Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IW/Island/Develop vs. BM+Alchemist  (Read 1577 times)

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
IW/Island/Develop vs. BM+Alchemist
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:51:35 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/13/game-20120913-184023-47ea60c8.html

I went IW/Island/Develop, opponent went... Big Money/Alchemist? Anyway it was fun getting the double bonus with IW/Island and then Developing IWs and the occasional Islands into Duchies and more Develops :)
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Re: IW/Island/Develop vs. BM+Alchemist
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 06:41:11 am »
+1

Nice use of develop ! But 9... it just seems too many.  :o

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:06:46 am »

Great that you had so much fun with Develop. 9 is a lot indeed. I really like the card, espescially in kingdoms like this one.
However, I don't think your strategy would have worked if your opponent had a bit more focus in his game.
Alchemists can be a nice card, but not in a Big Money oriented deck.

This looks like a game straight from the guide "cycling decks". I think it's a very vialble strategy here (if not plain dominating) but it requires that you focus everything you've got on cycling.
My plan would be to get 1 Develop and 1 Ironworks, and then play them as many times as I can.

So I'd open Develop/Potion. On my first round I'd hope to get a Apothecary and an Ironworks, while developping an Estate into a Silver.
After this I'd use Ironworks to gain Caravans for a while. I want a second Apothecary before switching to Alchemists.

Winning any alchemist split would not be important. In the final stage before greening, I'd want to switch to getting Markets/maybe a Gold.
If the deck really starts running -> in stead of devellopping a Copper away, island it away.
Join the Dominion League!

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:16:54 am »

Nice use of develop ! But 9... it just seems too many.  :o

Most of them I just gained towards the end of the game in order to 3-pile. The first one I got I bought on turn 10, and then I bought another on turn 12. Those were the only two I bought.

Great that you had so much fun with Develop. 9 is a lot indeed. I really like the card, espescially in kingdoms like this one.
However, I don't think your strategy would have worked if your opponent had a bit more focus in his game.
Alchemists can be a nice card, but not in a Big Money oriented deck.

This looks like a game straight from the guide "cycling decks". I think it's a very vialble strategy here (if not plain dominating) but it requires that you focus everything you've got on cycling.
My plan would be to get 1 Develop and 1 Ironworks, and then play them as many times as I can.

So I'd open Develop/Potion. On my first round I'd hope to get a Apothecary and an Ironworks, while developping an Estate into a Silver.
After this I'd use Ironworks to gain Caravans for a while. I want a second Apothecary before switching to Alchemists.

Winning any alchemist split would not be important. In the final stage before greening, I'd want to switch to getting Markets/maybe a Gold.
If the deck really starts running -> in stead of devellopping a Copper away, island it away.

See above for my answer on the high # of develops. Yes, clearly my opponent had a sub optimal strategy, and so did mine (albeit less so), not having played games like this that often and being in the level range of 22-24. I'll have to look up that deck cycling article. I'm assuming you'd want to 3-pile on something like Duchies, Islands, and Caravans, or am I off on that assumption? Thanks for the input by the way; Dominion advice from a level 50 is always great and sometimes mind-blowing (see: Herbalist on $11 thread :P)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:59:20 am »
+2

Most of them I just gained towards the end of the game in order to 3-pile. The first one I got I bought on turn 10, and then I bought another on turn 12. Those were the only two I bought.

Yes, I think you did well with the develop, given you path you took.
I would've tried to end it with a lot of duchies as well.

See above for my answer on the high # of develops. Yes, clearly my opponent had a sub optimal strategy, and so did mine (albeit less so), not having played games like this that often and being in the level range of 22-24. I'll have to look up that deck cycling article. I'm assuming you'd want to 3-pile on something like Duchies, Islands, and Caravans, or am I off on that assumption? Thanks for the input by the way; Dominion advice from a level 50 is always great and sometimes mind-blowing (see: Herbalist on $11 thread :P)

Actually, I'd have no clue yet on how to end it. I usually only make a plan for ending the game about half way. Before that, it's just some vague idea of "I want options" versus "I want power" or "I want points" or "I want reliability". A deck that I can draw completely with an Ironworks and a Devlop clearly has options (3 pile?) but also it could buy provinces rather reliable. (ironwork Island, goodbye Province, hello new Province).

I'm not sure the deck cycling article has been written. But it goes like this:

Buying a single copy of a few key cards and playing them as much as you can is usually better then buying several of them.
This holds espescially if some of those cards thin out your deck, and some cycling cards are available (of which Apothecary is a great and Alchemist a good example).
If you go for it, use everything you've got to decrease the 'deck cycle'. Buying money is quite bad.
Join the Dominion League!

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:25:46 pm »

But you always assess the probability of a 3-pile ending before the game starts, right? I guess there's just enough unpredictability in Dominion that it's impossible to predict if/how a 3-pile ending will take place though, because of random card draw and whatever your opponent does.

I volunteer you to write that article, if you have the time! Or perhaps you'd rather I start a new thread on that to get others in on the discussion and write it wiki-style...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 20 queries.