Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Watchtower and Fortress  (Read 1784 times)

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
Watchtower and Fortress
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:01:42 am »

Fortress is interesting because it's wording suggests that, once you trash it, when you get it back, you are not "gaining" it again, since the wording says to "put it your hand". I take it this to mean that I can't trash Fortress then use a Watchtower to trash it again, since I am not gaining the Fortress when it boomerangs back into my hand, I am "putting" it in my hand again.

Is this right?

If so, then this seems to me only the second way -- after Masquerade -- that someone can get a card added to their deck/hand/discard without "gaining" it.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4442
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtower and Fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:33:58 am »
+1

Fortress is interesting because it's wording suggests that, once you trash it, when you get it back, you are not "gaining" it again, since the wording says to "put it your hand". I take it this to mean that I can't trash Fortress then use a Watchtower to trash it again, since I am not gaining the Fortress when it boomerangs back into my hand, I am "putting" it in my hand again.

Is this right?

Looks like.

If so, then this seems to me only the second way -- after Masquerade -- that someone can get a card added to their deck/hand/discard without "gaining" it.

Well, Possession kind of does the same: you trash something, and then at the end of the turn it's put in your discard pile.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:07:25 pm »

Interesting. I hadn't thought about it before.

If you use something to gain a fortress during your action phase (workshop, ironworks, armory, etc), then reveal a watchtower and trash the fortress, it goes directly into your hand (which is usually better than top decking assuming you have actions left)

Pretty cool.

A few other uses of watchtower like this. Ironworks a rats, trash it. +1 action, +1 card. Etc.

Ed

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:22:57 pm »

Well, the IW/Rats example is a bit silly, if you use IW to gain and trash the Rats, you would draw the same card that would've been there anyway if you didn't have the IW.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 05:23:32 pm »

Is this right?
Yes.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 05:28:32 pm »

Well, the IW/Rats example is a bit silly, if you use IW to gain and trash the Rats, you would draw the same card that would've been there anyway if you didn't have the IW.

True. It's not a fact combo, but it could be useful opportunistically. There are times when you want an iw in the early game, and them don't want it in mid/late game. Wt is a decent combo with iw. If you happen to draw them together late game you can use it to replace your iw with the next card in your deck...

Ed
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.