Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #15: $2 Card!  (Read 29644 times)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #15: $2 Card!
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:25:03 am »
+3

Submission Rules

* Submit no more than one card per person per challenge.  You do not need to submit for all challenges if you don't want to, but of course you can't win if you don't compete.
* Submit your cards to me via this forum's messaging system.  Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
* Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
* Although you must submit names for each of your cards, the names will not be listed on the voting ballots, so make sure your card's appeal does not depend on your choice of name.
* I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.  That is, don't tell me "Oh, can you make that +2 Cards say +3 Cards instead?"  Just resubmit the full card.
* Only submit cards that are your own design.
* You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.  This applies to cards previously posted, however -- if your submissions aren't already posted on his board, please refrain from doing so until after the results have been announced.
* A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series.  However, you may not submit the same card for more than one concurrent challenge.  That is, if you have submitted a card to one challenge, you may not submit it to another challenge until the results of that first challenge have been announced.
* Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere

--

The deadline for this week's challenges is Monday, September 17, at 10am EDT.

--

Challenge #15 - $2 Card

Objective: Create a card costing $2.

Official Examples: Chapel, Cellar, Courtyard, Pawn, and many others.

Official Non-Examples: Peddler, because although it can cost $2, it does not always cost $2.

--

The Ballot
The Results
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:14:47 pm by rinkworks »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #15: $2 Card!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:29:33 am »

Excellent! We need another cheap card :)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:34:34 am »
+3

A few words about $2 cards.  I personally find these to be the hardest to create, because they have to be weak (or, more accurately, not strictly equal or better than any cards costing more), and yet powerful enough that you might actually want to buy them sometimes.

Duchess is an instructive case in point:  It's basically a terminal Silver that does nothing else (the spy effects are the same for every player, only situationally better for the player and as likely to be weaker, so they cancel out in terms of power level).  That's flawlessly balanced at $2, but as there are virtually always better alternatives and more desirable terminals, how often do you even want it for free?  If you'd want a Duchess at $2, you'd probably prefer to wait and pick up a Swindler with $3 or a Militia with $4 or a Jester with $5.

Consequently, most $2 cards have some sort of unique behavior that makes them desirable.  Embargo, Haven, Moat, Native Village, and others all have effects that no other card does.  If you want their effects, you have to get those cards.  You can't hold out for a better version at a higher cost tier.

Other $2 cards do common things, like Chapel (trashing) and Courtyard (drawing), but still manage to do it in a way that more expensive alternatives can't quite manage.  Steward, for example, does things other than trashing, but it doesn't trash as much as Chapel does.  Smithy draws more cards than Courtyard, but it doesn't let you smooth out your draws by putting a card back.

Nothing in this post should be considered authoritative -- it's just my view of $2 cards as a spectator -- but perhaps these will be good thoughts to keep in mind when designing for this challenge.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:56:01 pm »

The $2 cards are among the most interesting in all of Dominion, because when you DO use them, you probably have a good reason and this makes it all the more fun.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4442
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 01:28:14 pm »

Embargo, Haven, Moat, Native Village, and others all have effects that no other card does.

(Well, Lighthouse has the same effect as Moat—but it's also a $2 card.)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 03:01:03 pm »

Embargo, Haven, Moat, Native Village, and others all have effects that no other card does.

Kiiiind of.  The timing is different, and the knowledge opponents have of whether or not you can block the attack is different.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 03:04:49 pm »

If he's being pedantic, he is correct though.  The "immune to attack" effect is carried by the card. 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 03:05:01 pm »

Kiiiind of.  The timing is different, and the knowledge opponents have of whether or not you can block the attack is different.

As is the ability to choose whether you block the attack.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 05:18:09 pm »

As is the ability to choose whether you block the attack.
Yeah, there have been times when I wished I hadn't played a Lighthouse on an opponent's Minion.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 05:26:09 pm »

Hmmm.... I was creating a set blueprint that was trying to cover the remaining bases. I created two versions of an Action-Reaction at 2 and 3, but I liked the 3 much better so I am not submitting the other. I also made a $2 Treasure, but it was awful... The only card left in my blueprint is a 7 cost action. I submitted a new design here and I have no clue on the Treasure. I have to this point submitted to every contest except the Treasure one, so I will keep thinking.

Edit: GAHH!! I made a Reaction card that reacted to certain thing on some Attacks and non-Attacks and realized it wouldn't react to anything currently in the set. I think it is a wonderful card, but I will have to come up with yet another $2 for this contest.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:17:55 pm by One Armed Man »

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:34:24 pm »
+1

Aw man, I have an idea for a $2 Treasure :P

I'm afraid that if I submit to people would say "Good card, but why isn't it in (insert other card contest here)?"

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 07:35:58 pm »
+1

Aw man, I have an idea for a $2 Treasure :P

I'm afraid that if I submit to people would say "Good card, but why isn't it in (insert other card contest here)?"

See what else you come up with and submit it to the one that you don't have something else for.

Or, submit it to Treasure because I don't think the set needs FOUR alt treasure cards! ;)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 09:18:00 pm »

First too many Victory cards, now too many Treasure cards? I have to disagree. As long as the cards are interesting, I'm open for more!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 09:21:46 pm »

First too many Victory cards, now too many Treasure cards? I have to disagree. As long as the cards are interesting, I'm open for more!

Well I don't know, it just feels that way to me.  I think we should have mostly action cards!  But this is just how I vote.  Everyone has their own voting criteria.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 11:19:44 pm »

Well I don't know, it just feels that way to me.  I think we should have mostly action cards!  But this is just how I vote.  Everyone has their own voting criteria.

Normal sets have primarily Action cards. I'd think it would be cool if this set's theme was Treasure and Victory Cards, with Copper and Alternate Victory strategies as 2 sub themes that extend from the main themes.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:23:08 pm »

Normal sets have primarily Action cards. I'd think it would be cool if this set's theme was Treasure and Victory Cards, with Copper and Alternate Victory strategies as 2 sub themes that extend from the main themes.

Fair point, hm.  Time to submit Treasure-Victory cards?

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 11:24:46 pm »

Fair point, hm.  Time to submit Treasure-Victory cards?

Too bad the Dual Type contest has passed :(

But then again, you did win ;)

Adrienaline

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 01:27:30 am »

There's no reason not to do a $2 treasure/victory for the challenge though. It'd be tough to balance, mind.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 07:48:51 am »
+2

At breakfast this morning my wife suggested I submit the following card to this contest:

Stylist
$2 - Action-Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player must dye their hair pink.

EDIT: Fixed type.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:26:26 am by Schneau »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 08:25:30 am »
+2

At breakfast this morning my wife suggested I submit the following card to this contest:

Stylist
$2 - Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player must dye their hair pink.

FTFY

dnkywin

• Scout
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 09:11:05 pm »
+8

Advance
$2 - Action

+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards into your hand. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 09:12:33 pm »
+4

Advance
$2 - Action

+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards into your hand. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.

I think this is overpriced.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2126
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 01:59:06 am »

Can you do cards with buy conditions like Grand Market?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 08:52:18 am »

Can you do cards with buy conditions like Grand Market?
Don't see why not, but remember that $2 cards are easy to Gain in other ways (Workshop, Ironworks, University (if actions), Mine (if treasures), Remodel etc).
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »
+2

Here is the ballot for Challenge #15!

--

Voting Rules:

Each person may cast votes as follows:  For each Challenge, you may fill your ballot out in one of two ways:

(1) Award 3 points to one entry.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.
(2) Award 2 points to each of two entries.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.

Submit your votes via PM to me by Monday, September 24, 2012, 10am EDT in the following format:

Challenge 1

3 CardName
1 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName
1 AnotherCardNameGoesHereToo

Challenge 2

2 CardName
2 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName

Please use the above format!  One card per line, with the number of votes given before it, and no extra punctuation or anything.  This will make it easy for me to copy-and-paste your votes into the format my vote-counting script needs it to be in.

Do not submit votes for your own cards.  (If you do, my script will catch you anyway.)

By submitting vote(s) for a challenge, you will automatically earn 1 point for your entry in that challenge.  This is to incentivize contestants to submit votes.  (My script does this automatically, so don't worry that I'll forget to do this.)

Note that the supplied card names are for discussion/identification only -- they are not the card names that were submitted to me.  The proper card names will be revealed when the results are announced.  Whenever card text says "[This Card]" it means the submitted text says the card's own name there.

Inclusion on the ballot means that the card was deemed eligible for the contest.  You therefore do not need to consider eligibility when voting.  In some cases, this may mean a pretty loose interpretation of the eligibility requirements.  I tried to be fair but also forgiving when a submission came in that twisted the rules in a way I hadn't foreseen.

As a voter, you may use whatever criteria you wish in determining what your votes will be.  Be as forgiving or particular as you like concerning conformance to standard Dominion terminology.   For all winning cards, there will be a chance to tweak the wording as a community, if necessary, before they are canonized.

--

Sail On
$2 - Action-Duration
+$2
--
When you buy this you may pay more than $2. For every additional $1 paid, choose one (you may choose each one more than once).
- Trash a card in hand.
- Next turn: +1 Card.
- Next turn: +1 Action.
- Next turn: +1 Buy.

Marcella
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
Discard any number of Curse cards. +1 Card per Curse card discarded.
--
When you gain this, gain a Curse.

Shut Down
$2 - Action
Reveal your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed. If this is the first time you have played a [This Card] this turn, +1 Action.

The Trader
$2 - Treasure
+$2
When you gain this, gain a Copper.

Darlin'
$2 - Action-Reaction
Trash two cards from your hand.
--
When you would gain a card, you may discard this. If you do, instead gain a card costing exactly $1 more.

California Girls
$2 - Action-Reaction
+$2
You may place your [This Card] token onto any supply pile.
--
When another player plays the card your [This Card] token is on, you may reveal and discard this card. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.

Together Again
$2 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
Return this card to the supply.

Warmth of the Sun
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Trash 2 Curses or Ruins from the supply. If you do, +1 Card.

Wild Honey
$2 - Action-Reaction
+2 Actions
When you discard this from your deck, you may reveal it. If you do, put it in your hand.

Do It Again
$2 - Action-Looter
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card costing 2 or less. Trash it. You may put one revealed card in your hand; discard the rest.
--
When you trash this, each other player gains a Ruins.

Caroline
$2 - Action
If you have no other cards in play you may discard your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to 6.

Cotton Fields
$2 - Action
Choose one: Gain an Estate; or Gain a Spoils.

Pet Sounds
$2 - Action
+$2
Trash this card. Put a [This Card] token on top of a supply pile costing $3 or more.
--
Cards cost $1 more per [This Card] token on that pile.

Barbara Ann
$2 - Action-Attack
+1 Action
Every other player gains a Curse, putting it in their hand, or discards a Curse, gaining a Silver, putting it in their hand.

Mona
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
+$1
The first time you buy a card this turn, +$2.

Wind Chimes
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
--
When you discard this from play, if you bought fewer than two cards this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.

Wouldn't It Be Nice
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
Choose one: Take a [This Card] token; or return any number of [This Card] tokens, +$2 per [This Card] token returned.

Wake the World
$2 - Action-Duration
At the start of your next turn, trash this. If you do, gain an Action card and put it into your hand.

Kokomo
$2 - Action
Choose one: +1 Buy, +$1; or discard your hand. If you discarded any cards this way, draw 1 fewer cards than the number you discarded, +1 Action, and return this card to your hand.

Sunshine
$2 - Action
+1 Card
--
While this is in play, keep the top 2 cards of your deck revealed. You may put them in any order at any time.
--
(Rules clarification: While any number of [This Card] cards are in play, the top 2 cards of your deck are revealed at all times. For all intents and purposes (including its own card draw), you may treat either as the top card of your deck by reordering them at any time. If a card draws more than one card (such as Smithy), you draw one of the two revealed cards and reveal a replacement before drawing any more cards. If a card reveals a series of cards from the top of the deck (such as Scout), you select which of the two is revealed first, but the card is still technically the top card of the deck until the other card resolves, meaning you do not reveal any more cards for [This Card]'s effect until the other card is resolved. When there are no longer any [This Card]s in play, you must return the revealed cards to the top of your deck in any order.)

Fun Fun Fun
$2 - Action-Attack
Each player (including you) reveals the top and bottom cards of his deck and either switches their placement or returns them to where they were before, your choice.

$2 - Action-Attack-Looter
Reveal a Ruins cards from the Ruins pile each player in the game.  Place one Ruins card aside, of your choice, and shuffle the remaining revealed Ruins cards putting on the top of the Ruins pile. Each other player gains a Ruins card. Gain the set aside Ruins card and play it immediately.

Good Vibrations
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to $5.
Each other player may gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to $3.
Put this card on top of the discard pile of the player to your left.
--
(Rules clarification: This card uses a passing mechanism similar to that of Masquerade, but the card passes itself instead of another card. The card is placed in the opponent's discard pile instead of his hand and he doesn't gain it, so he can't react to it.)

Honda
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
You may trash this and another copy of [This Card] from your hand.  If you do, gain a card costing up to $6, putting it on top of your deck.

So Good To Me
$2 - Action-Victory
Draw up to 5 cards in hand.
--
Worth 0.5 VP

In My Room
$2 - Action-Treasure
When you play this, +1 Card, +1 Action.
--
(Rules clarifications: You can play this card during your action phase, which requires an action, or during your buy phase, which doesn't. Either way, you get +1 Card and +1 Action. You can't play actions during your buy phase, though.)

Deuce Coupe
$2 Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
--
When you trash this, +3 Cards and +1 Buy.

Little Bird
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
+$2
Discard a card.

Don't Worry Baby
$2 - Action-Reaction
+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards from your deck.  Discard any actions or treasures revealed this way.  Put the rest in your hand.
--
When you gain a Curse, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, put it in your hand.

Surfin' Safari
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--
If you have one of these cards in play, gain a Silver during your buy phase; or if you have two or more of these cards in play gain a Gold during your buy phase.
(Had this user's #15 and #16 entries swapped.  The correct entry for this challenge is:)

Surfin' Safari
$2 - Action
Discard an Estate and a Treasure from your hand; if you do, gain a Treasure card costing less than a Gold to your hand.
--
When you buy this, gain an Estate.

Hawaii
$2 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
--
Worth 0 VP

Heroes
$2 - Action-Looter
Gain a Ruins, putting it into your hand.
Choose one: play a Ruins from your hand three times; or reveal and return any number of Ruinses from your hand to the bottom of the Ruins pile in any order.

Villains
$2 - Action-Victory
Worth 0 VP
--
Choose one: Discard one card, draw one card. Gain a Silver. Trash this, gain an Estate.

Friends
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Discard a card.
--
When a player buys a card from a kingdom card pile with the [This Card] token on it, he gains a [This Card] and moves the [This Card] token to a different kingdom card pile.
--
Setup: Add an extra Action card pile to the Supply and put the [This Card] token on it.

Surfer Girl
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a Treasure Card; if you do, +$1, +1 Buy.

Wonderful
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Gain a Curse in hand.
Reveal your hand.
+2 Cards per Curse revealed.

Sloop John B
$2 - Action-Duration
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn: +$1.
--
While this is in play, all other players play with their hands revealed.

Then I Kissed Her
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a card that costs exactly $1 + $1 for each [This Card] in play.

Dance Dance Dance
$2 - Action
+$2
You may gain a [This Card], putting it in your hand.

Wendy
$2 - Action
+$1
You may reveal and discard a Victory Card costing 5 or more from your hand. If you do, +$2.
You may reveal and discard a Treasure or Action card from your hand. If you do, +$2.

When I Grow Up
$2 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you returned any copy of [This Card] to your hand at the start of your turn, +$1.
--
When another player buys a card, you may reveal your hand.  If you do and if the bought card costs at least $2 more than any card in your hand, set this card aside and return it to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Break Away
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
You may return a card from your hand to the supply. If you do, gain a card with the same cost, putting it in your hand.

I Get Around
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
Trash the top card of a non-victory supply pile.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:25:50 pm by rinkworks »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.