Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Knights!  (Read 16981 times)

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
Re: Knights!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 12:46:54 pm »

If you have an engine and you've trashed most things down, or really any time you're trying to buy more than one province in a turn I might take Catacombs over Embassy, simply because you get more cards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 12:56:22 pm »
+1

If you have an engine and you've trashed most things down, or really any time you're trying to buy more than one province in a turn I might take Catacombs over Embassy, simply because you get more cards.

If that's the case, you may as well have a Smithy.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 12:58:29 pm »

If you have 5 instead of 4 catacombs is easily preferrable to smithy and if you have 4 you probably want scout.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 01:03:14 pm »

If you have 5 instead of 4 catacombs is easily preferrable to smithy and if you have 4 you probably want scout.

I usually hope for $6 and 2 buys, so I can get Scout and Estate (later I can draw it with Scout).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 01:46:23 pm »
+1

I usually hope for $6 and 2 buys, so I can get Scout and Estate (later I can draw it with Scout).

I meant in the heavily trashed deck described, which wouldn't have Victory cards for Scout to draw, or things you'd want to discard to Catacombs.  At that point you could just Graverob a Catacombs into a Province and replace it with a Smithy.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 01:48:17 pm »

I meant in the heavily trashed deck described, which wouldn't have Victory cards for Scout to draw, or things you'd want to discard to Catacombs.  At that point you could just Graverob a Catacombs into a Province and replace it with a Smithy.
But when you get that province Catacombs and scout increase in value!
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 02:19:34 pm »
+1

But when you get that province Catacombs and scout increase in value!

So Graverob it back out of the trash.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 02:46:46 pm »

I'll actually post for once, why not?

Being new to Dark Ages, the Knights were certainly the hardest aspect for me to deal with so far.  I don't think my early brainstorming on the set was horrible, but I definitely did a poor job of accounting for Knights specifically.  Werothegreat's constant assault exposed my capable, but very narrow engine in a few games.  I did much better in the games without the knights; I believe the one I won did not have them, though I don't remember. 

They have some qualities similar to Saboteur in that their value increases with better drawing and the opportunity to play them more often, especially since it doesn't wander through your deck until it finds something worth it.  However, unlike Saboteur, the cards do something for you, and there's the burning question of...should I take the knight that's less useful for me, if it will still may help me gain an advantage over my opponent?  I guess it depends on the game.  Knights' value may change based on the kingdom setup more than most cards.   
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 02:52:14 pm »
+1

The Knights really do give a great mental image of just hacking and slashing at everyone else's decks.

Also, in one final game with just Axe Knight, I opened 5/2, which allowed me to snag a Cultist early.  By the time he was able to produce $5, he had all the Ruins anyway.  Cultist is definitely in a higher tier, cuddling with the likes of IGG, Witch and Mountebank.  Band of Misfits and Catacombs are not too far behind, though.  Knights, however, will definitely need a lot more playing before we can decide where they stand.  In most of the kingdoms they seemed rather extraneous, and didn't do all that much to stop someone really going for big money or an engine.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2012, 08:27:00 pm »

Yes, in that case you would rather have a Smithy instead of an Embassy.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 09:53:04 pm »

Cultist is definitely in a higher tier, cuddling with the likes of IGG, Witch and Mountebank. 

I didn't need the mental image of the Cultist cuddling with the Witch or Mountebank...
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 10:29:28 pm »

Damn I am so jealous. All y'all having so much Dominion-fun off of the thread I started. How many games did you guys end up playing?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 11:10:35 pm »
+1

Damn I am so jealous. All y'all having so much Dominion-fun off of the thread I started. How many games did you guys end up playing?

I think six?  Four with me, Robz and Axe Knight, another adding Axe Knight's friend, and then another just between me and Axe Knight.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 11:40:16 pm »

It was great! This might surprise you, but Axe Knight is not an axe-wielding knight in real life.

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 11:43:03 pm »

In fact it does surprise me!

...not as much as him more or less skipping over the Knights during game play.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2012, 11:48:27 pm »

I personally found the Knights rather inessential.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2012, 12:20:48 am »

I have found them to be rather meh as well

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 02:02:37 am »

I personally found the Knights rather inessential.

I meant to be punny what with his username containing the word "Knight." Alas, it went straight over everyone's head. :(

Though, I did successfully pin a friend the other day using them. Admittedly, he is not very good and had already over-trashed with Rats, but still, they have their moments, those Knights.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2012, 02:15:40 am »
+1

I played a game with them. They were ok. We ended up running out because we both thought they were going to be phenomenal. I do like them better than Rogue.

We also had Beggar, which is a fantastic defense against Knights, which I think it's  what its reaction is for.

Because it certainly isnt for Pirate Ship or Thief…
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:02:04 pm by Archetype »

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2012, 01:30:45 am »

In the Catacombs vs. Embassy discussion, I think it's easy to forget that Embassy simply isn't very good at drawing huge hands/drawing your whole deck, especially without heavy trashing. (And its filtering powers are somewhat wasted on that goal anyhow.) Sometimes that doesn't matter much, which is why we all love Embassy (and Hamlet), but other times it does. Catacombs has the draw power of a Smithy: enough to get that job done, which is probably its biggest advantage in this contest.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:42:51 am by RD »

dan11295

• Navigator
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 04:00:22 pm »

Played a few few player Dark Ages games last night. One game with Knights. Really weren't that useful in the game I played, mainly because Marauder spam caused the Ruins to be dealt out very quickly and trashing was relatively weak. Junk Dealer was on the board but at $5 hard to mass them to rid yourself of Ruins. Forager was also there, was a first Dark Ages game so wasn't sure about buying mutiples of this. Anyways, I bought one Knight, but generally hit copper, Ruins, Spoils, Vagrants, etc. Much more useful is a game with better trashing/real engine. I get this in the Rats/Fortress/Death Cart game I played after they would be a real factor.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.