Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How often can you play the same card (physically the same) in one turn?  (Read 2554 times)

Asubfive

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile

The goal of this challenge is to play the same card multiple times in the same turn.
Here "the same card" means physically the same card, not multiple cards with the same name.

Possession and Outpost turns count as separate turns.

For example, in Base Dominion, every card can be played at most 2 times (by TR'ing it).
But in general it's possible that played cards are moved from the play area to other locations and then be played again later.

1) Which cards can be played more than 3 times? (3 is trivial due to KC.)

2) Give a turn in which one card is played as often as possible.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: How often can you play the same card (physically the same) in one turn?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »

43 is really easy with fortress, and while I imagine it can go a lot higher than that, I'm not thinking of anything else off the top of my head.

Just procession it ten times and BoM as procession it another ten, then KC it.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:47:18 pm »

43 is really easy with fortress, and while I imagine it can go a lot higher than that, I'm not thinking of anything else off the top of my head.

Just procession it ten times and BoM as procession it another ten, then KC it.

Pshhhhh I'm being silly! You can KC and TR those processions! So lemme do the calculations on that.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »

There was an answer here that I was going to quote. They had it at 120 but I'm pretty sure 123 would be more like it since the Fortress is still in your hand after the last procession and I'm pretty sure you still have KCs left.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 04:55:40 pm »

There was an answer here that I was going to quote. They had it at 120 but I'm pretty sure 123 would be more like it since the Fortress is still in your hand after the last procession and I'm pretty sure you still have KCs left.

I deleted my post because I figured you'd ninjaed me.  :)

Anyway, for posterity, my answer was 120 because you can KC 20 Processions, each of which plays the same Fortress twice. You don't have any KCs left after doing this—but you could get it to 122 by playing that Fortress one more time with a Throne Room once it's back in hand.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:57:47 pm by AJD »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 05:10:53 pm »

I deleted my post because I figured you'd ninjaed me.  :)

Anyway, for posterity, my answer was 120 because you can KC 10 Processions, each of which plays the same Fortress twice. You don't have any KCs left after doing this—but you could get it to 122 by playing that Fortress one more time with a Throne Room once it's back in hand.

I'm used to being ninja'd on posts like this so I figured I'd post the first thing that popped into my head and then work on optimizing it later! XD Silly that I didn't think of KC right off. And also I'm 99% sure there's one more action that can be done thrice in the KC chain but I had to write it out for myself to be sure. KC-(KC-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-Proc)-BoM-Fortress). Sorry about the horrible notation, obviously I should frequent this forum a little more...

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:17:46 pm »

Silly that I didn't think of KC right off. And also I'm 99% sure there's one more action that can be done thrice in the KC chain but I had to write it out for myself to be sure. KC-(KC-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-Proc)-BoM-Fortress). Sorry about the horrible notation, obviously I should frequent this forum a little more...

I can't quite follow your notation there, but I don't think that works. What KC is KCing the last BoM and Fortress there? To get it up to 120 you have to start by TRing the first KC; that's necessary to get you up to 20 KCed Processions.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 05:20:44 pm »

Silly that I didn't think of KC right off. And also I'm 99% sure there's one more action that can be done thrice in the KC chain but I had to write it out for myself to be sure. KC-(KC-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-KC)-(Proc-BoM-Proc)-BoM-Fortress). Sorry about the horrible notation, obviously I should frequent this forum a little more...

I can't quite follow your notation there, but I don't think that works. What KC is KCing the last BoM and Fortress there? To get it up to 120 you have to start by TRing the first KC; that's necessary to get you up to 20 KCed Processions.

Oh yeah you're right. I was...being dumb. So yeah, TR to get the penultimate action in that chain KC'd and then another TR to play it another two times. So 122 is the number to beat.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 07:27:24 pm »

Anyway, another card that can be replayed multiple times is just about any treasure, actually: play Horn of Plenty, gain Mandarin, top-deck all treasures in play; play a Venture to re-play whatever treasure you left on top; play another Horn of Plenty to gain another Mandarin, and so on.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:14:12 pm »

Don't forget you can Graverob/Rogue the TR, Procession and BoM (and KC after a Highway) so you can play them even more times on your undying Fortress.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 08:49:42 pm »

Just as a note: You can't get 20 plays of procession since BoM can only immitate it if there is a copy left in the supply. So at most you get 19 plays of it. So you can TR to kick off a KC chain play 19 Processions x 2 x 3 = 114 plus you can use the final KC to play the fortress bringing you up to 117.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 09:14:30 pm »

This might be able to be optimized a bit more but I can get 171 plays.

OK, so we start off by playing a procession, BoM(procession) chain. We can play 19 fortresses doubled = 38 plays. All but the first procession are trashed. We can then use a throne room chain to play 9 graverobbers to rescue all of the trashed processions and BoMs. We only need 9 TRs for this. Draw them however. Start another Procession chain. 18 plays of fortress doubled gives 36 plays. 17 of the processions are trashed. Play one KC on another KC to play 2 rogues tripled and the last TR to play 3 rogues double and then play the other 5 rogues. This rescues 17 processions. Now start a KC chain. You have 8 KC's so you can play 15 actions. Play 15 processions tripled to get 15*2*3 = 90 plays. Use an armory to gain the last procession from the supply. Draw it an play your last 3 processions for 6 more plays. Finally play the fortress for 1 play.

In total we have 38+36+90+6+1 = 171 plays of fortress.

EDIT: Math
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:21:12 pm by jonts26 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.