Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Online Movie Reviewers  (Read 2528 times)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
Online Movie Reviewers
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:29:18 pm »

Anyone like to watch people talk about movies online? I quite enjoy it myself, even when I disagree. I like watching Confused Matthew, Doug Walker (and others at tgwtg), Brad Jones (he is featured on tgwtg, but he's got his own site with more content from him and his friends), and Jeremy Jahns (actually the only I listed here who primarily uses YouTube).
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Re: Online Movie Reviewers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 07:25:57 pm »

I enjoy reading movie reviews, but I tend to stick to simpler stuff like Rotten Tomatoes than to professional Movie Reviewers.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:53:22 pm »
+2

I go to the AV Club for all my TV and movie reviews. http://www.avclub.com/
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 01:02:14 am »

this guy is pretty good tbh
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:40:18 am »

I go to the AV Club for all my TV and movie reviews. http://www.avclub.com/

I really like the AV Club. I find writing about movies on the Internet to fall (really broadly speaking) into one of two categories: First, there are the reviews of mainstream films in a mainstream way that appeal to the average person. These typically focus on a few details relevant to the people trying to determine if they want to see the movie -- so-and-so actor was good, these jokes are scatological, the plot is compelling, etc. Sometimes these are well written, but often they're meandering.

Then there are the more serious film studies people with their own, somewhat segregated sites, and those reviews are generally more insightful, but sometimes not very well argued, maybe because they assume the reader is already with them. These are often not very well written, but for different reasons than the mainstream reviews -- usually these are more focused, but often they're unnecessarily long-winded. (I think this might have something to do with the way academics vs. professional writers think about writing).

The AV Club combines the best of both these worlds. They're insightful about the whole gestalt of the movie, instead of just focusing on an assortment of details as mainstream pop-culture critics do, but then they write better than the film studies people because, well, it's more fun to read that way.

I seem to be the only person -- high- or low-brow -- who doesn't like Roger Ebert. I could (briefly) pick apart a review if you're curious. He's in the unfortunate position of needing to write a page-ish about crappy movies that don't deserve that much attention but then also needing to keep his analysis of great movies that deserve lots of attention to the same 1 page (or so) limit. More or less, I think his analyses suffer from the problem I'm ascribing to mainstream reviewers above.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 03:55:05 pm »

I seem to be the only person -- high- or low-brow -- who doesn't like Roger Ebert. I could (briefly) pick apart a review if you're curious. He's in the unfortunate position of needing to write a page-ish about crappy movies that don't deserve that much attention but then also needing to keep his analysis of great movies that deserve lots of attention to the same 1 page (or so) limit. More or less, I think his analyses suffer from the problem I'm ascribing to mainstream reviewers above.

I read criticism for pleasure; forming opinions is an incidental effect, for me. I like the way he writes, most of the time.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 02:23:16 pm »

The reviewers I mentioned all do video reviews, and I watch them because they're entertaining. I don't think they've caused many big sways in how I feel about a movie.

I like to check Rotten Tomatoes and sometimes will read someone's full review if the snippet interests me. I've read quite a few of Roger Ebert's reviews but I don't think any more or less highly of him than other movie critics.

For a good time, check out Rex Reed's reviews of any of Christopher Nolan's movies.

I've only randomly read a few reviews from the AV club, I'll have to check them out some more.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:31:53 pm »

Thanks for the tip! Never watched any before, but these things are entertaining. If I want to watch "funny ones", who would you recommend I turn to? I've watched some Confused Matthew's this far.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 11:16:07 am »

Doug Walker's "Bum Reviews" are pretty funny, but are spoiler heavy (he does warn you at the beginning of every review). He does that for the big current releases. They're usually 5-10 minutes long.
His "Nostalgia Critic" reviews are his most popular, usually 20-30 minutes long, and they're often pretty funny. He reviews movies and TV shows from the 80's and 90's, and occasionally something older or newer, and sometimes will do an "Old vs. New" review where he compares a remake to the original.
I first discovered thatguywiththeglasses.com through 5 Second Movies. They're really funny and great if you don't have a lot of time! Until you decide you must see all the 5 Second versions of all the movies you love. I just had to keep watching them.

I really enjoy Confused Matthew's reviews, and I find it funniest when he's just really pissed at a movie...definitely watch his Pirates of the Caribbean 3, Lion King, and Star Wars prequels reviews. Actually mentioning Star Wars reminds me of another site to check out--Plinkett's Star Wars reviews are awesome (and each is over an hour long I think).

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:27:31 am »

Nah, I find theguywiththeglasses just annoying. Confused Matthew is awesome though, I'm sad I already watched everything from him I'm even remotely interested in.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.