Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Not Another Storage Solution Thread!  (Read 27830 times)

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
Not Another Storage Solution Thread!
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:06:20 pm »

But yeah, that's exactly what this is. I need to efficiently store Dominion. I've decided that BCW baseball card boxes are my best bet. I figure I have a few options and would like some help in terms of deciding my best bet.

Option A) 5 660-card boxes. The lay-out would be as follows:
  1. Base, Cornucopia
  2. Intrigue, Alchemy
  3. Seaside, Prosperity
  4. Hinterlands, Promos, (Base Cards)
  5. Dark Ages, (Guilds)

Pros: Lots of boxes make set-up/clean-up faster. I can only bring one or two boxes if I so desire.
Cons: 5 boxes is kind of hard to carry. It's just awkward.

Option B) 2 1600-card boxes. The lay-out is as follows:
  1. Base, Seaside, Hinterlands, Promos, (Base Cards)
  2. Intrigue, Prosperity, Dark Ages, (Guilds)

Pros: Only two boxes.
Cons: Boxes are heavy. Top can fall off during transportation (doesn't do well when inverted).

Option C) 1 enourmous 3200-card box.

Pros: Well, it's hard to forget and leave some of the cards behind.
Cons: It's huge and heavy. You have to take all of the cards. It has a top, and thus the same issues as the 1600-card boxes.

Option D) Several smaller boxes. Each expansion would get it's own box, possibly with Base's and Intrigue's Base Cards separated into their own boxes.

Pros: With 3+ players, set-up and clean-up are much faster. You only bring what is necessary, nothing more.
Cons: Like with the 5-box option, it might be awkward to transport, and easy to inadvertently leave something behind.

Also, is it worthwhile to purchases official dividers, or would index cards be sufficient?

I acknowledge that no matter what I do, transportation will indeed be heavy and awkward. Right now, I'd say that I would rank them A, B, D, C from best to worst. What do you think? I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say.

Thanks it advanced, fam.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Not Another Storage Solution Thread!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:54:55 pm »

Option B or C is probably your best bet. With B, you can stack the two boxes on each other and that might be easier to carry than one big box. But, I have a 5000 Count box, and really, I don't think it is that big. A little heavy, maybe, but it really isn't that bad.

agrajag

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 03:56:45 pm »

I have 660 card boxes, using index cards as dividers. I have everything currently released except Alchemy with sleeves and they fit into only 4 660 boxes with room to spare (although I don't include the randomizers in my boxes so that saves some space). I think it might be possible to get away with only 4 boxes even with Alchemy and Guilds, especially if you don't sleeve them.

I also am considering putting the common cards in their own box. That way I can grab just that plus whichever expansion(s) I want to play with if I don't want to carry everything. If you plan on carrying boxes around a lot (to other people's houses for example) it might be beneficial to buy a bunch of smaller boxes for each expansion instead of putting multiple expansions into a 660 box so that its easier to just grab one and/or fit things into a bag. Even 660s are better than 1600 or bigger for bag-fitting purposes (I used to have everything in the base Dominion box and this is way better).

Also separating into multiple boxes helps with weight and cleanup. It's easier to carry multiple smaller boxes rather than one big one, even though it would weigh the same total amount. And when you're putting cards away or taking new ones out, multiple people can help if the cards are spread out amongst several boxes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:58:55 pm by agrajag »

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 04:59:58 pm »

Funny how two responses can have such different pieces of advice. The thing with option D is that having at least 7 boxes is worrisome, though, I guess I am leaning towards A or D at the moment. Even if you don't employ the BCW storage solution, please weigh in!

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »

I did option C. The box isn't unwieldily large or heavy. Sure, it is big. Sure, it is heavy. But not excessively. I find it incredibly convenient. I play at friends' houses almost as often as at my own, and this is just the easiest thing - I know I never have left something behind. It did initially slow down clean up and set up, as only one person can be getting at the box, rather than one person per expansion, but once we got used to it, we can now set up and take down about as easily as before. We can usually clear the deck in the time it takes for the next deck to be selected (choose which expansions, shuffle blue decks (we keep the expansion randomizers separated), and draw X cards from each chosen expansion).
Having the dividers in there, marking the end of one expansion and the beginning of the next helped a lot more than I thought. Having the dividers in there that mark out each individual card are a necessity.
End of the day, the 1-box solution for me was easiest because it reduced the risk of me dropping the box. The weight is the same whichever way you go (many boxes might be slightly more heavy), and there is, for me, the risk of not grabbing all my boxes.

As an aside - does anyone know if the guy who put up the dividers for the other expansions has them up yet for Dark Ages? I need to get them printed out so my DA box isn't a dreaded second box.  :)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »

Option C is not bad: http://i.imgur.com/8uwVZ.jpg is that option sitting inside the Big Box.

Unless you're trying to juggle the box, losing the lid is not a serious concern. The Big Box lid is deep enough to cover and stay on the cards. The solution to not turning it upside down is, well, don't. It's a big box, it has a clear top and bottom; this is not rocket science.

As for weight, the whole thing is about 15 lbs according to my bathroom scale. I don't want to carry it for a couple of miles, but for walking from the car to a friend's house it works fine.

Edit: this includes all the Dark Ages cards but only 1 set of the basic cards (in this case, the Base set copies  of Copper/Silver/etc. but not the Intrigue or Base cards). The sumpfork file on BGG has been updated to include DA cards.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:14:26 pm by philosophyguy »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:14:26 pm »
+1

What you can do with option A is to just make your own box that contains those 4-5 boxes...

agrajag

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 01:30:01 am »

RE: the weight

Obviously it comes out to be the same weight no matter which you do (with multiple smaller boxes maybe having slightly more total weight since theres extra cardboard). But having done it both ways, I think carrying smaller boxes that each weigh less is nicer than one big one one. During transport I guess it makes no difference, but carrying around while you're playing or at your own house I find it easier. Plus with smaller boxes I find it easier to reconfigure in a way that fits in various bags (the giant 3200 would not fit in the backpack I use to transport four 660 boxes). In my mind using smaller boxes gives you more flexibility with no downsides.

I should also mention that I don't include any of the game mats (islands, pirate ship, etc) in my boxes which also lets me fit more in fewer boxes.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:43:13 am »
+1

Option E!

I've wanted a good storage solution for a long time, and a good friend of mine just figured it out. He's a long time Magic player, and he's got all these large ring binders with card slot folders like these:

And one day it just clicked for him. Now he's got one of these binders with the following sets: Base, Intrigue, Seaside, Cornucopia, Hinterlands.
He would need a second binder for Prosperity, Alchemy, Dark Ages and Guilds, but well - that's not a problem. These folders are really easy to move and to use and don't weigh a ton. He made a kind of belt out of duct tape to keep it close when moving. The fat stacks of basic treasure are kept underneath the binder rings. 

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:19:41 am »

Re: the weight for option C. My bathroom scale gives me a rough estimate of 15 lbs. Not great for walking across town, but very manageable for going from home to car to friend's house.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:23:52 am »

I'm using option E as well. A big Magic binder stores all sets. And I have a separate Magic box for the common stuff (Randomizer cards, Provinces, Coppers, Embargo tokens...). I'll have to get a second binder to fit in Dark Ages, but I'm pretty happy with this solution.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:00:16 am »
+1

I play IRL a lot, and since i own the cards, i have to bring them to the party.

I use card protector sleeves. You can easily fit 10 Kingdom cards in one sleeve. Money, Curses and Ruins cards are split in groups of 10. victory cards, Potions and Platinum go in one sleeve as well.

That leaves you with a lot of packs that you can be put upright in your favorite Dominion box (the platic inlet has to go). Putting them upright in sleeves makes them really easy to sort, and the card protectors mark the spot to put them back in. There is a place at the side of the box for the mats, and just enough space to fit in guilds as well.

Voila: all expansions in one box, but boy is it heavy.

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 05:59:49 pm »

See the reason that I am ruling out options B and C, I guess, is that I want to, if in a pinch, be able to grab just one or two sets and go. By having everything together, that's not possible. Also, when teaching someone, bringing all 3000 cards will terrify them. Just bringing 800 or so is much more reasonable.

I guess that kind of eliminates E as well, which I had considered a few years back. I used it for the Base set and some of the slots in the pages broke. Admittedly, they were old pages, but, boy was it annoying.

I'm still unsure about whether I am going for A or D, though. Feedback appreciated!

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 08:42:31 am »

I do something like A, but using 800 card boxes (I think that's what they are) that exactly the same as those linked. I get Base, Intrigue, Prosperity, Seaside, Hinterlands and Cornucopia into 2 boxes with a piece of foam at each end. box 3 has the card mats, the randomizers, the spare set of money, and the tokens etc. (No alchemy)

I group mine by card type with home-made, colour-coded dividers, then just chuck them into those types in no particular order. It can take a while to find the actions, these days, but it means that pack-away time is less.

Ups:
- flexible - I can easily take a curated selection on holiday
- has no finite size (imagine if all + guilds only just fits in to one massive box and then another expansion comes out....oh dear, now 2 massive boxes)

Downs:
- bit more hassle to take (they can fall off the top of the games pile when I'm carrying them)
- can spill over into another box and so it's relatively empty

Are you going to divide them up by expansion for sure? What's your main reason for that?

Personally I would (and did after some thought) go for the smaller boxes. It's worked out fine for me, but you might need some foamy bumpers to pad them out.

PS - consider getting the ones where the lid lifts right off. Having the lid still attached if much better for transport as it won't come off, but less good for play as it's more fiddly to get the cards out and less easy to browse. I'm not sure which is better to be honest. I use rubber bands to keep the lids on and my lids come right off. (randomly both types arrived in the post, but I still chose the lid-off type)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:45:03 am by Octo »

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:29:53 am »

Ah, the order must be submitted today! I have not yet decided, for I do not like to make decisions like these. I will always wonder about whether one of the other boxes would have been better, but will never be able to know for sure.

What I didn't tell people was that I intend on flying these Dominion cards, so I do think that having a built-in top, instead of one that can be removed, is necessary. Regardless, I am either going for 660's or 300's. I just wish I had one of each in front of me for experimentation purposes.

I'm still leaning towards option A. I mean, I know this isn't a very big deal, and that no matter what I do, it'll be better than the original boxes, but for some strange reason, this feels important to me.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »

Dude....the boxes are cheap as hell. So cheap that when the company sent me the wrong ones they didn't bother asking for them back, they just sent me 10 more of the right ones. Buy both types (small/large) and just stop worrying!! :)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 02:16:42 pm »

I'm looking for a local supplier for the 5,000ct bcw box. Shipped from bcw one is going to run $15 which isn't crazy but I'd like to land one for under $10.

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is to find out if anyone has a line on a template for the dividers in vertical aspect. It seems all the ones I'm finding at BGG are for horizontal aspect. I suppose I could alter the horizontal ones to work vertical but it would be about as tedious as redoing the whole thing from the ground up.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 02:20:37 pm »

These are the tabs that I've been using, and he just updated for Dark Ages.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64399/simple-clean-black-and-white-dominion-dividers

Very happy with them personally. I just use card stock and then highlight the names with their respective colors for treasure, reaction, duration, etc.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 02:48:32 pm »

These are the tabs that I've been using, and he just updated for Dark Ages.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64399/simple-clean-black-and-white-dominion-dividers

Very happy with them personally. I just use card stock and then highlight the names with their respective colors for treasure, reaction, duration, etc.

I use those tabs as well; they're great.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 02:52:29 pm »

Thanks, tagged that submission to be grouped with all the other "dividers"
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 03:45:56 pm »

I'm looking for a local supplier for the 5,000ct bcw box. Shipped from bcw one is going to run $15 which isn't crazy but I'd like to land one for under $10.

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is to find out if anyone has a line on a template for the dividers in vertical aspect. It seems all the ones I'm finding at BGG are for horizontal aspect. I suppose I could alter the horizontal ones to work vertical but it would be about as tedious as redoing the whole thing from the ground up.

That's way too much. I think where I live they cost like $2 or $3. That's around what I've paid for them in the past. Try calling card shops that sell sports cards. They tend to have them, and they will sell them to you for a good price.

agrajag

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 05:36:15 pm »

Yeah try to find a local card or game store. Most of them will sell boxes in various sizes for around $2 bucks or less each.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59:37 pm »

This is completely beside the point, but we're all fam right?
Just wandering how you(dubdubdubdub) got a photo to show up on the forum.  I tried copying it from my pics and nothing happened.  Maybe need to have it online first to copy URL?
Thanks guys!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 06:07:58 pm »

Yeah, you need to upload it somewhere online.  I usually use http://imgur.com

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 06:09:53 pm »

This is completely beside the point, but we're all fam right?
Just wandering how you(dubdubdubdub) got a photo to show up on the forum.  I tried copying it from my pics and nothing happened.  Maybe need to have it online first to copy URL?
Thanks guys!

I take it you haven't seen the meme thread :P
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.