Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Translations  (Read 75128 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2014, 07:23:00 pm »

Is there something specific a german-speaker owning every Dominion card and seeking ways to spend time that would better be spent studying can do to help?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2014, 10:25:45 pm »

Is there something specific a german-speaker owning every Dominion card and seeking ways to spend time that would better be spent studying can do to help?

Go through the card articles and corroborate any literal translations I made?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1161
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2014, 12:04:58 am »

Here's another language enthusiast. I would like to throw in my five cents.

Most of you probably already know that "Hinterlands" is a loanword from German. The German name of the set has been acurately translated to "Hinterland" which is singular. I find it curious that in English the plural of the word is used while in German "Hinterland" doesn't actually have a plural.
Another curiosity: starting with Hinterlands, the sets have all been plural. Prior to that, the English titles were all singular.

Hinterlands
Dark Ages
Guilds
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2014, 12:41:57 am »
+2

It's official.  The next Dominion expansion name will be plural.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2014, 01:59:45 am »
+5

It's official.  The next Dominion expansion name will be plural.
Dominion: Gunpowders.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2014, 08:00:42 am »

OT: Tinkering with German rules for games played with the Decktet I found that English suits are plural (clubs, spades, hearts, diamonds) while most German suits are singular (Kreuz, Pik, Herz, Karo, but Schippen and Schellen).
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2014, 08:06:40 am »

Here's another language enthusiast. I would like to throw in my five cents.

Most of you probably already know that "Hinterlands" is a loanword from German. The German name of the set has been acurately translated to "Hinterland" which is singular. I find it curious that in English the plural of the word is used while in German "Hinterland" doesn't actually have a plural.
Another curiosity: starting with Hinterlands, the sets have all been plural. Prior to that, the English titles were all singular.

Hinterlands
Dark Ages
Guilds

Well Dark Ages doesn't have a singular in English, it's a time period, which is always pluralised (for some reason).
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2014, 08:28:54 am »

Sure. Are we talking just the card names? I don't think i have seen anything else.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2014, 08:47:43 am »

Hinterlands
Dark Ages
Guilds

Well Dark Ages doesn't have a singular in English, it's a time period, which is always pluralised (for some reason).

Maybe it was so dark that we can't see how many of them there were? As opposed to the Bronze Age, the Industrial Age, the Age of Consent etc.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2014, 09:18:03 am »

Dominion: Grammars

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2014, 11:43:28 am »

Sure. Are we talking just the card names? I don't think i have seen anything else.

That is correct.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2014, 02:52:45 pm »

So adding translations to the articles has been going pretty well!  However, I think I've reached the extent of what Google can scrounge up for me in finding official card names.  It's time to call in some native speakers.  Here's what we still need:

Dutch: Seaside, Prosperity, Cornucopia, Dark Ages, Promo
Italian: Pretty much everything (working on this myself, but the cardlist I found is just a list, and does not have the official cards, so if I put up a wrong translation, and you have the set in Italian, please fix it!)
Spanish: A couple promo cards
Finnish: Everything (Awaclus?  Eevee?  Think I saw someone else Finning around)
Swedish: Everything
Chinese: Everything (please include transliterations)
Greek: Everything
Hungarian: Everything
Japanese: Everything (please include transliterations)
Korean: Everything (please include transliterations)
Norwegian: Everything
Polish: Everything
Portuguese: Everything
Romanian: Everything

Obviously, not all sets have been released in every language (Russian has only been released in Base and Intrigue), so just do as much as you can.  And please add a literal translation if it's not a direct translation.

senseless

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 25, 2014, 03:05:21 pm »

Spanish: A couple promo cards

Only Alijo (Stash) and Pueblo Amurallado (Walled Village) have been released :(
The other would be something like Enviado (Envoy), Mercado Negro (Black Market), Gobernador (Governor) and Príncipe (Prince).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 25, 2014, 11:04:32 pm »

I've done Italian through Hinterlands, and Polish in Base and Intrigue. It's rather weird - it seems Polish has only been translated for Base, Intrigue and Cornucopia - what about all the other expansions in between?

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2014, 10:19:22 am »

I am currently working on whole-card translations in Brazilian Portuguese. I watched some Youtube videos of Brazilians playing Dominion with English cards so I assume there is no official Portuguese translation. I'm doing this for fun and to practice my written Portuguese.

I can add Portuguese card titles to the Wiki and try to be as literal as possible, although sometimes translations for different cards can overlap. I those cases, I would try and comply with the Spanish translations (which are not always literal or accurate). Should I go ahead and do that?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2014, 01:00:33 pm »

I am currently working on whole-card translations in Brazilian Portuguese. I watched some Youtube videos of Brazilians playing Dominion with English cards so I assume there is no official Portuguese translation. I'm doing this for fun and to practice my written Portuguese.

I can add Portuguese card titles to the Wiki and try to be as literal as possible, although sometimes translations for different cards can overlap. I those cases, I would try and comply with the Spanish translations (which are not always literal or accurate). Should I go ahead and do that?

It seems there has already been a Portuguese translation by Runadrake, but it also seems that Runadrake has gone out of business or something, because the link to their website goes to some shitty blog.  There is also apparently a Brazilian Portuguese edition in the works.  I'd prefer official over unofficial translations on the wiki, please.

Links:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/76342/portuguese-edition

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/252327/brazilian-edition

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2014, 05:44:09 pm »

Well, I can't seem to find any original Portuguese translations on the internet so you have to rely on some Portuguese or Brazilian person who owns a physical copy of the game. Anyway, I sincerely doubt they translated much more than Base and Intrigue.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2014, 07:18:41 pm »

Well, shoot me a PM with what you've got translated for base.  If it looks good, I'll give you a go ahead to put it up there.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2014, 03:57:29 am »

Wow, I never knew Portuguese versions existed!

Co0kieL0rd, let me know if you want help from a native speaker with your pt-br translations. (Btw, in this BGG image gallery we can see some cards from the pt-pt base set.)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2014, 11:02:28 am »

Well, shoot me a PM with what you've got translated for base.  If it looks good, I'll give you a go ahead to put it up there.
I'll check with pedroluchini first ;) I bet my stylistic choices in the card texts are not always the best.

Wow, I never knew Portuguese versions existed!

Co0kieL0rd, let me know if you want help from a native speaker with your pt-br translations. (Btw, in this BGG image gallery we can see some cards from the pt-pt base set.)

I would appreciate your help! Are you Portuguese or Brazilian? Would you like to look at the whole card translations or just the card names?
Check out my fan cards!

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2014, 11:51:51 am »

I am Brazilian. You can send me the whole card text, if you want. :)

P.S.: Though I kind of agree with werothegreat that maybe the Wiki (and this thread) is not the best place to discuss fan translations.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:53:44 am by pedroluchini »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2015, 11:47:39 am »

P.S.: Though I kind of agree with werothegreat that maybe the Wiki (and this thread) is not the best place to discuss fan translations.

Then where would be a better place?
Check out my fan cards!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2015, 12:31:12 pm »

Then where would be a better place?

This forum?

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2015, 06:15:34 pm »

@Co0kieL0rd: Yeah, you could start a new thread or just PM me. I enjoy looking at translations -- Dominion card names are tricky words whose meaning can be hard to capture in other languages, and I'm genuinely interested in seeing how others handle the problem.

By the way, I've been looking through the translated card names out of curiosity and I see some of them include a comment, e.g. for Peddler:

Italian: Ambulante (lit. wanderer)

Now, I also speak Italian and that doesn't sound right. It's true that ambulante means wanderer, but in this context what's meant is probably venditore ambulante. A literal translation back to English would be wandering vendor, i.e. a hawker or... a peddler. In the end, the Italian card name is pretty accurate, though it goes through a few etymological loops.

I dunno, is there an interest in this sort of short analysis (kind of like Bulbapedia does for Pokémon names)?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:16:45 pm by pedroluchini »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2015, 10:51:52 am »

By the way, I've been looking through the translated card names out of curiosity and I see some of them include a comment, e.g. for Peddler:

Italian: Ambulante (lit. wanderer)

Now, I also speak Italian and that doesn't sound right. It's true that ambulante means wanderer, but in this context what's meant is probably venditore ambulante. A literal translation back to English would be wandering vendor, i.e. a hawker or... a peddler. In the end, the Italian card name is pretty accurate, though it goes through a few etymological loops.

I dunno, is there an interest in this sort of short analysis (kind of like Bulbapedia does for Pokémon names)?

I'm curious to see what native speakers think of the translations of card names into their languages. As for Peddler, I would have translated it with Ambulante in Portugues as well.

Another example: Do you think of "Forge" as a verb or a noun? Remodel, Expand, Rebuild are examples of verbs as card names, but what about Forge? Is it intended to mean something similar to "fake"/"imitate" or rather "Furnace"? If you look at the translations on the wiki, the publishers obviously had differing opinions about that. I wanted to translate Forge into Portugues with "Imitação" rather than "Forja" like the Spanish translation. (I translated Smithy with Forja, and Ironworks with Ferraria.) What do you think about that?

EDIT: Oops sorry, I should have started a new thread, as you said. But I'm not sure how to introduce the topic, yet.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:55:34 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.