Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Which card takes the longest to play?  (Read 2297 times)

HockeyHippo

• Scout
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Which card takes the longest to play?
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:40:10 pm »

I'm a pretty fast player(maybe not to by benefit) but I have a couple of IRL friends that are a bit slower than me. Especially with a couple of cards that make them sit there and think. Forge comes to mind.

Which card, do you find, takes the longest to play?

I haven't played Cornucopia IRL, but I can imagine KC-> Hunting Party must take a nice chunk of time.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Which card takes the longest to play?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:48:55 pm »

On isotropic, it's Secret Chamber as a reaction against say, a minion deck. Alchemist and torturer get honorable mentions. Probably King's court itself is up there, Chancellor IRL, Envoy takes a while, hamlet can be a pain, scrying pool, lot of others too

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:59:45 pm »

Scrying Pool decks are the most annoyingly tedious to play against.

Period.

Forever.

Times infinity.

Queso

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 06:27:43 pm »

When considering Isotropic, at least, I'm not so sure that Scrying Pool is all that slow compared to reactions.  At least with Scrying Pool, the person you're waiting on is the person who plays the card, so they know they have to do something.  With reactions, I'm guessing most of the time is for the opponent to realize that the game is waiting on them.

Nonetheless, I recently had a painfully slow game that had the best of both worlds.  I had a Scrying Pool/Goons-based deck and my opponent eventually decided to buy a Moat.  On turn 16 there were 11 attacks and reactions, and it got tedious for everyone involved.  Granted if it were Secret Chamber, it'd be even worse on the occasions they decided to use the reaction.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:33:36 pm by Queso »

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »

Bah. I build scrying pool decks IRL all the time. I can play them fast. I have to shuffle very turn, but the actual spying and drawing is easy.

Pawns can be slow. Nobles can be slow if your opponent hasn't played with them much. Golem got a little ridiculous one game with curses and no trashing.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 10:33:29 am »

I'm surprised Possession did not get mentioned. That one card means that you are playing a whole new hand. Furthermore, it's from a deck that you personally did not build, so you have several decisions to make (did my opponent supply enough Villages to make this engine work?).

Although, I suppose that technically, playing the card takes no time at all. It's the effect after your hand is done that takes up a lot of time.

Masquerade can be time-consuming. Not only do you have to choose your card (which is probably easy), you have to wait for the other players to choose their cards—especially if you screw over a lean deck—and then choose the card to trash (also likely easy).
A man has no signature

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 11:52:52 am »

In my experience, the action that takes longest to play is Black Market.  Let's see, how much treasure do I have?  Okay, let's look at the cards...which one do I want...oh, wait, maybe I should put them all back and take to two coins...what to do, what to do...

play2draw

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:44:54 pm »

The worst is when people are using Scrying Pool to draw an inane number of Hamlets.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.