Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Apothecary / Native Village  (Read 11515 times)

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
Combo: Apothecary / Native Village
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:34:08 am »

I just feel great about this particular deck combo, as it has no problem "going green" and has low chance of ever faltering, particularly with a few of the support cards present in this set: 

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201108/10/game-20110810-081535-37201fe4.html

Apothecary/Native village team up to put all of your non-copper/potion cards on the native mat.
2-3 Apothecary draws you up to a strong buying power early on and midgame allows you to get through to your (few!) actions.  Native village takes out all of the green that you buy, usually without you having to ever draw it.

Support cards:
Labs (Any NTD): Get you through whatever non-copper cards your apothecary left on top that you don't want to lose to native village and helps you draw into 2nd-3rd apothecaries if your 5cards whiff
Forge: Honorable mention this game, as it turned my 3estate silver native village mat into platinum (and allowed me to buy a 2nd platinum on the same turn before going back into hiding in the native village)

Failures: Leaving 7 copper in your deck, even with the rest of the deck being only 5-6 cards, means you are prone to drawing 5copper or 4copper NV hands.  Still, when this deck got firing, it bought 6 colonies in 9 turns and started quite early.  It should be considerably better at provinces, only needing to buy copper instead of platinum.

Questions:  Was the 2nd platinum a mistake?  In theory, 1 plat + 6 of 7 copper is all it takes to make a colony, and only 1 of the 6 colony buys was made with less than 6$ copper.

Obviously this deck needs to keep as high a density of Apothecary and copper as possible to be consistent.

play2draw

Re: Combo: Apothecary / Native Village
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:08:53 pm »

The next time I see Apothecary/Native Village/Mint on the board, I'm trying this  ;D

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:41:10 pm »

The next time I see Apothecary/Native Village/Mint on the board, I'm trying this  ;D
What're you planning to do with mint?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 02:05:12 pm »

It's a nice idea. Last time I tried it I could never draw the native villages and apothecaries together so it crashed badly. There are a lot of other 'top of deck' combinations that work very well with the apothecary and they are often worth exploring too.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:41:36 pm »

Apothecary, in my experience, is ignored more often than it should, especially when it is the only potion card.  There are a myriad of tricks to pull with it, and even by itself it can clear out weaker cards for a better future hand; think Scout that actually can improve the hand when it is played.  It has lots of nifty combos, from Wishing Well to Warehouse or Cellar, or to set up a strong Mint buy or a great Bank hand.  I even have used it in a Minion deck to improve Minion cycling, and to help get a KC/KC/X hand together, or to help boost Vault.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:46:46 pm »

It's also possibly the single best card to pair with coppersmith (only other option being tactician).

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 04:48:34 am »

I love Apothecary, mainly because I dislike trashing games. I mean, I'll trash cards when I need to, but I'd rather not be forced to open Chapel and play a very boring big-money game that plays out exactly like every other big-money game ever. Apothecary gives you other options. It effectively trashes the Coppers out of your deck (in the sense that they're not going to be getting in the way of anything anymore) while still allowing you to spend them.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110807-034912-cb9b3fe8.html

In this game I used Apothecaries to allow me to spam Coppers with my Goons from a very early point. My opponent had to buy Coppers with his extra buys too to try to keep up, but because I had Apothecaries and he didn't, he fell behind and it cost him the game. It's worth noting here that I opened Potion when Apothecary was the only Potion-cost card available, and this was my plan from the very start. Also on turn 8 I mis-clicked and bought a Hamlet when I could afford an Apothecary because I am a retard.

Finally, I have an Effect With/out of 1.66/1.41 with Apothecary. It is definitely an underrated card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.278 seconds with 20 queries.