Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: There's no excuse for...  (Read 8068 times)

rls22

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
There's no excuse for...
« on: September 14, 2012, 02:06:26 pm »
+1

... being a high-ranked player and not clicking "Resign" when you want to resign.  I don't care if you want to resign because the game isn't winnable for you, but don't make me wait 3 minutes before I can play another game. 

I usually just assume the person doesn't know about the Resign button (and in case you're reading this and don't, if you want to resign, at the start of your turn, hit the End Turn button and the Resign button will appear; if you just close your browser, your opponent has to wait 3 minutes to resign you).  But, if you're Lvl 30+ or have 1k+ games, there's no excuse.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: There's no excuse for...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:33 pm »
+4

In that person's defence, I highly doubt someone is trying to punish you for winning.  Out of frustration, people close their browsers, or they disconnect, actually have to be away from the keyboard and so forth.  I know 3 minutes can be a long time, but I doubt it is personal.  We aren't being flooded with trolls of these sorts on Iso. 

Do what I do, I multi-task.  Those 3 minutes will fly on by!

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 02:35:25 pm »

I sympathize, but this doesn't warrant a thread. It's a rant along the lines of the "decline of civility" threads that have been eventually locked.

Edit-- Also, this:
Do what I do, I multi-task.  Those 3 minutes will fly on by!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:36:38 pm by thirtyseven »
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:50:56 pm »
+4

My internet is not always that steady, so I can be subject to sudden disconnections.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

rls22

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 03:12:57 pm »

A.  I always multi-task when I play dominion.  Still, it's annoying to have to wait because someone else was discourteous.

B.  The last two times it's happened (in the past 24 hours, both with higher ranked players), it's been right after a big turn of mine that basically rendered the game unwinnable for the other person.  So, I highly doubt it's internet connectivity issues in these instances, given the timing. But, of course, that's always a possibility.

C. My whole point is that if you're a high-ranked player, closing your browser out of frustration is not okay.  Some folks don't know about the resign button, or don't care about courtesy or the community or whatever, but I would hope for better from higher ranked folks or people who play a lot.  For the most part, this community is pretty great, so I recognize this is a minor quibble in the Grand Scheme of things (Grand Scheme - you can put two action cards back on your deck?) .

D.  If it teaches more people about the Resign button, or causes more people to actually use it, then I would suggest that a thread is warranted.  I purposefully didn't name any names of the people who did it because I didn't want this to be a "shaming" thread.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 03:18:33 pm »

A.  I always multi-task when I play dominion.  Still, it's annoying to have to wait because someone else was discourteous.

B.  The last two times it's happened (in the past 24 hours, both with higher ranked players), it's been right after a big turn of mine that basically rendered the game unwinnable for the other person.  So, I highly doubt it's internet connectivity issues in these instances, given the timing. But, of course, that's always a possibility.

C. My whole point is that if you're a high-ranked player, closing your browser out of frustration is not okay.  Some folks don't know about the resign button, or don't care about courtesy or the community or whatever, but I would hope for better from higher ranked folks or people who play a lot.  For the most part, this community is pretty great, so I recognize this is a minor quibble in the Grand Scheme of things (Grand Scheme - you can put two action cards back on your deck?) .

D.  If it teaches more people about the Resign button, or causes more people to actually use it, then I would suggest that a thread is warranted.  I purposefully didn't name any names of the people who did it because I didn't want this to be a "shaming" thread.

I think we played a game recently, I hope this wasn't me.  I know that I've lost games before because I got distracted on another tab - or an emergency came up. 

I avoid a few other high ranked players due to bad behavior (won't name names), but I can't remember the last time I felt that someone rank 35 or above had explicitly disconnected to make me deal with the full 3 minutes.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:19 pm »

Well, yeah, with regards to emergencies: I've recently become a parent so when I become unresponsive it could be that the baby has started crying uncontrollably and I can't wait 2 seconds 'cause mommy's asleep.

Sorry 'bout that.  :D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1854
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 03:41:40 pm »

For a long time I thought closing the tab auto-resigned; I hope I didn't make too many folks wait on account of that. (In fact, you can just click "exit" if you don't want to wait for your next turn.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:49 pm »

For a long time I thought closing the tab auto-resigned; I hope I didn't make too many folks wait on account of that. (In fact, you can just click "exit" if you don't want to wait for your next turn.)

Although the exit button does lead to some weird behavior sometimes! If you are playing attacks and such, Iso will auto-respond for your opponent in weird ways. Or if you hit exit during your turn, Iso will auto-play your turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

rls22

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:25:32 pm »

I always wondered exactly what hitting the exit button instead of Resign did.  Good to know that that's why the "autoplay" thing happens (I wonder why Exit does that instead of just ending the game?).  So, Exit is another option if you can't wait to the start of your turn (but, obviously, there will always be emergencies and/or random computer problems that prevent this). 

And no, Captain Frisk, I wasn't referring to you...  :)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 04:44:01 pm »

I always wondered exactly what hitting the exit button instead of Resign did.  Good to know that that's why the "autoplay" thing happens (I wonder why Exit does that instead of just ending the game?). 
Because you may not be playing a two-player game.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 07:05:10 pm »

Well, yeah, with regards to emergencies: I've recently become a parent so when I become unresponsive it could be that the baby has started crying uncontrollably and I can't wait 2 seconds 'cause mommy's asleep.

Sorry 'bout that.  :D

Congratulations on the new addition, Davio!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 11:49:53 am »

So, you're one of those guys who waits a minute after I've played my hand, takes 30 seconds to decide his move, plays it out and then, after I've had all day to know my next turn and play it immediately and return the game to you in less than 5 seconds you wait another minute and rinse and repeat.

Guess what, that's more annoying because over the course of the game it forces me to wait for far more than 3 minutes on you being too busy to actually play the damned game.

Not pointed at you specifically, but damn does that behavior irk me.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 11:51:11 am »
+1

So, you're one of those guys who waits a minute after I've played my hand, takes 30 seconds to decide his move, plays it out and then, after I've had all day to know my next turn and play it immediately and return the game to you in less than 5 seconds you wait another minute and rinse and repeat.

Guess what, that's more annoying because over the course of the game it forces me to wait for far more than 3 minutes on you being too busy to actually play the damned game.

My "favorite" is in attacking games or Bishop or similar requiring 2nd player interaction where the 1 minute delay gets compounded within my turn.

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 01:08:49 pm »

I am partially to blame for that >_< I tend to multitask primarily because I'm in the middle of my turn playing something like Bishop, and I have to wait eons for the other players to realize that they have to do something. When they're done, however, sometimes it takes me a while for me to realize that they're finally done, so now there's even more waiting >____< There's a name for that or something. Double whammy?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 02:49:32 pm »
+1

There's a name for that or something. Double whammy?

ADD

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 07:16:19 pm »
+4

What I do is try to reciprocate my opponent's playing style. What I mean by that is that if he's on top of things and plays/responds immediately, then I too will be laser-focused on the game and try my best not to slow the game down. However, if my opponent is slow to play, because either they're distracted, new to the game/interface, or if they just have a long SP-engine or something, then I feel it's okay to browse other websites, always keeping an eye on the game's tab to see if it's my turn to play/react.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 11:31:11 pm »

You guys know there are sound cues, right?  So you can be in another tab and still be notified that you have to do something, so long as you're not deaf or going deaf by blasting music at full volume.

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 01:00:05 am »
+1

They haven't been workin' for me as of late >__< they've been unreliable lol

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 01:05:16 am »

Yeah I liked the sounds, but I haven't heard them lately. I assumed that it was my computer going wonky, but maybe not?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 02:08:28 am »

Oh, if they disappeared recently then I have no idea.  I haven't played recently. :P

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 05:12:01 am »

I've done it once or twice lately. Got a phone call that I had to take, had no reception near my computer and had to get up and go out. If it's in the middle of your turn, closing the browser is more or less the only option.

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 01:53:27 pm »

Yeah, this has happened to me several times with L20+ players as well. Double-buying Colonies (to bring you to 5), and then coincidentally them not responding for 3 minutes is not much of a coincidence. And funnily enough, I've never had anyone do this when they're winning big. So some people are immature when it comes to their games, but unfortunately they're probably too busy calling others lucksack n00bs to be reading this thread.

BTW julie, well played the other day (you probably don't remember, but it was a tight slog with Witches, IGG, Expand, and Cutpurse I think).

rls22

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 12:26:58 pm »

Nope.  I'm a really fast player.  Too fast for my own good, I'm sure.  I multi-task (usually reading in another tab, using the sound cue to click over) because others are often too slow for me.  I should probably not have said "always" because if it's a game with a fast opponent (and no big action engines), there's not a lot of downtime.  But, it helps me not be annoyed at slower players when I have something else to do.

I think I do remember that game, Jive Junkie... it was a good one!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 05:40:39 pm »
+1

I'm going to borrow this thread to apologize to whoever I was playing on Friday when the electrician finally called; I got so wrapped up in that mess that I forgot I was playing. All I remember was that is was about turn 13 on a Scrying Pool board. Sorry, whoever you are. ._.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.