Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Forge trashing  (Read 3806 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Forge trashing
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:39:32 am »

What is the specific timing of trashing with forge? The card says you can trash any number of cards from hand but do you trash them together or trash them one by one? This was irrelevant before Dark Ages but now there is the possibility that you trash a fortress, get it back into hand, trash the same fortress again, put it back into hand, and gain a province. Play king's court with your forge and you are probably quite happy.

This question is specifically asked though with the Goko beta in mind. The forge interface seems to have sadly taken a step backwards in the latest version but I can't recommend anything else without knowing this ruling exactly.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
Re: Forge trashing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:45:23 am »

What is the specific timing of trashing with forge? The card says you can trash any number of cards from hand but do you trash them together or trash them one by one?
You trash all of the cards, then resolve when-trashed abilities in an order you choose.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:54:14 am »
+1

From our department of gratuitous rule exegesis:

I think Forge would only count Fortress once even if Donald hadn't just ruled that.

Forge says "Gain a card with cost exactly equal to the total cost in coins of the trashed cards."

To me, this suggests that Forge is saying, "Trash these cards, then look at all those cards -- whether they're in the trash pile or in your cand -- and add their cost together, then gain a card at that cost." Since there's still only one copy of Fortress that has been trashed, it would only count once, even if (despite Donald X.'s timely explanation) you had managed to trash the same Fortress twice.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:30:02 am »
+3

Thanks for the reply. Even before Dark Ages a number of the Goko beta testers had suggested a staging area where you could select cards to trash (forge, trading post) or discard (vault) before an action was executed. It now seems necessary rather than a helpful feature.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 02:05:16 pm »

I think Forge would only count Fortress once even if Donald hadn't just ruled that.

Forge says "Gain a card with cost exactly equal to the total cost in coins of the trashed cards."

To me, this suggests that Forge is saying, "Trash these cards, then look at all those cards -- whether they're in the trash pile or in your cand -- and add their cost together, then gain a card at that cost." Since there's still only one copy of Fortress that has been trashed, it would only count once, even if (despite Donald X.'s timely explanation) you had managed to trash the same Fortress twice.

But it still does matter for other stuff like Cultist or Rats, which draw cards when you trash them.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »

But it still does matter for other stuff like Cultist or Rats, which draw cards when you trash them.

I'm a little unclear what you mean by "it still does matter." You mean the order in which you trash things? For example, if you trash both a Rats and a Cultist with a single Forge action, I believe, since you control both triggers, you can resolve them in whichever order you like. But I'm not sure how that matters, since I don't know that you can do anything between draw triggers.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 03:04:39 pm »
+1

You trash everything you want to Forge, then you resolve effects. You can't trash Rats to Forge, then draw a card, then trash the new card to the same Forge.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 04:00:01 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Even before Dark Ages a number of the Goko beta testers had suggested a staging area where you could select cards to trash (forge, trading post) or discard (vault) before an action was executed. It now seems necessary rather than a helpful feature.

It would be helpful, though technically not necessary.  Forge works properly with Cultist and Fortress (just checked).
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.