SINGLE MOVE. I played a game like that and by the time it hit turn 15 it had taken over half an hour. It was rough.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 03:51:18 pm »
+1

I'm sure that I won't reach my target audience with this comment, but here's trying:

If you want to play against faster players, set your preferences to a tighter window (if possible, one that doesn't include levels 1-15).  Also, don't reject everyone you come across that's ranked higher than you and still expect everyone to play fast.

I think getting repeatedly-rejected by a player named "fast players only please" when I accepted -without looking at the board- as fast as humanly possible struck a nerve. 

Jive Junkie

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 06:25:09 pm »

There is a line in here somewhere. Thinking a minute at the start of the game if it's a complicated board is fine. Regularly taking "a couple of minutes" in non-tournament games would cause me to go mental, that's for sure.

Oh I definitely agree. Besides the beginning, I'll almost never take more than 10-15 seconds for a move. There are rare exceptions (like crazy King's Court combo decks with a variety of actions in hand), but usually the opponent's taking a while on his turns too.

It's the people who can't stand a one-time 30-60 second wait at the beginning of the game that really mystify me. The most fun part of the game (for me, anyway) is analyzing a board and trying to figure out what to do.

I'm sure that I won't reach my target audience with this comment, but here's trying:

If you want to play against faster players, set your preferences to a tighter window (if possible, one that doesn't include levels 1-15).  Also, don't reject everyone you come across that's ranked higher than you and still expect everyone to play fast.

I think getting repeatedly-rejected by a player named "fast players only please" when I accepted -without looking at the board- as fast as humanly possible struck a nerve.

It's funny that you say that, because I've noticed that most of the people that get mad at me for taking time at the beginning of the game are lower-ranked players (0-15). It is then pretty ironic when they call someone 15 levels higher than them a newb. If anything, if you want a faster game, I think playing lower ranks is a better bet. Higher ranks (or at least mid-level ones like 20-30) often think more.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:30:16 pm by Jive Junkie »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 07:48:43 pm »

Yeah, you're not going to get very high ranked by blindly buying something in the first 5 seconds of every game. A lot of the strategy of the game is planning your deck when you first see the board, which most of the time for me takes at least 20 to 30 seconds, unless it's a really simple and obvious board. In fact, I'm sure a lot of lower-leveled players would improve by taking more time at the beginning of a game.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 12:35:07 pm »
+1

I really only ever say 'play faster' if we're well into the game, and then they suddenly do nothing. 
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 03:10:02 pm »
+1

I find it infuriating when players in the high 20s repeatedly reject automatches with me (I'm low 40s). +/- 20 is often the only way I can get matches. +/- 20 for you, unless you're willing to accept on the top end of the range, is just a cheesy way to beat up on novices.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »
+1

I find it infuriating when players in the high 20s repeatedly reject automatches with me (I'm low 40s). +/- 20 is often the only way I can get matches. +/- 20 for you, unless you're willing to accept on the top end of the range, is just a cheesy way to beat up on novices.

I second this.  I also play +/- 20 (otherwise I'm waiting for a while), and I get angry when I get rejected multiple times.  If you aren't going to automatch, then get out of the queue.

There is one player that I avoid on isotropic that I frequently run into via automatch.  As soon as I get automatched with him, I immediately get out of queue and wait for him to get matched otherwise.

If you don't want to play with me - then get out of the queue or set your range to a reasonable level.

As for the original topic of slow play - I do find regular slow play to be irritating.  It's ok if we're having a friendly conversation about the game, but I'll admit to not wanting to play with someone who regularly takes an extended turn (spending some extra time at the beginning makes sense)

Of course, I'd probably be a few levels higher if I stopped to smell the cards once in a while and thought about it instead of just auto buying.

Generally - if you're a slow player - then just tell the person you're playing with.  One game isn't going to ruin my day, and I'd never tell you to play faster n00b.... that's just rude.

For the first minute - before you start - say "Taking a few minutes to size up the board - ok?"  Most players are polite about this.  The ones who aren't?  Well - be thankful for the free wins.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 03:20:45 pm »

I really only ever say 'play faster' if we're well into the game, and then they suddenly do nothing.

I ask if they are still there, usually.

But of course you are to take a minute before first turn to think of general strategy. I find that fine and I do it often, and if you have to do it in the middle of the game when you are thinking of what to buy or so, say that you are "thinking".

Also, I agree that taking 10 seconds for every single action(some people do), is rude.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 03:45:55 pm »
+1

I second this.  I also play +/- 20 (otherwise I'm waiting for a while), and I get angry when I get rejected multiple times.  If you aren't going to automatch, then get out of the queue.

I'll third that.  I usually play +/- 15 lately.  It's kinda cool either to beat or be schooled by a level 40+ (I seem to stay near 30-32); in the former case, awesome, in the latter case, you probably will learn something.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:13 pm »

I dunno, I actually like to think when playing this strategy game, and the most important thinking happens before the first Buy.

I'm glad you made this thread, OP, because I preemptively rush through my first two turns simply in order to avoid my opponent becoming mad at me. I think most of us could use the reminder that this is a strategy game and that the first few buys are the most important ones in the game, so we should make those initial decisions carefully. I need to come up with a game plan before rushing into things instead of worrying so much about what my opponent thinks.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 01:22:04 am »

I'll third that.  I usually play +/- 15 lately.  It's kinda cool either to beat or be schooled by a level 40+ (I seem to stay near 30-32); in the former case, awesome, in the latter case, you probably will learn something.

Huh, for some reason I thought you were a 40+. :P

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 11:12:07 am »

Huh, for some reason I thought you were a 40+. :P

Nope, my skills aren't as developed as I'd like, and I tend to make dumb errors enough to keep my rating down.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 10:11:10 pm »

Wait, people do that?  I always hate the + / - options because to include the level 50+ people I have to include people below 30... hm, weird.
A man on a mission.

Jive Junkie

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 02:18:15 am »

I dunno, I actually like to think when playing this strategy game, and the most important thinking happens before the first Buy.

I'm glad you made this thread, OP, because I preemptively rush through my first two turns simply in order to avoid my opponent becoming mad at me. I think most of us could use the reminder that this is a strategy game and that the first few buys are the most important ones in the game, so we should make those initial decisions carefully. I need to come up with a game plan before rushing into things instead of worrying so much about what my opponent thinks.

Yeah, and I think that if it's even a semi-complicated board, your opponent will probably want to think a little at the beginning as well and would not get annoyed at all. Theoretically, you'd only upset the people whose fingers can't stand to not be clicking every second or so or are trying to set a Dominion Games Per Hour record.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 10:56:13 am »

"Slow play" doesn't mean thinking to me, it means not starting your turn right away. I don't mind at all if someone takes time during their buy phase to think even after the opening (or even if they have to think in the action phase because sometimes there are tricky turns). Some people surf the net and play at the same time, and I don't want to be sitting there for 30 seconds to a minute at the beginning of each turn waiting for them to start, play 3 Coppers and buy a Silver.

I am surprised that so many people avoid high ranked players. I go out of my way to try to get more matches with better players -- inviting rather than automatch, or asking for a rematch or two (as I did with you recently, I believe, Stealth Tomato).

Although, I do admit, when playing a higher ranked opponent, I play slower than if I am playing a low ranked opponent. I play at a fairly leisurely pace anyway, but when playing someone highly ranked, I try harder to play well and win rather than trying out fancy engines/card combos like I tend to do against lower ranked players.

I do always try to let the other person know when I am thinking, because sometimes my internet connection just dies (like it did yesterday -- I had opened 5/2 Witch, gotten a lead and lost my connection :( ).

Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.403 seconds with 21 queries.