Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Android: Netrunner  (Read 51198 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: Android: Netrunner
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2014, 12:13:48 pm »

I've generally seen people say running two Desperados and maybe also one Doppleganger is usually fine. Even if not, if it's a friendly game, just use a proxy provided your opponent is okay with it.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2014, 03:58:42 pm »

Yeah, it would really be nicer the other way, but 2 core sets, or 3 for two people works pretty well. With the second option, both people get a full set of the two-ofs, and there are 3 of the one-ofs for one person. (and with two people, they might want to build different kinds of decks, like katman vs andy or something)
This isn't a very good example, as Katman (in traditional, most popular version) runs 3x Desperado as well (though I really enjoy my build which uses 2x Doppelganger and a Djinn instead, using saved influence for a Faerie).

3x Desperado is definitely good to have (though I think I more often use the fact that I have access to 3 core sets by playing 3x Corporate Troubleshooter). But unless you want to be top level competitive, 2 core sets is definitely enough. The winning decks of Polish Nationals were built from double core.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2014, 06:25:12 pm »

Yeah, thing is that since I got heavy into MTG, I tend to look at many games from ultra competitive angle (even though I probably wont actually be that competitive, as ATM scene here is nonexistant) and it irks me if I cannot build optimal netdeck. Sure, I'll proxy if needed for friendly games / borrow if absolutely needed, but I would feel so much better if I  wouldn't be constrained with card count.

EDIT: And before somebody goes with "but if you play magic, you are used to overpaying for cards, extra core sets shouldn' be a problem" thing is that with expensive MTG cards I know that they will hold value or even rise, and I don't feel it will with extra ANR cards.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:28:07 pm by Grujah »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2014, 10:04:16 pm »

That's totally circular logic.  You're saying "It's ok that Magic cards cost more because Magic cards cost more".  The reason cards hold value and can appreciate is because they're expensive to acquire in the first place.  If buying up Zendikar fetches had required a 2$ investment instead of a 15$ one, they would have hardly appreciated at all because everyone would have gotten some and there would be lots of supply for the demand.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:54 pm »

No, if Fetches were 2$ there would still be the same amount of them in supply (people would still open the same amount of boosters) and the price today would be the same (40-50). Was worth investing in when they were 10 a pop. If they were printed at Uncommon rarity, that would be a totally different story. (Goyf is an example of a card that was bulk rare when it came out, than was discovered broken and was 30, which was still a bargain compared to today's price).

Thing is as long as playerbase stays the same or increases, prices (I'm talking staples here) will rise or at least stay the same (or suffer minimal,bareable loss), EVEN if cards get reprinted, weirdly. Unless something gets a significant ban or a staple gets a superior version, but WoTC knows better, I hope.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2014, 11:11:27 pm »

No, if Fetches were 2$ there would still be the same amount of them in supply (people would still open the same amount of boosters) and the price today would be the same (40-50). Was worth investing in when they were 10 a pop. If they were printed at Uncommon rarity, that would be a totally different story. (Goyf is an example of a card that was bulk rare when it came out, than was discovered broken and was 30, which was still a bargain compared to today's price).

Thing is as long as playerbase stays the same or increases, prices (I'm talking staples here) will rise or at least stay the same (or suffer minimal,bareable loss), EVEN if cards get reprinted, weirdly. Unless something gets a significant ban or a staple gets a superior version, but WoTC knows better, I hope.
Fetches wouldn't have originally been 2$ unless Zendikar packs costed less, or Zendikar packs were sold in boxes with guaranteed contents..

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2014, 11:22:23 pm »

They would cost less if people didn't realize that they were any good. They would cost the same now in that case.

Or if like, there were no support for it at that time but then it got released later (Alphas/Shocks).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:23:39 pm by Grujah »

hsiale

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2014, 02:45:26 am »

thing is that with expensive MTG cards I know that they will hold value or even rise, and I don't feel it will with extra ANR cards.
Never played Magic, so I have no idea about the market. Do strong Standard cards which don't get reprinted (so they stop being Standard legal) and are not Vintage/other non-rotation format strong hold their value?

Regarding Netrunner, if you want your cards to hold value, buy a whole second and third core set and don't throw away the box or rulebook. Exactly due to the way core set is done, it is a really good board game on its own and would preserve value like any other good board game. If you are not in a hurry and buy a used one in good shape or wait for a sale in an online store, you should be able to sell once you want to get out of the game for more or less the same you bught it for. Secondary market prices for expansions will probably be worse, but you need just one of those.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2014, 08:48:21 am »

thing is that with expensive MTG cards I know that they will hold value or even rise, and I don't feel it will with extra ANR cards.
Never played Magic, so I have no idea about the market. Do strong Standard cards which don't get reprinted (so they stop being Standard legal) and are not Vintage/other non-rotation format strong hold their value?

Of course not, most lose quite a lot of value when they rotate out. But Standard meta shifts way more faster than other formats (with every expansion/toruney there are big changes) so prices go down and up very fast, and you can cash out on Standard-only playable cards during their stay in Standard quite easily.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2014, 01:25:43 pm »

I still don't really get why you think Magic is "cheaper" because you can sell the cards later. 

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2014, 01:42:48 pm »

I do not think it's cheaper (It's hellishly expensive) but I feel like I am getting more for my money worth. With third copy you are basically paying 50$ for a few cards (As you really only need third Desperado and maybe a few other, not all 11) - doesn't really end up much different that caching in for a booster box. And this is something LCG is supposted not be strictly AGAINST. I'd rather invest in singles.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2014, 02:37:44 pm »

I do not think it's cheaper (It's hellishly expensive) but I feel like I am getting more for my money worth. With third copy you are basically paying 50$ for a few cards (As you really only need third Desperado and maybe a few other, not all 11) - doesn't really end up much different that caching in for a booster box. And this is something LCG is supposted not be strictly AGAINST. I'd rather invest in singles.

It's like saying collector stuffed animals won from a crane game spree of 50$ are more valuable than ones bought in 50$ sets with duplicates because you're paying the whole set price for the one ofs.

It's wrong because none of the stuffed animals really have any value, they are made of cotton and plastic beans. 

The crane game Beanie Babies might increase in value because the company decides to create an artificial shortage by producing no more koala bears to meet rising demand, and this way may bolster their reputation as a "true collectible". The box set of toys may or may not employ the same tactic in the future.  But over a long haul I expect one of the brands to have a healthier, stabler, happier fanbase as a result of those payment models.

I would have preferred a 3-of base set, but that small error by no means makes MTG's correctly implemented TCG better than FFG's poorly implemented LCG. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:39:18 pm by popsofctown »

hsiale

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2014, 09:19:07 am »

With third copy you are basically paying 50$ for a few cards
Do you live in Australia or some other place where shipping costs (or very high taxes) drive games' prices sky high? In USA coolstuffinc sells Netrunner core sets for $27. Here in Poland I can buy one for $37.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2014, 07:52:17 am »

@pops - I was to write shit, but I am probably very MTG biased as I put a lot of money in it so I need excuses. :D

@hsiale - yeah, Serbia. Not only anything game related (that needs to be shipped) is much more expensive, also average pay/living standard makes is way lower than USA/rest of Europe, which basically makes it even MORE expensive (relatively speaking).

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2014, 10:20:10 am »

Bought it at Essen last weekend and played it now three times using Jinteki vs. Shaper. It was fun, but we made still some errors, but noticed most of them during the game.

But we had one main question: What happens if the Runner runs out of cards? Is he limited to making runs and has to wait until the corp runs out of cards as well?
Also, just to be sure: The runner can't play Events during a run, right? For example the corp just rezzed a piece of ice and the runner wants to use Tinkering on it, he can't, right?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2014, 10:56:59 am »

You can't play events during runs. So you are correct.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2014, 11:32:06 am »

Jinteki vs Shaper is actually not the best beginner matchup - HB and Shaper is supposed to be the best description of what it's like.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:04 am »

Thanks for your answers.

But I still don't know what happens if the Runner runs out of cards. With Wyldside this could happen really easily.
Also, I have a question about Djinn. Can it host virus programs previously played or only virus programs that I play after it?
Also regarding Wyldside, can I as a runner, just get rid of it whenever I like? I like it in the early game, but later you have to discard all your good cards and I don't want that effect anymore.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2014, 09:09:15 am »
+1

Thanks for your answers.

But I still don't know what happens if the Runner runs out of cards. With Wyldside this could happen really easily.
Also, I have a question about Djinn. Can it host virus programs previously played or only virus programs that I play after it?
Also regarding Wyldside, can I as a runner, just get rid of it whenever I like? I like it in the early game, but later you have to discard all your good cards and I don't want that effect anymore.

The runner is allowed to run out of cards.  They might run out of useful things to do, but it's not an auto-loss like it would be for the Corp.

You can only host card A on card B at the time you install card A.

You cannot just discard Wyldside whenever you like.  Some core only decks run Aesop for exactly this purpose.  You similarly cannot discard programs to free up memory—you have to find some other way to get rid of them.

This is all from memory.

Edit: Thanks Grujah—should have stuck to answering the questions!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:43:42 am by qmech »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2014, 10:09:22 am »
+2

qmech, correction:
When you install a new program, you can trash any number of previously installed programs.

I just picked up a Core Set recently, and I am having a blast, the game is superawesome.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2014, 02:11:30 pm »

Thanks a lot.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2015, 09:55:30 am »

By the way, if anyone is still looking for a good netrunner forum, stimhack.com is really good.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2015, 06:10:47 pm »

The content people post here might be good, but oh my gosh, this might be the worst forum interface I've ever attempted to use.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2015, 11:14:28 am »

Is there a place to play this online? I don't have interested parties in the area, but I own a core set and it seems like it ought to be fun.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2015, 11:34:39 am »
+1

Yes - jinteki.net is the easiest one, though OCTGN is somewhat more competitive - I'll play a game with you there to explain the site any time you want. (although it is pretty easy to understand)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.