Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Madman works  (Read 4304 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Madman works
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:51:29 pm »
+3

So maybe this should go in game reports now that Dark Ages has been released... played a few more games tonight IRL. 2 player match; I went Madman while my opponent went Mercenary. Urchin/Mercenary was hurting more than I expected. While I was building up who-knows what, my opponent bought 4 Provinces and a Duchy while I still had 0 VP.

Then it happened... played 3 Madmen on my turn. With no other card draw available; that's a 26 card hand... which happened to be exactly my entire deck. With 3 Death Carts, 2 Mercenaries, and lots of Squires alternating between +2 actions and +2 buys, I managed to have 46 money and 8 buys... exactly enough for 4 Provinces, 2 Duchies, and 2 Estates, FTW.

In other Dark-Ages opinions, I believe Wandering Minstrel will prove to be among the top Villages; even among the top $4 cards. Yes there were quite a few plays where it discarded Gold, but it more than made up for that with the times that it discarded Curses and Victory cards. Definitely weaker with Ruins around, though.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Madman works
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:11:42 am »
+1

With regards to Wandering Minstrel, I'm still struggling to see how it's better than Farming Village.  FV ensures that you draw a good card.  WM might set up next turn, but you may draw shit this turn.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:16:42 am »

With regards to Wandering Minstrel, I'm still struggling to see how it's better than Farming Village.  FV ensures that you draw a good card.  WM might set up next turn, but you may draw shit this turn.

It is also a very poor card in money decks in my experience (obviously that's not what it's for, but still).  Still, going to be amazing with a Conspirator/Scrying Pool/etc engine.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:26:50 am »

It's better than Farming Village if you are trying to build an engine deck. Farming Village might hit money whereas Minstrel is more likely to get to your engine components.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 02:09:42 am »

Only the first one draws a random card (may or may not be good). Then you can rearrange the top of your deck and the second one will draw the one that you want. Also Farming village isnt guaranteed to draw a good card. Copper and weak treasure aren't helpful most of the time.

Anyway think of WM as more like a village plus a weaker cartographer in one card. That's pretty good.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:19:36 am »

Keep in mind that Madman is crippled by discard attacks -- 3 Madmen on the same turn following a Militia-style attack only gets you 10 cards, which isn't bad, but it's one-shot and usually not enough to end the game. The key is being able to hit with the discard attack every turn, so that the Madman deck never has an opportunity to go off.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:54:17 am »

To echo OP - Madman is AWESOME.  Wandering Minstrel is awesome as well in most decks and there are almost limitless combos.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 05:06:03 pm »
+1

If you're only using it to set up the next turn, you're probably doing it wrong.  Not that setting up your next turn is a bad thing -- that's a nice fallback condition if you can't do better -- but the ideal would be, say, WM+Torturer, and now your Torturer has almost certainly drawn something juicy for WM's second action.

If you fail to collide your WM with your drawer, then as jonts26 says WM+WM stands an excellent chance of pulling it into your hand and triggering your engine.

And if you can't do that, well, yeah, you'll have to wait until next turn.  But it's only then, in this fallback case, that Farming Village looks competitive.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.