Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #16: Treasure Card!  (Read 43321 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #16: Treasure Card!
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 03:38:27 pm »

Fewer things are more entertaining than seeing a card be called too powerful and unplayable all in one thread.

I'll comment on cards over the weekend.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 12:10:25 am »

Something
$4 - Treasure
Reveal your hand. This is worth $1 per Victory card in your hand.
--
While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may gain an [This Card].

As for Something...
Don't know if speculating on the authors is accepted (otherwise just delete), but Something combos quite well with Scout...
... I have no comment on this theory.

well, that's ... Something.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 12:36:05 am »

I will Pillage pin all of you in your nightmares if you vote basically-strictly-better-than-Explorer as the winner.  Surely Jack teaches us that gaining Silver is a good effect.

Or consider this folks.  Gather round and listen.  We have 5$ Silver variants, like Royal Seal and Stash.  And they will be strictly better than Silver, and that's ok.  But they are never as good as two Silvers.  Paying 5$ for 2 Silvers is too strong.  That's why Cache gains two Coppers, not one.  If Cache gained one Copper, the mean value of the treasures gained would be 2$, and it would be a 5$ pair of Silvers.

This is a Silver, and if you are going to play it at least twice, it is 3 Silvers.

Ok, it's delayed so that's not a super parallel comparison.  But look.  If you vote this card in, I'm flying to all your houses and bringing mockups and opening Smithy/Silver and buying this until you cry.  It's not just nonterminal Explorer it's dead drawable Explorer.  It's a nonterminal, dead drawable Haggler.  And man is Haggler a strong 5.
Don't do this guys come on.  Think of the children.

I have thought of the children, and the children want Magic Ingot.  To be clear, you're talking about multiple submissions to this contest, no?  Specifically, I Feel Fine and It's Only Love.  I wasn't really excited about these entries before, but... nah... I still don't think I'll vote for them.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 12:52:21 pm »

If I Fell
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
Setup: Add an extra kingdom card pile costing at least as $5 to the supply. Cards from that pile may only be bought if [This Card] is in play.
better than silver that costs 4. no.
Ask My Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
Reveal the top card of your deck. You may discard it. If the discarded card is a Treasure, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.
It seems too random for my taste and encourages an odd BM-alt-vp thing.
Tell Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, you may put a card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, this is worth $2.
A treasure Courtyard. A coin Haven. Not particularly exciting, but it is balanced. Seems okay.
Michelle
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you gain this, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.
--
You cannot buy this if you have a Silver in play.
I don't like the anti-silver bit.
Cry Baby Cry
$2 - Treasure
Worth $0
If you gain this during your turn, trash it. +2 Buys and gain three Coppers, putting them into play.
--
You may only buy one copy of this card per turn.
I don't know what strategy this affects in the game.
Wait
$5 - Treasure
Worth $4
When you play this, put your deck in your discard pile.
--
While this is in play, you may not discard Treasure cards other than Copper from play until you have finished drawing.
Too much shuffling for my taste. The consequence is too strong for a treasure that gains 4 that encourages draw decks.
Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5
Soooo much worse than Fools Gold. The first one is worth 1, the second worth 2.
Something
$4 - Treasure
--
While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may gain an [This Card].
Without the $1 that Lucy provides, this doesn't seem worth it, which makes buying VP cards to get it weak, as well.
Good Night
$2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, you may trash it. If you do, it is worth $2. Otherwise, it is worth $1.
--
During your Buy phase, if this is in the trash, it costs $1 and you may buy it.
You can just buy copies of this from the trash? Aside from rules problems, this seems okay.
Eight Days a Week
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal your hand. +$1 per revealed card that is not a Treasure.
Like Lucy, except it doesn't count Harem and instead counts all actions. That pushes the card a little over the top in BM and with obsolete actions. I prefer Lucy.
I Feel Fine
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.
--
When you trash this, each other player gains a Copper.
A SuperExplorer, no.
Lose That Girl
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
At the start of Clean-up, if you have this and no more than two other Treasure cards in play, you may put this on top of your deck.
A better Silver at $4. no.
Follow the Sun
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you shuffle, you may place any [This Card] cards horizontally at the bottom of your draw pile. During your turn, whenever you would draw a card, except for during your clean-up phase, you may draw a [This Card] instead from its horizontal position.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] has a unique yellow background, similar to Stash's red background. If you do not choose to draw this card at a unique time it will be drawn as a normal card.)
too much work for a copper, and no one would prefer them to Silver in most decks.
Can't Buy Me Love
$4 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, +2 Cards.
I don't want this as a BM lab (it is interesting that it stacks, though).
Girl
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
While this is in play, Victory cards cost $2 less.
Like Quarry, this being a treasure mostly ruins the upgrade-based tricks I wanted to pull. It is mostly similar to Gold with +Buy when buying VP. If you had one of these, $6 buys you 2 Duchies as well as a province. 2 of these buys 3 Duchies for $3 or 2 duchies and a Province for $6. This seems too strong in multiples.
Bulldog
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $3
-
When you discard this from play, if you have at least one unused buy, trash this and gain a Copper on top of your deck.
I would be fine in a BM style game to get Bulldogs instead of Silvers, load my deck with Coppers and coast. I don't think it is interesting gameplay, though.
Let It Be
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
If you have one of these cards in play, gain a Silver during your buy phase; or if you have two or more of these cards in play gain a Gold during your buy phase.
I like this as $1, gain a Silver (though in that mode it is stronger than Squire) and as a Gold gainer in multiples. Other people are misinterpretting this. You only need 2 of these to gain the Gold. Seems okay.
Hold Your Hand
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may set that card aside.  Return it to your deck at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarifications:  It is recommended to use the Island mat for cards set aside this way.)
A treasure that lets you add VP without junking your deck. Other than that, I don't see the use of it unless you aside cards you don't need that you don't want opponents to have (Fools Gold). I could see interesting strategies that try to use this to empty piles. Seems okay.
Day Tripper
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, discard your hand. If you discarded any cards this way, +$2.
You can only play one Day Tripper! A little boring, since you can buy one of these safely in any non-Bank game where you want Treasure.
Jude
$6 - Treasure
Worth $2
You may discard a non-Victory card from your hand. If you do, gain a copy of it.
If this is too weak, an on-gain ability (of its ability) added to this would make it stronger, but I don't think it needs it. Seems okay.
Love Me Do
$3 - Treasure
When you play this, it is worth $1 for each token on your [This Card] mat.
If your [This Card] mat has no tokens on it, put 4 tokens on it. Otherwise, remove a token.
This gives a quite random assortment of money. If you play several of these in row, you get 0,4,7,9,10. As we learned from Tactician, 1 big card is better than 2 little ones. This is often better than Silver. Until you play it twice, though, you haven't contributed to your deck and the early buys count more cummulatively over the game. An interesting exercise but not a card that defines a strategy.
Martha
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
Return to your Action phase.
+1 Action
I like this. It is a bit like a variant of Fishing Village that is weaker but can't be drawn dead. It also lets you do Black Market style tricks. Seems fun.
[/quote]
Mean Mr. Mustard
$5 - Treasure
-$3
Trash this card, gain any two treasures from the supply.
--
(Rules clarification:  Yes, that's a negative coin value there.)
[/quote]
too strong
Norwegian Wood
$2 - Treasure
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
Worth $2 per card returned to the top of your deck this turn so far.
Keeping track of that is quite weird. The balance of the card seems fine in most cases, but there isn't much interaction since very few cards topdeck from hand.
Come Together
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$1.
--
When you trash this, gain two cards whose total cost in coins equals up to $6.
Too strong compared to Loan.
Sergeant Pepper
$4 - Treasure
Trash a Treasure card from your hand. If you do, gain a [This Card] token.
Worth $1 for every [This Card] token you have.
If you buy 2 of this, after you trash your coppers, you may buy more to pump up your Sergeant Peppers. This could swell to +$6 or more, like a non-terminal Pirate Ship. The scaling needs work.
Eleanor Rigby
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
When you gain this, set it aside; play it during the buy phase of your future turns.
This is actually a Market when you buy it, since if you use it on your next turn, you still were able to draw up to 5. It starts being everything on a market except +card later. The ruling needs to be cleaned up because I see it as setting aside every turn. Seems okay.
Ticket To Ride
$3 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, trash a card in play that you own. +$ equal to half the cost in coins of the trashed card, rounded down.
--
(Rules clarification: If you trash a Duration card that you played this turn, you still get the next turn effect.)
I don't like having to keep track of trashed Durations. Its trashing is very weak since it cannot trash Estates or Curses.
Yesterday
$5 - Treasure
If you've played three or more actions this turn, this is worth $3, otherwise it's worth $1.
A treasure Conspirator. It creates a tension between treasure and actions. It is also quite weak, because it never serves a purpose Gold doesn't. A version of this that could be better than gold on occastion would be interesting. Yesterday-> copper::Conspirator->Terminal Silver. Yesterday-> Gold:: Conspirator->Most of GrandMarket. Conspirator costs less and counts as an action for itself.
Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
Place a Copper from your hand or the Copper supply on any non-empty supply pile.
--
When a player gains a card other than Copper from a supply pile, he gains all Coppers on that supply pile, as well.
--
(Rules clarification: You may place Coppers on the Copper supply pile. When a Copper is placed on a supply pile other than the Copper pile, place it horizontally so that the card names and costs below show.)
I would like this card quite a bit more if it was an Action.
It's Only Love
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
Choose a Treasure card. Gain it. If it's a Silver or Copper, place it in hand.
SuperExplorer no.Gain easy Platinums.
She Loves You
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
Trash this. If you do, play a Treasure card from the supply other than [This Card]. Trash it.
This card is actually a super-spoils or even a super-double spoils if Platinum is around. If Potion is around, this also gives you flexibility when buying Familiar, etc. This seems too strong.
All My Loving
$7 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $4
--While this is in play, you may not buy Victory cards.
--
When this is in the Supply, the game ends after four piles are emptied, not three.
This strongly discourages the game from ending. There could be silly strategies that try to save this card for the turn following your greening or to trash this when you have crafted the perfect engine. I would like to give this a try. seems okay.
Please Please Me
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, it's worth an additional $1 per Estate missing from its Supply pile.
As a 5 cost, there are only a few instances where Estates would already be gone (Swindler, Baron, Trade Route, Remodel?, Ambassador). This would otherwise have a City-like strategy where you try to get a solid lead in Please Please Mes before you go for Estates. In 3 or 4 Player this could go particularly bonkers, with this card potentially being worth $13. This mechanic could potentially work with a tweak.
Help
$4 - Treasure
When you play this, you may place a Treasure from your hand on your [This Card] mat. If you do, this is worth $3; otherwise, return all Copper from your [This Card] mat to the top of your deck, and this is worth $0.
(Return any cards on your [This Card] mat to your deck at the end of the game.)
This is a potent gold you can use 3 times that gets rid of Coppers? This is just a treasure version of Moneylender. Too strong, since you can stop using this when you have no coppers.
Drive My Car
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
While this is in play, when you buy a card, either gain it, or every other player gains a copy, your choice.
I liked a version of this from an earlier contest. This version seems like it is a way more potent Curser than it was in the last version. It can curse twice!
Cry Instead
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
Choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Buy; or +$1.
I don't want drawing in Buy phase and its better than silver at $4.
Hard Day's Night
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice.
I don't think that Spy as a treasure is a good idea, especially that weakly. Would this be a Treasure Attack?
Julia
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you play this you may buy a Treasure card. If you do: put it in play and +1 Buy.
When you play this?? I don't like the wording. The concept might be okay.
Lucy
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal your hand.  +$1 per Victory card revealed.
Encourages early greening and Big Draw. Interesting. With Dual type victories, only Harem can really be combined with this. It is a strong version of Secret Chamber if you think about it. Seems okay.
Honey Don't
$3 - Treasure
Worth $2
When you play this, trash a Treasure you have in play, then gain a Treasure costing at most 3 less than the trashed Treasure and play it immediately.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] may trash itself, and must if no other Treasures are in play.)
Too much better than (and too similar to) Loan.
Paperback Writer
$6 - Treasure
When you play this, you may immediately play an Action card from your hand.  This cannot cause you to play more than one Action card.
--
If you played an Action card with this, this is worth $1; otherwise, it is worth $2.
--
(Rules clarifications:  [This Card] allows you to play exactly one Action card in your Buy phase for each [This Card] played.  You receive no benefit from +Actions on the card played.  Throne Room, King's Court, Golem, and Procession all normally cause you to play another Action card; you receive no benefit from these cards because you may not play another Action card.)
I prefer returning to the Action step completely with a card like this.
Yellow Submarine
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, reveal up to 3 cards from the top of your deck, one at a time.  This is worth $1 for each Copper and Curse revealed.  The player to your left may choose one revealed card for you to discard.  Put the rest back on top in any order.
--
(Rules clarification: You reveal each card before deciding if you want to reveal another.)
This design should be a terminal action if anything. A treasure effect should be simple if played (since it can be played repeatedly
Strawberry Fields
$3 - Treasure
Set aside a Victory card from your hand. This card is worth half the cost of that card (rounded up) in $, otherwise this is worth $0.
--
During your buy phase, you may buy any set aside Victory card at half its cost (rounded up) in $, you do not need to play this card to buy it.
--
When the game ends, any Victory cards that are still set aside by this card are not returned to your deck.
--
(Rules clarification: Getting back the Victory card works like buying it from supply, it uses a buy and you put it into the discard pile. You can just buy any Victory card you choose, provided that you can afford it and have enough buys. You can use multiple buys to gain as many Victory cards. You can put Vineyard aside, but it'll give you $0, and you can buy it back at $0.)
Too complicated. I have seen other cards inspire early greening more cleanly.
Penny Lane
$3 - Treasure
+$3
--
While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Curse.
This one is really interesting. You are making lots of money and buying things is what you always do with money. It is very hard to exploit this. When curses are out, there are lots of cheap golds and the game picks up the pace it lost during the cursing. Seems okay.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 01:22:54 pm »

Here are some comments on select cards, by category:

Gold + Penalty

Amulet by Kirian
$5 - Treasure

Worth $3
When you play this, each other player may trash a card from his hand.

This is a great card. Well, would you look at that? It's already in our set!

Even if it wasn't already in the set, Amulet is way better than the Gold with Penalty cards submitted this time: Bulldog (too strong),  Day Tripper (worth $3 if you discard your hand isn't really enough of a penalty, anyway. It just stops you from buying too many Day Trippers), Yesterday, and Penny Lane.

Also...

We also have Crystal Ball in our set:

Crystal Ball by eHalcyon
$5 - Treasure-Reaction

Worth $2
When you play this, reveal the top card of your deck and either discard it or put it back.
--
When you discard this other than from play, you may reveal it and set it aside. At the start of your next Buy phase, play this card.

I love this reaction mechanic. And that makes me conflicted because Follow the Sun reads as similar in idea to me.

Follow the Sun
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you shuffle, you may place any [This Card] cards horizontally at the bottom of your draw pile. During your turn, whenever you would draw a card, except for during your clean-up phase, you may draw a [This Card] instead from its horizontal position.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] has a unique yellow background, similar to Stash's red background. If you do not choose to draw this card at a unique time it will be drawn as a normal card.)

On the whole, I like this card. Crystal Ball is a save it for next Buy, and Follow the Sun is save it for when you need it on a draw. I can't decide whether these complement each other in the set or simply tread on each other. Definitely better than Eleanor Rigby, though (even with the rules clarification clarification).

Silver + Something

Speaking of Crystal Ball, it's a Silver + Something. For another Silver + Something to join its ranks, I think the bar needs to be quite high and the card significantly different. I don't really feel that any card meets the criteria for me on that front.

Copper + Something

This is the obvious place to look for a Treasure card to complement the set. There are a few good choices, too. And some bad ones.

A quick comment, though: Some cards are of the flavor: get $1 sometimes, get $2 sometimes. If the "sometimes" is too board dependent or too much of a permanent condition, it doesn't matter what the price of the card is, it's going to be wrong. It will either play like Copper (a $0) or Silver (a $3). Making the cost $1 or $2 so it's right "on average" doesn't fix the problem that the card is just unbalanceable.

Ask My Why: I don't get why this is "fine." A Treasure that gains a Silver on top of your deck almost every time you play it when you go Big Money? For $2? And it gives you a coin directly? FOR $2??? Maybe if this was a one-shot.

Tell Me Why: I don't like the mechanic. Also, I see that it's supposed to be a penalty, but too often you can rig it so it's not. This card is just unbalanced, me thinks.

Michelle: over-corrects for the problems in Ask My Why, making it a little weak. Also, uninteresting.

Nowhere Man: Play one, it's a Copper. Play a second, the second one is a Silver. As much as I was defending using non-integer numbers, this is probably not the best example of a good break from integers... :(

Good Night
$2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, you may trash it. If you do, it is worth $2. Otherwise, it is worth $1.
--

Ok. This is getting closer. Certainly better than Ask My Why and Michelle, but I really hate that below line ability. Kill it, and I think it's a good card. However, points docked for being a $2 cost card. I am quite confident the winner of the other contest will be a better entry to fill that slot in the roster.

Hold Your Hand: Seems way too strong. It would in practice play much better than Island, I think, since you do not have to wait for this card and another to line up before using the ability. Your green that you want to Island doesn't even temporarily clog. And the ability can be used multiple times, on the same turn, even! That alone more than makes up for the fact that this card cannot Island your starting Estates and Coppers.

Martha: No. Just, no. Anything that even remotely reminds of Black Market is a no go with me. This+Tactician? Too good.

Come Together
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

I like it, but it seems strong for an opener.

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
Place a Copper from your hand or the Copper supply on any non-empty supply pile.
--
When a player gains a card other than Copper from a supply pile, he gains all Coppers on that supply pile, as well.
--
(Rules clarification: You may place Coppers on the Copper supply pile. When a Copper is placed on a supply pile other than the Copper pile, place it horizontally so that the card names and costs below show.)

Ambassador x Embargo. Only FUN! Might be able to get away with pricing it at $2. Re: Tables: I think the rules clarification makes clear the intent is for Coppers to be treated as if they were returned to the Copper pile when placed there.

Cry Instead
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

I like the idea even though it's weird seeing that kind of choice on a Treasure. Maybe I like it because of that?

Hard Day's Night: Treasure-Attack? I'm not too keen on the spying ability and Crystal Ball sort of covers that base, anyway.

Julia: This is not the plus buy you are looking for....I think this overlaps too much with the Workshoppy winners from last week. Have $5? Play this, buy a Gold and gain a card costing $3 or less. We just have too much of this going on already.

Money Trees are Growing in the Gardens

I quite like the cards that make Victory Cards worth some coin this time around.

However, there is a caveat. I think making Victory cards worth coin can be sneaky powerful, so I am looking for a restrained version. I found out play testing a version of this mechanic a few weeks ago that if there is not some kind of constraint on getting the benefit, that on certain kingdoms, it's just outrageous. For instance, Crossroads + card with this mechanic = WAY TOO AMAZING. what's the downside to Crossroads? You draw dead cards because your deck is stuffed full of green trying to make Crossroads work (I think there was a DS blog post on this a while back?). So it's harder to build an engine or draw Treasure. This mechanic fixes that problem  by giving you something you need (coin) and it stacks. This could be a problem -- there is a reason why Secret Chamber and Vault mechanics don't give +1 Action blindly.

Something
$4 - Treasure
--

Eight Days a Week
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal your hand. +$1 per revealed card that is not a Treasure.

Lucy
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

I really dislike the on gain ability with Something. Way too good of a card. I like Lucy the best because it's the weakest. Guaranteed $5 when you open (that's okay), and it's amazing mid to late game in some engines. But I still don't think these cards restrain the ability enough because when it's good, it's really, really good.

Over in the $2 cost contest there is a card with a similar mechanic:

Shut Down
$2 - Action
Reveal your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed. If this is the first time you have played a [This Card] this turn, +1 Action.

This is a better implementation because you have to find help elsewhere in order to play the ability more than twice. This could lead to an interesting tradeoff when you are low on actions: play Shut Down, get the coin? Or play a different terminal action instead? Still great mid to late game, still great with Crossroads.

Misc. Comments

Wait: Wait, is there a penalty on this +$4 with benefit for $4? I don't see it. There's synergy in having two of these...

Girl: I want to compare this to Farmland for some reason, and it comes away as too strong.

Jack gains you Silver, but for only $1 more you can get a card that gains you PLATINUMnumnummmm! It's Only Love, sorry, but it's only common sense not to vote for you.

All My Loving
$7 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $4
--
While this is in play, you may not buy Victory cards.
--
When this is in the Supply, the game ends after four piles are emptied, not three.

I like everything about this card except the last line.

Please Please Me: So... this can be worth $12 in some games? Ok if it was situational, but the effect is permanent. Baron, drain the Estates, then anyone can pick this up later. If three estates are gone, this is always better to buy than Gold (when Ambassador isn't in play). I don't see how this works well.

Drive My Car: I agree with Tejayes. Way too good.

Strawberry Fields: Big Block of Text... Yet it's not enough. Also needs to say "or reveal a hand without Victory cards." I don't see how this card could possibly be fun.

I submitted cards to the contests.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 01:33:26 pm »

Are you opposed to this idea on general principle? I don't see why an improvement to Silver can't be sufficiently small to merit a $4 price tag, but still worthwhile.

Nowhere Man: Play one, it's a Copper. Play a second, the second one is a Silver. As much as I was defending using non-integer numbers, this is probably not the best example of a good break from integers... :(

I'm opposed to the non-integer thing generally, and the comparison someone else made between this card and Fool's Gold illustrates the problem (even if people feel FG is overpowered): the fractional parts can't do anything unless you line them up, which is fairly situational, and needs really careful thought. I mean, surely nobody here would approve of

Villab - Action - $4
+1.5 Card
+1.5 Action

But more importantly to Nowhere Man, it also is very limiting in terms of the bonus you can offer for lining up the cards. There is no x < 1 such that 2x >= 3, and that only covers the second FG, never mind subsequent ones...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:39:35 pm by zahlman »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 01:48:05 pm »

Are you opposed to this idea on general principle? I don't see why an improvement to Silver can't be sufficiently small to merit a $4 price tag, but still worthwhile.

I've actually been wondering about the same thing because of these contests. There is a common argument (maybe originally put forward by Donald X. (?)) that Silver+ has to be $5, because $4 is very similar to $3 and Silver is bought at $4 almost as much as at $4. I would love to see some data as to how often Silver is bought with a given amount of money available ($3, $4, $5, etc.). Maybe someone (me?) should write a script to go through the isotropic archives to skim this data. I'm guessing that it is bought significantly more often at $3 than $4, but I may be wrong!

Anyway, I'll try not to judge those entries too hard because of all this.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 02:23:04 pm »
+1

I've actually been wondering about the same thing because of these contests. There is a common argument (maybe originally put forward by Donald X. (?)) that Silver+ has to be $5, because $4 is very similar to $3 and Silver is bought at $4 almost as much as at $4. I would love to see some data as to how often Silver is bought with a given amount of money available ($3, $4, $5, etc.). Maybe someone (me?) should write a script to go through the isotropic archives to skim this data. I'm guessing that it is bought significantly more often at $3 than $4, but I may be wrong!

Anyway, I'll try not to judge those entries too hard because of all this.

It's from Donald X., yeah, and in fairly strong terms:  http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=337.msg4423#msg4423

I can't make a treasure that costs $4, makes $2, and has a bonus but no penalty. People buy Silver for $4 too often. So they'd buy this instead, not caring about the bonus, just thinking, it's better, and then everyone is playing with this card even if no-one was interested in it. I have had the experience; it's no good.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2012, 02:29:18 pm »

It's from Donald X., yeah, and in fairly strong terms:  http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=337.msg4423#msg4423

I can't make a treasure that costs $4, makes $2, and has a bonus but no penalty. People buy Silver for $4 too often. So they'd buy this instead, not caring about the bonus, just thinking, it's better, and then everyone is playing with this card even if no-one was interested in it. I have had the experience; it's no good.

Fair enough! I'm sure Donald X. has more experience with these types of things than I do. Still, it would be interesting to see what percent of Silver buys are at $4.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2012, 02:35:26 pm »

It really wouldn't matter.  Consider as a 4/3 opening you want a silver and a card costing 3 or less. You can get them in either order and make it work. I have overpaid for silver to hide my intention about some action. You either overpay for the silver or the other card.

JFugue

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 04:14:00 pm »

Schneau, I think there's one subtle difference between $3 and $4 cost cards: in the opening two turns - barring the presence of Nomad Camp or something similar - you cannot buy two of the $4 cost cards.  If a card is barely better than silver (or perhaps equal over the long run), but might be overpowered in the opening turns, it might be well-suited at $4.  I think, for example, Love me do might be better suited at $4 to prevent massive, and very swingy, turn 3's and turn 4's.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2012, 04:23:10 pm »

Schneau, I think there's one subtle difference between $3 and $4 cost cards: in the opening two turns - barring the presence of Nomad Camp or something similar - you cannot buy two of the $4 cost cards.  If a card is barely better than silver (or perhaps equal over the long run), but might be overpowered in the opening turns, it might be well-suited at $4.  I think, for example, Love me do might be better suited at $4 to prevent massive, and very swingy, turn 3's and turn 4's.

Sure, but Love Me Do isn't a Silver-with-bonus, so it isn't relevant to that particular discussion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 04:33:35 pm »
+2

Hold Your Hand: Seems way too strong. It would in practice play much better than Island, I think, since you do not have to wait for this card and another to line up before using the ability. Your green that you want to Island doesn't even temporarily clog. And the ability can be used multiple times, on the same turn, even! That alone more than makes up for the fact that this card cannot Island your starting Estates and Coppers.

I am going to defend this because it is one of my favourite submissions here.  (Disclaimer: the card isn't mine; I defend my own submissions very little until after voting is done.)

I believe HYH is balanced.  As a $4 Copper, it has natural comparisons with Talisman and (to a lesser extent) Quarry.  Of course, what they do is very different, but my thought is that a $5 Copper would have to have a really, really good bonus.  I don't believe there are any $5 Coppers around.  IGG is sort of a Copper, but it can give $2 if you want so I count it closer to Silver.  Venture will always give at least $2 except in edge cases, so it's a Silver-with-bonus too.

HYH is comparable to Island, but they play in different ways.  Island is itself a VP card.  It will help clear out your deck of two dead cards (counting itself).  Island gives 2VP as well, which is not trivial.

HYH cannot clear out starting Estates.  Point for Island.  But you also don't need to line it up with an Estate.  Point for HYH, I suppose.  But the thing is, in order to make use of the ability, you have to BUY VP on the turn that HYH shows up.  It frustrates me when I draw Talisman in a $5+ hand -- do I buy the cheap card I want multiples of, or something more expensive?  With HYH, you have to decide whether to buy the card that helps improve your deck, or delay that in favour of hiding away some cheap VP.

The fact that it is a Copper is important.  If HYH was a Silver, I would question whether $6 was still too cheap.  But since it is a Copper, it makes it more difficult to buy the big VP cards.  Copper doesn't help much in getting to Province, and definitely not for Colony!

If you use it well, HYH would be very strong.  I would guess it would be best in a draw-your-deck engine.  Add it in late when the engine is built, then start greening without fear of clogging your deck.

But without that engine, HYH is mediocre.  You might not have to line it up with green in hand, but you would have to line it up with enough coin to buy the VP you want, if you want to buy VP at all on that turn.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 10:15:57 pm »

I am going to defend this because it is one of my favourite submissions here.  (Disclaimer: the card isn't mine; I defend my own submissions very little until after voting is done.)

I believe HYH is balanced.  As a $4 Copper, it has natural comparisons with Talisman and (to a lesser extent) Quarry.  Of course, what they do is very different, but my thought is that a $5 Copper would have to have a really, really good bonus.  I don't believe there are any $5 Coppers around.  IGG is sort of a Copper, but it can give $2 if you want so I count it closer to Silver.  Venture will always give at least $2 except in edge cases, so it's a Silver-with-bonus too.

I think it's hard to think of this as a Copper++. This must be compared directly to Island. The set aside ability is its reason for existence.

HYH is comparable to Island, but they play in different ways.  Island is itself a VP card.  It will help clear out your deck of two dead cards (counting itself). 
The fact that Island is itself a dead card but HYH is not should tell us something. Island's ability is so useful, you are willing to let it clog your deck until it pairs up with a card to set aside.
Island gives 2VP as well, which is not trivial.
Honestly, I forgot to weigh the 2 VP from Island. That is a bit of a blunder on my part.
HYH cannot clear out starting Estates.  Point for Island.  But you also don't need to line it up with an Estate.  Point for HYH, I suppose.  But the thing is, in order to make use of the ability, you have to BUY VP on the turn that HYH shows up.
I don't see why you think that is such a big restriction. When you do, it doesn't even touch your deck like it does with Island. And you can potentially buy lots of VP and set them all aside with just one copy of HYH. Silk Road strategies become crazy.

It frustrates me when I draw Talisman in a $5+ hand -- do I buy the cheap card I want multiples of, or something more expensive?  With HYH, you have to decide whether to buy the card that helps improve your deck, or delay that in favour of hiding away some cheap VP.
This signals to me that alt VP becomes crazy good.
The fact that it is a Copper is important.  If HYH was a Silver, I would question whether $6 was still too cheap.  But since it is a Copper, it makes it more difficult to buy the big VP cards.  Copper doesn't help much in getting to Province, and definitely not for Colony!

If you use it well, HYH would be very strong.  I would guess it would be best in a draw-your-deck engine.  Add it in late when the engine is built, then start greening without fear of clogging your deck.
This is my main concern. You have to assume people will play the card well, otherwise, what's the point of thinking about strategies and power? And you only need one copy in an engine that draws a lot of your deck to reap unlimited benefits. Island's ability is massively limited in that it is one-shot and takes actions. HYH does not need an action -- it's a Treasure. 
But without that engine, HYH is mediocre.  You might not have to line it up with green in hand, but you would have to line it up with enough coin to buy the VP you want, if you want to buy VP at all on that turn.
I am not concerned about Big Money games or this card being a one-card strategy. Lots of cards are bad used that way. But you can't say, there are kingdoms which it's bad, and kingdoms in which its too good, so it averages out. The too good is a problem for me.

In addition to engines:

Alt VP strategies are as plentiful as engine strategies here. A new golden deck with one copy of HYH and a trasher (and maybe a plus buy) would be too easy of a Silk Road strategy, for instance.

Also Black Market shenanigans make this card a go-to with the ability on gain.

My personal preference is to distrust potentially strong cards until they are play tested or I think about them a lot. Especially since we are trying to build a set. Let one broken card in whose problems can't be fixed by a price increase, and it kind of ruins the exercise for me. I still think HYH is potentially a strong card. This is also why I almost universally distrust fan attack cards. I understand others like strong cards, find them fun to read and maybe try out and are more willing to give them a pass then throw them out later when they realize they make the game degenerate too often. I have different preferences and this week I thought I would push those preferences a little more.

Actually, my preferences feed into how I play Dominion, too. Even after extensive play testing by Donald, I actually think the official Dominion cards have too many power, go-to cards that create degenerate strategies on too many random boards. When I play with cards like Witch, Wharf, IGG, or Governor on the board, I almost always try to play alternate strategies to beat them. And then I lose like 95% of those games. But that 5%, boy is it sweet. I probably have the weirdest "worst cards" list on Iso for this reason.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 11:41:58 pm »

I don't feel it's a problem that it's good for alt VP.  SR is usually good on any board it shows up on, and enabling a new Golden Deck strategy isn't a dealbreaker for me either.  I think HYH has potential to be very strong, but not in a broken way.  It would be most potent in draw-your-deck games and in golden deck games.  But these boards themselves need a few different elements to work -- drawers, trashers, villages.  Throw in HYH and we're talking 3 card combo at least, usually more.  If you want to take advantage of it to buy multiple VP, you need +Buy as well. 

It might turn out to be too good, but I think Crystal Ball is more likely to be broken than this. :P

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 11:52:59 pm »

I don't feel it's a problem that it's good for alt VP.  SR is usually good on any board it shows up on, and enabling a new Golden Deck strategy isn't a dealbreaker for me either.  I think HYH has potential to be very strong, but not in a broken way.  It would be most potent in draw-your-deck games and in golden deck games.  But these boards themselves need a few different elements to work -- drawers, trashers, villages.  Throw in HYH and we're talking 3 card combo at least, usually more.  If you want to take advantage of it to buy multiple VP, you need +Buy as well. 
Fair enough.
It might turn out to be too good, but I think Crystal Ball is more likely to be broken than this. :P
Maybe. There are concerns with strength there, too. I remember that I preferred a weaker card with that reaction in that contest to yours, if I recall correctly. So I think I'm being consistent.... I do love that reaction on Crystal Ball, though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 11:58:50 pm »

I think I'm just less concerned with cards being too strong than I am of cards being too weak.  I may be wrong, but I think it is easier to nerf than to buff.

A possible change to HYH would be putting the Island effect on a reaction instead of when it's "in play".  This changes a few things:

- now you can't even use it as a Copper if you want to Island, making it even less effective at getting big ticket VP.  Still not much of a difference in an engine, of course.

- now you could probably allow it to respond to junking attacks.

And that change would open it up to a very easy nerf -- "reveal and discard" vs. "reveal".

It's probably not the right time to speculate on these lines though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2012, 10:08:22 am »

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5
Strictly worse than Fool's Gold. A lot worse.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2012, 01:00:53 pm »

Green Market Backstage Pass
4$ Treasure
Worth 2$
You may buy cards from the Green Market supply piles this turn.  Nonvictory cards cost an additional 1$ to buy.
(Set Up: Add BasicallyGreatHall, AmIBetterThanNobles?, and ThisOneActuallyRewardsRisk to the supply)

Basically GreatHall
3$ Victory
Worth 1 VP.  When you gain this, set it aside.

AmIBetterThanNobles?
6$ Victory
Worth 3 VP.  When you gain this, set it aside.

ThisOneActuallyRewardsRisk
9$ Victory
Worth 6 VP. When you gain this, set it aside.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:02:27 pm by popsofctown »

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2012, 02:15:36 pm »

If this is the intent behind HYH, then I see why this might be okay. No on gain/Black Market/Cache issues, no alt VP issues. However, as it stands, HYH has too many potential problem cases for me to be okay with its strength as written without testing.

This would have been better for me:

Reigned-In HYH
4$ Treasure
Worth 1$
While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may trash it. If you do, +VP equal to the VP the card would be worth in a deck by itself.

Even like this, I still like other cards' mechanics better. Come Together, Walrus, and Cry Instead are better as a Copper+. Lucy and Follow the Sun are great, as well. Almost all of these cards have better, more original mechanics than HYH. I would rather assign points to these, anyway, even if strength is okay on HYH.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2012, 02:33:17 pm »

If this is the intent behind HYH, then I see why this might be okay. No on gain/Black Market/Cache issues, no alt VP issues. However, as it stands, HYH has too many potential problem cases for me to be okay with its strength as written without testing.

Reigned-In HYH
4$ Treasure
Worth 1$
While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may trash it. If you do, +VP equal to the VP the card would be worth in a deck by itself.

Even like this, I still like other cards' mechanics better. Come Together, Walrus, and Cry Instead are better as a Copper+. Lucy and Follow the Sun are great, as well. Almost all of these cards have better, more original mechanics than HYH. I would rather assign points to these, anyway, even if strength is okay on HYH.
I would not vote for that card. It makes buying Silk road, Gardens, Vineyard, Fairgrounds, and Feofdum worthless to buy with it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2012, 02:41:48 pm »

Reigned-In HYH
4$ Treasure
Worth 1$

RIHYH is not nearly as elegant as HYH is, and it is awkward with alt VP.  Buy Silk Road for 0VP?  Eh.

Rewriting what I've already written, but:

I think Come Together may be too strong as a non-terminal trasher.  This is something I've watched out for ever since I made a stupidly undercosted submission to the Village contest.  It's way better than Loan, for sure.

Walrus doesn't sit well with me, and I don't know exactly why.  Trying to think more on it than I did earlier, I think it may be due to slight politics.  That is, say there is a bunch of Copper on a key pile.  If you take the plunge and pick it up, you just opened access to that pile for everyone else without penalty.  So it just feels bad to pick up a card blocked by Walrus coppers.  Embargo, the natural comparison, continues to affect everyone the same, at least until the Curses run out.

Cry Instead is too cheap as a Silver-with-bonus for $4.  And yes, it is definitely a Silver+, not a Copper+.  It is always a Silver if you want it to be, but you have options for it to do other things.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2012, 05:01:38 pm »
+1

Reigned-In HYH
4$ Treasure
Worth 1$

Cache issues

I forgot to add Cache, that gamebreaker is fun.

Green Market Gold
6$ Treasure
Worth 3$
Set two coppers aside.

Thank God you pointed out the Cache issue, being able to buy Gold using a 4$ card and four coppers obviously turns Dominion's balance on its head. Even as a two card combo appearing in fraction of a percentage point of games, that's totally unacceptable to change Dominion so it can be played that way.  We really need to compare these fan cards with existing official cards and be cautious for game ruining synergies like this.  We don't want such massive fluctuations in values based on what else is in the kingdom. 

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:08:55 pm by popsofctown »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 05:10:40 pm »

Re: Cache issues, I think the better way to think of it is -- if you had bought Silver instead of HYH, you could have bought Gold instead of Cache.  No problem there.

(Edit: I suppose that's what pops was getting at, in a slightly snarkier manner. :P )

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 08:58:43 pm »
+1

I have to say that I was overall disappointed by this round of submissions. Not a lot of exciting / well balanced cards here. Treasures are hard, and I think a lot of people made cards that would be better as Actions. Don't do on a Treasure what you could just as easily do better on an Action, that's what my mom used to tell me. Anyway, here are my reviews.

If I Fell
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
Setup: Add an extra kingdom card pile costing at least as $5 to the supply. Cards from that pile may only be bought if [This Card] is in play.

This is unfortunately usually not ignorable, which makes it, as a $4 Silver, probably not a good card. I otherwise generally approve of the idea.

Ask My Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
Reveal the top card of your deck. You may discard it. If the discarded card is a Treasure, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

Why? Isn't most of this card basically a cheaper Crystal Ball as a Copper? Plus, way too strong.

Tell Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, you may put a card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, this is worth $2.

Am I going insane, or is this card similarly named and mechanicked as the one above it? Assuming I'm sane, I'm not a big fan of this. It is pretty weak, but reminds me a lot of Courtyard.

Michelle
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you gain this, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.
--
You cannot buy this if you have a Silver in play.

So, I guess this is like a Silver you can top-deck but get a penalty Copper? But, can't buy it with Silver in play? It's probably ok, but pretty weak in general. It might be strong in some openings.

Cry Baby Cry
$2 - Treasure
Worth $0
If you gain this during your turn, trash it. +2 Buys and gain three Coppers, putting them into play.
--
You may only buy one copy of this card per turn.

So many potential rules problems here. To start, if you gain it on someone else's turn, it is completely useless. Lame. Only buy one copy per turn clause? Lame. Putting Coppers directly into play? Weird and lame.

Wait
$5 - Treasure
Worth $4
When you play this, put your deck in your discard pile.
--
While this is in play, you may not discard Treasure cards other than Copper from play until you have finished drawing.

Definitely needs better wording / more rules clarification. I mean, I get what you're doing, but this is way to ambiguous. Plus, it almost definitely has FBI.

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5

No.

Something
$4 - Treasure
--

Wait, does it mean when this is in the supply, or when you have played one of these? Either way, this is probably often too weak to be worth playing besides in alt-VP strats, in which case it may be too strong.

Good Night
$2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
--

So, one-shot Silver with Buy or Copper with Buy? Seems fine. The buying from trash clause is weird, but it's hard to tell if it is good weird or bad weird. I don't see any problems with it - it's basically a discount if you can buy it from the trash, where it will often be since it can self-trash.

Eight Days a Week
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

This can be way too strong with draw-your-deck engines. Like, crazy-strong. Imagine an all-action deck with Scrying Pool and 2 of these? I'd buy this 9 days a week. Forgot that this was a treasure. In that case, it would only be crazy-strong with Black Market. Otherwise, is probably fine, but similar to Something.

I Feel Fine
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.
--
When you trash this, each other player gains a Copper.

Too strong. Like, Explorer on steroids.

Lose That Girl
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
At the start of Clean-up, if you have this and no more than two other Treasure cards in play, you may put this on top of your deck.

In some ways this seems better than Stash. So, I'm definitely skeptical having that strong of a Silver+ cost $4.

Follow the Sun
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

I don't want another different back card. Sorry. Otherwise, this is almost interesting, in that it allows you to hit your expensive Coppers with terminal draw.

Can't Buy Me Love
$4 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, +2 Cards.

The name of this card is hilarious with this mechanic - Can You Draw Love? When you think about it, I'm pretty sure this card is OP in BM - it is basically a Labratory that can't play Actions after it but doesn't need an Action. That's probably too strong for a $4 card, and boring for anything besides BM.

Girl
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
While this is in play, Victory cards cost $2 less.

So, a Quarry for Victory cards? With the +1 Buy, this is way too easy to stack for a mega turn. So, no.

Bulldog
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $3
-
When you discard this from play, if you have at least one unused buy, trash this and gain a Copper on top of your deck.

This is very strong, even with the "penalty". A +Buy Gold for $3? You're insane in the brain.

Let It Be
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
If you have one of these cards in play, gain a Silver during your buy phase; or if you have two or more of these cards in play gain a Gold during your buy phase.

Probably crazy strong. This is essentially a $2 Explorer that loses you $1, but instead of stacking with Provinces has to stack with itself. Might be correctly priced at $4 or $5, but even then it would have FBI.

Hold Your Hand
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may set that card aside.  Return it to your deck at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarifications:  It is recommended to use the Island mat for cards set aside this way.)

I'm not a fan of this mechanic. It is pretty darn strong. Many small-deck engines are amazing, but quickly slow when they green. With this, such a deck would fire every turn. Plus, it has lots of power in alt-VP type games. I might be cool with this at $5, where it wouldn't overshadow Island as much.

Day Tripper
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, discard your hand. If you discarded any cards this way, +$2.

If you buy only one of these, it is essentially a Gold most of the time. At the same time, it is a risky proposition to get more than one. This card would definitely do best without trashing, which means it may be too strong in straight BM. Still, might be ok.

Jude
$6 - Treasure
Worth $2
You may discard a non-Victory card from your hand. If you do, gain a copy of it.

This feels more like an Action than a Treasure. Maybe that's ok, but it does mean that you have to sacrifice not playing the card to get the copy. Might actually be a bit weak.

Love Me Do
$3 - Treasure
When you play this, it is worth $1 for each token on your [This Card] mat.
If your [This Card] mat has no tokens on it, put 4 tokens on it. Otherwise, remove a token.

Worth cycle of 0-4-3-2-1-0-4-3-2-1-0. So, this averages $2. That's sort of cute, but might overshadow Silver too much. I mean, one good hand and one bad hand is better than two mediocre hands, right? Also, this is at least as good as Silver 3 out of 5 plays. I might actually like this at $4. Or at $3.

Martha
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
Return to your Action phase.
+1 Action

Sorry, I've seen this type of thing before, never been a fan.

Mean Mr. Mustard
$5 - Treasure
-$3
Trash this card, gain any two treasures from the supply.
--
(Rules clarification:  Yes, that's a negative coin value there.)

Sure is Mean to take away your coins like that! But, to tell the truth, I'd always spend $5 on a card that trashes for 2 Golds (without even taking an Action mind you) and effectively makes it impossible to buy anything else. 2 Golds is almost always better than anything else I wanted to buy that turn. Plus, this + Chapel would almost surely be the best opening in the game. This Mustard is too strong for my tastes.

Norwegian Wood
$2 - Treasure
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
Worth $2 per card returned to the top of your deck this turn so far.

I feel like we've seen this card before. Maybe a previous contest? Maybe I'm having deja vu? Anyway, sort of annoying to keep track of.

Come Together
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

The on-trash is a lot like Thanksgiving / Quin from the one-shot contest. I liked that card, and I like this one too. Though, it may be a bit strong, since you often want to trash cards, which makes this an even better Silver+. I think it would be better at $5, where it would probably be pretty balanced. Still, I like the idea.

Sergeant Pepper
$4 - Treasure
Trash a Treasure card from your hand. If you do, gain a [This Card] token.
Worth $1 for every [This Card] token you have.

I think this is definitely broken strong. Like, you can easily boost these up to $5 or more just trashing your starting Coppers. Definitely OP as an opener.

Eleanor Rigby
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
When you gain this, set it aside; play it during the buy phase of your future turns.

I don't get the wording. Pass.

Ticket To Ride
$3 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, trash a card in play that you own. +$ equal to half the cost in coins of the trashed card, rounded down.
--
(Rules clarification: If you trash a Duration card that you played this turn, you still get the next turn effect.)

I thought we were playing Dominion?

This is sort of a much worse Counterfeit. In fact, I think it's so much worse that it is way weak. The cards you want to trash you either can't (Estates) or don't give you help (Copper and Curse). So, you have to trash good cards, and it's only half as good as Salvager at those? Very weak.

Yesterday
$5 - Treasure
If you've played three or more actions this turn, this is worth $3, otherwise it's worth $1.

Obviously better in an engine than BM. Needs a pretty decent engine at that. It may be a bit weak, but it's probably fine.

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

This card gives me funny feelings in my stomach. Or maybe that was just the swiss chard I ate for dinner. Either way, I sort of like it and sort of don't. I find it very intriguing that the Coppers can be either bad or good (alt-VP). I played with Begger yesterday, and it started to change the way I feel about Copper. Anyway, this is fun and questionably strong/weak/FBI, but maybe fun wins the day?

It's Only Love
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
Choose a Treasure card. Gain it. If it's a Silver or Copper, place it in hand.

Um what? This is surely too strong. Surely. Platinums?

She Loves You
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
Trash this. If you do, play a Treasure card from the supply other than [This Card]. Trash it.

So, usually this is a one shot $4 (or $6 with Platinum). That's A LOT for $4. Essentially, it allows you to keep around the money you used to buy this card for later. It may be about balanced if it wasn't worth $1 itself.

All My Loving
$7 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $4
--
While this is in play, you may not buy Victory cards.
--

Ugg, I hate that last "When this is in the Supply..." thing. I also hate the "no Victory Cards buying" thing. So, no dice All My Loving.

Please Please Me
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, it's worth an additional $1 per Estate missing from its Supply pile.

So, like a weird Trade Route for Estates? To tell the truth, I never really liked how you could do lots of work to power up Trade Route and then have someone else use it. It also feels like it could get crazy strong in some games, making it must-buy.

Help
$4 - Treasure
When you play this, you may place a Treasure from your hand on your [This Card] mat. If you do, this is worth $3; otherwise, return all Copper from your [This Card] mat to the top of your deck, and this is worth $0.
(Return any cards on your [This Card] mat to your deck at the end of the game.)

I feel like you can make this worth $3 while setting asside Copper way too long to make this balanced. In fact, I'm sure this is too strong. Probably even at $5. It needs Help.

Drive My Car
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
While this is in play, when you buy a card, either gain it, or every other player gains a copy, your choice.

This has got to be an Attack. It begs you to give away Curses, and then Coppers. Oh, and also gives you a coin. So, on an equivalent Action-Attack card it could read: "+1 Action, +$1, choose either Curse or Copper; each other player gains the chosen card." If you can't tell by now, this is crazyheadsauce strong OP at $4. Not to mention that this contest says no Attack cards.

Cry Instead
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

Now this is a card I think I can get behind! It's a little weird to +1 Card during your Buy phase, but I guess I can get over it. I hope Donald X. will forgive me, but I like this as a Silver+ at $4.

Hard Day's Night
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice.

So, it's exactly like Spy except +$1 instead of +1 Card. I mean, essentially so. Oh, and this is an Attack card. How could it not be if Spy is? That breaks the rules, man.

Julia
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you play this you may buy a Treasure card. If you do: put it in play and +1 Buy.

I'm a little confuseled by this. Let's say you spend $4 including this and buy a Silver. You then get to put it in play and get another buy, at which point you have $3 to spend. It seems like most of the time, the second buy won't allow you to buy much more than a $3 card. Which probably makes a Copper+ at $4 not strong enough.

Lucy
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

This is like a Treasure version of Crossroads (and like Something and EDaW). I can't think of any reason this would be OP, besides that it combos with Scout. It does, however, guarentee a $5 hand if you open Lucy/Silver (or any +Card instead of Silver). That's a bit strong, a problem it shares with EDaW.

Honey Don't
$3 - Treasure
Worth $2
When you play this, trash a Treasure you have in play, then gain a Treasure costing at most 3 less than the trashed Treasure and play it immediately.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] may trash itself, and must if no other Treasures are in play.)

This is way to strong. Note that if you're trashing a card in play, it has already been played, so you get that money plus the money from the card you gain. So, if you trash a Silver that you played and play a Copper, that is $3 plus the $2 from this card. This+Gold = $7 + Silver. Plus, it is a better Copper trasher than Moneylender. I'd definitely call this a Silver+, and I can't vote for that at $3. This card might be balanced at $5, but even that is a hard call.

Paperback Writer
$6 - Treasure
When you play this, you may immediately play an Action card from your hand.  This cannot cause you to play more than one Action card.
--
If you played an Action card with this, this is worth $1; otherwise, it is worth $2.
--
(Rules clarifications:  [This Card] allows you to play exactly one Action card in your Buy phase for each [This Card] played.  You receive no benefit from +Actions on the card played.  Throne Room, King's Court, Golem, and Procession all normally cause you to play another Action card; you receive no benefit from these cards because you may not play another Action card.)

Too much rules clarification and possible problems. Pass.

Yellow Submarine
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, reveal up to 3 cards from the top of your deck, one at a time.  This is worth $1 for each Copper and Curse revealed.  The player to your left may choose one revealed card for you to discard.  Put the rest back on top in any order.
--
(Rules clarification: You reveal each card before deciding if you want to reveal another.)

Not a fan of cards that make you discard your good cards to get bad cards. Which this card does in a sneaky way.

Strawberry Fields
$3 - Treasure
Set aside a Victory card from your hand. This card is worth half the cost of that card (rounded up) in $, otherwise this is worth $0.
--
During your buy phase, you may buy any set aside Victory card at half its cost (rounded up) in $, you do not need to play this card to buy it.
--
When the game ends, any Victory cards that are still set aside by this card are not returned to your deck.
--
(Rules clarification: Getting back the Victory card works like buying it from supply, it uses a buy and you put it into the discard pile. You can just buy any Victory card you choose, provided that you can afford it and have enough buys. You can use multiple buys to gain as many Victory cards. You can put Vineyard aside, but it'll give you $0, and you can buy it back at $0.)

Too weird.

Penny Lane
$3 - Treasure
+$3
--
While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Curse.

Penny Lane should have definitely been on a Copper equivalent. Sad face.

Sigh. Is this a ploy to get Blood Money without being Blood Money? More sad face.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 2.365 seconds with 22 queries.