Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How the promo card in Base Cards/Dark Ages works  (Read 12170 times)

stevemarks

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
How the promo card in Base Cards/Dark Ages works
« on: September 07, 2012, 05:59:09 pm »
+3

Hey folks, just saw this interesting post over at Gizmodo about trading cards that can be read by touch screens like iPad and iPhone. The cards use a kind of ink that is interpreted by the screen as multiple simultaneous finger presses. It's pretty cool, I think.

I'm pretty certain this is how those promo cards work that are found in the Base Cards and Dark Ages boxes.

I used mine in the Goko beta and can confirm that it magically works simply by holding the card up to the screen.

http://gizmodo.com/5941313/how-does-the-ipads-touchscreen-recognize-these-trading-cards

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
Re: How the promo card in Base Cards/Dark Ages works
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »
+2

I used mine in the Goko beta and can confirm that it magically works simply by holding the card up to the screen.

So what did it actually do?
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:04:18 pm »
+1

Baked him a pie

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 07:05:05 pm »

Baked him a pie

I must go use mine now.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

stevemarks

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:47:06 pm »
+1

It gives you three more cards to play with (the "Sampler Set"): Nobles, Haven, and Hoard. This is true for both the card in Base Cards as well as the one included with Dark Ages.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:52:53 pm »
+2

It gives you three more cards to play with (the "Sampler Set"): Nobles, Haven, and Hoard. This is true for both the card in Base Cards as well as the one included with Dark Ages.
It's five; the other two are in unprogrammed sets (Hinterlands and other portions of Dark Ages).

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 02:11:53 am »

Does that mean you get a discount on a set you buy if you already have cards of it through this touchscreen thing? Otherwise there'd be no point for people who want to buy everything anyway.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 02:35:43 am »
+1

Does that mean you get a discount on a set you buy if you already have cards of it through this touchscreen thing? Otherwise there'd be no point for people who want to buy everything anyway.
No. If you are getting everything then this thing does nothing for you.

The cards are all identical, that was a thing we had to work with. So you can give your card to someone after using it, and they can too, and so on. Not everyone will end up with access to a card this way, but what we gave you had to be something we were willing to just give everyone. My suggestion was, one specific card from each large set, and that's what you get.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:41:55 am »
+2

You want a discount because you already have one card from it? That you got as a freebie? Sheesh.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:07:40 pm »

I admit I bought the Base Cards specifically to get the promo card. I also admit I'm rather disappointed that it's the same card (effect-wise) that I got for purchasing Dark Ages. this is what I get for having expectations.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »

I admit I bought the Base Cards specifically to get the promo card. I also admit I'm rather disappointed that it's the same card (effect-wise) that I got for purchasing Dark Ages. this is what I get for having expectations.

I bought the Base Cards for the awesome artwork. I wasn't really expecting much with the card, although, I do wish it unlocked the Base artwork instead because I would rather have that than 5 cards I will be getting anyway when I purchase the expansions.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 07:04:06 pm »

Finally got to play with the Base Cards IRL today and I have to say they were worth it for the artwork alone.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 04:12:21 am »

Finally got to play with the Base Cards IRL today and I have to say they were worth it for the artwork alone.

Yah, the artwork is really sweet. It beats playing with the old treasures and victories.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 05:19:08 pm »
+2

Yah, the artwork is really sweet. It beats playing with the old treasures and victories.

I will never understand why people think artwork matters to a game.  Oh, I know it does; I know it affects sales and everything.  But my brain doesn't process it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 05:38:34 pm »

Artwork is pleasing to the eye and reduces boredom by way of variety.

Dominion could be played with a bunch of white cards with just black text of the card name on each card. It woudl still be dominion but IMO it would be more  boring. Having the exact same layout for the VP and for the Treasures with the only variance being a number and the title and cost is boring compared to having context aware artwork.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 05:50:48 pm »
+2

I would probably play (and enjoy about equally) Dominion without artwork or thematic card names - just things like Discard Attack 1 on a white card. But, I'm extremely into game mechanics and usually not very cognizant of game themes. The theme and artwork probably add a small amount of enjoyment for me, but are not a large part of my experience

That said, I understand how theme and art can be a big part of the enjoyment of games for others. I even sometimes enjoy coming up with names for my fan cards (though, usually I just slap on the first somewhat relevant thing I can think of).

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 06:16:29 pm »

The new base cards make it easier to distinguish different kinds of basic treasure. That's nice. (Disclaimer: I haven't played with it in real life yet, so this is just judging from photos.)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 01:38:31 am »

It's five; the other two are in unprogrammed sets (Hinterlands and other portions of Dark Ages).

Is there going to be a secret history for how the "sampler set" was selected?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 03:15:43 am »
+2

For Intrigue, Hinterlands, and Dark Ages, I picked what I felt were "poster children" for those sets. For Prosperity I wanted a treasure; I didn't want a $7 because you weren't getting Platinum/Colony with this. Then for Seaside I wanted a duration card costing $2-$4, because the other cards were all $5-$6. I didn't want Fishing Village because I had Nobles, and Haven seemed more uh Seasidey than the other options.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 10:26:29 am »

Hey, you guys that like artwork should come check out this thread http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4537.0
There are still a few that have not been guessed!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 12:22:26 pm »

For Intrigue, Hinterlands, and Dark Ages, I picked what I felt were "poster children" for those sets. For Prosperity I wanted a treasure; I didn't want a $7 because you weren't getting Platinum/Colony with this. Then for Seaside I wanted a duration card costing $2-$4, because the other cards were all $5-$6. I didn't want Fishing Village because I had Nobles, and Haven seemed more uh Seasidey than the other options.
Now begins the guessing game for what the $5-6 "poster children" for Hinterlands and Dark Ages are :)

I would guess Border Village and Cultist.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:27:35 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 12:31:27 pm »

Now begins the guessing game for what the $5-6 "poster children" for Hinterlands and Dark Ages are :)

If it were Cultist, it'd already be available. Donald said it's in the 2/3 of Dark Ages that isn't out yet.

EDIT: Also, I'm guessing Haggler for Hinterlands. Donald has already called it the poster child of Hinterlands and we already have a $6 card in Hoard, so Border Village is unlikely.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36:26 pm »

If it were Cultist, it'd already be available. Donald said it's in the 2/3 of Dark Ages that isn't out yet.

EDIT: Also, I'm guessing Haggler for Hinterlands. Donald has already called it the poster child of Hinterlands and we already have a $6 card in Hoard, so Border Village is unlikely.

Good call. Border Village/Haggler are kind of the same in terms of what they show about Hinterlands, so I could see it either way. Cultist I thought was a good one because it has Ruins and on-trash abilities involved. I don't remember exactly what's out yet. Graverobber?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 12:53:50 pm »
+1

Rats  8)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 01:50:17 pm »

Good call. Border Village/Haggler are kind of the same in terms of what they show about Hinterlands, so I could see it either way. Cultist I thought was a good one because it has Ruins and on-trash abilities involved. I don't remember exactly what's out yet. Graverobber?

Graverobber isn't yet available. The cards that are already out are Altar, Armory, Band of Misfits, Bandit Camp, Count, Cultist, Fortress, Ironmonger, Procession, Sage, Scavenger, and Vagrant.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.