Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Android: Netrunner  (Read 51223 times)

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
Android: Netrunner
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:59:14 pm »

Has anyone tried this yet, or played the original? 

I bought two core sets of the new game (probably a bit excessive), and so far the rules seem very interesting, and I enjoy most of the artwork and graphic design (choice of fonts, etc.) on the cards, but I've yet to get a chance to play.  It seems different than most LCG/CCGs, in that a lot of the game is in the playing portion, rather than primarily being restricted to the deck design portion.  I thought it might appeal to some people on these forums.

Davio

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Android: Netrunner
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:08:08 am »

It's 2p, right?

I liked Dominion because it allowed me to play with more than 2 (yes, it's possible!).
This is also a reason I didn't like Magic or any other such 2p game (yes, I know about multiplayer Magic).

So it's not for me as I don't have a regular gaming partner to play this with.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

sherwinpr

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 03:32:01 pm »

It's 2p, right?

I liked Dominion because it allowed me to play with more than 2 (yes, it's possible!).
This is also a reason I didn't like Magic or any other such 2p game (yes, I know about multiplayer Magic).

So it's not for me as I don't have a regular gaming partner to play this with.

Yes it's a 2P game (with the playing styles of the two sides being very asymmetrical).

Davio

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:46:37 pm »

With asymmetrical play you always have to be wary of "A few Acres of Snow" problems....
But Twilight Struggle proves it can be done beautifully.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

sherwinpr

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 08:00:04 pm »
+1

Android: Netrunner is even more assymetric than those games (although I don't have direct experience with A Few Acres of Snow).  Rather than just the cards being different, the fundamental rules governing the two sides are different.  In a game like Twilight Struggle the only (but the use of the word only here is ridiculous) difference between the two sides are action resolution order, the cards that benefit them, initial configuration (location of home countries, possession of China card, influence placement, etc.)  Yes, the two sides are radically different, and feel and play differently, and have strengths in different stages of the game, but I mean they both play and resolve cards, space race, manipulate the def con, use ops, etc. in fundamentally the same way.

In Android: Netrunner, not only are the two side's cards different and the wind conditions different, they have complete different actions available to them, and one side brings nearly all its cards into play facedown, as a sort of bluffing mechanic, and can try to mislead the other player into confusing their valuable and decoy facedown cards, while the other side's cards come into play in a more traditional way, and are organized very differently.  In fact, card types for the two sides are typically different also.

That's not to say Android: Netrunner is better than Twilight Struggle; I haven't even played the former yet, I'm just saying that the degree of asymmetry is different, which can be a good thing, a bad thing, or a neutral thing.  I haven't played many board games that are genuinely asymmetrical to this extent; War of the Ring is quite asymmetrical, though the two sides resolve combat in a similar manner.  Certain deduction games probably count though.  And of course, games like "Hide and Go Seek", "Tag", etc. are genuinely asymmetrical.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 06:19:34 pm »

Bit of a necro, but kind of surprised to see no other mentions of this really. It's been the new "hot" boardgame for a while now, like Dominion was a few years back.
I have the base set and have only played around a dozen games, mostly with one person, but I can see why people love it. I never played Magic either, but I love the thinking you have to do with the information you have and the thinking about the stuff you don't know. There are strategies around the deck building but in game there are plenty of tactical decisions.

The wording and vocabulary is pretty off putting to some people and the cyberpunk Android universe won't be a hit with everyone. But I can see it appealing to fellow Dominion players, particularly given the large majority of the games played online are duels. Also there is an online implementation via octgn I believe, but I have been too scared to play yet! (Took a little while before I stepped into Isotropic for the first time, and longer still before I made an account :))

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 06:50:45 pm »

It has been discussed here before, a few times, notably I remember getting called out for playing it in the Random Stuff thread (I don't play it but have been thinking of grabbing a core set for casual games). I think it's a really cool game, the main thing that puts me off is the price - which is more of an issue than Dominion, because it's much harder to just 'play' Netrunner with people for the first time.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 03:18:30 pm »
+1

Yes it certainly is not as instant a "grab" as Dominion, it takes longer to explain and longer to play, and cannot be played with more than one other person. But it compares favourably with other board games in terms of the basic price and what you can do, there are 4 Corps and 3 Runner basic decks straight out of the box so 24 different match ups without even doing any deck building. The base set was a relatively easy buy for me even without others to guarantee play with as there are others who I am sure I can convince to give it a go. However, the expansion packs are something I can't really justify at this point in time.
Perhaps if you are interested in checking out the online implentation on octgn I'd happily try it out with you at some point. (or any others!). The Fantasy Flight four part tutorial video on YouTube is excellent.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 03:50:59 pm »

I am a huge Netrunner fan. It's rivaling Dominion as one of my favorites right now. I haven't played a lot (octgn won't work on my Mac) but I've kept up with the expansions and the current meta/theory trends. I love games that are customizable and that let you build something, so Netrunner (and Dominion) really fit that to a tee.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 02:34:25 am »

I love deck building. That's the main reason why I love Dominion. And that's also why I really like Netrunner. You know, apart from the core gameplay being pretty good as well. The game has some quirks, but most games have. I don't really like the lack of stuff to do on your opponent's turn, the wording on some cards are unclear and the rules aren't well enough written that you can figure rules issues out without consulting the designers or the evergrowing FAQ.

However, the game is good enough that I brought it overseas when I went to GenCon. Unfortunately, I didn't get to play it any during the con.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 10:06:27 am »

However, the game is good enough that I brought it overseas when I went to GenCon. Unfortunately, I didn't get to play it any during the con.
Were you (being non-American) prohibited from playing in US Nationals tournament? If I was at GenCon, I'd definitely want to play it, both for experience of a big field tourney and nice alt art Private Security Force card.

I started playing Netrunner two months ago when Polish translation was published, I guess I will play it more once summer ends.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:39:11 am »

The reason I didn't play was because I did other stuff. I hadn't even considered that I might not be allowed to play due to not being american.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 05:43:55 am »

Started to play this: it's amazing. Anyone else want to play me on octgn sometime?

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 03:22:59 am »

I still have my original Netrunner cards from 1996. Is it compatible? What are the main mechanical differences?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 05:56:50 am »
+1

I still have my original Netrunner cards from 1996. Is it compatible? What are the main mechanical differences?

I never played the original Netrunner, but some of the changes I know about are:
Factions. There are now 4 Corp and 3 Runner factions, and deckbuilding is limited by the amount of out of faction influence points you have and the influence cost of the cards you'd like to import. Plus within each faction are identities, which have abilities that change gameplay pretty significantly.

You can only have 3 copies of any card in your deck. I don't remember whether that's a change or not.

People have said that the ice has more interesting effects and feels less homogenous.

Aside from that I know that bad publicity and traces work differently, and you need many fewer agenda points to win (agendas are consequently worth fewer points). It's much easier to get tags to stick!

Oh, and I should mention that the LCG format changes things a lot. There are no random boosters or chasing rares, and there aren't really any "better" versions of other cards.

I really love it, and there's a way to play online through OCTGN, though it doesn't work on Macs. Hope this helps!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 06:08:54 pm »
+1

Oh and Netrunner cards are totally incompatible with Android: Netrunner. Lots of old Netrunner effects would be broken in the new format (if they weren't in the old), and considering the game's age and the new influence system, it just doesn't make sense for cards to be compatible. Plus it totally messes up the whole LCG format that FFG is endorsing.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 06:09:36 pm »

Also I bought Netrunner recently, it's sitting in a package at my family home waiting for me to go back at Christmas. And I might be getting some data packs for Christmas as well.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »

Ok so I should have been in this thread with my rules questions I guess

On the timing chart, do the little green arrows mean either player can activate abilities, or only the player controlling the turn can activate abilities?  If not, can the runner really do nothing at all during the corporation's turn?

My dad is going to attempt to play today, I'm going to use the recommended beginning decks.  Should I have him play runner or corp?  My sense is I should let him run.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 01:25:04 pm »

Ok so I should have been in this thread with my rules questions I guess

On the timing chart, do the little green arrows mean either player can activate abilities, or only the player controlling the turn can activate abilities?  If not, can the runner really do nothing at all during the corporation's turn?

My dad is going to attempt to play today, I'm going to use the recommended beginning decks.  Should I have him play runner or corp?  My sense is I should let him run.

There's some debate about this actually. In general, runner may be easier to grasp for beginners.

I say it depends on whether he's stressed out by having too much information or too little. The burden of information is on the corp, since they know everything in their hand, and all the facedown cards in and protecting their server. Having all of this information plus keeping in mind everything the runner has installed can be overwhelming for some people. On the other hand, the runner is faced with a lot of unknowns. Is it going to be stressful for him to run when he has absolutely no idea what the facedown pieces of ice do? If he is frustrated by making decisions with too little information, runner may not be for him when he's just starting out.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 01:36:25 pm »

He's the type that tries to get by without reading all the cards.  Things probably won't end well.  I'm gonna have him run.

If the corporation doesn't put a piece of ice in front of both HQ and RD turn 1, does that means the runner can make easy successful runs on HQ and RD on his turn 1, even without any icebreakers installed?

I suppose there is a risk there that you don't actually hit any Agendas, so you feel like you should have spent more time setting up an income or something.  It seems like a good strategy for that criminal guy that gets money for running HQ, though.

I'm a little perturbed that Chum is one of the cards in the recommended first game deck, it seems hard to understand.  After reading the rules FAQ document on how Chum interacts with Femme Fatale I just got even more confused myself.  Would it perhaps be a good idea to swap Chum out for another piece of ice from another faction for our first game? Something crappy and weak simple.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 01:42:20 pm »

He's the type that tries to get by without reading all the cards.  Things probably won't end well.  I'm gonna have him run.

If the corporation doesn't put a piece of ice in front of both HQ and RD turn 1, does that means the runner can make easy successful runs on HQ and RD on his turn 1, even without any icebreakers installed?

I suppose there is a risk there that you don't actually hit any Agendas, so you feel like you should have spent more time setting up an income or something.  It seems like a good strategy for that criminal guy that gets money for running HQ, though.

I'm a little perturbed that Chum is one of the cards in the recommended first game deck, it seems hard to understand.  After reading the rules FAQ document on how Chum interacts with Femme Fatale I just got even more confused myself.  Would it perhaps be a good idea to swap Chum out for another piece of ice from another faction for our first game? Something crappy and weak simple.

Chum and Femme Fatale is a weird one, even I don't remember the exact ruling offhand, but in most cases it'll be fine. For the core set there shouldn't be a problem, the weirdness only arises when a piece of ice has no subroutines. As long as there's a subroutine, you have to actually break it or Chum will fire. Bypassing the ice doesn't count as breaking the subs.

But yeah, in your case having him be runner sounds like the right move!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 01:45:34 pm »

Thought Femme Fatale was shaper, it's criminal though.

Seems like a shaper thing to me though.  "Can I slip through ice with pure feminine charm? I wanna see if I can do that"

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 02:42:18 pm »

I think of it as being more of a seductress, getting you past through underhand means. But really lots of cards could be argued to belong more in other factions, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Runner is generally somewhat easier to play as a beginner, and is also a little more fun (for beginners!), since you get the thrill of breaking into stuff.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 11:20:01 am »

How did it go?

IMO in a game where a more experienced player teaches a new one, the new player should run. Mostly because the other player sees his cards and can help. Additionally, as most new players are too cautious as runners, you will be encouraging him to do fun things (run).

For deck choice: everything depends on what cards you have. Genesis cycle is full of simple cards which can easily go into learning decks. I think the thing to avoid when building a learning deck is paid abilities (because they get in the way of natural rhytm of spending one click after another, making the game way more complicated). And, if the new player is the runner, corp deck should be low on traps/ambushes and aim rather at agenda than flatline win. The runner deck should not rely much on tutoring effects (as the new player won't have an idea what to tutor for). I did a quick try and I came up with those two lists:
http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/byTXfqaNEqYwdZZ7A
http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/ME6WgrywkEHsfCc6f
Those decks are simple, show the basic ideas of ice against icebreakers, but contain a few tricks so there's something to discover.

I
f the corporation doesn't put a piece of ice in front of both HQ and RD turn 1, does that means the runner can make easy successful runs on HQ and RD on his turn 1, even without any icebreakers installed?
Yes, and generally he should - sometimes you will get an agenda, but every time you will learn something about your opponent's deck. Of course you should not spend your entire turn running unguarded HQ, but one run is often a good idea, and it's almost always a good idea to run unguarded R&D.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 02:52:21 pm »

My dad ended up not wanting to play.  I played with my housemate instead.  Most games he likes about an average amount, he's usually pretty easy to please, but the teaching game of netrunner was a terrible experience.

I let him run and played Jinteki.  I have no idea how on God's green earth FFG thinks Jinteki is the best corp for the first beginner game.  I tried to get into the whole trappy sense of it, icing my deck and hand and leaving remotes randomly guarded or unguarded.  He got several unadvanced agendas for free because I didn't really know what I was doing.  Then he made a run on HQ and I had Chum in that row.  Chum was as painful to work out as I thought it might be.  I had to explain to him that if he jacked out he still took 3 netdamage, but didn't have to deal with the higher strength ice.  The card is not a super intuitive first game kind of card.

He got 6 agenda points really fast because I did lots of stupid stuff.  Then I charged up a project junebug twice and he ran it and flatlined.  It was kind of a wtf ending and he already was having trouble understanding things and fumbling through the game so he was pretty unenthused at the end of things.

Just really confused about what FFG imagined first games playing out like with Shaper versus Jinteki. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.