Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #15: $2 Card!  (Read 29677 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #15: $2 Card!
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2012, 10:00:51 am »
+1

Wake the World
$2 - Action-Duration
At the start of your next turn, trash this. If you do, gain an Action card and put it into your hand.
I find this really hard to judge.

I don't. I think it's insane. Opening 2 of these would be a must on some boards. Play this on turns 3 and 4. Gain Goons or Grand Market on turns 4 and 5. Continue this way until you have built up a KC-Goons-Grand Market deck without ever having to buy more than a $2 card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2012, 11:11:30 am »

Wild Honey
$2 - Action-Reaction
+2 Actions
When you discard this from your deck, you may reveal it. If you do, put it in your hand.

I like the card, but it may not be the best addition to the set. EDIT: I changed my mind. I think it would work as a mini-theme.

I'm envisioning some weird Black Market/Venture/Wild Honey/terminal draw combo.

Ugh. I hate Black Market. Maybe it's still okay? Is there a particular terminal draw where this would be a serious problem? I am having trouble thinking of one. I really like the idea of a $2 Village and want one of them to work....

But would:

Friends Without Benefits
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Discard a card.

be a better card? I think so.

That's strictly worse than Hamlet.

You're completely correct. I guess I just don't like the ability of Friends that much, but I like the idea of a $2 Village.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2012, 11:35:57 am »

Wake the World
$2 - Action-Duration
At the start of your next turn, trash this. If you do, gain an Action card and put it into your hand.

I don't. I think it's insane. Opening 2 of these would be a must on some boards. Play this on turns 3 and 4. Gain Goons or Grand Market on turns 4 and 5. Continue this way until you have built up a KC-Goons-Grand Market deck without ever having to buy more than a $2 card.

You're right, I think.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2012, 09:43:03 pm »
+1

Wake the World
$2 - Action-Duration

You're right, I think.
Pretty sure he is. This is so much better than Feast it isn't even funny.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2012, 01:23:34 am »
+1

Wake the World
$2 - Action-Duration

You're right, I think.
Pretty sure he is. This is so much better than Feast it isn't even funny.

Yeah, OK.  That's a good comparison.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2012, 07:43:53 am »

Well, I don't think my card will win this one, I actually found this the hardest category to come up with something for.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2012, 11:57:48 pm »

So after reviewing, I've decided that my favourite cards in this contest is Wind Chimes.

Wind Chimes gives the set a much needed +Buy, and it's nice because you can kick it back until you need it.  Kicking it back isn't a painless thing though, because WC is not a cantrip.  So you get if you need +Buy, but you'll have to really want that +Buy.  WC is weak, but it's a $2 card so that's OK.  I think it fills a good niche.  I suppose that makes me a fan of Walled Village as well; it's among the cards I have played with the least.

Also, I am now wondering about the strength of "+2 actions, +1 buy".  I thought this would compare favourably to Hamlet, but many others seem to disagree! :)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2012, 01:57:59 pm »

That card is so underpowered.  Why would you vote for a card that will only get purchased when players are totally coerced into getting +buy?

It needs +1$, and it would still be a tough call whether to topdeck.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2012, 05:48:37 pm »

That card is so underpowered.  Why would you vote for a card that will only get purchased when players are totally coerced into getting +buy?

It's only a $2 card.  I think it's fine for that. :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2012, 06:06:37 pm »

2$ cards are competing with nothing.  Wind Chimes is way worse than nothing, almost all the time.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2012, 06:14:12 pm »

2$ cards are competing with nothing.  Wind Chimes is way worse than nothing, almost all the time.

I think $2 cards tend to be niche, and I think WC is fairly niche.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2012, 08:19:04 pm »

I finally decided to do one of these! Even though I'm way late in the game. I'm only gonna comment on the ones I find interesting or could potentially receive my vote. One of them is mine.

Sail On
$2 - Action-Duration
+$2
--
When you buy this you may pay more than $2. For every additional $1 paid, choose one (you may choose each one more than once).
- Trash a card in hand.
- Next turn: +1 Card.
- Next turn: +1 Action.
- Next turn: +1 Buy.

The idea of paying more for this makes it sketchy whether it qualifies for this. Other than that and the fact that this would need a lot of rules clarifications/could have tracking issues, it's a neat idea! $7 for nearly a 1-shot tactician is kinda interesting. I fear it could break openings, though. 5/2 with this could be too good.

Darlin'
$2 - Action-Reaction
Trash two cards from your hand.
--
When you would gain a card, you may discard this. If you do, instead gain a card costing exactly $1 more.

I kinda like this, although it's a bit anti-synergystic. It'd be an interesting plan to load up on lots of these to increase buying power, but the trashing portion makes you not want to load up, as well as being a little vanilla. Probably great for enabling engines in a cursing game though, and that sounds good to me.

Warmth of the Sun
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Trash 2 Curses or Ruins from the supply. If you do, +1 Card.

It seems like this really really shuts down looters and cursers in a way that I'm not sure is great. It's a neat idea though, a peddler that only works for a while. This might enhance 1 player advantage?

Do It Again
$2 - Action-Looter
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card costing 2 or less. Trash it. You may put one revealed card in your hand; discard the rest.
--
When you trash this, each other player gains a Ruins.

I like the way this handles selected draw. Seems like if there's enough support, that could be great. It badly anti-synergizes with other 2s, of course, as well as prizes, spoils, and mercenary/madman. The ruins bit is fine and can spoil someone's day if they really want to draw that one card.

Pet Sounds
$2 - Action
+$2
Trash this card. Put a [This Card] token on top of a supply pile costing $3 or more.
--
Cards cost $1 more per [This Card] token on that pile.

This is a cool concept and I want it to work somehow but I just don't know about this. Seems like paying $1 more for a card is not as painful as a curse, but it also doesn't ever go away, which could potentially slow things down more over time. Maybe I don't like this idea so much.

Mona
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
+$1
The first time you buy a card this turn, +$2.

Interesting! At first it looked quite a bit worse than herbalist but it offers some cool strategic choices. If you want it as a straight up terminal gold, you have to take a copper too. In an engine it's probably a powerhouse and yes, it's probably usually gonna be quite a bit better than herbalist. I'd be curious to see how this would do at $3.

Wind Chimes
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
--
When you discard this from play, if you bought fewer than two cards this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.

I'm with pops on this one. A source of +buy in this set would be great, but I do not think this is a good source of it at all.

Wouldn't It Be Nice
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
Choose one: Take a [This Card] token; or return any number of [This Card] tokens, +$2 per [This Card] token returned.

Now here is a source of +Buy that I could get behind. It seems a bit weak, but it costs $2 so that isn't so bad.

Wake the World
$2 - Action-Duration

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Hahaha. Funny joke.

Deuce Coupe
$2 Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
--
When you trash this, +3 Cards and +1 Buy.

This is a bit interesting. Tracking issue if it's trashed on an opponent's turn, but oh well. That is a really nice for-trash bonus. I think it's fine, maybe a tad bit boring though.

Surfin' Safari
$2 - Action
Discard an Estate and a Treasure from your hand; if you do, gain a Treasure card costing less than a Gold to your hand.
--
When you buy this, gain an Estate.

I might actually like this if it let you get gold. It would be really, really strong...early. And in engines. But bump it up to 3 and you can get a high-payout card that works sometimes, like baron. Of course, that's not this contest. Good idea, though.

Heroes
$2 - Action-Looter
Gain a Ruins, putting it into your hand.
Choose one: play a Ruins from your hand three times; or reveal and return any number of Ruinses from your hand to the bottom of the Ruins pile in any order.

I like this, but it's almost like rolling a dice because some bonuses are great and some are bad. I don't think that's a good thing for dominion, but this is a cool card. I actually think it might need a small buff, so maybe you could choose one of the top two ruins to play? Or do an ambassador effect with the returned ruins?

Wonderful
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Gain a Curse in hand.
Reveal your hand.
+2 Cards per Curse revealed.

As far as self-cursers go, this...actually might be pretty strong. I mean it's gonna start hurting really fast, but the more curses you get, this could get waaaay strong. And it synergizes with itself like crazy. Could form engines built on curses?

Wendy
$2 - Action
+$1
You may reveal and discard a Victory Card costing 5 or more from your hand. If you do, +$2.
You may reveal and discard a Treasure or Action card from your hand. If you do, +$2.

Yeah this is pretty cool. It can discard itself for terminal gold, and it's probably awesome with duchy/duke.

Break Away
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
You may return a card from your hand to the supply. If you do, gain a card with the same cost, putting it in your hand.

At first this didn't look good, but I actually think it's really interesting. Of course great with peddler, it's also sweet with curses and junk actions. Only reservation is that there are a lot of gainers in the set, but I really don't mind that so much.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2012, 08:38:06 pm »

I dunno... Action/Coin/Buy seems like the sort of thing that could reasonably cost $3.  It's as good as a Salvager hitting Copper (trading losing one Copper for an action).  Action/Card/Buy is good enough for $3 with a reaction bonus; I think Action/Coin/Buy would be reasonable at $3 with the topdeck bonus.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2012, 09:28:30 pm »

Salvager hitting Copper is very different from Action/Coin/Buy, it makes -1$ which is a 2$ difference, in addition to your action/copper removal comparison.  So I have trouble following.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2012, 09:35:27 pm »

I dunno... Action/Coin/Buy seems like the sort of thing that could reasonably cost $3.  It's as good as a Salvager hitting Copper (trading losing one Copper for an action).  Action/Card/Buy is good enough for $3 with a reaction bonus; I think Action/Coin/Buy would be reasonable at $3 with the topdeck bonus.

Salvager hitting Copper is very different from Action/Coin/Buy, it makes -1$ which is a 2$ difference, in addition to your action/copper removal comparison.  So I have trouble following.

Well, Forager is +Action, +Buy, Trash and usually gives at least one coin. So $3 for Action/Buy/Coin does seem like the closest with the topdeck bonus.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2012, 10:39:48 pm »

Forager and Salvager are different words.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2012, 11:24:21 pm »

Well I was really responding to Kirian. But your comment was relevant to the whole discussion so I figured I'd quote it too. :P

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »

Well, here we are again.  Another card gets inaugurated into the community set.  The objective for Challenge #15 was:

Create a card costing $2.

Simple, right?  Or not, since such loose criteria leaves such a wide open design space to get lost in.  The votes were spread thin, but in the end one card bubbled up to the top:

#1 - Missionary by Graystripe77 with 22 points (Darlin')
$2 - Action-Reaction
Trash two cards from your hand.
--
When you would gain a card, you may discard this. If you do, instead gain a card costing exactly $1 more.

Congratulations to Graystripe77, who lands a second card in the set with this Steward-lite.  Either you use it to trash cards, or you use it for cash.  When you use it for cash, it's functionality equivalent to a Copper, right?  Sure, if you use it on a card you buy, but think about the interactions with gainers (like this set's Pawn Shop, Carpenter, and Salesman) or cursers (this set's Soothsayer) or other gaining attacks (Jester, Ambassador, Thief).

Just behind was a Village that lets you shift strategies mid-stream.  The rest of the results:

#2 - Flea Market by tyr10n with 20 points (Break Away)
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
You may return a card from your hand to the supply. If you do, gain a card with the same cost, putting it in your hand.

#3 - Ghost Town by Rush Clasic with 15 points (Wild Honey)
$2 - Action-Reaction
+2 Actions
When you discard this from your deck, you may reveal it. If you do, put it in your hand.

#4 - Courier (1) by Kirian with 14 points (Wind Chimes)
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
--
When you discard this from play, if you bought fewer than two cards this turn, you may put this on top of your deck.

#5 - Plunder by eHalcyon with 10 points (Wouldn't It Be Nice)
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
Choose one: Take a Plunder token; or return any number of Plunder tokens, +$2 per Plunder token returned.

#6 (tie) - Serf by Polk5440 with 9 points (Shut Down)
$2 - Action
Reveal your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed. If this is the first time you have played a Serf this turn, +1 Action.

#6 (tie) - Bargain by Guy Srinivasan with 9 points (Mona)
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
+$1
The first time you buy a card this turn, +$2.

#6 (tie) - Dweller by nopawnsintended with 9 points (Honda)
$2 - Action
+1 Buy
You may trash this and another copy of Dweller from your hand.  If you do, gain a card costing up to $6, putting it on top of your deck.

#9 (tie) - Telescope by RobertJ with 8 points (Sloop John B)
$2 - Action-Duration
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn: +$1.
--
While this is in play, all other players play with their hands revealed.

#9 (tie) - Archaeologist by Tejayes with 8 points (Heroes)
$2 - Action-Looter
Gain a Ruins, putting it into your hand.
Choose one: play a Ruins from your hand three times; or reveal and return any number of Ruinses from your hand to the bottom of the Ruins pile in any order.

#9 (tie) - Falconer by yuma with 8 points (Fun Fun Fun)
$2 - Action-Attack
Each player (including you) reveals the top and bottom cards of his deck and either switches their placement or returns them to where they were before, your choice.

#12 (tie) - Oubliette by Fuu with 7 points (Wonderful)
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Gain a Curse in hand.
Reveal your hand.
+2 Cards per Curse revealed.

#12 (tie) - Salesman by Titandrake with 7 points (Then I Kissed Her)
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a card that costs exactly $1 + $1 for each Salesman in play.

#14 (tie) - Encampment/Shindig by Archetype/popsofctown with 6 points (Little Bird)
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
+$2
Discard a card.

#14 (tie) - Piggy Bank by Jack Rudd with 6 points (The Trader)
$2 - Treasure
+$2
When you gain this, gain a Copper.

#14 (tie) - Excavate by Dsell with 6 points (Do It Again)
$2 - Action-Looter
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card costing 2 or less. Trash it. You may put one revealed card in your hand; discard the rest.
--
When you trash this, each other player gains a Ruins.

#17 (tie) - Landfill by Bella Cullen with 5 points (So Good To Me)
$2 - Action-Victory
Draw up to 5 cards in hand.
--
Worth 0.5 VP

#17 (tie) - Watchman by Schneau with 5 points (Kokomo)
$2 - Action
Choose one: +1 Buy, +$1; or discard your hand. If you discarded any cards this way, draw 1 fewer cards than the number you discarded, +1 Action, and return this card to your hand.

#17 (tie) - Prince's Village by Powerman with 5 points (Deuce Coupe)
$2 Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
--
When you trash this, +3 Cards and +1 Buy.

#17 (tie) - Broker by Mecherath with 5 points (Cotton Fields)
$2 - Action
Choose one: Gain an Estate; or Gain a Spoils.

#17 (tie) - Poisoned Well by angrybirds with 5 points (409)
$2 - Action-Attack-Looter
Reveal a Ruins cards from the Ruins pile each player in the game.  Place one Ruins card aside, of your choice, and shuffle the remaining revealed Ruins cards putting on the top of the Ruins pile. Each other player gains a Ruins card. Gain the set aside Ruins card and play it immediately.

#22 (tie) - Landlord by jamespotter with 4 points (Wendy)
$2 - Action
+$1
You may reveal and discard a Victory Card costing 5 or more from your hand. If you do, +$2.
You may reveal and discard a Treasure or Action card from your hand. If you do, +$2.

#22 (tie) - Suburb by Saucery with 4 points (Friends)
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Discard a card.
--
When a player buys a card from a kingdom card pile with the Suburb token on it, he gains a Suburb and moves the Suburb token to a different kingdom card pile.
--
Setup: Add an extra Action card pile to the Supply and put the Suburb token on it.

#22 (tie) - Snowball by Watno with 4 points (Dance Dance Dance)
$2 - Action
+$2
You may gain a Snowball, putting it in your hand.

#25 (tie) - Farmer's Market by dnkywin with 3 points (Surfer Girl)
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a Treasure Card; if you do, +$1, +1 Buy.

#25 (tie) - Girl Scout by Sakako with 3 points (Hawaii)
$2 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards into your hand. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.
--
Worth 0 VP

#25 (tie) - Prospector by mith with 3 points (Caroline)
$2 - Action
If you have no other cards in play you may discard your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to 6.

#25 (tie) - Witchdoctor by Adrienaline with 3 points (Barbara Ann)
$2 - Action-Attack
+1 Action
Every other player gains a Curse, putting it in their hand, or discards a Curse, gaining a Silver, putting it in their hand.

#29 (tie) - Butcher by ignorentmen with 2 points (Surfin' Safari)
$2 - Action
Discard an Estate and a Treasure from your hand; if you do, gain a Treasure card costing less than a Gold to your hand.
--
When you buy this, gain an Estate.

#29 (tie) - Abandoned Village by PenPen with 2 points (Marcella)
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
Discard any number of Curse cards. +1 Card per Curse card discarded.
--
When you gain this, gain a Curse.

#29 (tie) - Sneak by ashersky with 2 points (Don't Worry Baby)
$2 - Action-Reaction
+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards from your deck.  Discard any actions or treasures revealed this way.  Put the rest in your hand.
--
When you gain a Curse, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, put it in your hand.

#32 (tie) - Forger by JFugue with 1 point (When I Grow Up)
$2 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you returned any copy of Forger to your hand at the start of your turn, +$1.
--
When another player buys a card, you may reveal your hand.  If you do and if the bought card costs at least $2 more than any card in your hand, set this card aside and return it to your hand at the start of your next turn.

#32 (tie) - Dry Well by heatthespurs with 1 point (Warmth of the Sun)
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Trash 2 Curses or Ruins from the supply. If you do, +1 Card.

#32 (tie) - Twin Town by NoMoreFun with 1 point (Together Again)
$2 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
Return this card to the supply.

#32 (tie) - Courier (2) by Fragasnap with 1 point (Sunshine)
$2 - Action
+1 Card
--
While this is in play, keep the top 2 cards of your deck revealed. You may put them in any order at any time.
--
(Rules clarification: While any number of Courier (2) cards are in play, the top 2 cards of your deck are revealed at all times. For all intents and purposes (including its own card draw), you may treat either as the top card of your deck by reordering them at any time. If a card draws more than one card (such as Smithy), you draw one of the two revealed cards and reveal a replacement before drawing any more cards. If a card reveals a series of cards from the top of the deck (such as Scout), you select which of the two is revealed first, but the card is still technically the top card of the deck until the other card resolves, meaning you do not reveal any more cards for Courier (2)'s effect until the other card is resolved. When there are no longer any Courier (2)s in play, you must return the revealed cards to the top of your deck in any order.)

#32 (tie) - Card by ednever with 1 point (Sail On)
$2 - Action-Duration
+$2
--
When you buy this you may pay more than $2. For every additional $1 paid, choose one (you may choose each one more than once).
- Trash a card in hand.
- Next turn: +1 Card.
- Next turn: +1 Action.
- Next turn: +1 Buy.

#32 (tie) - Taxman by Michaelf7777777 with 1 point (Pet Sounds)
$2 - Action
+$2
Trash this card. Put a Taxman token on top of a supply pile costing $3 or more.
--
Cards cost $1 more per Taxman token on that pile.

#32 (tie) - Ravager by PurplePotato with 1 point (I Get Around)
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
Trash the top card of a non-victory supply pile.

#32 (tie) - Travelling Show by Davio with 1 point (Good Vibrations)
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to $5.
Each other player may gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to $3.
Put this card on top of the discard pile of the player to your left.
--
(Rules clarification: This card uses a passing mechanism similar to that of Masquerade, but the card passes itself instead of another card. The card is placed in the opponent's discard pile instead of his hand and he doesn't gain it, so he can't react to it.)

#32 (tie) - Monopoly by Tables with 1 point (California Girls)
$2 - Action-Reaction
+$2
You may place your Monopoly token onto any supply pile.
--
When another player plays the card your Monopoly token is on, you may reveal and discard this card. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.

#41 (tie) - Pledge by Robz888 with 0 points (Wake the World)
$2 - Action-Duration

#41 (tie) - Secret Estate by Beyond Awesome with 0 points (Villains)
$2 - Action-Victory
Worth 0 VP
--
Choose one: Discard one card, draw one card. Gain a Silver. Trash this, gain an Estate.

#41 (tie) - Box of Kittens by Drab Emordnilap with 0 points (In My Room)
$2 - Action-Treasure
When you play this, +1 Card, +1 Action.
--
(Rules clarifications: You can play this card during your action phase, which requires an action, or during your buy phase, which doesn't. Either way, you get +1 Card and +1 Action. You can't play actions during your buy phase, though.)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2012, 12:16:06 pm »

I make no apologies for the fact that my much maligned card, Pledge (Wake the World), was strictly superior to Feast. It would have been more fun than Feast, too.

Congrats to the winner!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:32 pm »

Congrats to Graystripe77!

My entry is a pretty lazy one, it's just modified from the original Cursed Village I designed (I actually was even lazier and submitted the original version). It shows!

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2012, 12:28:10 pm »

Congrats to Graystripe77. Now we have cheap 2-card, $2 trashing for Curses and something to counter Soothsayer. My Drawbridge, which I withdrew, didn't counter Soothsayer, but I still like it.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2012, 12:41:40 pm »

Also, I am now wondering about the strength of "+2 actions, +1 buy".  I thought this would compare favourably to Hamlet, but many others seem to disagree! :)

I think +2 Actions, +1 Buy is underpowered for a $2 card.  The +1 Card is huge.  Hamlet results in a smaller hand-size if you use its bonuses, but you only ever discard to Hamlet if dropping a card is worth it in the given situation.  This card puts you down a card whether you like it or not.  True, it does leave you up a card over Hamlet in the case where you activate both of Hamlet's bonuses.  On the other hand, Hamlet's drawing lets you sift a little and gives you a larger selection of cards to discard.

We can also compare to Squire:  Squire can do +2 Actions and +$1, which is stronger in general (though +Buy is certainly situationally stronger), provides other options if you prefer, and an on-trash ability.

So I really think a "+2 Actions, +1 Buy" needs something extra to justify itself as a worthwhile $2 card.  Of course, the relevant submissions for this challenge do exactly that, so the question becomes whether or not those extras are worth losing a card slot for.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2012, 01:07:12 pm »

I think +2 Actions, +1 Buy is underpowered for a $2 card.  The +1 Card is huge.  Hamlet results in a smaller hand-size if you use its bonuses, but you only ever discard to Hamlet if dropping a card is worth it in the given situation.  This card puts you down a card whether you like it or not.  True, it does leave you up a card over Hamlet in the case where you activate both of Hamlet's bonuses.  On the other hand, Hamlet's drawing lets you sift a little and gives you a larger selection of cards to discard.

We can also compare to Squire:  Squire can do +2 Actions and +$1, which is stronger in general (though +Buy is certainly situationally stronger), provides other options if you prefer, and an on-trash ability.

So I really think a "+2 Actions, +1 Buy" needs something extra to justify itself as a worthwhile $2 card.  Of course, the relevant submissions for this challenge do exactly that, so the question becomes whether or not those extras are worth losing a card slot for.

Mm, thanks for the thoughts.  I have learned a little more now. :)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2012, 01:37:57 pm »

Ahh, tough that the highest placing +Buy card only came in fourth.  Congrats to Graystripe -- I voted for Darlin'.  Also voted for Wild Honey, Honda and Mona (although Mona is actually probably too strong with the "buy a Copper first" trick).  All of them placed well. :D

Happy with my own showing here too.  Plunder (Wouldn't It Be Nice) was a serious entry and I'm glad it did alright. :)

Random thoughts:

Prospector is a thematic name for Caroline. :P

Sail On was indeed named "Card".  Called it! :D

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2012, 02:13:38 pm »

Ahh, tough that the highest placing +Buy card only came in fourth.  Congrats to Graystripe -- I voted for Darlin'.  Also voted for Wild Honey, Honda and Mona (although Mona is actually probably too strong with the "buy a Copper first" trick).  All of them placed well. :D

Happy with my own showing here too.  Plunder (Wouldn't It Be Nice) was a serious entry and I'm glad it did alright. :)

Random thoughts:

Prospector is a thematic name for Caroline. :P

Sail On was indeed named "Card".  Called it! :D

I'm glad you liked my card, eH.  I wonder now, though, if it would have gotten more votes at +2 Actions instead of +1.  But then, top-decking that +2 Actions might have been a bit too strong for $2.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 20 queries.