Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Translations  (Read 75332 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2014, 10:27:55 am »

Fou (Madman): Man, but these French are literal!
I can just imagine the crazy guy wandering through the woods. Really, I pity le Fou.

Escroc (Swindler): Just a fun word to say!
Is this related to the English word Escrow? Because now I'm worried that I'm asking Swindlers to hold onto my money. (And Google tells me that no, they're false cognates, although I can't find anything saying that they don't have the same origins.)

Had to upvote for "I pity le Fou," and I am disappointed in everyone that did not upvote.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2014, 10:39:38 am »

I'm always a little annoyed that "Baker" is translated in the masculine (boulanger rather than boulangère) when the illustration clearly shows a woman.
In German, they'd already used Wahrsagerin (female) for Fortune Teller, so Soothsayer had to be called... Wahrsager.

They didn't have too, they did. There are some synonyms in german as well ("Hellseherin" for example)
As far as I am aware, there are actually different print runs featuring both genders for the Guilds card.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2014, 11:53:09 am »

I can just imagine the crazy guy wandering through the woods. Really, I pity le Fou.

Is this related to the English word Escrow? Because now I'm worried that I'm asking Swindlers to hold onto my money. (And Google tells me that no, they're false cognates, although I can't find anything saying that they don't have the same origins.)

Had to upvote for "I pity le Fou," and I am disappointed in everyone that did not upvote.

I second this, as it was quite clever.  Didn't see it originally, am off to upvote now.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2014, 12:41:01 pm »

I'm always a little annoyed that "Baker" is translated in the masculine (boulanger rather than boulangère) when the illustration clearly shows a woman.
In German, they'd already used Wahrsagerin (female) for Fortune Teller, so Soothsayer had to be called... Wahrsager.

They didn't have too, they did. There are some synonyms in german as well ("Hellseherin" for example)
As far as I am aware, there are actually different print runs featuring both genders for the Guilds card.

Then how do you differentiate Fortune Teller and Soothsayer in German?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2014, 12:42:59 pm »

Oh an "touche-à-tout" for "Jack of All Trades" is a brilliant, brilliant translation, they did a great job there.

How would you re-translate "Fiers-a-bras"?  It seems to work both as "strongarm" and "braggarts".

The only context I know it from is "faire/jouer les fiers-à-bras" which basically means bragging, so I would go with "braggart" there. Not a big fan of that particular translation, I would have gone with "sbires" probably.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2014, 01:26:08 pm »

I second this, as it was quite clever.  Didn't see it originally, am off to upvote now.

Since the post was so long ago, the owed upvote has accrued interest.  You can go ahead and apply said interest to my post.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2014, 02:21:08 pm »

Oh, and if the translation is idiomatic (e.g. Blutzoll for Ill-Gotten Gains), please also leave a note giving its literal translation, like this:

* German: Blutzoll (lit. blood tax)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2014, 03:29:24 pm »

I've started adding Dutch translations to the Guilds cards, will add others soon.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2014, 03:57:52 pm »

I've started adding Dutch translations to the Guilds cards, will add others soon.

Thanks!  But could you put them above French?  I'd like for the languages to be in alphabetical (in English) order.  :)

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2014, 04:05:54 pm »
+1

Ah, yes, sure. Dutch is very important so should be first anyway  ;)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2014, 04:14:36 pm »
+9

Oh an "touche-à-tout" for "Jack of All Trades" is a brilliant, brilliant translation, they did a great job there.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2014, 04:16:54 pm »

Also!  If there's a mistake in a translation of the card text, please report it in the same section, like so:

* Spanish: Mina.
** The Spanish card text lets you gain a Treasure costing exactly {{Cost|3}} more, instead of ''up to'' {{Cost|3}} more.

This will put the errata on a sub-bullet under the name.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2014, 04:48:44 pm »

Hugovj - I put in a few Dutch translations for Alchemy, but I can't find them for Potion, Vineyard, University, or Possession.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2014, 05:12:28 pm »

I can make them up from top of my head: Toverdrank, Wijngaard, Universiteit, Bezeten (?). I'll look them up.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2014, 05:20:35 pm »
+2

Is anyone interested in translating them into Klingon? I only have a basic knowledge of Klingon, so it would help me a lot.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2014, 05:23:45 pm »

How about Sindarin?

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2014, 05:23:50 pm »

So, I have trouble finding Vineyard. I'm really sure it should be Wijngaard, but I can't find an image or something to prove it (I don't own Alchemy myself)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2014, 05:28:31 pm »

How about Sindarin?

I was thinking about Esperanto earlier.  But let's keep it to official translations for now. 

This is not me discouraging you from translating Dominion into Sindarin or Klingon - knock yourselves out, just don't put it on the wiki.  :)

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2014, 07:41:46 pm »
+4

Sindarin is for the peasants (I mean come on, that's what Legolas speaks), Quenya is the way to go.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2014, 09:02:46 am »

Someone just put in the Spanish translation for Trader (with an errata, even), but as far as I can tell, Hinterlands hasn't even been published in Spanish.  Anyone have any idea who that was?  Or if you're them, could you fill in the rest of Hinterlands?

senseless

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2014, 10:02:07 am »
+1

Someone just put in the Spanish translation for Trader (with an errata, even), but as far as I can tell, Hinterlands hasn't even been published in Spanish.  Anyone have any idea who that was?  Or if you're them, could you fill in the rest of Hinterlands?
That would be me. Hinterlands was released some time ago, and Dark Ages just a couple of months ago. I'll fill them this weekend ;)

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2014, 10:20:37 am »

Oh, and if the translation is idiomatic (e.g. Blutzoll for Ill-Gotten Gains), please also leave a note giving its literal translation, like this:

Actually tax = Steuer, where Zoll = toll, a closer translation by the word's meaning would be "death toll" .

/edit: Oh, you have this in the OP ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:27:19 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2014, 10:42:33 am »

Actually tax = Steuer, where Zoll = toll, a closer translation by the word's meaning would be "death toll" .

/edit: Oh, you have this in the OP ;D

"Blood tax" sounds cooler.  :P

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2014, 06:45:05 pm »

Here's another language enthusiast. I would like to throw in my five cents.

Most of you probably already know that "Hinterlands" is a loanword from German. The German name of the set has been acurately translated to "Hinterland" which is singular. I find it curious that in English the plural of the word is used while in German "Hinterland" doesn't actually have a plural.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2014, 06:49:46 pm »

FWIW, it's also singular in French (arrière-pays).

2 to 1, English, you lose.

What, there are other languages ?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.