Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: getting confirmation: Beggar is screwed by Swindler, Beggar screws Urchin  (Read 2106 times)

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile

This came up this evening: I play Swindler, and my friend, who has Beggar in hand, reveals and discards it. She gains a Silver on top of her deck and gains another to her discard; with that resolved, the Swindler now reveals her top deck card...a Silver, which is trashed allowing me to force her to gain Something Crappy costing $3.

Or, I play Urchin, and my friend reveals Beggar from her hand and discards it, getting two Silvers (one top-decked the other normally gained) and now has only 4 cards in hand, so the Urchin has no effect on her hand.

Right?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile

One doesn't have to reveal Beggar in response to Swindler. However, I'd imagine that Swindler is relatively stronger against Beggar because more Coppers means that there are more targets to change into Curses.

Additionally, if there are only Silver and Swindler as $3 cost cards in the kingdom, then Beggar's defense is relatively effective because the Beggar player "protects" the top card of his deck.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile

Sounds right to me. Beggar will do the same to Minion and Horse Traders to Urchin as well.
As to Swindler, Beggar makes it so that you gain a junk and a silver when someone Swindles instead of lose something you bought and gain a junk. Also, no worries of Copper --> Curse. Seems Beggar is a decent defense to Swindler to me.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: getting confirmation: Beggar is screwed by Swindler, Beggar screws Urchin
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 12:04:10 am »

Also, no worries of Copper --> Curse. Seems Beggar is a decent defense to Swindler to me.

You won't always have a Beggar in hand to defend against Swindler.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
Re: getting confirmation: Beggar is screwed by Swindler, Beggar screws Urchin
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:18:52 am »

Thanks for clarification. It does seem to me that, given Beggar's regular action is to put bunches of coppers in your hand, that makes it relatively bad against Swindler, since it increases the probability in later turns that a Swindler will turn a Copper into a Curse. (And then, if you don't play Beggar's regular action on your turn, it's just a dead card in that hand.)

This seems like a more general problem: Like a lot of reaction cards, the regular action is a little weak in a lot of set-ups and only works naturally as anything more than a reaction in relatively few set-ups.

But yeah, now this is a strategy thread.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.