Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Scrying Pool  (Read 1037 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Scrying Pool
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:12:13 pm »

What do you look for to make a viable Scrying Pool engine? Alternatively, if your opponent starts buying Scrying Pools, is there a good way to defend against that engine?

My guesses would be that village-type cards, action cards that produce money, and trashing would all make Scrying Pools more viable. I would guess that cursing attacks are probably the only thing that could stop a Scrying Pool engine, although hand size attacks might be able to delay the engine long enough to make a difference.

But, I'd love to hear from more experienced players on how they think about Scrying Pools strategically.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Scrying Pool
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 02:17:26 am »

A good scrying pool engine depends on a high action density. You can achieve this through good (or even decent) trashing or cheap, spammable actions. It is much more viable if you have actions with provide a good source of +coin, so you dont need to buy treasures to slow you down and +buy so you can get even more cheap actions (including turns where you can get another scrying pool and other stuff). If there are terminal actions you will certainly need a village type card. Particularly good cards that I've found for this type of engine include Festival (+coin/buy/actions), Navigator (maximize scrying pool draw) and apothecary (similar to navigator but get those coppers into hand too). 

The inverse of this is yes, curses, especially in the absence of trashing, will really slow this engine down. It might not kill it, but it will probably prevent you from drawing your hand every turn.

How to defend against it? Well, if it's the dominant strategy? Play it better I guess. If there are non-curse attacks, you can count on the scrying pool engine to be the one to play them much more frequently.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.