Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Excavation: A Choice Treasure Gainer  (Read 2425 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Excavation: A Choice Treasure Gainer
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:23:59 pm »

Things have been kind of quiet, so I thought I'd post a card I created a while ago:

Excavation
Cost: 4
Choose 1:
Gain 3 Coppers, putting them into your hand.
Gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.
Trash a card costing 3 or more from your hand, if you do gain a Gold, putting it on the bottom of your deck.

It's not strictly better than B-crat, but pretty close. Which I think is fine. Since B-crat is pretty weak.

The Choices:
Copper: I first made this before Beggar was posted, but I guess this is just that without the reaction :P
Silver: Beauracrat without the attack.
Gold: Originally was an Action card, but Ruins would make that choice too good. Now it's costing 3 or more to prevent Estate and Copper trashing. The Gold to the bottom might be unecessary, but it makes it miss the reshuffle and is a pretty nifty effect.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:28:46 pm by Archetype »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Excavation: A Choice Treasure Gainer
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:30:02 pm »

I'd be interested to see how gaining a card to the bottom of your deck compares to regular gaining. Like you said, it causes it to miss the shuffle, but it also gives it to you during the current shuffle. I have no idea which you'd prefer.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:54:50 pm »

I'd be interested to see how gaining a card to the bottom of your deck compares to regular gaining. Like you said, it causes it to miss the shuffle, but it also gives it to you during the current shuffle. I have no idea which you'd prefer.
I think it hurts, but not a bunch. I don't really care either way, but I just thought gaining to the bottom was cute.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:22:13 pm »
+1

I think it hurts, but not a bunch. I don't really care either way, but I just thought gaining to the bottom was cute.
It can't hurt.  It's strictly better than a regular gain.  Not by much, but you get your card somewhere between 0 and (length of shuffle) turns faster.  There's also a nonzero chance that you get it in this shuffle and the next.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57:03 pm »

And of course there's the obvious synergy with pearl diver.
Well you *do* need a signature...

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:29:57 pm »

On my initial read-through, I thought all three happened. I wasn't too worried about the all-three version in that instance for some reason. None of the abilities sound that great on their own.

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 12:19:49 am »

I don't know if this could cost 4 but a part of me really wants the last ability to be just gain a gold.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 12:30:58 am »

I don't know if this could cost 4 but a part of me really wants the last ability to be just gain a gold.
If that was the case, and it costed 5, it would usually be much better than Mint, aside from the on-gain effect and some edge cases.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 12:55:42 am »

It can't hurt.  It's strictly better than a regular gain.  Not by much, but you get your card somewhere between 0 and (length of shuffle) turns faster.  There's also a nonzero chance that you get it in this shuffle and the next.

That's not right... it has a very high chance of missing the shuffle, 4/5 at best, higher if you have any cards in your deck that draw. Yes, you always get it this shuffle which means that you usually get to use it faster. But assuming that it misses the shuffle, you still only get to use it once between this shuffle and next... same number of times you would get to use it if you gained it normally. Playing a card a few turns sooner isn't strictly better; it's playing it more times total that you care about. And the fact that you don't have it next shuffle could be worse than not having it this shuffle. Especially if it is a card that combos with other things, and you want to use it when you have more of those things in your deck. Or it's just the type of card that you want to use later in the game (Duchy gainer?). Of course, this is talking about a general question of gaining to the bottom. In the case of the OP, we're talking about Gold, in which case I would say that it's more likely that not that you'd rather gain it to the bottom. But depending what else is in your deck, you still may rather use it after the shuffle than before... assuming that either way, you get to use it exactly once across this shuffle and the next.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.