Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Translations  (Read 75123 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2012, 10:37:48 am »
+1

From what I can tell (and feel free to correct me, Germanophones), Vertrauter means "confidant," which wouldn't really give the correct connotation.  I'd think Knecht or Tierknecht would be better.  But that still doesn't give the connotation of a magical connection.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 11:45:30 am »

From what I can tell (and feel free to correct me, Germanophones), Vertrauter means "confidant," which wouldn't really give the correct connotation.  I'd think Knecht or Tierknecht would be better.  But that still doesn't give the connotation of a magical connection.

I didn't know the term "confidant" until know, but from what the translators give me it seems to describe humans.  I'm pretty sure that there is (or I have read) a German term for "Familiar", certainly there are lots of Fantasy-translators that have faced this problem. Pretty sure in "Das Schwarze Auge" the Famililars of witches are called "Vertraute", and the google tells me
Quote from:  http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Hexe
Ritualmagie:    Hexenflüche, Hexensalbe, Vertrautenmagie

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2012, 01:45:17 pm »

Yeah, I guess Vertrauter is ok. The issue was the double meaning of the term and I didn't know the second meaning (animal companion).
The primary meaning is like wero suggested "confidant" or basically any person you know well and that you trust.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2012, 10:18:04 pm »
+1

Are there any Russian translations?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2012, 08:09:30 am »

I didn't know the term "confidant" until know, but from what the translators give me it seems to describe humans.  I'm pretty sure that there is (or I have read) a German term for "Familiar", certainly there are lots of Fantasy-translators that have faced this problem. Pretty sure in "Das Schwarze Auge" the Famililars of witches are called "Vertraute", and the google tells me
Quote from:  http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Hexe
Ritualmagie:    Hexenflüche, Hexensalbe, Vertrautenmagie

"Das Schwarze Auge" ist authoritative in that is a genuine German roleplay module and not some underpaid-translator-generated shit. Yet I haven't really encountered the term in German, even when it fits (Rabe Abraxas in Ottfried Preußler's Die Kleine Hexe for instance). I would have to check if the term occurs in the German dubbed version of Catweazle (the toad's Geman name is Kühlwalda, by the way).
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 08:48:56 pm »
+1

I looked at the Japanese translations; most of them seemed pretty good to me.

Minion is "choushin", which is something like "beloved retainer" -- but other than that they were normal, accurate translations.  That's no fun :)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 08:57:34 pm »

Us swedes only got Base translated. Most of it is pretty good, except Hertigdöme (Duchy) is missing a letter on the card, so it says Hertigöme. Spy's rule text says every player gets to decide if they want to keep the card or discard it. And Smithy was translated to Smed, which is (black)smith.

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2012, 09:11:09 pm »

Quote from: werothegreat on September 07, 2012, 10:39:32 am
Ill-Gotten Gains: Blutzoll.
I like the term IGG so much. "Blutzoll" has a completly different meaning, the one you already pointed out. But to be honest, I have no idea how to translate it better. As far as i know, a term like ill-gotten gains does not exist in German.
Umehrlich-verdienten-verdienst?

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2012, 02:04:00 am »

I like the term IGG so much. "Blutzoll" has a completly different meaning, the one you already pointed out. But to be honest, I have no idea how to translate it better. As far as i know, a term like ill-gotten gains does not exist in German.
'
Unehrlich verdienter Verdienst.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2012, 03:22:56 am »

'
Unehrlich verdienter Verdienst.

My suggestion "Judaslohn" (30 silver coins) only refers to gains acquired by treason, "Schwarzgeld" (black money) has the connotation of shady transfer, in the context of tax-evasion and money-laundering. I'd say both terms are close enough to "ill-gotten gains".

Volkmar

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2012, 04:40:49 am »

The Dutch version of Urchin is translated as +1 Card, +1 Buy. Probably because on the Dutch cards Buy is translated to 'Aanschaf', so the translator saw the A from Action and made this mistake.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 03:27:36 am »

I didn't anticipate the translation of "Band of Misfits" with "Vogelfreie" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogelfrei  but I must say that I quite like it.

Eistee

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 06:03:02 am »
+1

On the "Familiar"-subject: I think "Vertrauter" is a good translation. Even the German D&D-books call those beings by that name.

Overall, I like the job that H&G is doing with this game, except for a few things. For example, there are a few errors in the rulebooks. The most confusing example is "Crossroads". The rulebook says that after your first Crossroads, every next one "only gives +1 Action instead of +3". I was really confused about that one. More errors can be found in the Hinterlands-rulebook, but I won't get into those. Although it's highly unlikely / impossible, it almost seems like they got a "Beta"-rulebook. Another "good" one: Scrying Pool, which has an extremely long sentence at the end which doesn't make any sense at all. At all. Luckily, on the card itself it's fine.

Also there's a problem with some translations. For example, King's Court is missing the "You may", Chancellor as well. Also, the German Chancellor doesn't "put your pile into your discard pile", it discards your pile. So, for a German player, Tunnel does indeed activate there (unless you know it's a mistake). Sometimes, the way a card is played is different (Tournament), or the card says "If you do" when it shouldn't (Bishop). There are a few more problems, but nothing too severe, I guess. Ah, one more: Thief doesn't say "gain" but "put them into your discard pile", and Venture doesn't say "Play", but... "auslegen", which I don't really have a good translation for. ("Auslegen" is not defined anywhere in the rulebooks, by the way.)

Many Germans complained about Seaside-Cards having a more greenish back than Base and Intrigue. If you put a Base card (or any card for that matter) facedown next to a Seaside card, I'd be able to pick the Seaside card in 19 of 20 times. It's not too bad in gameplay, but still. The reason for this, according to HiG, is a different printing company.

What I cannot get over is the fact that they screwed up the "Big Box" (Base and Cornucopia combined, plus all Promo Cards minus Governeur) so much. First, many runs of the Big Box only have 9 Workshops, but 11 Woodcutters. I got lucky, it seems, since I'm not missing any cards. However, many players reported this. The biggest blunder, however: the back of Stash isn't red. It isn't even any different. It's a plain, normal back. Seems someone wasn't paying attention there...
Also, Walled Village is priced at 5 in the inlay. Not a big mistake. But still. Also, my inlay for Hinterlands is mispinted, but that can happen, I guess. What's worse: Insead of big "O"s, they used Zeros (!) on the inlays for "0asis" and "0racle". Why?

A VERY positive thing about HiG, as far as I experienced it (and heard from other players) - no complaint will go unanswered. People who complained about the missing cards got those delivered by Mail. Sometimes, they even added one or two small games. Now that's nice! Some of my Prosperity-Cards weren't in perfect condition right after unpacking (white on the borders). This also was a common problem, as far as I know. I e-Mailed them, they replied that I'd get cards in good condition if they get my address. Good!

Okay, here's my last complaint. It's an extreme nitpick, but it shows how HiG is handeling Dominion just... perfectly.

Just take a look at this picture. Take your time...

It's very likely that you haven't noticed. It's really subtle.

You ready?

The +2-coin is flipped upside down.

I have no idea how HiG managed to do this. Seems like someone accidentaly clicked the wrong button at the wrong time.
It just mirrors everything about HiG-Dominion: They are doing a fine job. But boy, if they were more cautious, it could be a lot better.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:10:20 am by Eistee »

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 06:20:25 am »
+2

The +2-coin is flipped upside down.
hol' den Vorschlaghammer...

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 04:52:22 am »

I didn't anticipate the translation of "Band of Misfits" with "Vogelfreie" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogelfrei  but I must say that I quite like it.

Also, translation of "Forager" with "Mundraub" is brilliant.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2013, 01:01:56 am »
+1

Sorry to dig this back up, but I've been going through the Russian rulebook, and I've found some funny-ass shit.

Adventurer = Искатель приключений (literally "explorer of adventures," idiomatically "adventure seeker").  That's quite a mouthful.
Cellar = Погреба (Cellars).  Why is this plural?
Festival = Ярмарка (Fair).  The funny thing about this one is that, instead of just telling you what the card does, the FAQ tells you what you should say when playing it: "I play "Fair," and there remain two Actions.  Now "Market" - still all two Actions.  And for the second time "Fair!"  I have three Actions."  This is literally what is in the FAQ for Festival.
Militia = Ополчение (Home guard).  Tee hee.  Reminds me of Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
Moat = Ров (Ditch).  ROFL
Woodcutter = Лесоруб (Lumberjack).  I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and speak Russian all day...

Also the trash pile is свалка (landfill).

I'm sad that there's only official Russian translations for Base and Intrigue.  :(

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2013, 01:19:18 am »

Some of those are weird, but what's so funny about Ров ? That really does mean moat, as in for a castle. http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A0%D0%BE%D0%B2 . And лесоруб and свалка seem reasonable too. What would you have instead?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2013, 01:19:50 am »
+1

Intrigue!

Courtyard = Внутренний двор (Interior courtyard).  Is this not redundant?  A courtyard is already in the interior of a building...
Great Hall = Зал приёмов (reception hall).  Seems... off, somehow...
Ironworks = Кузнечный цех (Blacksmith's shop).  I kinda like it.
Minion = Приспешник (accomplice).  This is always a fun one to see the translation of.
Nobles = Вельможи (dignitaries).  You'd think Russian would have a more direct word for the nobility.
Pawn = Заложник (hostage).  I really don't think this is the correct translation at all.  Lol.
Scout = Следопыт (pathfinder).  Interesting.
Secret Chamber = Тайник (hiding place).  It always fascinates me when another language has a short word for a concept that takes multiple words in English.  Even though this isn't quite an accurate translation.
Shanty Town = Трущобы (slum).  Oddly enough, this can also be translated as "jungle."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2013, 01:21:07 am »

Some of those are weird, but what's so funny about Ров ? That really does mean moat, as in for a castle. http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A0%D0%BE%D0%B2 . And лесоруб and свалка seem reasonable too. What would you have instead?

Oh, they're reasonable.  But their translations back into English are still funny.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2013, 02:09:06 am »

I agree. Once I typed Goons in a bad translator on my computer and the German translation was Idioten (idiots in English).

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2013, 04:29:08 am »

My Russian is very iffy, but here are some stabs:

Cellar = Погреба (Cellars).  Why is this plural?
Isn't that genitive singular?
Militia = Ополчение (Home guard).  Tee hee.  Reminds me of Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

The Russian word for militia, I would think, carries too much connotation with the Soviet system, where a "militsioner" was more or less a policeman. The German word "Miliz" doesn't sound very medieval to me, I would think the Russian word even less so.

Woodcutter = Лесоруб (Lumberjack).  I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and speak Russian all day...
In German translations of that Monty Python song (granted, many of the dubjobs on Monty Python didn't do the original justice) it's "Ich bin Holzfäller ...", exactly the German translation of the card name.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2013, 04:31:36 am »

Secret Chamber = Тайник (hiding place).  It always fascinates me when another language has a short word for a concept that takes multiple words in English.  Even though this isn't quite an accurate translation.

Sounds like it'd be Russian for "cache", which is an even shorter word.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2013, 02:32:49 pm »
+2

The Finnish translation is quite something.

Expansions:
Dominion -> Dominion - Valtakunta (Kingdom). Yes, they seriously named the base game in the same way the expansions are named and I don't have the slightest idea why.
 Intrigue  ->  Hovin juonet  (Court's Schemes)
 Seaside  ->  Kaukaiset rannat  (Distant Shores)
 Prosperity  ->  Nousukausi  (Upswing)
 Cornucopia  ->  Elonkorjuu  (Harvest)
 Dark Ages  ->  Katovuodet  (Years Of Crop Failure) @werothegreat: feel free to be fascinated about this.
Alchemy and Hinterlands are accurately translated.

Card types:
 Victory  ->  Piste  (point, though in Finnish the word is more strongly associated with victory points than in English)
 Treasure  ->  Raha  (money)
 Reaction  ->  Vastaveto  (riposte)
 Duration  ->  Toistuva  (repeating)
Others are accurately translated.

Card names:
 Moneylender  ->  Koronkiskuri  (loan shark)
 Festival  ->  Juhlat  (party)
 Tribute  ->  Kymmenykset  (tithe)
 Salvager  ->  Hylkysukeltaja  (wreck driver, though we don't have a word for salvager in Finnish)
 Sea Hag  ->  Merennoita  (sea witch)
 Hoard  ->  Aarre  (treasure)
 Venture  ->  Palkkio  (reward)
 Hunting Party  ->  Jahti  (hunt)
 Develop  ->  Grynderi  (real-estate developer, this word is extremely informal and I didn't even know it existed before I bought Hinterlands)
 Scavenger  ->  Haaskalintu  (vulture)
 Madman  ->  Kylähullu . This one is actually brilliant, it literally means "village madman", but unlike "village madman", it's actually a word we use in Finnish.
The verb card names (Remodel and friends) are translated into nouns, because the Finnish verbs would have admittedly sounded stupid as card names. Some card originally plural names are singular in Finnish, and vice versa, but these make little difference.

Terminology:
 Gain  ->  Ottaa  (take)
 Buy  (verb) ->  Ostaa  (accurately translated, but very easy to mix with the above)

Card texts:
 Thief  may trash the treasure.
 Library  does the thing it's supposed to do, but it's worded in an extremely confusing way.
 Smugglers  doesn't mention gaining a "copy", it just simply gains "a card costing up to $6 that the player to your right gained on his last turn".
 King's Court  doesn't "may".
 Horn of Plenty  doesn't say it's worth $0, though it's understandable because the card text is significantly longer in Finnish and takes up the whole box by itself.
 Poor House  does indeed make you lose coins and it says "a minimum of 0", but the way it's worded, "a minimum of 0" is a part of the definition for the amount of coins you lose, not the amount of coins left.
 Sage  says "Put this card into your hand" instead of "that card".

Finally, my favorite:
 Young Witch  lets the other players reveal "suoja" cards. Suoja means protection in this context. However, that isn't the only meaning of suoja! Suoja also means "shelter", and IT'S ALSO THE WORD THEY USED FOR THE SHELTER CARD TYPE! ;D

EDIT: No, I don't think the bold effect was a good idea.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:42:14 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2013, 03:13:51 pm »

Finally, my favorite:
 Young Witch  lets the other players reveal "suoja" cards. Suoja means protection in this context. However, that isn't the only meaning of suoja! Suoja also means "shelter", and IT'S ALSO THE WORD THEY USED FOR THE SHELTER CARD TYPE! ;D

So how do you select a Suoja pile during setup, when none of them cost $2 or $3?

JanN

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2013, 07:58:12 pm »

I have one card translated into Norwegian, which is Walled Village that I got buying an expansion. Then I saw that "Action" is translated into "befaling" which translates to "command" or "order". Quite a good translation for us. Not sure what the swedish version is, the two languages being so similar.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.