Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Android: Netrunner  (Read 51189 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: Android: Netrunner
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 07:03:47 pm »

From what I've seen on BGG, most people recommend Weyland or HB as a first game deck vs. Shaper. Jinteki is kind of recommended only if you have a veteran vs. a newbie, since the Jinteki deck is pretty bad.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 09:17:12 am »

Then he made a run on HQ and I had Chum in that row.  Chum was as painful to work out as I thought it might be.  I had to explain to him that if he jacked out he still took 3 netdamage, but didn't have to deal with the higher strength ice.

I agree that Jinteki is really dumb as the first game deck, but I just want to point out that the above is wrong. If you jack out from chum, it is as if chum just had 'end the run' as its subroutine and you hit it. In the early game it pretty much functions as a 1 cost ETR that only works if you have ice behind it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 03:28:24 pm »

Then he made a run on HQ and I had Chum in that row.  Chum was as painful to work out as I thought it might be.  I had to explain to him that if he jacked out he still took 3 netdamage, but didn't have to deal with the higher strength ice.

I agree that Jinteki is really dumb as the first game deck, but I just want to point out that the above is wrong. If you jack out from chum, it is as if chum just had 'end the run' as its subroutine and you hit it. In the early game it pretty much functions as a 1 cost ETR that only works if you have ice behind it.

I genuinely appreciate the correction.  I over-remembered the second part of the clarifications on Chum in the FAQ and mixed them up with the first part, which is very clear that you are correct.

I don't think this actually ruined our game because correct play was for him to make a successful run, but I will keep this in mind now.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 08:47:05 pm »

Honor and Profit, the second deluxe expansion, has been recently announced on FFG's site - which focuses on Criminal and Jinteki cards (including 3 identities for each)
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 08:48:40 pm »

Honor and Profit, the second deluxe expansion, has been recently announced on FFG's site - which focuses on Criminal and Jinteki cards (including 3 identities for each)

And it's awwwwweeeeeeeessssssssoooooommmmeee

The relatively steady stream of spoilers is what keeps me totally hooked on this game.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 08:54:26 pm »

The relatively steady stream of spoilers is what keeps me totally hooked on this game.
It's hard to get hooked on this game when no one will play it with me

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 08:57:07 pm »

It's hard to get hooked on this game when no one will play it with me

Yeah, that's an issue. If you're in the US though you're likely fairly close to some Netrunner players.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 02:26:43 am »

Yeah, they play at a nearby game store everyone weekend, but I don't have a car, and the buses don't run on Saturday :(

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 06:07:28 am »

Not a huge fan of Criminal, but I pretty much always play Jinteki. :)

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 07:11:25 am »

Yeah, they play at a nearby game store everyone weekend, but I don't have a car, and the buses don't run on Saturday :(
Hitch-hiking? :)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 04:17:33 pm »

Hitch-hiking? :)

As tempting as that gets, they say it's a good way to get mugged and stuff

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 04:51:32 pm »

Where do you live that the buses don't run on Saturday?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 12:38:59 am »

Where do you live that the buses don't run on Saturday?
I know, right? Huntsville, Alabama. 

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 01:38:55 pm »

With all the buzz about this game I thought the easiest way to get my head round it would be to buy a copy.  I've read the rules and the cards, and tried a solo game with the suggested Shaper/Jinteki to test the mechanics.  Right now I agree that recommending Jinteki as an introduction seems insane. 

Part of why this game is so complicated is that it's important to know the exact names for everything, something I only appreciated after looking up what exactly Nisei Mk II was supposed to do.  There's enough going on in Netrunner that I wouldn't like to have to explain the rules to anybody.

FFG make a big fuss about the fact that this is a LCG, not a CCG, and that every set contains the same cards.  What they don't say is that the cards appear in different frequencies, so that although you can use up to three copies of a card in a deck, only a single copy of some cards are provided.  So if you want three of one of those cards you still have to buy excessive quantities of other cards that you don't want or need.  A quick glance at the FFG catalogue suggests that this problem is specific to the core set, but it's still annoying.

I'll see how this goes, and might be tempted to venture onto octgn if it works out, but I don't see myself spending much more on physical cards.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 02:55:38 pm »
+1

Yeah, the Core set being bitty with numbers of cards provided is extremely annoying. I can understand why they've done it - to increase the variety in the starting decks, giving more options to play with using just the core set, as well as ensuring the "base" Core decks work properly and also meaning you don't need to worry much about unique cards since they're all one-offs in the set. But not releasing the cards to make up the numbers for the rest of cards is, while sensible business wise, incredibly frustrating if you want to get competitive - you need to at least buy a second Core set (possibly  a third, but two cores gives you three copies of most cards and the ones you don't are all two copies, so two is usually fine. San San City Grid is probably the most notable card you'd want three copies of for fast advance decks).

I'm probably going to end up involved in a few Netrunner drafts eventually, hopefully that'll make up my numbers a little and give me a few cards from data packs I don't have (which is currently all of them in the Genesis Cycle, so pretty good odds :P). But that's not exactly a cheap way of getting the cards, so eh.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 05:56:46 am »
+1

How do these netrunner drafts work?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 07:07:26 am »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 12:29:18 am »

Thank you for the video.  At what times are you allowed to score an agenda?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 01:57:39 am »

Basically during your turn.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2014, 01:03:20 pm »

I made a custom deck.  I intend to take it to play with the fancy people at the comic store on tuesday

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2014, 01:26:04 pm »

I made a haas bioroid deck and tried to swap out for cards that make Accelerated Beta test powerful.  Including two precognitions.  Theoretically, you can play Precognition one turn, order your deck to be Junk-Ice-Ice-Ice-Junk, then draw Precognition the next turn, then play the 4$ Village to score the beta test straight from hand and cheat out three ices.  It's a little less far fetched since that top card could be either the Village or the Beta test.

That costs seven credits to do so I tried to put lots of money cards in for the other stuff. 

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2014, 01:30:13 pm »

I made a haas bioroid deck and tried to swap out for cards that make Accelerated Beta test powerful.  Including two precognitions.  Theoretically, you can play Precognition one turn, order your deck to be Junk-Ice-Ice-Ice-Junk, then draw Precognition the next turn, then play the 4$ Village to score the beta test straight from hand and cheat out three ices.  It's a little less far fetched since that top card could be either the Village or the Beta test.

That costs seven credits to do so I tried to put lots of money cards in for the other stuff. 

That's quite a nice combo, the first Corp deck I ever played (made by someone else) used that exact card combo to work. One slight issue is that Corps tend to not have much in the way of card searching, so it can be very hard to get all the parts together, especially since there are three bits to it. And even once they are, reasonably often you might Precognition and only see one or two bits of ice.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:22 pm »

Yeah.  Do you think there is something way, way stronger in the base set though? 

Since using the base set requires you to use Priority Requisition anyway, it seemed like a good idea to go ahead and do a cheat big ice deck.  I put two Hunters in, if the beta test hits even one Hunter, that's about as good as three pieces of Ice right there.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 12:29:55 am »

In the base set alone? Probably, but I couldn't tell you what it is. The base set is pretty runner-sided overall I believe.

I just finished making my first deck with my two data packs (Second Thoughts and Opening Moves). That's not a huge amount of extra cards, but it's enough to give a decent number of new options. I ended up making what's probably going to be a crappy Weyland deck, whose rough game plan is 1) Acquire tons of money, 2) Spend it on massive Ice to slow the runner down while you 3) Tag the runner and kill him through various damage effects. I spent a decent amount of time tinkering with things, and I still feel like I need more economy (especially burst economy) to make the idea work, but there's no more sensible way to get that (I could spend extra influence on it, but then I need to drop some other important cards, especially Ice, which I'm already slightly low on). Still it should be interesting.

Next I'll need to look at my runner cards and consider what to do. I'd like to do something with Caissas, but Noise really isn't a good character to do that, and I don't have any other Anarchs.

Also while messing around with by Corp deck I drew some random starting hands (which is actually a surprisingly useful tool for working out if your deck will work in the earlygame). I managed to draw a hand of 4 Agendas one time after a mulligan, and later on managed to draw 5 agendas. My deck has 9 Agendas IIRC out of 49 cards. Yeah.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:35:47 am by Tables »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 02:08:58 am »

I put two Hunters in, if the beta test hits even one Hunter, that's about as good as three pieces of Ice right there.

I'm curious why you think this, especially with an HB deck. Do you have very much that's able to punish the runner when he or she has tags?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.