Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "New Upgrade Mechanic" - Swag  (Read 1599 times)

Eistee

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
"New Upgrade Mechanic" - Swag
« on: September 10, 2012, 05:10:24 am »

Hello guys,

I'm still working on an own Expansion, and this is a "theme" I came up with a while ago. It's kind of the counterpart to the "Obstacle"-Theme (you can read about my plans here).

You might have recognized that I have put "New Upgrade Mechanic" in quotation marks. I did so because it's not actually a completely new mechanic. But see for yourself, I'll do it how I like to do it best: I show you my stuff, you understand it on your own. By the way, as I'm not a native speaker, I'm not sure if the word swag fits my idea perfectly. I wanted "Loot", but that's been taken by Donald a few weeks ago. Evil Donald!

Ah, Im still talking. Let's get to the cards!

Rest
Action - (4)
+1 Buy
Trash up to two cards from your hand. For each card trashed this way that is not a victory card: +1 (Swag Token).
-----
When you discard this from play, you may gain Swag.

Comment: A simple trasher. Might turn out a bit strong, I guess, but at least it does not net you anything from estates, but it sure does love the Curse. The first version only worked on treasure, I might even like that more. What's your opinion?

Dungeon Map
Action - (5)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Coin
-----
When you discard this from play, choose one: +1 (Swag Token), or gain Swag.

Comment: The basic Swag-Gainer. Yes, I love Peddler Variants.

Monster Lair
Action - Attack (5)
+2 Coins
Each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.
Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Discard them, or put them back in any order.
-----
When you discard this from play, choose one: +2 (Swag Token), or gain Swag.

Comment: The top isn't spectacular for a (5), but the bottom sure is nice.

-Swag Cards-

Kilos of Copper
Treasure - Swag (0)
Worth 1 Coin.
If this is the first time you play a Swag-Card this turn: +2 Buys. Otherwise, +1 Buy.
-----
You can only gain this by spending 1 (Swag Token) on your Backpack Mat.

Sack of Silver
Treasure - Swag (0)
Worth 2 Coins.
If this is the first time you play a Swag-Card this turn: +2 Buys. Otherwise, +1 Buy.
-----
You can only gain this by spending 2 (Swag Token) on your Backpack Mat.

Gallons of Gold
Treasure - Swag (0)
Worth 3 Coins.
-----
You can only gain this by spending 3 (Swag Token) on your Backpack Mat.

Piles of Platinum
Treasure - Swag (0)
Worth 4 Coins.
-----
You can only gain this by spending 4 (Swag Token) on your Backpack Mat.

-Comment about Swag-

First, let's clear up the rules. When you discard a "Swag Gainer", you may either put X (Swag Token) on your Backpack Mat, or "gain Swag". Gaining Swag (and Swag in general) has the following rules:

-Gaining Swag happens when a card tells you to do so.
-You can only gain Swag when "Gaining Swag". Sound logical, but still.
-Swag is NOT in the supply. Each Swag pile consists of 12 cards per Swag.
-Yes, Piles of Platinum being worth 4 Coins is intentional. 5 would be too much for province games, I think. (Opinions?)
-You may spend as many Swag tokens as you wish. You can see on each Swag card how much you have to spend for it. Example: You have 5 Swag Tokens. You can gain 5 Kilos of Copper, or 2 Sacks of Silver and 1 Kilos of Copper, or 1 Gallons of Gold and one Kilos of copper, or 1 Piles of Platinum and one Kilos of Copper, and so on. However, you do not have to spend all your Swag Tokens once you gain Swag.
-Gained Swag is put into your discard pile.
-At the end of "Gaining Swag", you lose all your Swag Tokens that are left. Yes, you can declare that you want to "Gain Swag", spend no tokens, and then lose them all. There's no point in doing so, but it is possible.
-You may have a maximum of 8 Swag tokens on your Backpack Mat. (Opinions?)
-One more thing: Gainin Swag is at the bottom of the card because it would be insane with Throne Room or King's Court if it wasn't. It's okay with "Rest", because you'll eventually run out of fuel.

I personally like the idea of "Upgrading" a lot and I'd like to see more fan-made upgraders. This is my take at it: You don't always get the same card, and patience might be good when playing with swag. I put +Buy on every Swag for two reasons:
1) You might even consider to gain a Kilos of Copper when you desperately need +Buy. Without it, nobody would ever gain Kilos of Copper without Gardens. And that's sad for the Copper.
2) If you took your time to get a Piles of Platinum instead of a Kilos of Copper, you sure want to use it. All that patience for a Province bought with 13 Coins? Nah.

I'm pretty sure you've noticed the "Symmetry": Kilos of Copper, Sack of Silver, and so on. I'm not sure if the names are good as they are, and I'm happy about every suggestion. Is "Gallons of Gold" even possible... ?

I welcome every opinion about this idea and criticism is always welcome. Do you have ideas for new Swag, like a Swag for (5) with a Special Ability? Or do you want to fix a Swag-Gainer? Or do you even have a new one?

Thank you for your time and thanks in advance for your reply!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:25:22 am by Eistee »

Eistee

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Re: "New Upgrade Mechanic" - Swag
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:22:30 am »

Reserved this post. Also, updated the first post (typos and stuff).

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Re: "New Upgrade Mechanic" - Swag
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 06:59:53 am »

swag is a little too modern and informal to be a good word here. Bounty, maybe?

as for the mechanics itself I find it somewhat hard to believe it's ever right to not save up for at least gold.

it's also somewhat awkward that a lot of those rules would have to be hidden in the rulebook. I mean I get the "gaining swag means paying X swag tokens to gain a swag piece" part, but things like "you can gain as many as you want", "once I choose to gain I lose all the tokens I don't spend", and "I can only have 8 tokens max" are completely unintuitive to the actual card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.