Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Catacombs  (Read 4236 times)

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
Catacombs
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:55:40 am »

I haven't seen really any discussion about Catacombs on here (point me to where if there is some), but it really seems like Catacombs is going to be a real power card and Catacombs/BM is going to be tough to beat on many boards. Having two different choices on which 3 cards to draw is great, but the ability to cycle through the deck super fast seems to be the real power. I played a game where I bought a Catacombs and then on the next 3/4 turns was able to use it. 3 out of 4 turns where I had 7 card hands. That's pretty lucky, of course, but the card really gives you power over the reshuffle. I would imagine it would be really solid in engines as well, where you can draw 3 cards and if you don't get the engine parts you need to keep going, you can just discard and draw again. I'm pretty excited about this card.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Re: Catacombs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:59:42 am »

I think it's quite good for BM (power level in the range of Embassy and Vault), but for engines it's even better. No engine components to draw? Well, let's try the next three cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:39:56 am »

Yeah, I mentioned Catacombs in my first thread about playing Dark Ages. I definitely think it's going to be among the best card draw; quite possibly better than Embassy for card draw. This is something that can be great in both BM and engines.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:40:44 pm »

And, this makes me wondering why Hunting Grounds is in the same set. I know if Catacombs and Hunting Grounds were on the same board, I would take Catacombs over it every time, even on a $6. Although, I would probably hit $5 first so it really wouldn't matter.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:44:50 pm »

And, this makes me wondering why Hunting Grounds is in the same set. I know if Catacombs and Hunting Grounds were on the same board, I would take Catacombs over it every time, even on a $6. Although, I would probably hit $5 first so it really wouldn't matter.

Hunting Grounds is better than catacombs on boards with trashing, at the end of the day it has 1 extra dig, and if you have some light trashing you switch your hunting grounds into duchies on your final turn to get a win over your catacombs opponent. This was recently the case in a local tourney I played in and I won the game off the 2 duchies I got on the last turn.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 02:03:19 pm »

Hunting Grounds is better than catacombs on boards with trashing, at the end of the day it has 1 extra dig, and if you have some light trashing you switch your hunting grounds into duchies on your final turn to get a win over your catacombs opponent. This was recently the case in a local tourney I played in and I won the game off the 2 duchies I got on the last turn.

This is true, but I think the opportunity to trash Hunting Grounds where it is to your benefit will rarely come up.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 02:12:00 pm »

This is true, but I think the opportunity to trash Hunting Grounds where it is to your benefit will rarely come up.

In an engine deck where you draw your deck using hunting grounds and a village with some light trashing it will easily come up. That said the board obviously has to have the 3 things needed (a village, hunting grounds, and a light trasher)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:23:54 pm »
+1

I think Hunting Grounds is perfectly priced.  If we think about the other +Cards in their most basic forms:

Ruined Library - +1 Card - $0
Moat - +2 Cards (and some other whatsit) - $2
Smithy - +3 cards - $4
Hunting Grounds +4 Cards (and some other whatsit) - $6
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 02:44:23 pm »

I think Hunting Grounds is perfectly priced.  If we think about the other +Cards in their most basic forms:

Smithy - +3 cards - $4

Madman - +4 cards - $0
Second Madman - +7 cards - $0
Third Madman - +13 cards - $0
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 02:47:38 pm »

Smithy - +3 cards - $4

Madman - +4 cards - $0
Second Madman - +7 cards - $0
Third Madman - +13 cards - $0

the opportunity cost of a madman is far higher than 0 and he is a one shot. (You have to skip a buy for a card that doesn't even stay in your deck, and its a second shuffle buy in the best case scenario because you have to have a hermit to play)

I have found Madman to be very ignorable on most boards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 20 queries.