Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #16: Treasure Card!  (Read 43149 times)

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #16: Treasure Card!
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2012, 11:20:08 pm »

Just talking about the cards I find interesting. I may or may not find the card I submitted interesting :P

If I Fell
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
Setup: Add an extra kingdom card pile costing at least as $5 to the supply. Cards from that pile may only be bought if [This Card] is in play.

I really like the idea. Its an attempt to bring an parallel currency to the table. Like a small alchemy game. As people have mentioned at $4 it's a no brainer though. Needs to give less coins or cost more.

Wait
$5 - Treasure
Worth $4
When you play this, put your deck in your discard pile.
--
While this is in play, you may not discard Treasure cards other than Copper from play until you have finished drawing.

I think it's an interesting idea. But fundamentally I think forcing a bad reshuffle doesn't sound like much fun.

I Feel Fine
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.
--
When you trash this, each other player gains a Copper.

In the absence of using it as a very mild once off attack, this is a silver gaining silver, I can't see myself buying that often. I think the 'when you trash this' part is the more interesting bit, you should work on that.
Follow the Sun
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you shuffle, you may place any [This Card] cards horizontally at the bottom of your draw pile. During your turn, whenever you would draw a card, except for during your clean-up phase, you may draw a [This Card] instead from its horizontal position.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] has a unique yellow background, similar to Stash's red background. If you do not choose to draw this card at a unique time it will be drawn as a normal card.)

I love the idea! But: I take it you thought about it at $5 and +$2, and then you realised it compared too favourably to Stash. However at $3 and +$1 I don't find myself wanting to buy it. Drawing a copper is never exciting. I suppose when you're drawing dead you can assure that you don't draw actions, but it doesn't seem worth it. I think the idea would be great on a terminal action for the exact reverse reason.

Bulldog
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $3
-
When you discard this from play, if you have at least one unused buy, trash this and gain a Copper on top of your deck.

I really like this one :) I think you should make it $4 (opening with 2 of these seems too tempting), +2 buys and lose the 'gain a copper penalty'.

Hold Your Hand
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may set that card aside.  Return it to your deck at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarifications:  It is recommended to use the Island mat for cards set aside this way.)

Upon reading it, I really want to try this one out :) Seems like quite a nice Island variant.

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
Place a Copper from your hand or the Copper supply on any non-empty supply pile.
--
When a player gains a card other than Copper from a supply pile, he gains all Coppers on that supply pile, as well.
--
(Rules clarification: You may place Coppers on the Copper supply pile. When a Copper is placed on a supply pile other than the Copper pile, place it horizontally so that the card names and costs below show.)

I love the idea of an embargo variant. And it's a copper trasher. Seems fun. But is it quick enough to be worth it? You'd need to get it onto important engine pieces pretty quickly for it to work. Good idea :D

Julia
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you play this you may buy a Treasure card. If you do: put it in play and +1 Buy.

Hmmm. The more I think about this one the more I like it. So if you get a copper, its just like the top part of IGG, +$1 and gain a copper. So that's silver with a penalty. If you get a silver, you've gotten the cost back of the silver, so it was basically a silver gainer using the buy phase. If you get a gold you can also get something with the change, good if you have $11 for gold + province.

Oooh, but what about FG. If you've played 2xFG play this, get an FG put it in play and then you can afford a province! Nice. You can also use it to turn $4-->P in a potions game. That gives you flexibility although it's probably a bit steep. If you have can afford a Bank you can put it in play and immediately get +$5 or so? HoP is interesting too, with enough card variety you could use it to turn $5 into--->HoP--->Province.

I think this is a nice flexible little card, worth it if other alt-treasure are out. But most of the time it is just silver with a penalty I suppose. Maybe it should be cheaper.

Honey Don't
$3 - Treasure
Worth $2
When you play this, trash a Treasure you have in play, then gain a Treasure costing at most 3 less than the trashed Treasure and play it immediately.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] may trash itself, and must if no other Treasures are in play.)

Hmmm, play this get $5 out of you gold. Seems interesting but maybe a bit too similar to counterfeit?

Strawberry Fields
$3 - Treasure
Set aside a Victory card from your hand. This card is worth half the cost of that card (rounded up) in $, otherwise this is worth $0.
--
During your buy phase, you may buy any set aside Victory card at half its cost (rounded up) in $, you do not need to play this card to buy it.
--
When the game ends, any Victory cards that are still set aside by this card are not returned to your deck.
--
(Rules clarification: Getting back the Victory card works like buying it from supply, it uses a buy and you put it into the discard pile. You can just buy any Victory card you choose, provided that you can afford it and have enough buys. You can use multiple buys to gain as many Victory cards. You can put Vineyard aside, but it'll give you $0, and you can buy it back at $0.)

This compares a little too poorly to salvager.

Penny Lane
$3 - Treasure
+$3
--
While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Curse.

Everyone hates on blood money variants but i think this might be a goer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:49:43 pm by Loschmidt »

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2012, 11:39:35 pm »

I'm not going to do them all, just my favorites/cool ideas/random. Of course, one of these cards are mine.

Ask My Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
Reveal the top card of your deck. You may discard it. If the discarded card is a Treasure, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.
Cool how stackable they are. Also has a filter if you don't want to discard a good card on top. I like it. Really want to try it out.

Tell Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, you may put a card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, this is worth $2.
I really like the idea of the card, though it probably needs to cost 3. There are many times I would want it over Silver. I'll probably give it a vote, as long as the creator changes its cost to 3. Cool card.

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5
I'm surprised at how many people dislike this card. I kinda like it. I don't think it should have submitted in this contest though. It kinda needs its own set that revolves around cards with effects that are in between 2 costs. But we do already have Alchemy for that. :P

I Feel Fine
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
--
If this card wins, I'll slap the owner across the face. This card is much, much, much better than Explorer.

Can't Buy Me Love
$4 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, +2 Cards.
EDIT: I understand what this card is trying to accomplish now. It's a Laboratory that only allows you to use Treasures. Pretty cool.

Girl
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
While this is in play, Victory cards cost $2 less.
I absolutely adore the bottom part, but the +Buy makes this really good. Plus we already have 2 cost reduction cards in the set. Though it could be a theme if we include Canal.

Hold Your Hand
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may set that card aside.  Return it to your deck at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarifications:  It is recommended to use the Island mat for cards set aside this way.)
And here we have my favorite card of the set. I love Islanding cards so this is a dream come true. I do think the argument of Island vs HYH is valid, but they both work differently. Really hope this card wins, getting my vote for sure.

Jude
$6 - Treasure
Worth $2
You may discard a non-Victory card from your hand. If you do, gain a copy of it.
Nice idea. But this really needs to be an Action.

Martha
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
Return to your Action phase.
+1 Action
I apologize to the author, but I really hope this doesn't win. It's a Pandora's Box I really don't want to open.

Mean Mr. Mustard
$5 - Treasure
-$3
Trash this card, gain any two treasures from the supply.
--
(Rules clarification:  Yes, that's a negative coin value there.)
Good guy, crazy card. Two Platinums is too good, sorry.

Eleanor Rigby
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
When you gain this, set it aside; play it during the buy phase of your future turns.
I really like this one. Maybe because it's an improved version of an old card I made called 'Sawmill'. It's pretty much a buy when you need it. I think the wording is supposed to be, "play it during the buy phase of any of your future turns". Getting my vote.

Yesterday
$5 - Treasure
If you've played three or more actions this turn, this is worth $3, otherwise it's worth $1.
Huh. As an engine player, I really like this. Getting my vote as well.

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
Place a Copper from your hand or the Copper supply on any non-empty supply pile.
--
When a player gains a card other than Copper from a supply pile, he gains all Coppers on that supply pile, as well.
--
(Rules clarification: You may place Coppers on the Copper supply pile. When a Copper is placed on a supply pile other than the Copper pile, place it horizontally so that the card names and costs below show.)
A softer Embargo. Cute. People really are pushing that Copper theme. :P

Drive My Car
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
While this is in play, when you buy a card, either gain it, or every other player gains a copy, your choice.
EDIT: Talked to the creator, all cleared up!
The idea of buying cards to give to your opponents is an interesting. I tried it in the dual type contest where the card reacted to using extra buys on Curses and then giving them out. It was a balanced idea, but it makes games boring.

This card does that, but instead of a Reaction its an inplay effect. This makes the pretty much " Worth 1$. Each other player gains a Curse" Sometimes even bettter if you can get more +Buys.

I'd suggest either axing the +Buy, so that you can really only use in combonation with other card, or making the bottom part a Reaction, so you need two for it to work.

Its a neat idea, just there is some tough competition here!

Julia
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you play this you may buy a Treasure card. If you do: put it in play and +1 Buy.
This card is pretty nifty! I don't think I've ever seen a card quite like it on the forums, and I have to say that it's a cool idea! I don't know if it's balanced or not, it seems that way, but one can't be too sure. Definitely getting my vote.

Penny Lane
$3 - Treasure
+$3
--
I liked this a lot more if it costed 5. At 3 it's too good.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:46:51 pm by Archetype »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2012, 01:53:25 am »
+1

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5
I'm surprised at how many people dislike this card. I kinda like it. I don't think it should have submitted in this contest though. It kinda needs its own set that revolves around cards with effects that are in between 2 costs. But we do already have Alchemy for that. :P

The first Fool's Gold is worth $1, but every Fool's Gold after that is worth $4.

The first Nowhere Man is worth $1, the second is only worth $2... and the third is back at $1.

Drive My Car
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
While this is in play, when you buy a card, either gain it, or every other player gains a copy, your choice.
I was stunned when I read this in the original ballot. This is my card in the dual type contest! It seems that the plagiarist made the reaction part an in-play effect! My card was fine before, because you needed two of them for it to work, but this card is stronger than Sea Hag, the (arguably) best 4$ card in the game! I do not recommend voting for this one. Interested to see the 'creator' of this card.

I think this kind of idea can occur to many people independently, just like Tax tokens and Blood Money.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2012, 02:03:55 am »

@Drive My Car: I do have the tendancy to jump to conclusions. But the cards are still very similiar.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2012, 02:06:58 am »

@Drive My Car: I do have the tendancy to jump to conclusions. But the cards are still very similiar.

I know how you feel, anyway.  There was a submission in another contest that I thought was quite similar to a concept I had posted months ago.  But I don't think the author was even around then to see that post.  Still irked me a little!

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2012, 05:03:59 am »

Love the names this round.  8)

If I Fell
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
Setup: Add an extra kingdom card pile costing at least as $5 to the supply. Cards from that pile may only be bought if [This Card] is in play.

I really like the concept at work here. It's a neat spin on the idea introduced by Young Witch. I feel the approach is a bit limiting, though. Rather than restrict access to that kingdom pile, perhaps just reducing its cost could be effective. I'm not sure that would even be worthwhile, though. The problem is that in most cases, it would have been better to just add that extra kingdom pile and exclude If I Fell altogether. I still think the concept can be workable, just not in this exact format.

Ask My Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
Reveal the top card of your deck. You may discard it. If the discarded card is a Treasure, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

Seems like a decent enough way to flood Silver. I wonder how good this is compared to just buying Silver?

Tell Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, you may put a card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, this is worth $2.

This has some fun variability to it and has that interesting feature of being flat-out better than Silver at times, the same way Courtyard trumps Smithy much of the time. The difference between $2 and $3 seems almost inconsequential at times, but I think its a nice design, simple, and interesting overall.

Michelle
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you gain this, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.
--
You cannot buy this if you have a Silver in play.

I just don't think the restriction matters much. Its an okay buy when you can get it and no big deal when you can't, which makes the "drawback" take up space it doesn't need to. You could remove the bottom half and the card wouldn't even seem that good since it junks up your deck while gaining those Silvers.

Cry Baby Cry
$2 - Treasure
Worth $0
If you gain this during your turn, trash it. +2 Buys and gain three Coppers, putting them into play.
--
You may only buy one copy of this card per turn.

Very different than your standard Dominion card conceptually, but its method of self-trashing and restricted buying seem like stretches made to get a problematic concept to work. I feel the idea could have looked for a better, cleaner solution and come out as a better product rather than a jumble of parts the way it feels now.

Wait
$5 - Treasure
Worth $4
--
While this is in play, you may not discard Treasure cards other than Copper from play until you have finished drawing.

There's an interesting idea in here. I think going with the standard "$5 cost for $3 production with drawback" suits the overall idea better than the one coin bump. This gave me an idea for a spin-off of the concept: "Worth $3; While this is in play, when you discard Copper from play, put them on top of your deck." Could work as a drawback in a similar vein to what this was trying to accomplish.

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5

Fun with fractions! (Or decimals... no love for alliteration?) As was pointed out, this is inferior to Fool's Gold in every way, save elegance. I'm a huge fan of elegance, but it just can't work as the saving grace here. That said, a $4 that produces $2.5 starts to raise eyebrows.

Something
$4 - Treasure
Reveal your hand. This is worth $1 per Victory card in your hand.
--
While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may gain an [This Card].

I like the theme working in this card. The whole idea drips with cohesion in a very pleasant way. The power level probably has some comparisons to the way Crossroads works, but with the extra gain ability and the function as a treasure instead of an action, which makes me think $4 is a good cost. I like the card, but wonder how the top half would play out on its own.

Good Night
$2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, you may trash it. If you do, it is worth $2. Otherwise, it is worth $1.
--
During your Buy phase, if this is in the trash, it costs $1 and you may buy it.

This card gets too cute with its own interactions. They just don't seem to have a definite end goal. The card hops back and forth refusing to net you much of anything, and all that extra text becomes a waste when you realize this is a sometimes-Silver, sometimes-Copper merry-go-round.

Eight Days a Week
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal your hand. +$1 per revealed card that is not a Treasure.

I wish this didn't have the "Worth $1" part to it. This is the type of card I think becomes more enjoyable if its power level swings a bit more. I like the card a lot overall, and the encouragement to hold on to action cards (or even overload on terminals) is a nice feature, a bit reminiscent of Secret Chamber and Vault, but, you know, in treasure form.

I Feel Fine
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

I feel like you can cut the middle man out and just make this worth $2 instead of flooding your deck with Silver. I do get the theme of you gain/they gain, but Ill-Gotten Gains did it more interestingly. It's sort of neat how it effects your deck while still being able to be trashed for a pseudo-attack, but I don't think it was worth it to roll that way.

Lose That Girl
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
At the start of Clean-up, if you have this and no more than two other Treasure cards in play, you may put this on top of your deck.

The effort here seems so much less than with Stash (sans Chancellor shenanigans), and that just makes it way less interesting.

Follow the Sun
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you shuffle, you may place any [This Card] cards horizontally at the bottom of your draw pile. During your turn, whenever you would draw a card, except for during your clean-up phase, you may draw a [This Card] instead from its horizontal position.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] has a unique yellow background, similar to Stash's red background. If you do not choose to draw this card at a unique time it will be drawn as a normal card.)

That's a lot of hoopla for a $3 Copper.

Can't Buy Me Love
$4 - Treasure
Worth $0

Bold to be so in-your-face about your treasure not looking like a treasure at all. I actually think it makes for a great thought exercise and is something I'd like to play with just to feel how the game would be with it. I think it really doesn't deserve a place in this set, though.

Girl
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

I've thought a lot about cost reduction strictly for Victory cards, and until I see a good example of a way to make it work well, I think its a trap of an idea. $6 cards are already supposed to help take the game toward its end, but this has no benefits outside of that, making it uninteresting save in those fierce moments of mad-greening. I just don't find the scenarios where this card is playable to be that interesting to the game-play.

Bulldog
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $3
-
When you discard this from play, if you have at least one unused buy, trash this and gain a Copper on top of your deck.

I'm a fan of utilizing extra buys in this manner, but I don't think this card works the drawback particularly well. That extra buy is gonna get used, and you'll end up with a Cache that didn't cost you nearly enough. As a side-thought, I'd be interested in the idea of upping this card's cost and replacing the trash mechanism with a "must use all buys if able" clause.

Let It Be
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
If you have one of these cards in play, gain a Silver during your buy phase; or if you have two or more of these cards in play gain a Gold during your buy phase.

The silver gain makes it tough to triple these up into a gold. That's an unfortunate feature to have. These types of designs can easily be compared to Fool's Gold. It's difficult enough to line up three of those, and that nets you $9!

Hold Your Hand
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
--

The Islands mechanic is one that should be used sparingly, but I think this implementation is rather simple and straight-forward and well placed. Part of me wishes it were a Reaction instead so it could work against junking attacks, but that's a tangent if anything at all. Nice card!

Day Tripper
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, discard your hand. If you discarded any cards this way, +$2.

I really wanted this to be "$2 + $1" instead, but after some thought, that variance is probably necessary. The Gold part turns on A LOT, but I imagine it'll do so discarding a Copper from time to time, which should help to temper it. I'm curious to know how it would play at "$0 + $3" instead of "$1 + $2".

Jude
$6 - Treasure
Worth $2
You may discard a non-Victory card from your hand. If you do, gain a copy of it.

Nifty restriction to make that gain work. The power level on something like this doesn't concern me at all; the concept is cool enough to be examined on its own. The implications of putting this on a treasure instead of an action don't really seem like much, and the more I look at this, the more I feel it would rather be an action card. I think the concept is acceptable enough on a treasure that  this is still getting a vote.

Love Me Do
$3 - Treasure
When you play this, it is worth $1 for each token on your [This Card] mat.
If your [This Card] mat has no tokens on it, put 4 tokens on it. Otherwise, remove a token.

I wish using time in such an upfront way didn't require so many words. That aside, cycling through 4 seems a bit much. This card already has a ton of variance without having that stage to get through. I think eliminating 4 and 0 as possibilities helps to temper its already wild nature. I could be wrong on this one. I think it lives better without the awfulness of playing it for $0 and the insanity of racking up $4 early on, but that might what some find fun in the card. I just think that same fun can be found with a lower range.

Martha
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
+1 Action

I'm not sure what to make of this. I like that interesting approach to helping with terminals. I dislike how much it steps on the shoes of other villages. Engines are more interesting because of their need to setup. This safety-net function is amusing and possibly even a good idea, but as I look at it, it's just less interesting than the standard village dynamic. Nice outside the box thinking, though, and is easily a catalyst for other potentially good ideas.

Mean Mr. Mustard
$5 - Treasure
-$3
--

The sacrifice isn't enough.

Norwegian Wood
$2 - Treasure
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
Worth $2 per card returned to the top of your deck this turn so far.

Cards that make people build strategies around things they don't want to do just tend to upset them, unless those things feel natural (like loading up for Coppersmith). It's one of the reasons players take so long to find the worth of Chapel. I don't see your card having that same discovered appeal.

Come Together
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$1.
--
When you trash this, gain two cards whose total cost in coins equals up to $6.

I sorta like this card. I'd much rather it be an action card. The two cards gained is interesting in how it can be sort of a drawback for gaining Gold, forcing a Copper to tag along. I was brainstorming an idea like that based on $8, but this is much more balanced. It's interesting.

Sergeant Pepper
$4 - Treasure
Trash a Treasure card from your hand. If you do, gain a [This Card] token.
Worth $1 for every [This Card] token you have.

I hate this having no cap.

Eleanor Rigby
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
When you gain this, set it aside; play it during the buy phase of your future turns.

I'm gonna assume that this gets set aside and can only be played from there once. If that's the case, it's an interesting mechanic, prompting players to think about when to play it in much the same fashion as Native Village. I think it misses out on some of the potential tension that would make it more interesting. Also, the effect when you use it feels too minimal for this exotic of a mechanic.

Ticket To Ride
$3 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, trash a card in play that you own. +$ equal to half the cost in coins of the trashed card, rounded down.
--
(Rules clarification: If you trash a Duration card that you played this turn, you still get the next turn effect.)

This trasher fluctuates quite a bit. Late game it just eats away at your cards without a care in the world. Early game, it awkwardly moves through your deck like a bad Loan. Those situations seem too standard to be that opposite from one another. I wish it were closer to the middle of playability rather than existing on both far ends.

Yesterday
$5 - Treasure
If you've played three or more actions this turn, this is worth $3, otherwise it's worth $1.

This just has a hard time fitting into decks. The Conspirator trigger is a workable idea, but this doesn't feel like the right variable to work with (and the "off" version could probably be a Silver without fuss). Maybe a Silver that returns to the top of your deck if you've played 3 or more actions?

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

There are better ways to implement this idea. And this really wants to be an Action card. It deserves that sort of attention!

It's Only Love
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
Choose a Treasure card. Gain it. If it's a Silver or Copper, place it in hand.

I'd add a cost limit. Gaining Platinum like this feels bad for the card's balance. Other than that, I think this is a nifty way to go about making a Workshop for Treasures only. There are some other balance issues that might crop up, but the general idea has me hooked.

She Loves You
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
Trash this. If you do, play a Treasure card from the supply other than [This Card]. Trash it.

If this card had a parameter for what cost of treasure it could gain, the idea would resonate a lot more.

All My Loving
$7 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $4
--
While this is in play, you may not buy Victory cards.
--
When this is in the Supply, the game ends after four piles are emptied, not three.

Feels very ticky-tacky, like the card doesn't know what it wants to be.

Please Please Me
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, it's worth an additional $1 per Estate missing from its Supply pile.

I like the idea behind this, but it has some unwelcome flaws. It gets too big; I'd look for a better object to use as a modifier. Also, adding Estates to your deck just so everyone can gain the benefit is harsh. Compare it to Trade Route and Baron: they both give you ways of dealing with the excess green, and can function well enough without necessarily flooding your deck.

Help
$4 - Treasure
When you play this, you may place a Treasure from your hand on your [This Card] mat. If you do, this is worth $3; otherwise, return all Copper from your [This Card] mat to the top of your deck, and this is worth $0.
(Return any cards on your [This Card] mat to your deck at the end of the game.)

Initially, this mechanic seemed to have promise. It still might, but not in this capacity; it does all that work and only functions as a Moneylender most of the time.

Drive My Car
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

The good intentions of this card get wasted on its ability to just go into curse mode. But I like the idea of a gifter treasure. Perhaps making it a drawback of the card would be more workable. Something like:

$5 - Treasure
Worth $3
-----
While this is in play, whenever you buy a card, each other player may gain a card of his choice costing exactly $1 less than that card.

Cry Instead
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
Choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Buy; or +$1.

It's just way more compelling on an action card.

Hard Day's Night
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice.

The Spy mechanic is tedious. I only want to see it where the strategic depth makes the card its on much more tactical.

Julia
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

This card throws a lot of twists into the buy phase, and a lot of them add strategic value. It's a fascinating mental exercise, especially in games with alt-Treasures. It's bizarre but nice.

Lucy
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal your hand.  +$1 per Victory card revealed.

Simple and clean. Though what's with all the unnecessary "when you play" clauses going on this round?

Honey Don't
$3 - Treasure
Worth $2
When you play this, trash a Treasure you have in play, then gain a Treasure costing at most 3 less than the trashed Treasure and play it immediately.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] may trash itself, and must if no other Treasures are in play.)

Downgrades for short boosts are awkward. This trashes already played Copper which simultaneously alleviates some of that awkwardness and adds all new types of awkward. This card doesn't feel smooth at all.

Paperback Writer
$6 - Treasure
When you play this, you may immediately play an Action card from your hand.  This cannot cause you to play more than one Action card.
--
If you played an Action card with this, this is worth $1; otherwise, it is worth $2.
--
(Rules clarifications:  [This Card] allows you to play exactly one Action card in your Buy phase for each [This Card] played.  You receive no benefit from +Actions on the card played.  Throne Room, King's Court, Golem, and Procession all normally cause you to play another Action card; you receive no benefit from these cards because you may not play another Action card.)

I'm all for outlandish approaches, but I don't like what this is trying to accomplish.

Yellow Submarine
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, reveal up to 3 cards from the top of your deck, one at a time.  This is worth $1 for each Copper and Curse revealed.  The player to your left may choose one revealed card for you to discard.  Put the rest back on top in any order.
--
(Rules clarification: You reveal each card before deciding if you want to reveal another.)

There's a lot going on, and while the design actually does a good job of tying it all together, it causes more grief than its worth. Compare it to Envoy; that card gets you through a lot of stuff, and though it hurts to see a useful card go, it moves things along and benefits the crafty deck-builder. This card loses you a good card in a sea of crap too often to leave a smile on your face. It just doesn't seem fun to play with.

Strawberry Fields
$3 - Treasure
Set aside a Victory card from your hand. This card is worth half the cost of that card (rounded up) in $, otherwise this is worth $0.
--
During your buy phase, you may buy any set aside Victory card at half its cost (rounded up) in $, you do not need to play this card to buy it.
--
When the game ends, any Victory cards that are still set aside by this card are not returned to your deck.
--
(Rules clarification: Getting back the Victory card works like buying it from supply, it uses a buy and you put it into the discard pile. You can just buy any Victory card you choose, provided that you can afford it and have enough buys. You can use multiple buys to gain as many Victory cards. You can put Vineyard aside, but it'll give you $0, and you can buy it back at $0.)

All those moving parts, all for a carousel effect. Or a slow Estate trasher, I suppose, but still, that's a ton of text for what this does at the heart of it all.

Penny Lane
$3 - Treasure
+$3
--

I think its fair, but I'm past the idea of this being interesting until I see a novel approach to it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:20:49 am by Rush_Clasic »

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2012, 12:17:41 pm »

Changed my thoughts on Drive my car. Talked to the owner, and am no longer mad at him.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:25:04 pm by Archetype »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2012, 04:01:09 pm »
+3

Changed my thoughts om Drive my car. Talked to the owner, and am no longer mad at him.

So you're OK with him driving your car?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2012, 03:45:59 pm »

Changed my thoughts om Drive my car. Talked to the owner, and am no longer mad at him.

I'll admit. I laughed.

Also changed my thoughts on 'Can't buy me Love'. I understand how it works now. It's a Laboratory that only allows you to use Treasures. Pretty cool.

I really hope HYH wins! I love the idea, but it might be too strong.

If it wins my suggestion would be to bump it's price up to 5 so we can have that alt Gold, Silver, and Copper that I know eHalcyon and many other want. And they all cost 5!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:49:31 pm by Archetype »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2012, 05:53:37 pm »

I'll admit. I laughed.

Also changed my thoughts on 'Can't buy me Love'. I understand how it works now. It's a Laboratory that only allows you to use Treasures. Pretty cool.

I really hope HYH wins! I love the idea, but it might be too strong.

If it wins my suggestion would be to bump it's price up to 5 so we can have that alt Gold, Silver, and Copper that I know eHalcyon and many other want. And they all cost 5!

Wouldn't bump price until after testing.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2012, 11:24:03 am »
+1

Lucy
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

Simple and clean. Though what's with all the unnecessary "when you play" clauses going on this round?

The official Treasure cards with non-vanilla on-play effects are all worded that way.  Why, I don't know.  But the wording you are seeing is about being consistent with the official cards.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2012, 11:35:54 am »
+2

The official Treasure cards with non-vanilla on-play effects are all worded that way.  Why, I don't know.  But the wording you are seeing is about being consistent with the official cards.

You know I have nothing but respect for you rinkworks :)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2012, 12:24:44 pm »
+1

The other challenge this week was another loose one.  The criteria:

Create a card of type "Treasure."  It may have no other types.

Let's jump straight into the results.  The winner, by a clear margin, was:

#1 - Island Astrolabe by popsofctown with 25 points (Hold Your Hand)
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
--

Congratulations to popsofctown, whose on-buy Island trades off Island's 2 VP and its ability to get itself out of your deck for reusability.  It also won't clear your starting Estates, so this is probably a bad opener.  But once you start greening, the set-aside benefit could really pay off.

The next finisher was a good step down, but despite that quite a number of cards accounted well for themselves:

#2 - Emerald (1) by Robz888 with 16 points (Something)
$4 - Treasure
--
While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may gain an Emerald.

#3 - Strong Box by jamespotter with 14 points (Tell Me Why)
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1

#4 (tie) - Copper Press by Polk5440 with 13 points (Walrus)
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

#4 (tie) - Lease by Davio with 13 points (Lucy)
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

#6 (tie) - Unnamed Treasure #023 by Loschmidt with 12 points (Julia)
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

#6 (tie) - Foreign Currency by Watno with 12 points (If I Fell)
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
Setup: Add an extra kingdom card pile costing at least as $5 to the supply. Cards from that pile may only be bought if Foreign Currency is in play.

#8 (tie) - Coal Mine by RichardNixon with 11 points (Yesterday)
$5 - Treasure

#8 (tie) - Lucky Penny by angrybirds with 11 points (Follow the Sun)
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you shuffle, you may place any Lucky Penny cards horizontally at the bottom of your draw pile. During your turn, whenever you would draw a card, except for during your clean-up phase, you may draw a Lucky Penny instead from its horizontal position.
--
(Rules clarification: Lucky Penny has a unique yellow background, similar to Stash's red background. If you do not choose to draw this card at a unique time it will be drawn as a normal card.)

#10 (tie) - Mortgage by PenPen with 10 points (Strawberry Fields)
$3 - Treasure
--
--
--

#10 (tie) - Crown by One Armed Man with 10 points (Jude)
$6 - Treasure
Worth $2

#10 (tie) - Emerald (2) by Bella Cullen with 10 points (Girl)
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

#13 (tie) - Letter of Credit by Mecherath with 8 points (Cry Instead)
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
Choose one: $1 Card; or +1 Buy; or +$1.

#13 (tie) - Pinata by Saucery with 8 points (Come Together)
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$1.
--
When you trash this, gain two cards whose total cost in coins equals up to $6.

#15 (tie) - Bribe by Fuu with 7 points (Martha)
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
+1 Action

#15 (tie) - Hourglass by Tejayes with 7 points (Love Me Do)
$3 - Treasure
When you play this, it is worth $1 for each token on your Hourglass mat.
If your Hourglass mat has no tokens on it, put 4 tokens on it. Otherwise, remove a token.

#15 (tie) - Investment (2) by RobertJ with 7 points (Eleanor Rigby)
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

#18 (tie) - Jewels Redux by Titandrake with 6 points (Ticket To Ride)
$3 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, trash a card in play that you own. +$ equal to half the cost in coins of the trashed card, rounded down.
--
(Rules clarification: If you trash a Duration card that you played this turn, you still get the next turn effect.)

#18 (tie) - Blood Money by Tables with 6 points (Penny Lane)
$3 - Treasure
+$3
--

#18 (tie) - Jewelry Box by JFugue with 6 points (Michelle)
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you gain this, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.
--
You cannot buy this if you have a Silver in play.

#18 (tie) - Ornament by tyr10n with 6 points (Eight Days a Week)
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal your hand. +$1 per revealed card that is not a Treasure.

#22 (tie) - Magnet by NoMoreFun with 5 points (Wait)
$5 - Treasure
Worth $4
--

#22 (tie) - Another Man's Trash by Schneau with 5 points (Good Night)
$2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, you may trash it. If you do, it is worth $2. Otherwise, it is worth $1.
--
During your Buy phase, if this is in the trash, it costs $1 and you may buy it.

#22 (tie) - Capital by theory with 5 points (All My Loving)
$7 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $4
--
While this is in play, you may not buy Victory cards.
--
When this is in the Supply, the game ends after four piles are emptied, not three.

#25 (tie) - Luchre by Adrienaline with 4 points (Norwegian Wood)
$2 - Treasure
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
Worth $2 per card returned to the top of your deck this turn so far.

#25 (tie) - Nugget by Sakako with 4 points (Day Tripper)
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, discard your hand. If you discarded any cards this way, +$2.

#27 (tie) - Token by yuma with 3 points (Lose That Girl)
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
At the start of Clean-up, if you have this and no more than two other Treasure cards in play, you may put this on top of your deck.

#27 (tie) - Investment (3) by ignorentmen with 3 points (Let It Be)
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
If you have one of these cards in play, gain a Silver during your buy phase; or if you have two or more of these cards in play gain a Gold during your buy phase.

#27 (tie) - Purse by PurplePotato with 3 points (Cry Baby Cry)
$2 - Treasure
Worth $0
If you gain this during your turn, trash it. +2 Buys and gain three Coppers, putting them into play.
--
You may only buy one copy of this card per turn.

#27 (tie) - Treasure Chest by Archetype with 3 points (Ask Me Why)
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1

#31 (tie) - Beneficiary by Graystripe77 with 2 points (She Loves You)
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
Trash this. If you do, play a Treasure card from the supply other than Beneficiary. Trash it.

#31 (tie) - Card by ednever with 2 points (It's Only Love)
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
Choose a Treasure card. Gain it. If it's a Silver or Copper, place it in hand.

#31 (tie) - Fountain of Fortune by Eistee with 2 points (I Feel Fine)
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

#31 (tie) - Jiaozi by Guy Srinivasan with 2 points (Honey Don't)
$3 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
(Rules clarification: Jiaozi may trash itself, and must if no other Treasures are in play.)

#31 (tie) - Glitter by ashersky with 2 points (Drive My Car)
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

#31 (tie) - Gold-Plated Cats by Drab Emordnilap with 2 points (Can't Buy Me Love)
$4 - Treasure
Worth $0

#37 (tie) - Monkey's Paw by eHalcyon with 1 point (Yellow Submarine)
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, reveal up to 3 cards from the top of your deck, one at a time.  This is worth $1 for each Copper and Curse revealed.  The player to your left may choose one revealed card for you to discard.  Put the rest back on top in any order.
--
(Rules clarification: You reveal each card before deciding if you want to reveal another.)

#37 (tie) - Donations by Rush Clasic with 1 point (Please Please Me)
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, it's worth an additional $1 per Estate missing from its Supply pile.

#37 (tie) - Broker by Kirian with 1 point (Paperback Writer)
$6 - Treasure
When you play this, you may immediately play an Action card from your hand.  This cannot cause you to play more than one Action card.
--
If you played an Action card with this, this is worth $1; otherwise, it is worth $2.
--
(Rules clarifications:  Broker allows you to play exactly one Action card in your Buy phase for each Broker played.  You receive no benefit from +Actions on the card played.  Throne Room, King's Court, Golem, and Procession all normally cause you to play another Action card; you receive no benefit from these cards because you may not play another Action card.)

#37 (tie) - Amalgam by nopawnsintended with 1 point (Nowhere Man)
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5

#37 (tie) - Vigorish by mith with 1 point (Help)
$4 - Treasure
When you play this, you may place a Treasure from your hand on your Vigorish mat. If you do, this is worth $3; otherwise, return all Copper from your Vigorish mat to the top of your deck, and this is worth $0.
(Return any cards on your Vigorish mat to your deck at the end of the game.)

#37 (tie) - Capitalist by Michaelf7777777 with 1 point (Hard Day's Night)
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice.

#43 (tie) - Investment (1) by dnkywin with 0 points (Sergeant Pepper)
$4 - Treasure
Trash a Treasure card from your hand. If you do, gain a Investment (1) token.
Worth $1 for every Investment (1) token you have.

#43 (tie) - Tax Return by Beyond Awesome with 0 points (Mean Mr. Mustard)
$5 - Treasure
-$3
--

#43 (tie) - Elixir by Powerman with 0 points (Bulldog)
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $3
-

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2012, 12:32:04 pm »

Second place! My best showing so far. Really wanted to win, but I can't complain too much. I really liked the winning card, and did indeed vote for it.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2012, 12:33:01 pm »

Congrats popsofctown for your first win. I like your card out of this relatively weak pack. It is a alt-Copper so we have a treasure for each amount!

Can we just call it "Astrolabe"?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:35:29 pm by One Armed Man »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2012, 12:34:06 pm »
+3

#2 - Emerald (1) by Robz888 with 16 points (Something)
$4 - Treasure
--
While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may gain an Emerald.

Why am I not surprised that this is Robz's card? ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:36:01 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:04 pm »

Congrats to popsofctown for his design!

I thought my card (Mortgage/Strawberry Fields) would actually get into top 5 judging from the initial response. I think that the fact that my card and Jewels Redux/Ticket to Ride being quite similar concept-wise hurts both of our chances, but overall I'm pleased with the result nonetheless.

#10 (tie) - Mortgage by PenPen with 10 points (Strawberry Fields)
$3 - Treasure
--
--
--

I wonder if there's anything else I can do to improve on this though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2012, 01:11:55 pm »

#37 (tie) - Monkey's Paw by eHalcyon with 1 point (Yellow Submarine)
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
--

Poor showing!  But I made good on my promise to submit something crazier.

My thought process for this entry went like this:

- We already have an Amulet and a Crystal Ball.  What else would fit in with those two, thematically?
- A Monkey's Paw!
- The story of the Monkey's Paw is always about how it twists your wish around to screw you over.
- Therefore this card should actually be really bad for you.

:)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2012, 01:36:01 pm »
+2

Thanks to Ehalcyon for helping me narrow down my selections, and for suggesting a cost revision, although I think this is the kind of card that works well at both 5$ and 4$.  It probably works at 4$, and if it does work at 4$ it should because it will be more interesting.  At 5$, I would see the card functioning like Outpost, something engine decks that are really interested in effect will begrudgingly pay 5$ to get.

The card is named "Island Astrolabe" because originally I had the card refer to the Island mat in the text, but then I looked it up and Island doesn't actually refer directly to the Island mat.  But I left the name alone because hey rinkworks doesn't show anyone the names (if he did, I swear Shindig would have gone up at least one rank :P).
Although I didn't manage to resist provoking fully and defended this card some already, I didn't say everything I could have said.  I expect Silk Road to play OK with this card.  At the worst, it is Workshop/Silk Road quality game when they combine, but no one wants to abolish Workshop or Silk Road, I don't think.  But I think that many a game it will be possible to block the Silk Road player by ignoring Astrolabe, picking up 2/3 of the last Silk Roads, and buying Provinces that the SR player won't be able to afford.  He has a 4$ copper and some skipped buy phases in his deck, you have time to get Silvers.
I think even the Golden Deck for Silk Road or Duke will be blockable, because unlike Bishop's Golden deck, you can't end the game on one pile or score 5 points a turn.

Astrolabe and Compass are good names for this card.  It's a treasure that helps you find a secluded place for your things.  Astrolabe really works best because it uses the Island mat, and that's thematic.

It's interesting that Robz's nice second place card is opposite from mine.  I'm a big Crossroads fan myself.   

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2012, 01:43:27 pm »

I only voted for three cards in this contest -- HYH (of course!), Love Me Do (which I liked for the zaniness) and Julia (which had interesting implications on strategy).

I like "Astrolabe" as a name.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2012, 01:50:29 pm »

Amusingly, I submitted nearly the same card as popsofctown did, but earlier in the competition as a Reaction-Treasure (i.e., you can reveal from hand for on-gain effects as well). 

I priced it at $4 / giving +$2, though, since it doesn't seem like it would work at $4 / giving +$1.  How often do you buy stuff that you don't want in your deck?  Only green cards, and +$1 is not enough for most green cards.  And the cheap green cards, well, you aren't usually buying them, you're usually gaining them, so a Treasure doesn't do much there either.  But it seems I must be in the wrong :)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2012, 01:56:39 pm »

Amusingly, I submitted nearly the same card as popsofctown did, but earlier in the competition as a Reaction-Treasure (i.e., you can reveal from hand for on-gain effects as well). 

I priced it at $4 / giving +$2, though, since it doesn't seem like it would work at $4 / giving +$1.  How often do you buy stuff that you don't want in your deck?  Only green cards, and +$1 is not enough for most green cards.  And the cheap green cards, well, you aren't usually buying them, you're usually gaining them, so a Treasure doesn't do much there either.  But it seems I must be in the wrong :)

Which contest was that in?  A Silver with that reaction would be too strong, I think.  I'd like it as a terminal +$2 though.  I'd like to go back and read my thought on the card before.  Maybe my opinion on it has wildly changed, after only a few weeks.  ;D

FWIW, I do prefer it as a reaction instead of a "while this is in play" effect.  Nice interaction with junking attacks.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2012, 02:01:52 pm »

I wasn't allowed to submit treasure/reaction :/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2012, 02:02:40 pm »

I wasn't allowed to submit treasure/reaction :/

I know. :P

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2012, 04:54:46 pm »

I only voted for three cards in this contest -- HYH (of course!), Love Me Do (which I liked for the zaniness) and Julia (which had interesting implications on strategy).

Thanks for the vote, eHalcyon. I have to be honest here -- I didn't vote for HYH, even though I liked it, because I thought it was yours! I've noticed that you tend to talk up your cards a bit more than the others in your assessments, which I thought might have swayed the votes your way (good cards as your multiple winners are, that's why I don't like entrants discussing cards and also why I did the same anyway :P). To test this theory out, I withheld my votes from Hold Your Hand. It was a very juvenile thing to do, and I owe you and popsofctown a big apology -- though it's not like Astrolabe needed my points.

Congrats on a well-deserved victory, pops!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 23 queries.