Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #16: Treasure Card!  (Read 43302 times)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #16: Treasure Card!
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 11:33:15 am »

I'm pretty sure my card is broken, but I don't actually remember what I submitted for this one.

F5 F5 F5

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 03:50:00 pm »
+2

Here is the ballot for Challenge #16!

--

Voting Rules:

Each person may cast votes as follows:  For each Challenge, you may fill your ballot out in one of two ways:

(1) Award 3 points to one entry.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.
(2) Award 2 points to each of two entries.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.

Submit your votes via PM to me by Monday, September 24, 2012, 10am EDT in the following format:

Challenge 1

3 CardName
1 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName
1 AnotherCardNameGoesHereToo

Challenge 2

2 CardName
2 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName

Please use the above format!  One card per line, with the number of votes given before it, and no extra punctuation or anything.  This will make it easy for me to copy-and-paste your votes into the format my vote-counting script needs it to be in.

Do not submit votes for your own cards.  (If you do, my script will catch you anyway.)

By submitting vote(s) for a challenge, you will automatically earn 1 point for your entry in that challenge.  This is to incentivize contestants to submit votes.  (My script does this automatically, so don't worry that I'll forget to do this.)

Note that the supplied card names are for discussion/identification only -- they are not the card names that were submitted to me.  The proper card names will be revealed when the results are announced.  Whenever card text says "[This Card]" it means the submitted text says the card's own name there.

Inclusion on the ballot means that the card was deemed eligible for the contest.  You therefore do not need to consider eligibility when voting.  In some cases, this may mean a pretty loose interpretation of the eligibility requirements.  I tried to be fair but also forgiving when a submission came in that twisted the rules in a way I hadn't foreseen.

As a voter, you may use whatever criteria you wish in determining what your votes will be.  Be as forgiving or particular as you like concerning conformance to standard Dominion terminology.   For all winning cards, there will be a chance to tweak the wording as a community, if necessary, before they are canonized.

--

If I Fell
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
Setup: Add an extra kingdom card pile costing at least as $5 to the supply. Cards from that pile may only be bought if [This Card] is in play.

Ask My Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
Reveal the top card of your deck. You may discard it. If the discarded card is a Treasure, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

Tell Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, you may put a card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, this is worth $2.

Michelle
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you gain this, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.
--
You cannot buy this if you have a Silver in play.

Cry Baby Cry
$2 - Treasure
Worth $0
If you gain this during your turn, trash it. +2 Buys and gain three Coppers, putting them into play.
--
You may only buy one copy of this card per turn.

Wait
$5 - Treasure
Worth $4
When you play this, put your deck in your discard pile.
--
While this is in play, you may not discard Treasure cards other than Copper from play until you have finished drawing.

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5

Something
$4 - Treasure
Reveal your hand. This is worth $1 per Victory card in your hand.
--
While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may gain an [This Card].

Good Night
$2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, you may trash it. If you do, it is worth $2. Otherwise, it is worth $1.
--
During your Buy phase, if this is in the trash, it costs $1 and you may buy it.

Eight Days a Week
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal your hand. +$1 per revealed card that is not a Treasure.

I Feel Fine
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.
--
When you trash this, each other player gains a Copper.

Lose That Girl
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
At the start of Clean-up, if you have this and no more than two other Treasure cards in play, you may put this on top of your deck.

Follow the Sun
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you shuffle, you may place any [This Card] cards horizontally at the bottom of your draw pile. During your turn, whenever you would draw a card, except for during your clean-up phase, you may draw a [This Card] instead from its horizontal position.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] has a unique yellow background, similar to Stash's red background. If you do not choose to draw this card at a unique time it will be drawn as a normal card.)

Can't Buy Me Love
$4 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, +2 Cards.

Girl
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
While this is in play, Victory cards cost $2 less.

Bulldog
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $3
-
When you discard this from play, if you have at least one unused buy, trash this and gain a Copper on top of your deck.

Let It Be
$2 - Action
Discard an Estate and a Treasure from your hand; if you do, gain a Treasure card costing less than a Gold to your hand.
--
When you buy this, gain an Estate.
(Had this user's #15 and #16 entries swapped.  The correct entry for this challenge is:)

Let It Be
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
If you have one of these cards in play, gain a Silver during your buy phase; or if you have two or more of these cards in play gain a Gold during your buy phase.

Hold Your Hand
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may set that card aside.  Return it to your deck at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarifications:  It is recommended to use the Island mat for cards set aside this way.)

Day Tripper
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, discard your hand. If you discarded any cards this way, +$2.

Jude
$6 - Treasure
Worth $2
You may discard a non-Victory card from your hand. If you do, gain a copy of it.

Love Me Do
$3 - Treasure
When you play this, it is worth $1 for each token on your [This Card] mat.
If your [This Card] mat has no tokens on it, put 4 tokens on it. Otherwise, remove a token.

Martha
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
Return to your Action phase.
+1 Action

Mean Mr. Mustard
$5 - Treasure
-$3
Trash this card, gain any two treasures from the supply.
--
(Rules clarification:  Yes, that's a negative coin value there.)

Norwegian Wood
$2 - Treasure
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
Worth $2 per card returned to the top of your deck this turn so far.

Come Together
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$1.
--
When you trash this, gain two cards whose total cost in coins equals up to $6.

Sergeant Pepper
$4 - Treasure
Trash a Treasure card from your hand. If you do, gain a [This Card] token.
Worth $1 for every [This Card] token you have.

Eleanor Rigby
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
When you gain this, set it aside; play it during the buy phase of your future turns.

Ticket To Ride
$3 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, trash a card in play that you own. +$ equal to half the cost in coins of the trashed card, rounded down.
--
(Rules clarification: If you trash a Duration card that you played this turn, you still get the next turn effect.)

Yesterday
$5 - Treasure
If you've played three or more actions this turn, this is worth $3, otherwise it's worth $1.

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
Place a Copper from your hand or the Copper supply on any non-empty supply pile.
--
When a player gains a card other than Copper from a supply pile, he gains all Coppers on that supply pile, as well.
--
(Rules clarification: You may place Coppers on the Copper supply pile. When a Copper is placed on a supply pile other than the Copper pile, place it horizontally so that the card names and costs below show.)

It's Only Love
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
Choose a Treasure card. Gain it. If it's a Silver or Copper, place it in hand.

She Loves You
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
Trash this. If you do, play a Treasure card from the supply other than [This Card]. Trash it.

All My Loving
$7 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $4
--
While this is in play, you may not buy Victory cards.
--
When this is in the Supply, the game ends after four piles are emptied, not three.

Please Please Me
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, it's worth an additional $1 per Estate missing from its Supply pile.

Help
$4 - Treasure
When you play this, you may place a Treasure from your hand on your [This Card] mat. If you do, this is worth $3; otherwise, return all Copper from your [This Card] mat to the top of your deck, and this is worth $0.
(Return any cards on your [This Card] mat to your deck at the end of the game.)

Drive My Car
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
While this is in play, when you buy a card, either gain it, or every other player gains a copy, your choice.

Cry Instead
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
Choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Buy; or +$1.

Hard Day's Night
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice.

Julia
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you play this you may buy a Treasure card. If you do: put it in play and +1 Buy.

Lucy
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal your hand.  +$1 per Victory card revealed.

Honey Don't
$3 - Treasure
Worth $2
When you play this, trash a Treasure you have in play, then gain a Treasure costing at most 3 less than the trashed Treasure and play it immediately.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] may trash itself, and must if no other Treasures are in play.)

Paperback Writer
$6 - Treasure
When you play this, you may immediately play an Action card from your hand.  This cannot cause you to play more than one Action card.
--
If you played an Action card with this, this is worth $1; otherwise, it is worth $2.
--
(Rules clarifications:  [This Card] allows you to play exactly one Action card in your Buy phase for each [This Card] played.  You receive no benefit from +Actions on the card played.  Throne Room, King's Court, Golem, and Procession all normally cause you to play another Action card; you receive no benefit from these cards because you may not play another Action card.)

Yellow Submarine
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, reveal up to 3 cards from the top of your deck, one at a time.  This is worth $1 for each Copper and Curse revealed.  The player to your left may choose one revealed card for you to discard.  Put the rest back on top in any order.
--
(Rules clarification: You reveal each card before deciding if you want to reveal another.)

Strawberry Fields
$3 - Treasure
Set aside a Victory card from your hand. This card is worth half the cost of that card (rounded up) in $, otherwise this is worth $0.
--
During your buy phase, you may buy any set aside Victory card at half its cost (rounded up) in $, you do not need to play this card to buy it.
--
When the game ends, any Victory cards that are still set aside by this card are not returned to your deck.
--
(Rules clarification: Getting back the Victory card works like buying it from supply, it uses a buy and you put it into the discard pile. You can just buy any Victory card you choose, provided that you can afford it and have enough buys. You can use multiple buys to gain as many Victory cards. You can put Vineyard aside, but it'll give you $0, and you can buy it back at $0.)

Penny Lane
$3 - Treasure
+$3
--
While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Curse.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:34:35 am by rinkworks »

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 04:41:59 pm »
+1

Huh. Lots of weird cards. ???

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 05:49:30 pm »
+1

Is Let It Be in the wrong contest?  It's a $2 Action, not a Treasure.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 06:32:54 pm »
+4

Is Let It Be in the wrong contest?  It's a $2 Action, not a Treasure.

eHalcyon, let it be.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 06:34:31 pm »
+2

Was the card Mean Mr Mustard submitted by the player Mean Mr Mustard?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 06:37:49 pm »

If I Fell
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
Setup: Add an extra kingdom card pile costing at least as $5 to the supply. Cards from that pile may only be bought if [This Card] is in play.

Needs to be $5, or else it's too often a no-brainer to buy this over regular Silver.

Ask My Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
Reveal the top card of your deck. You may discard it. If the discarded card is a Treasure, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

Hard to judge.  Fine, I think?

Tell Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, you may put a card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, this is worth $2.

Fine, I think.

Michelle
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

Eh?  I don't think a topdecked Silver is worth another Copper in the deck.  Why is there a buy restriction?  I can't think of any power combos that need restricting.

This would be most useful as a turn 1 buy, but Nomad Camp is much better.

Cry Baby Cry
$2 - Treasure
Worth $0
If you gain this during your turn, trash it. +2 Buys and gain three Coppers, putting them into play.
--

Weird.  And maybe too good with Aqua Vitae?  Won't hold that against it though.  I would like this better if the Copper went into hand, so that it could interact with Pawn Shop.

Wait
$5 - Treasure
Worth $4
--
While this is in play, you may not discard Treasure cards other than Copper from play until you have finished drawing.

What?  I don't understand this.  Finished drawing what?  Your next hand?  I suppose the intention is to make all your non-Copper treasure miss the forced reshuffle.

Not sure if that's enough to balance a $5 Treasure that is worth more than Gold.

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5

Yeah... cards that use fractional values just look like they're trying to be odd for the sake of being odd.  I haven't seen one where there's a good reason for it.

Something
$4 - Treasure
--
While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, you may gain an [This Card].

I think this is fine.

Good Night
$2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, you may trash it. If you do, it is worth $2. Otherwise, it is worth $1.
--

The Buy phase clause is really weird.  Is it always in effect?  On first read I thought that it would only apply on the turn you trashed it, which means it basically has no effect (since it would just cancel out your trashing bonus and use up your +Buy).

I don't know how I feel about the in-the-trash effect, but otherwise I think it's OK.  I think it could be worded better though.

Eight Days a Week
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal your hand. +$1 per revealed card that is not a Treasure.

Probably fine, I think.  Similar to Something (above).  Worth a little more, but you can't gain it for free.

I Feel Fine
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

Usually way better than Explorer.  Eh.

Lose That Girl
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
At the start of Clean-up, if you have this and no more than two other Treasure cards in play, you may put this on top of your deck.

Again, Silver-with-bonus rarely works at $4 because $4 is not much different than $3.

Also, this can replace Stash in a Scavenger combo and, at $4, it's way easier to set up.

Follow the Sun
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you shuffle, you may place any [This Card] cards horizontally at the bottom of your draw pile. During your turn, whenever you would draw a card, except for during your clean-up phase, you may draw a [This Card] instead from its horizontal position.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] has a unique yellow background, similar to Stash's red background. If you do not choose to draw this card at a unique time it will be drawn as a normal card.)

Fine, I think.  A little out there, but fine.

Can't Buy Me Love
$4 - Treasure
Worth $0

Drawing cards in the Buy phase isn't that amazing.

Girl
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

I don't like that it comes with +Buy.  Treasure is mostly equivalent to non-terminal.  These would stack so easily.  The mitigating factor is that they are fairly expensive and they don't help you build your deck.  But it makes me nervous.

Bulldog
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $3
-
When you discard this from play, if you have at least one unused buy, trash this and gain a Copper on top of your deck.

$3 Gold with +Buy is nuts.  The penalty doesn't hurt that much.  If for some reason you can't use your extra +Buy for legitimate reasons, you could just use it to buy a Copper and NOT have to trash this or topdeck that Copper.

Let It Be
$2 - Action
Discard an Estate and a Treasure from your hand; if you do, gain a Treasure card costing less than a Gold to your hand.
--

This is an action, not a treasure.

Hold Your Hand
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may set that card aside.  Return it to your deck at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarifications:  It is recommended to use the Island mat for cards set aside this way.)

I like this a lot.  It has great utility, but since it's a Copper you need to build around it -- that Copper isn't doing much to help you get to Province.

Day Tripper
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, discard your hand. If you discarded any cards this way, +$2.

This is usually a Gold.  You'll almost always have a dead card left over, and discarding it is not a penalty.  Therefore I think this is too strong.

Jude
$6 - Treasure
Worth $2
You may discard a non-Victory card from your hand. If you do, gain a copy of it.

Fine, I think.

Love Me Do
$3 - Treasure
If your [This Card] mat has no tokens on it, put 4 tokens on it. Otherwise, remove a token.

Well, that's really hard to judge.  Averages out at $2, assuming that you have to play it once for $0 in order to refill tokens.  But it does clump up and give you some really good hands early on.  Interesting.

Martha
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
+1 Action

Should cost $4 at least, because it acts as a Village-with-a-bonus.

Mean Mr. Mustard
$5 - Treasure
-$3
--

Too strong.  Gaining two Gold (or two PLATINA) is well worth skipping a Buy phase, and this doesn't even skip the Buy phase -- it just hurts it a little.

Norwegian Wood
$2 - Treasure

"So far" is not well defined.

Come Together
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

I think this might be too strong as a non-terminal trasher.  The most comparable card would be Loan, but Loan is always a Copper and can't trash Curses or Estates.

Sergeant Pepper
$4 - Treasure

Potentially too strong.  This beats out Pirate Ship in many ways:

- Treasure type (non-terminal)
- gain tokens far more reliably
- gain tokens AND produce money on the same play
- doesn't help your opponents by trashing their Copper

The main drawback here is that you'll need to pick up extra Copper or else they'll end up trashing each other on play.  But I think this far outclasses Pirate Ship.

Eleanor Rigby
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
When you gain this, set it aside; play it during the buy phase of your future turns.

Wording is really ambiguous.  Play it... in the next Buy phase?  In any future Buy phase that you choose?  In every future Buy phase?

Ticket To Ride
$3 - Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, trash a card in play that you own. +$ equal to half the cost in coins of the trashed card, rounded down.
--
(Rules clarification: If you trash a Duration card that you played this turn, you still get the next turn effect.)

Fine, I think.

Yesterday
$5 - Treasure
If you've played three or more actions this turn, this is worth $3, otherwise it's worth $1.

Weird in that it is a Treasure that wants an Engine.  Probably fine -- most engines are happy to take a few Gold.

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
Place a Copper from your hand or the Copper supply on any non-empty supply pile.
--
When a player gains a card other than Copper from a supply pile, he gains all Coppers on that supply pile, as well.
--
(Rules clarification: You may place Coppers on the Copper supply pile. When a Copper is placed on a supply pile other than the Copper pile, place it horizontally so that the card names and costs below show.)

This worries me but I can't quite articulate why.

It's Only Love
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0

Usually better than Explorer.  Freely gaining Platinum is too strong.

She Loves You
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
Trash this. If you do, play a Treasure card from the supply other than [This Card]. Trash it.

Ahh, $4 one-shot Platinum. :|

All My Loving
$7 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $4
--
--
When this is in the Supply, the game ends after four piles are emptied, not three.

What about in 5-6 player games, when the game ends on four piles anyway?

Please Please Me
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, it's worth an additional $1 per Estate missing from its Supply pile.

Hard to judge, but might be too strong.  Strategy is to load up on these and start draining Estates (even better with Baron, Watchtower).  Soon enough, all that junk doesn't matter because just one of these is enough to get you to Province, maybe even Colony -- especially with more than 2 players.

Help
$4 - Treasure
When you play this, you may place a Treasure from your hand on your [This Card] mat. If you do, this is worth $3; otherwise, return all Copper from your [This Card] mat to the top of your deck, and this is worth $0.

If you can keep matching it with Copper, this is really, really strong.  It's Gold that is also a non-terminal Copper trasher.  If it whiffs, you just get back the Copper you would have had anyway.  I would think that the Copper-pseudo-trashing sometimes makes this better than Gold...

Drive My Car
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
While this is in play, when you buy a card, either gain it, or every other player gains a copy, your choice.

Some version of this has been submitted before and I am still not a fan.  It's basically a non-terminal Curser!

Cry Instead
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
Choose one: $1 Card; or +1 Buy; or +$1.

Is "$1 Card" supposed to be "+1 Card"?

It is, again, a Silver with a bonus (in that it is always Silver if you want it to be, but gives more options).  Like the others, I think this should cost $5.

Hard Day's Night
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice.

Needs an Attack subtype.

I think this is a bit too similar to Crystal Ball and Spy.

Julia
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
When you play this you may buy a Treasure card. If you do: put it in play and +1 Buy.

Odd.  Seems OK though.

Lucy
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

Very similar to Something and Eight Days A Week.  I think I prefer Something, for being a little more unique in execution.

Honey Don't
$3 - Treasure
Worth $2
When you play this, trash a Treasure you have in play, then gain a Treasure costing at most 3 less than the trashed Treasure and play it immediately.
--
(Rules clarification: [This Card] may trash itself, and must if no other Treasures are in play.)

So let's say Gold is in play.

This card can be +$4, downgrade a Gold to Silver.  That's actually not that bad.

If Silver or itself is in play, this is +$3, downgrade Silver/itself to Copper.  Still not that bad.

Hard to judge this.  Maybe too strong.

What happens if you trash a Copper?  Just don't gain anything, I suppose.

Paperback Writer
$6 - Treasure
When you play this, you may immediately play an Action card from your hand.  This cannot cause you to play more than one Action card.
--
If you played an Action card with this, this is worth $1; otherwise, it is worth $2.
--
(Rules clarifications:  [This Card] allows you to play exactly one Action card in your Buy phase for each [This Card] played.  You receive no benefit from +Actions on the card played.  Throne Room, King's Court, Golem, and Procession all normally cause you to play another Action card; you receive no benefit from these cards because you may not play another Action card.)

Ehhhh.  Cards like this are always touchy.  This seems kind of weak, especially at $6, and I'm not a fan of the contradiction it creates when you play TR/KC/Golem/Proc even if it's covered by the rules clarification.

The main text is a little ambiguous.  From the clarification, it seems that it can't cause you to play more than one Action card PER [this card].  But it could just as easily be "no more than one action card this turn" or "this Buy phase", and those would be very different.

Yellow Submarine
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, reveal up to 3 cards from the top of your deck, one at a time.  This is worth $1 for each Copper and Curse revealed.  The player to your left may choose one revealed card for you to discard.  Put the rest back on top in any order.
--
(Rules clarification: You reveal each card before deciding if you want to reveal another.)

Maybe too much AP.  It can cause you to lose a key card and doesn't clear crap from the top.  If this gets a good play (that is, finds 3 Copper/Curses) then your next turn is probably not going to be so great.  And if it whiffs (finds all actions, silver?) it hurts even more.

Possibly valuable as a source of +Buy.  You can always choose to reveal fewer cards.

Potentially too strong in the early game, when your deck is mostly Copper.

And it feels a little too complicated, I think.

Strawberry Fields
$3 - Treasure
Set aside a Victory card from your hand. This card is worth half the cost of that card (rounded up) in $, otherwise this is worth $0.
--
During your buy phase, you may buy any set aside Victory card at half its cost (rounded up) in $, you do not need to play this card to buy it.
--
When the game ends, any Victory cards that are still set aside by this card are not returned to your deck.
--
(Rules clarification: Getting back the Victory card works like buying it from supply, it uses a buy and you put it into the discard pile. You can just buy any Victory card you choose, provided that you can afford it and have enough buys. You can use multiple buys to gain as many Victory cards. You can put Vineyard aside, but it'll give you $0, and you can buy it back at $0.)

That's... really, really weird.  But I think it works.  Huh.

Penny Lane
$3 - Treasure
+$3
--

Another take on Blood Money.  Still not a fan.  Really easy to abuse with Watchtower or Trader.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 06:46:47 pm »
+3

I'm not sure why there are cards using fractional values; there are reasons why Gardens is not worth 0.1 VP per card in deck, Silk Roads not 0.25 VP per Victory card in deck, Feoda not 0.33 VP per Silver in deck, etc.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 08:23:24 pm »

If I Fell
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--

It's an interesting idea, but unfortunately being a silverwithbonus at $4 means it's often not going to be that strategically interesting, as $4 hands aren't much more uncommon than $3 hands. Might make one $5+ a little more inaccessible, but again, unless that $5+ is something very important it's not going to matter much.

Ask My Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1

It's a copper with light sifting that can grab you Silvers. It's an interesting enough card, probably a supporter and not one to build a deck around, but getting a few of these will get you a LOT of silver. Still seems balanced, overall though.

Tell Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1

Copper which can become Silver. Only good if putting a card back is helpful. Probably a weak $2 but probably alright.

Michelle
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

So it's a copper that also gives you a silver on deck when you buy it. It's pretty much a gimped Nomad Camp, but a treasure and... possibly okay with T4B? Eh, not enough to be interesting.

Cry Baby Cry
$2 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

I'm not sure this wording would actually give you any money from the coppers (as you don't play them, you put them into play) but let's ignore that for a second. It seems that a lot of the time you won't ever actually have copies of these, you just have a 10-shot special button instead of a kingdom card. I think it seems okay, probably quite weak, but maybe an okay opener? Gives you 5/3 either way right?

Wait
$5 - Treasure
Worth $4
--

The wording here is more than a little wonky, but I think I get the idea. Still seems overpowered as an opener, a super Gold that immediately puts your deck into discard, making whatever you buy available in your deck. Later on it's probably balanced, but strong. Still overpowered overall I think.

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5

Heh. Clever but also silly. Sorry. When you think about it, this is pretty much just a much worse Fool's Gold.

Something
$4 - Treasure
--

My first thought was: "This doesn't seem like it'd ever be very good. Even with a mass-green strategy, you're unlikely to get much value out of this." But then I thought, this would be a very good card to have in an engine. It'd work a little like HoP I think. Getting a vote from me.

Good Night
$2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
--

Copper with buy or one shot Silver with buy. Really doesn't seem very interesting. The extra bit makes it cheaper to pick up, which means you can constantly use that extra $1 and extra buy to pick up another copy of it after you trash it. Er, yeah. Balanced but not interesting.

Eight Days a Week
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

Similar to Something, very good in Engines, but this is a little better elsewhere. Doesn't have the same HoP appeal though.

I Feel Fine
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

Silver generator which attacks if it's trashed. Alright. As eHalc said, usually better than Explorer, but that's not saying much. Doesn't excite me.

Lose That Girl
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--

See eHalc's comments. This plus two other copies of it getting to $6 repeatedly so easily as well isn't good.

Follow the Sun
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

Hm, it's an interesting benefit for a copper. I don't think it'd be that good, but it'd be a nice deck smoother. Unfortunately I think it would slow things down too much, or I'd give it a vote as something interesting.

Can't Buy Me Love
$4 - Treasure
Worth $0

This is how we don't make cards, people. Make it +3 Cards and it'd be maybe better than Silver, but +2 cards means you'd need a deck value better than $1 in terms of treasure only for it to be, and that's not happening in any Province and and due to a focus on actions, probably not in many Colony games either. Also has the redundant 'when you play this' wording.

Girl
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

I want to make some Harem joke regarding this card, since there's some similarities and this is called Girl, but... it's an interesting card. The trick is getting a lot of them at once, and as a $6, that's hard. Would probably be a very good $6, especially consider having two or more of these. I'm going to assume '... But not less than $0' was intended, otherwise, we have silliness.

Bulldog
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $3
-

I think Bulldog is slightly apt here. Seems likely to be very good in an Engine and when there are cheap spammable cards in the kingdom (especially $2's), but otherwise pretty meh. Still probably very strong as an opener. Too strong, actually... open with two of these and you have $13 of treasure over 12 cards. Okay, you're probably picking up a few extra Coppers, but you're also probably getting at least one Gold.

Let It Be
$2 - Action
--

Costing less than a Gold is pretty interesting wording, but I guess it makes sense to use if you don't want this to combo with Bridge and the like (not sure why that's a major issue though). And it comes with an Estate, which makes it more likely to work. Oh, and it's an Action. I hope that's a mistake, but the card doesn't really seem like a Treasure...

Hold Your Hand
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
--

Obviously the bonus should be used on Victory cards. Amazing in Engines, which can simply green indefinitely, less good elsewhere, as when this turns up, you're going to struggle more to hit a good number. Would let you grab Duchies and the like a tad earlier, mind you. I quite like it, lots of possibilities.

Day Tripper
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1

Usually a Gold, almost certainly at least Silver (if it isn't, you usually have $9+ anyway). Seems a touch too good.

Jude
$6 - Treasure
Worth $2

Ooh, that could be good. But probably not overpowered, a little like Hoard really. Very good if you have a dead action, still decentish on Silvers and good on Gold and Platinum. I like a lot.

Love Me Do
$3 - Treasure

So this is worth $4 then $3 then $2 then $1. Far too good. Firstly it averages better than a Silver, and secondly it's a $4 for $3 the first time you play it, and early turns are more important.
The above is when I forget the golden rule of Dominion of doing everything in order. Hm, getting $0 at first is a real kicker, but actually makes it interesting. First time $0, but next time $4. That's actually probably a little worse than Silver normally but there's potential to use it in interesting ways.

Martha
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
+1 Action

I could imagine this having a long rules clarification, but ultimately this is basically a village with +$1 instead of +1 coin, and any treasure in action phase shenanigans. Oh and any drawing-dead shenanigans. I like the idea but I'd rather see it as a genuine village (action card).

Mean Mr. Mustard
$5 - Treasure
-$3
--

Too good. Get one on the second reshuffle, on the third reshuffle you get two Golds or better. And possibly still buy a Silver or something.

Norwegian Wood
$2 - Treasure

It's something you'd need to keep track of, which is a little ugly, and the strategic interest isn't enough to overcome that fact to me.

Come Together
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

The trashing benefit seems good as an early trasher, better than Salvager and as it's non-terminal probably better than Moneylender or really any current $4 (that's not necessarily making it overpowered though, as it does get worse later). However, two of these colliding seems really good, you get $2 this turn and a Gold and Copper at worst (usually that's better than two Silvers especially as you have something which likes trashing Copper in deck!)

Sergeant Pepper
$4 - Treasure

*Puts the SPLHCB album on* Seems like a super Pirate Ship. You get the benefit of the trashing and the masses of money AND you can do both at once. Too good, basically. I think most games with these in them will be a case of 'mass this card' with a little grabbing Copper maybe once or twice.

Eleanor Rigby
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

Hm, interesting, one shot Market when you want it but then a copper with Buy in your deck. I like it, seems generally weak but the potential to be strong in a sensible engine.

Ticket To Ride
$3 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

Can't trash Estates and gets nothing from trashing Coppers except the value of playing the copper. Turns anything into a potential One-Shot but overall, doesn't seem too great. Again, weak but has a lot of potential in the right place.

Yesterday
$5 - Treasure

Harder to activate than Conspirators because it's not an action itself, and if you do activate it, it's only a Gold. Seems very weak and getting slightly cheap Golds doesn't seem very exciting.

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

Uh, surely it's MORE important to place coppers on the Copper pile horizontally so you know how many are IN and how many are ON the copper pile? Otherwise, this is an interesting Embargo like card. I quite like it.

It's Only Love
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0

Bag of Gold without top-decking but with other bonuses. Too strong, especially in Colony games.

She Loves You
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1

Normally a one shot $4 with a buy but sometimes a one shot $6 with a buy. Very strong as an opener and in Colony games (and put both together... eesh). Also doesn't seem very exciting.

All My Loving
$7 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $4
--
--

Hm, the last condition is interesting but overcomplicates things, I think? Otherwise this is a tricky card, very good in building engines, but otherwise very poor (by the time you're grabbing a $7 you're probably also about to start greening). It... just doesn't excite me.

Please Please Me
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1

I don't understand this. Define 'missing'. Are there 6 missing at the start of a 2p game because they're in decks? Maybe 4 missing because it's not a 3p game? Also requires a lot of counting, which is a shame as it could be interesting.

Help
$4 - Treasure

Basically, this is an (almost) strictly better Moneylender. Pass.

Drive My Car
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

Hm, potential to be interesting. It's essentially an attack. At worst in fact this is a copper which gives out curses and switches to coppers when the curse pile runs out. That's enough to definitely make it a strong $5, and the fact you can combo with extra +buys makes it probably the best $5 there would be. Except it's a $4 and it just doesn't seem very fun.

Cry Instead
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

Silver with a benefit, but it's a very small benefit. Not sure what $1 card is supposed to be, I presume either +1 card or gain a card costing up to $1? Alright. I'm on the edge so I won't give it a point, because just being a $4 Silver+ is really bad.

Hard Day's Night
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1

It's Spy as a treasure. Yawn.

Julia
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

Very unusual. The more I think the more possibilities I consider. I really like this. It's certainly not overpowered, but it has strategic and tactical possibilities.

Lucy
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

There was another card like this, but that one was more interesting in my opinion.

Honey Don't
$3 - Treasure
Worth $2
--

I was going to say better than Silver at $3, but then I realised it isn't. Except, uh, it kinda almost is as a Copper trasher. And when it's done, it becomes a one shot Gold. So seems a little too good I think.

Paperback Writer
$6 - Treasure
--
--

Doesn't seem very strong except to enable Tactician, and I can't off the top of my head see the need to play only one card. So I don't like it.

Yellow Submarine
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
--

Seems extremely weak. Rarely going to be better than a Silver, usually worse AND you lose a good card from your deck. The extra buy doesn't make up for it.

Strawberry Fields
$3 - Treasure
--
--
--

So I can set aside Estates for $1 and later rebuy them for $1. Interesting. Or set aside a Province for $4 and later rebuy it for $4 again (i.e. on a bad hand), but from the way it's worded, I assume anyone else could buy the set aside $4 Province, as it doesn't seem to suggest everyone has their own pile of set aside cards. Either way, seems too complex really, although interesting.

Penny Lane
$3 - Treasure
+$3
--

Need a new Dominion treasure? Why not Zoidberg Blood Money? In seriousness, this seems like probably the best implementation of it I've seem in a while. Seems generally weakish, but good very early, and good if you can deal with the curses. The main issue is that once curses start going, nobody has any reason to not pick one up. Or as many as are in the pile.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:28:05 am by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 08:41:18 pm »

Please Please Me
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1

Hard to judge, but might be too strong.  Strategy is to load up on these and start draining Estates (even better with Baron, Watchtower).  Soon enough, all that junk doesn't matter because just one of these is enough to get you to Province, maybe even Colony -- especially with more than 2 players.
I think equal opportunity fixes this balance issue, but makes the card less valuable because one player can't afford to buy out Estates to make Please Please Mes more valuable because the other player will simply buy them himself and get the same benefit but without the clogging Estates. Since the person trying to make Please Please Mes more valuable will always be in a worse spot than the player simply mooching off the other, no one will buy this card.

Strawberry Fields
$3 - Treasure
--
--
--
Assuming the set aside cards are only available for the player of the particular Strawberry Fields, I think this is my favorite card of the ones in this ballot-- though I must confess that I can't imagine myself being happier with its actual name rather than "Strawberry Fields."
It's such a fruity name for such a fruity card.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2129
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 09:18:40 pm »

I think people are misunderstanding Day Tripper. You can't play more than one in a turn, which is a non trivial penalty, and there's plenty of occasions when you won't have any dead cards in your hand, especially with trashing. It's a very strong card, but I think $5 is right.

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 10:01:49 pm »

Shouldn't Strawberry Fields have a mat?

Please Please Me
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1

I think equal opportunity fixes this balance issue, but makes the card less valuable because one player can't afford to buy out Estates to make Please Please Mes more valuable because the other player will simply buy them himself and get the same benefit but without the clogging Estates. Since the person trying to make Please Please Mes more valuable will always be in a worse spot than the player simply mooching off the other, no one will buy this card.

Yeah, it's the same issue Trade Route and Forager have. How do they get away with it? Well they both only cost $3, and they both give +Buy. Forager offers some weak benefit (light trashing) to the first player who commits to it. (TR trashes too but you don't necessarily commit to TR by buying one right off the bat). Trade Route mainly shines in games where people WANT to buy a bunch of Victory cards for unrelated reasons. Anyway I don't see how Please Please Me has anything to recommend it in this regard.

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

I'm really not sure about this. It's in that twilight zone of deck thinners where it's bad enough to ruin your hands, but not strong enough to make up for it with a thin deck later. I mean hell, either you get rid of a Copper (so it's -$1 as well as +$1) or else you don't (and it's +$1). It's like Loan if you had to choose between the $1 or the trashing! Minus deck cycling!

The attack seems quite weak: less nasty than a Ruins and very likely to take effect one shuffle later than if you'd just handed them a Copper. And in multiplayer it is going to be just awful since each Copper can only go to one person and the other guys get off scot free. So that's pretty worthless and also highly political if you do play it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:42:27 pm by RD »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 10:13:21 pm »

I think people are misunderstanding Day Tripper. You can't play more than one in a turn, which is a non trivial penalty, and there's plenty of occasions when you won't have any dead cards in your hand, especially with trashing. It's a very strong card, but I think $5 is right.

The only time it isn't a Gold is when you manage to play every single card in your hand.  More often than not it will be Gold.  The fact that you can't play more than one just means you can buy one and leave it at that.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:21 am »

Due to time constraints, I'm only going to comment on my four favorites and my single least favorite card in the competition.  Disclaimer: One of these is mine.

First, my least favorite is aptly named.

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5

This is terrible.  The first one is (effectively) a Copper.  The second one is a Silver.  The third one is a Copper.  The fourth... a Silver.... as others have mentioned, this is much worse than Fool's Gold.  Fractional Treasure is cute, but this card is ugly.  Bad idea.

Tell Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1

I like the topdecking bonus.  Plus, topdecking is a bonus unto itself.  This could be fun to play.

Something
$4 - Treasure
--

I like the synergy with Victory cards, and the fact that this is when gain with victory cards.  Plus, one of my favorite things to do is to make Estates valuable.  This does so in a way that's not too crazy.  A combo I'd like to try is Crossroads-Something... with some source of +Buy (Wharf with +Buy and draw would be awesome).  This opens up some interesting possibilities.

Girl
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

This is crazy stackable if you can get multiples in play at once, but anyone who has tried to get Grand Markets by playing Quarries alone knows that it's pretty hard to get two cards like this together (no guarantee anyway).  It is (much) better than Gold in the endgame, but worse than Gold when building your deck.  Getting full advantage from it would require planning.  Without support (Herbalist, +Cards, other good money), it might not be worth giving up a Gold to buy it.  Interesting tensions.  It has the forgivable error of leaving off the "but not less than $0"... easy fix.

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

This is probably my favorite.  The card is simultaneously a way to get rid of Coppers from your hand, and a way to softly Embargo supply piles.  It seems like Walrus would be an effective junker to strategies that rely on thin decks.  I'd be placing Coppers on the Minion pile all day.  It also might work as a counter to itself because Walrus helps get rid of Coppers (without too much opportunity cost). 

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 12:42:08 am »
+3

I'm not sure why there are cards using fractional values; there are reasons why Gardens is not worth 0.1 VP per card in deck, Silk Roads not 0.25 VP per Victory card in deck, Feoda not 0.33 VP per Silver in deck, etc.

Just like there were reasons for cards having only one type originally? for not having $1 or $7 cards? I'm all for playing within established design rules, but if it's interesting and seems to work, I say go for it!

I would be curious to hear your reasons why fractions are always bad, though. It can't be that adding halves is difficult. Bishop asks you to divide by two and round down....

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 12:53:32 am »

Just like there were reasons for cards having only one type originally? for not having $1 or $7 cards? I'm all for playing within established design rules, but if it's interesting and seems to work, I say go for it!

I would be curious to hear your reasons why fractions are always bad, though. It can't be that adding halves is difficult. Bishop asks you to divide by two and round down....

Agreed.  As long as we stick to halves, it seems like an OK concept -- but it still needs to be well executed.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 03:46:18 am »

What is the point of a fraction if having $0.5 to spend is the same thing as having $0? Might as well think of something more clever that uses integers and does approximately the same thing.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 07:20:13 am »

Don't know if speculating on the authors is accepted (otherwise just delete), but Something combos quite well with Scout...

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 07:41:41 am »

Round up of errata...

(1) I had the entries Let It Be from this contest and Surfin' Safari from #15 swapped.  I've fixed the original ballots.

(2) The author of Strawberry Fields wishes to clarify that each player has his own set-aside area that only he may buy from.

(3) The author of Eleanor Rigby wishes to fix a wording mistake.  The last line of the card should have read "When you gain this, set it aside; play it during the buy phase of any one of your future turns."  Since in this case the mistake wasn't mine, and it's after the deadline, I didn't think it was right to change the ballot.  However, let's call it a "rules clarification."  It's up to the individual voter whether to take this clarification of the author's intent for the card into account when voting.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 08:23:19 am »

I am now imagining crazy combos with Golem, Black Market, Day Tripper, and some draw-up-to-n-cards card like Library. It could work nicely.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 09:39:08 am »
+3

By the way, you don't know how hard it was to resist the temptation to use "I'm a Loser" as one of the pseudonyms.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 10:34:52 am »

Fixed "$1 Card" (should have been "+1 Card") on Cry Instead.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 11:36:02 am »

Note: one of these is mine. Hey, if other entrants can stealthily and shamelessly self-promote their stuff, why can't I?  ;)

If I Fell
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--

Depends on the $5+ added. If it's something useless (Farmland, Counting House, Horn of Plenty on a non-engine board), you'll just have two piles gathering dust. If it's something amazing (Mountebank, King's Court, City with easily-depleted piles), $4 Silvers would be very easily worth the investment.

Ask Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1

First, I fixed the title. Second, a slightly-sifty Copper with a little Silver-power seems a little weak, but it has its uses. As a fan of Gardens, I would like this.

Tell Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1

Fitting name for an opposite of Ask Me Why. You put on your deck instead of discarding from your deck, and you get the bonus cash now instead of later. There are many, many times when I would want this over Silver.

Michelle
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

Not a fan of the Copper Bureaucrat with no attack and a slight penalty. Next!

Cry Baby Cry
$2 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

But you can GAIN more than one copy per turn, right? Workshop/Gardens, you have a new friend!

Wait
$5 - Treasure
Worth $4
--

A super-powerful Treasure that bans itself and any other good Treasures from your next deck, eh? Marginally worth it in Big Money, but with a good deck-draw engine and trashing, you can easily get those into your hand every turn with minimal penalty. Possibly too good.

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5

Someone's a fan of Unglued/Unhinged, am I right?

Something
$4 - Treasure
--

This is something, all right... as are two other cards in this contest. This one does not have the automatic $1, but it does have a Duchess-like self-gain feature making this a good card for (you guessed it) Gardens games.

Good Night
$2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
--

Other than shenanigans with Market Square (trash this, discard MS for Gold, buy something leaving $1, buy this out of trash), I'm not seeing much of a point.

Eight Days a Week
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

Not as synergetic (is that a word? well, it is now  ;D) as Something (what thing? something! WHAT THING?! SOMETHING!! </Abbott and Costello>), but certainly more powerful on a regular basis. Perhaps too powerful...

I Feel Fine
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

Sorry, but I don't feel fine about this. Even if it helps Gardens a little, a $5 Silver with a weak one-shot faux-Cursing ability doesn't do it for me.

Lose That Girl
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--

Walled Silver! Get three of these, and Duke games are yours. Too powerful, methinks.

Follow the Sun
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

Naturally, boards without +Card render this expensive Copper useless. Also, the idea of reducing dead draws is noble, but you'd have to be in the deadman's land between Big Money and reliable draw engine for it to be of use.

Can't Buy Me Love
$4 - Treasure
Worth $0

Big Money, here I come! With any good number of Actions, no thank you.

Girl
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

Four of these equal five Provinces. If you have the power to get those four in your hand at once, game over.

Bulldog
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $3
-

I love it when cards make +Buy worse. If one can avoid +Buy from other sources (or is playing Gardens), this is not bad. Otherwise, blech.

Let It Be
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
If you have one of these cards in play, gain a Silver during your buy phase; or if you have two or more of these cards in play gain a Gold during your buy phase.

You need to gain three of these in order to go for Gold, and you'll have to play all three to get it. Not worth it. I'm letting this one be.

Hold Your Hand
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
--

Very appropriate title, rinkworks! And my beloved Gardens now has pottery to keep the flowers from choking out my vegetables. Hmm, possibly a little too shenaniganny (another word that needs to exist).

Day Tripper
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1

Unless you enter your Buy phase with an all-Treasure hand, this is a Gold. But you can only use one, of course. Not sure I like it.

Jude
$6 - Treasure
Worth $2

A Hoard for dead Actions. Situational at best.

Love Me Do
$3 - Treasure

I assume this goes $0, $4, $3, $2, $1, $0, $4... right? A very variable Silver, basically. A double Love Me Do opening seems to have slightly better rewards than double Silver, but the variability of the card keeps it from being too overpowered.

Martha
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
+1 Action

I always wanted to see a card able to restart the Action phase. Sort of an after-the-fact Fishing Village. Not bad.

Mean Mr. Mustard
$5 - Treasure
-$3
--

Who cares if it's a nega-Gold? Two Platinums or Golds! Too powerful.

Norwegian Wood
$2 - Treasure

The more you Bureaucrat yourself, the stronger this gets. Depends on how badly you can Bureaucrat yourself, but could be pretty good.

Come Together
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

An early Silver with trashing, and it can trash a copy of itself so the extra ability isn't completely useless in many games. I like it.

Sergeant Pepper
$4 - Treasure

Assuming you have to reveal a Treasure-free hand if you have one. Hard to play multiples of this for that reason, but has the potential to become frackin' powerful too easily.

Eleanor Rigby
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--
When you gain this, set it aside; play it during the buy phase of (any of) your future turns.

Will just clog your deck after you use it, but lets you premiere it when you really need it. Has potential. Also, Gardens booster!

Ticket To Ride
$3 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

An in-play half-Salvager without the +Buy. Can't trash Estates. Pass.

Yesterday
$5 - Treasure

A Gold in an engine deck, a Copper in a BM deck. I don't believe in Yesterday.

Walrus
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

Something of an Embargo variant, but could almost be more fun. Watchtower and Trader, of course, make this pointless, but this is a card I'd like to try.

It's Only Love
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0

Free Platinums! Instant $2 if I need it. Can gain itself for major shenanigans. Might be a little too powerful.

She Loves You
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1

In Colony games, this is basically a one-shot Colony. Province games reduce its viability well enough, but its dominance with Colony is too much for me.
Sorry, read that as "play twice." My bad. Still a little powerful in Platinum games, but certainly not as crazy as I mistakenly thought it was.

All My Loving
$7 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $4
--
--

Other than VP chips, what's the point?

Please Please Me
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1

How does this work with Ambassadoring? Also, could be too easy to super-power this baby.

Help
$4 - Treasure

Basically, it nets you a Silver for ridding yourself of a Copper. Once your Coppers are gone, this card becomes mostly useless aside from TFB or a possible guaranteed Duchy. Very powerful opening card for sure, anyway.

Drive My Car
$4 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

Non-Attack Curser at $4 = too powerful.

Cry Instead
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

It's a Silver or a Copper with +Buy or a risky Venture. I think it's fine at $4 -- offers choice without being too crazy.

Hard Day's Night
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1

Copper Spy. Meh.

Julia
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

Depending on how much you have leftover when you buy that Treasure, this could be really good. Definitely a powerful BM card.

Lucy
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

It's Something with the guaranteed $1 but not the gaining ability. Something is more interesting, but I think this is better balanced.

Honey Don't
$3 - Treasure
Worth $2
--

A Copper-trashing Silver that will most likely become a Copper itself once you're done. Also has the power to boost your coinage in crucial endgame situations. Too much better than Loan for the price.

Paperback Writer
$6 - Treasure
--
--

Like Martha, but other than being a Silver if you don't use the extra Action, is weaker.

Yellow Submarine
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
--

Semi-decent soft counter for Mountebank games, but otherwise just too risky.

Strawberry Fields
$3 - Treasure
--
--
--

A restricted half-Salvager with the option of getting those Victory cards back. A little complicated, but the idea isn't bad. Strawberry Fields a Province to buy another Province, then buy that first Province back later for a $4er. Perhaps a little too good in that sense, though the risk isn't minute.

Penny Lane
$3 - Treasure
+$3
--

Blood Money returns. And I still don't care for it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:41:15 pm by Tejayes »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 12:20:50 pm »

If I Fell
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--

Well, I like this. Quite a bit, actually.

Ask My Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1

It's fine, just not that exciting to me. It synergizes with itself a little too easily.

Tell Me Why
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1

I guess it's just me, but I don't love seeing the "put cards from your hand back into your deck" mechanic.

Michelle
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

A $4 Copper that gives you something that prevents you from buying this card? Not like you would even want this card, really. It's just too weak.

Cry Baby Cry
$2 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

Does it count if you buy it at the end of your turn? I guess so, that's still your turn. Though it doesn't seem like a huge boon to do that. I would say this is going to be useless too much of the time, despite having a cool number of buys. Squire exists now, people.

Wait
$5 - Treasure
Worth $4
--

I'm having trouble judging this, but a $5 Treasure worth $4 is probably just way too strong, regardless of this supposed penalty.

Nowhere Man
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1.5

I don't have such a problem with this. It's not my favorite thing, but it's kind of clever.
Something
$4 - Treasure
--

As for Something...
Don't know if speculating on the authors is accepted (otherwise just delete), but Something combos quite well with Scout...
... I have no comment on this theory.

Good Night
$2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
--

Cute! Hard to tell if it's practical. Actually, it's probably too good, relative to Silver.

Eight Days a Week
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1

Too similar to Poor House, right?

I Feel Fine
$5 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

I think this will not be a priority $5. I would judge it unfavorably against Royal Seal, Stash, Cache, and Horn of Plenty...

Lose That Girl
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--

Fine, but like I said, this mechanic bores me.

Follow the Sun
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
--

Interesting, but possibly not worth $3.

Can't Buy Me Love
$4 - Treasure
Worth $0

Well that's an odd one. Very hard to judge.

Girl
$6 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

Cool! I've often thought of something like this. Probably an acceptable card to try out the concept.

Bulldog
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $3
-

Too strong, despite the restriction... I think.
Let It Be
$2 - Action
--
(Had this user's #15 and #16 entries swapped.  The correct entry for this challenge is:)

Let It Be
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

But it's going to be harder to buy Gold, because you bought 2 expensive Coppers. So I don't love this.

Hold Your Hand
$4 - Treasure
+$1
--
--

I kind of like this.
Day Tripper
$5 - Treasure
Worth $1

That's fine.

Jude
$6 - Treasure
Worth $2

This is also fine. Semi-interesting. You can Jester yourself! $6 might actually be too steep for it. Well, maybe not.

Love Me Do
$3 - Treasure

Hm. So the first time you play it, nothing (not tokens yet). Then, $4. Then, $3... and so on, back to nothing. That's interesting, in a way.

Martha
$3 - Treasure
Worth $1
+1 Action

Uh, what?

Mean Mr. Mustard
$5 - Treasure
-$3
--

Miss that guy. Fine card.

Norwegian Wood
$2 - Treasure

Still don't like this mechanic.

Come Together
$4 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

A bit boring.

Sergeant Pepper
$4 - Treasure

This is probably too strong.

Eleanor Rigby
$3 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Worth $1
--

Which future turns? Every one? Duration? Wording issues here.

Ticket To Ride
$3 - Treasure
Worth $0
--

Too fancy.

I will have to look at the rest later. That sure is a lot of cards!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 12:38:12 pm »

I will Pillage pin all of you in your nightmares if you vote basically-strictly-better-than-Explorer as the winner.  Surely Jack teaches us that gaining Silver is a good effect.

Or consider this folks.  Gather round and listen.  We have 5$ Silver variants, like Royal Seal and Stash.  And they will be strictly better than Silver, and that's ok.  But they are never as good as two Silvers.  Paying 5$ for 2 Silvers is too strong.  That's why Cache gains two Coppers, not one.  If Cache gained one Copper, the mean value of the treasures gained would be 2$, and it would be a 5$ pair of Silvers.

This is a Silver, and if you are going to play it at least twice, it is 3 Silvers.

Ok, it's delayed so that's not a super parallel comparison.  But look.  If you vote this card in, I'm flying to all your houses and bringing mockups and opening Smithy/Silver and buying this until you cry.  It's not just nonterminal Explorer it's dead drawable Explorer.  It's a nonterminal, dead drawable Haggler.  And man is Haggler a strong 5.
Don't do this guys come on.  Think of the children. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 20 queries.