Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My Biggest Comeback  (Read 686 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
My Biggest Comeback
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:40:02 pm »
+4

I played this game vs. Fumanchu, we're both lvl 30+ players.

I will post the log on the bottom, but here's how it went down.

On a board with a lot of juicy $5's like Market, Highway, Tactician and Stables and some helpful side cards like Warehouse and Loan my opponent chooses to play a simple BM+Envoy.

I think to myself: "Surely not! There must be an engine that can beat that!"
I'm no stranger to BM decks myself and often choose them if I think there's no engine.
The thing is, I'm more and more convinced there's often a small engine even when you think there's none. Trying to build one and failing horribly is also more fun than losing a boring mirror match.

And BM+Envoy (as does any BM engine) tends to slow down a good deal past a couple of Provinces, just because the Golds get smudged out and you can deny a critical Gold on an Envoy play.

My plan is to build the engine, let him get a couple of Provinces and make a nice comeback with some big turns.

But then he starts eating Provinces.....
On turn 15 he buys his 6th Province, wow, that's fast!!!

I'm plugging away with Highways and Markets and a single Tactician. I had planned on double Tac, but Fumanchu's Province chugging speed made me nervous and I focused more on Highway and Market. I had opened Loan/Silver to be able to string more of those action cards together. I'm often highly suspicious of Loan, but I chose to go with it.

Finally, it was time for my comeback.
I didn't dare to buy the PPR, not because I was afraid he could buy the last one - in fact, if he bought the 7th one he would have won anyway -, but because I needed an insane amount of Duchies to not be mathematically shut out.

On my turn 15 I bought 5 Duchies and 3 more on turn 17.
Luckily, he was stalling hard and could only buy Estates.
I was anxiously watching the point counts, as long as he was under 44 there would still be a chance for at least a tie.

On turn 19 I finally was able to buy the last Province and the last Estate for a 43-43 tie.
I ended up with 2 Provinces, 8 Duchies and 7 Estates to his 6 Provinces and 7 Estates.

So you see you never ever have to give up if there's even a remote possibility of a comeback. Once decks start greening, they start stalling and you can try to catch up.

Here's the log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/14/game-20120914-132205-ee9b7f5b.html

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.