Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Translations  (Read 75343 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Translations
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2013, 04:30:42 am »

Finally, my favorite:
 Young Witch  lets the other players reveal "suoja" cards. Suoja means protection in this context. However, that isn't the only meaning of suoja! Suoja also means "shelter", and IT'S ALSO THE WORD THEY USED FOR THE SHELTER CARD TYPE! ;D

So how do you select a Suoja pile during setup, when none of them cost $2 or $3?
You just select a Kingdom pile, and they become suojas (or suojat? How do you write foreign plurals in English?).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2013, 04:40:12 am »

I have one card translated into Norwegian, which is Walled Village that I got buying an expansion. Then I saw that "Action" is translated into "befaling" which translates to "command" or "order". Quite a good translation for us. Not sure what the swedish version is, the two languages being so similar.

In German "Walled Village" is called "Carcassonne". Now that's quite clever in some respect, but personally I don't like it at all.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2013, 06:14:40 am »

I have one card translated into Norwegian, which is Walled Village that I got buying an expansion. Then I saw that "Action" is translated into "befaling" which translates to "command" or "order". Quite a good translation for us. Not sure what the swedish version is, the two languages being so similar.

It's actually not translated at all, but remains "Action". Also, gain is translated to "ta upp" which means pick up. So when you play a Workshop it instructs you to pick up a card from the supply. No wonder people think the rules are hard to learn here.

Sade

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2013, 12:56:54 pm »

Finally, my favorite:
 Young Witch  lets the other players reveal "suoja" cards. Suoja means protection in this context. However, that isn't the only meaning of suoja! Suoja also means "shelter", and IT'S ALSO THE WORD THEY USED FOR THE SHELTER CARD TYPE! ;D

The funny thing is, they managed to create this sort of ambiguity twice in Dark ages: the word 'Ryöstäjä' (robber) is used as the name of both the card Rogue and the type Looter.

Other weird stuff I've spotted in the Finnish translation:

• Band of Misfits doesn't require the chosen card to be an Action.
  • Cultist is translated as 'Okkultisti' (occultist, obv). These don't mean quite the same thing, do they?
  • Abandoned Mine is simply 'Raunioitunut kaivos' (ruined mine). Not a big deal, really... but why avoid direct translating?
  • Spoils is 'Sotasaalis' (spoils of war) which sounds a bit off to me. Whatever your marauders and bandits are doing, I'm not sure if they're capable of a large-scale war.
  • Rats is just 'Rotta' (a rat). This is not the only case where a plural English card name has been singularized in Finnish and, admittedly, keeping the plural form would have made the card text a bit awkward. But man, I wouldn't want to run into a rat that can single-pawedly destroy provinces and colonies.
  • Ironmonger has another out there translation not dissimilar to Develop: 'Reppuryssä' (some sort of Russian/Karelian peddler?). Not only is the term oddly specific, but it could also be considered somewhat pejorative. The direct translation 'Rautakauppias' would have been fine, and in line with the card's functional and lexical similarity to Ironworks 'Rautapaja'.
  • Rebuild is an intriguing case in that it shows how the lack of a definite article in Finnish can cause misunderstanding. The translation is spot-on per se, but the lack of definition makes the phrase 'Trash the Victory card' possible to be interpreted as 'Trash a Victory card'.  Like a Colony. From your opponent's deck.
It's a shame how the translation quality of the Finnish Dominion has clearly declined over time. The Base set is overall pretty well translated, barring the Thief blunder, whereas Dark Ages is brimming with all manners of issues.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2013, 05:36:26 pm »

Other weird stuff I've spotted in the Finnish translation:

• Cultist is translated as 'Okkultisti' (occultist, obv). These don't mean quite the same thing, do they?
  • Rats is just 'Rotta' (a rat). This is not the only case where a plural English card name has been singularized in Finnish and, admittedly, keeping the plural form would have made the card text a bit awkward. But man, I wouldn't want to run into a rat that can single-pawedly destroy provinces and colonies.

Cultist and Occultist are certainly different in English!

And I've often wondered, couldn't Rats have been Rat Swarm, instead?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2013, 05:38:37 pm »

• Spoils is 'Sotasaalis' (spoils of war) which sounds a bit off to me. Whatever your marauders and bandits are doing, I'm not sure if they're capable of a large-scale war.

Spoils of war doesn't literally mean that the spoils have to come from war; it applies to items gained through any sort of military activity.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:53 am »

But man, I wouldn't want to run into a rat that can single-pawedly destroy provinces and colonies.

Hey, it only takes one to multiply and go crazy with the population. Well, technically, it takes two, but we can assume that each rat you buy is pregnant.
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2013, 09:17:56 am »

Rats is just 'Rotta' (a rat). This is not the only case where a plural English card name has been singularized in Finnish and, admittedly, keeping the plural form would have made the card text a bit awkward. But man, I wouldn't want to run into a rat that can single-pawedly destroy provinces and colonies.
Well, the rat might carry the plague.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2013, 06:39:36 am »

If anyone needs it: http://snk.to/f-c7tk5vry - nearly full Polish translation of all Dominion sets. 9 cards lack names (so far I haven't found suitable ones, if you have any ideas, let me know). There are some differences when compared to part translation (Base, Intrigue, Cornucopia) done by Polish publisher who recently announced they don't plan to translate and publish the remaining sets.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2013, 07:26:47 am »

Spoils of war doesn't literally mean that the spoils have to come from war; it applies to items gained through any sort of military activity.
Yes, but what does Sotasaalis mean? Maybe it has the restricted meaning Sade assumed the Engish word would have.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2013, 08:58:51 am »

Yes, but what does Sotasaalis mean? Maybe it has the restricted meaning Sade assumed the Engish word would have.
It does have the restricted meaning. What marauders and bandits typically get would be "ryöstösaalis", spoils gained through robbery.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Julle

• Bishop
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2013, 11:03:40 am »
+2

More finnish things:

-Forge doesn't say cost in coins
-Alchemist says: "when you discard this...". No during your clean-up phase clause.
-Fairgounds is called "Markkinat" which means market or fair. The correct translation would be "Huvipuisto" and it's actually called this way in Hinterlands rulebook once in one of the 10 recommended sets.
-Trading post doesn't have "if you do"
-For some reason Tactician gives "+1 ostos". It means "+1 buy" and normally it's "1 osto". It's means basically the same but still amuses me  :P.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:07:23 am by Julle »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2013, 11:14:49 am »

Hmm. Aside from Black Market shenanigans, when would you discard an Alchemist with a Potion in play other than during clean up?

I suppose you could play Venture or Loan.  Anything else?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »

More finnish things:

-Forge doesn't say cost in coins
-Alchemist says: "when you discard this...". No during your clean-up phase clause.
-Fairgounds is called "Markkinat" which means market or fair. The correct translation would be "Huvipuisto" and it's actually called this way in Hinterlands rulebook once in one of the 10 recommended sets.
-Trading post doesn't have "if you do"
-For some reason Tactician gives "+1 ostos". It means "+1 buy" and normally it's "1 osto". It's means basically the same but still amuses me  :P.
Oh and now that you mention Tactician, it also has the vanilla bonuses in the wrong order: the "+1 ostos" comes before +1 action. And the order is also wrong in Pawn.

SirPeebles: Black Market hasn't been printed in Finnish, so it's just Venture and Loan.

A while ago I noticed that Thief is a double fail. In addition to having one "may" too much, a Finnish Thief gains copies of the trashed cards instead of the trashed cards themselves.

The order of the cards in the boxes is also interesting: they are mostly in alphabetical order by their Finnish names, but Intrigue is in alphabetical order by their English names and Alchemy is ordered by their costs. In Dark Ages, Counterfeit is placed where it's placed in the English box, but other than that it's the Finnish alphabetical order.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:05:44 pm by Awaclus »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2013, 03:18:00 pm »

It does have the restricted meaning. What marauders and bandits typically get would be "ryöstösaalis", spoils gained through robbery.

The German word "Beute" is more general, meaning also "prey".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2013, 03:32:59 pm »

The German word "Beute" is more general, meaning also "prey".
Prey is just "saalis" in Finnish.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2014, 06:55:29 pm »
+5

Most sincere apologies for the necro, but I've been updating the wiki with card names in other languages.  Currently doing French and German, and will probably go back later once I find Russian.  If you speak a different language, please feel free to add in the names of the cards in your native tongue! 
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2014, 07:07:15 am »

How did I miss this thread before, I love languages !

But unfortuately German and French have already been discussed here, and that's about all i have.

I would say I was a little disappointed with a missed opportunity to translate "Ill-Gotten Gains" by "Biens mal acquis", which isn't really a thing you say on its own, but it's part of a saying "bien mal acquis ne profite jamais", which literally means "ill-gotten good never profits". It sure doesn't profit your opponent !

Argent noir (black money) is fine though.

Oh an "touche-à-tout" for "Jack of All Trades" is a brilliant, brilliant translation, they did a great job there.

I'm always a little annoyed that "Baker" is translated in the masculine (boulanger rather than boulangère) when the illustration clearly shows a woman.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2014, 07:39:13 am »

Late to the party, but i thought that Blutzoll was one of the better german translations in the game. Then i looked it up and found out that it describes the number/set of people who have died because of war (and plagues etc). Means something totally different with "Zoll" (toll) being used in a figurative way, but carries the flavour nonetheless. I think it's creative and, in a way, clever.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:40:14 am by Asper »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2014, 08:02:35 am »

In how many translations does "butcher, baker, candlestick maker" fall flat? A casual German user will wonder why such an obscure profession is taken for a card title. Also, yes, the opportunity to match the name's to the picture's gender was missed in German too, which is a bit of a rub, if you pardon the pun.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:13:56 am by ipofanes »

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:30 am »

Most sincere apologies for the necro, but I've been updating the wiki with card names in other languages.  Currently doing French and German, and will probably go back later once I find Russian.  If you speak a different language, please feel free to add in the names of the cards in your native tongue!

I may give you a hand with Russian. What exactly are you up to? Card text translations, or only card names, or full strategical articles?

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2014, 08:16:31 am »

In how many translations does "butcher, baker, candlestick maker" fall flat? A casual German user will wonder why such an obscure profession is taken for a card title.

In all of them, I would guess... Apparently it's a reference to this, which I (as someone who didn't grow up in an English-speaking country) had never heard of before Guilds came out. The translator would need to really go out of his/her way to find a suitable nursery rhyme to match the card names.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that it "falls flat," though. It's more like an easter egg that goes unnoticed by most foreigners.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:31:47 am by pedroluchini »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2014, 08:39:53 am »

I'm always a little annoyed that "Baker" is translated in the masculine (boulanger rather than boulangère) when the illustration clearly shows a woman.

In German, they'd already used Wahrsagerin (female) for Fortune Teller, so Soothsayer had to be called... Wahrsager.

That one's male, by the way.  But I guess that's consistent with the French translation being "Devin," though it weirds me out that they went out of their way to call Trader "Troqueuse."

I may give you a hand with Russian. What exactly are you up to? Card text translations, or only card names, or full strategical articles?

At the moment, just names in different languages, in the Trivia section for each card.  Do you have links to the rules in Russian for each set?  I can only seem to find Base and Intrigue online...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2014, 09:31:20 am »

I can only seem to find Base and Intrigue online...

They are the only ones officially translated to Russian.
I've found unofficial translations for other sets though, see attachment. I've read through the card names, they are mostly fine with a couple exceptions.

And here are translations for promos:
Black Market - Чёрный Рынок
Envoy - Посланник
Walled Village - Укреплённая Деревня
Governor - Губернатор
Prince - Принц
Stash - Секрет (that one is really inaccurate, but the good word is already occupied by official translation of Secret Chamber).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2014, 10:03:42 am »

Oh an "touche-à-tout" for "Jack of All Trades" is a brilliant, brilliant translation, they did a great job there.

How would you re-translate "Fiers-a-bras"?  It seems to work both as "strongarm" and "braggarts".

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Page created in 1.982 seconds with 21 queries.