Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Farmland & Overgrown Estate  (Read 1698 times)

J-Kidder

• Thief
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Farmland & Overgrown Estate
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:22:09 pm »

Just played a game where my wife bought a Farmland and then trashed her Overgrown Estate to gain a Tunnel.  Now can she stil gain a card as a result of trashing OE and if so what if anything can she do with it since she has already played her coin in the buy phase?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Farmland & Overgrown Estate
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:25:32 pm »

She still draws a card for trashing the overgrown estate. (I assume you meant draw, not gain, when you said that?) She cannot play it even  if it's a treasure because she's already played her coins for the buy phase.

If it's a reaction that reacts to you gaining cards (like Trader or Watchtower) she may reveal it in reaction to gaining the Tunnel though. (Because FIRST the OE is trashed, letting her draw a card, and THEN tunnel is gained.) I think that's the only possible way for her to actually use that card in some way before discarding it during clean-up, though perhaps others on this forum can think of more edge cases where it might matter.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:27:00 pm by ftl »

J-Kidder

• Thief
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:37:46 pm »

Thanks for the responce.

Yes, I did mean 'draw'.  Wouldn't the drawing of the card and the gaining of the Tunnel be simultaneous events and thus resolvable in any order she chooses?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:57:54 pm »
+2

I don't think so, no. Farmland says "When you buy this, trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $2 more than the trashed card." So first you trash, then you gain, that's the order things happen. OE says " When you trash this, +1 Card." So when you trash it, you get a card; since the trashing happens before the gaining, you draw the card before the gaining.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 07:10:28 pm »

I don't think so, no. Farmland says "When you buy this, trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $2 more than the trashed card." So first you trash, then you gain, that's the order things happen. OE says " When you trash this, +1 Card." So when you trash it, you get a card; since the trashing happens before the gaining, you draw the card before the gaining.

True. OE's ability happens "when you trash this", which mean immediately upon trashing it. While - as ftl said - Farmland (when buying it) has two instructions: First trash a card, then gain a card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 20 queries.